Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

I don't think it's a case of them not wanting to make a great simulator, more that the people there likely know how to do the heat blur and the reflections, but they weren't experts on the intricacies of how the glass cockpit of a 747 works. So they made a game that looks great and they are still working on the simulation of everything in the plane part.

They basically said from the outset that it was going to primarily be this and that third parties would step in for the truly detailed aircraft. Which is how it's been for every other sim I guess? I don't see how this is really any different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Yeah, I think that's fair, but on the other hand, that makes it a really bizarre choice to go for 99% glass cockpit stuff and especially to hide a lot of non-glass stuff in the premium version.

EDIT: On the plus side, all the non-GPS IFR stuff seems to be reasonably accurately simulated, so it's a good opportunity to practice NDB holds and DME arcs and such, which is honestly more fun and challenging than just shooting ANOTHER loving RNAV.

And to be fair, the ALSIM at work was like "gently caress simulating a GPS, you buy a GPS and we'll figure out how to send simulated signals to it so it works." It's by no means a trivial job, I would just like if the functions or lack thereof were properly documented with workarounds and poo poo.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Mar 18, 2021

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The graphics in the game aren't even that cutting-edge for video games in general. They are leagues beyond anything else in any other flight simulator, of course, but that's because the flight simulator graphics situation is dire. A turbine heat distortion effect is trivial to add; that's like a one-click shader these days. Dynamic lighting and shadowing are also pretty much automatic with any modern game engine. So it doesn't surprise me that they were able to build in a lot of nice graphical effects but didn't do a good job simulating intricate avionics.

The most impressive part of the simulator to me is the clouds. I have never seen clouds this good in any other game anywhere. They really did knock that one out of the park.

Also I agree that they put in way too many planes with glass cockpits. Steam gauges are easy to model and I'm with PT6A. Who gives a poo poo about flying RNAV into JFK? I want to take a 737-200 on an NDB approach to Mexico City in August in a thunderstorm :madmax:

kalleth
Jan 28, 2006

C'mon, just give it a shot
Fun Shoe

beeker posted:

Aerosoft CRJ is out for FS2020 if anyone wants to simulate that they’re on excruciatingly uncomfortable regional flights!

https://www.aerosoft.com/en/microsoft-flight-simulator/msfs-aircraft/3303/aerosoft-aircraft-crj-550/700

Tried this tonight. Two hours in to ground setup, with at least 30 mins of that trying to get reversers working.

Then once I'd got reversers working (push f2 once while levers are at idle), it seems like I broke it. I can only taxi in TOGA thrust, because below TOGA it seems to bounce between reversers on and off, and I go nowhere, and even tho the thrust levers move forward and back correctly, going to the outside view shows REV/THR bouncing on the external gauges.

And you can't bind keys to alt+/alt- at the mo either!

And did I mention (this isn't CRJ specific) but at the moment I get *hard* freezes every 10sec or so for 3 seconds? The game *full on* locks up for a few seconds.

I'm sure it'll be lovely... When it's done. Kinda wishing I'd waited for a sale.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Sagebrush posted:

Also I agree that they put in way too many planes with glass cockpits. Steam gauges are easy to model and I'm with PT6A. Who gives a poo poo about flying RNAV into JFK? I want to take a 737-200 on an NDB approach to Mexico City in August in a thunderstorm :madmax:

Let's be friends!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

In extremely Uncle Monty voice: "I think the 737-200 infinitely more fascinating than the 787. Glass cockpits are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the pilots. There is, you'll agree, a certain 'je ne sais pas' oh so very special about an NDB approach."

EDIT: And similarly to the glass cockpit issue, wow they chose to simulate a lot of aircraft with FADECs for a simulator that's pretty poo poo at simulating them. I mean, what would be wrong with a steam-gauge Seneca II or a Beechcraft Duke (the only chance you'll have to fly one without paying for its bullshit!)?

PT6A fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Mar 18, 2021

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Sagebrush posted:

The graphics in the game aren't even that cutting-edge for video games in general. They are leagues beyond anything else in any other flight simulator, of course, but that's because the flight simulator graphics situation is dire. A turbine heat distortion effect is trivial to add; that's like a one-click shader these days. Dynamic lighting and shadowing are also pretty much automatic with any modern game engine. So it doesn't surprise me that they were able to build in a lot of nice graphical effects but didn't do a good job simulating intricate avionics.

The elephant farting quietly in the dark corner of the room is the fact that this thing is apparently still based on FSX code. Which of course is based on 2004.

Which is based on 2002.

Which is based on 2000.

loving thing must be an absolute spaghetti nightmare.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Is the G1000/430 in Prepar3d custom done or was it based on the the FSX codebase? Because that thing, despite its foibles, still works more or less properly compared to FS2020.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

MrYenko posted:

The elephant farting quietly in the dark corner of the room is the fact that this thing is apparently still based on FSX code. Which of course is based on 2004.

Which is based on 2002.

Which is based on 2000.

Wow is this true? Or is this true in the sense that like every Call of Duty game has some traces of Quake 3 code in them somewhere.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

FS2020 contains the entire FSX simulation engine, at least, because you can import old FSX planes and toggle it to use the old flight model.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0vpxK0Ub8U

Also there is a post on the FS forums now that the devs are looking into performance issues with the last update.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Zero One posted:

Also there is a post on the FS forums now that the devs are looking into performance issues with the last update.

Thread title checks out again

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Zero One posted:

Last update? Try the whole loving game lol. I have a feeling we won't see acceptable performance for another 2 or 3 graphic card gens.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Biggest hopes are in the DX12 renderer and the assumed parallelization of things.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

soggybagel posted:

Wow is this true? Or is this true in the sense that like every Call of Duty game has some traces of Quake 3 code in them somewhere.

Good company with Bethesda, who to this day are essentially releasing beefed up Morrowind

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Oh a cool little feature in the FBW mod: you can change the no smoking signs to "No electronic devices" signs.

I guess more real airlines are changing out their lighted signs to match the times.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Having crappy default planes with limited systems was okay in FSX. But then X-Plane 11 came out with a full Garmin 430/530/1000 simulation and a mostly-functional Rockwell-Collins FMS, and the freeware Zibo 737-800 has a fully functioning Boeing FMS. In that ecosystem you can’t release a faux-G1000 and expect to be taken seriously.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Oh I got a FUN new issue... runway tears. When landing or taking off the runway might tear and put up big cracks and walls. On takeoff my nosewheel hit one and literally did a front flip and landed on its back.

But worse is crashing on landing after flying for 6 hours...

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

PT6A posted:

Is the G1000/430 in Prepar3d custom done or was it based on the the FSX codebase? Because that thing, despite its foibles, still works more or less properly compared to FS2020.

It's essentially the FSX software, since it uses the same (decade old) database FSX ran, and as far as I can tell, it has the same functions and bugs I remember in FSX.

The odd part about the MSFS one being so broken is that they're supposedly partnering with Garmin, and Garmin has PC simulators of the G430 and GNS530 available for free, so it's kind of baffling that Asobo seems to have taken zero advantage of there already being working Garmin simulators available.

MrYenko posted:

Which is based on 2002.

Which is based on 2000.

I'm not sure how much FSX code is actually running in MSFS, since it uses a somewhat different file structure than the MS/LockMart sims, and seems to have abandoned support for things like 2d gauges in the virtual cockpits, which means it's largely not backwards compatible with older aircraft.

There's definitely some bits of FSX running around in there (since it'll support .pln and .flt files from the old sims), but I think stuff like the "legacy" flight model is closer to an emulator, since it's totally incompatible with the new flight modeling system.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Mar 19, 2021

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I did my first round trip from Geneva->Venice->Geneva. With the FBW mod I was able to load up flight plans and fuel from Sim Brief which made it super easy... especially on turnaround. Rain and clouds in Geneva but sunny skies in Venice.

I only had two issues... first was that the FS ATC didn't seem to want to clear me any higher than ~15,000 feet after takeoff. I did have my correct CRZ loaded into the FMC before getting IFR clearance. I'm not sure if I did anything wrong or if its just FS ATC being bad. (Edit: after researching FS ATC is bad). I ended up manually requesting my CRZ and the ATC did work fine assigning altitudes on descent. Also my FO did not want to take over the radio after leaving Venice. But they did start talking again after landing back in Geneva.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 20, 2021

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Are there any modern flight sims where you fly a helicopter around and do (non-combat) missions? Like Sim Copter but with realistic helicopters, basically.

I've been playing DCS helicopters a lot lately and I love just flying around, but I also like objectives and stuff to complete. I've found a few dynamic missions for DCS Huey, one where you fly around Syria doing random medi-vacs and poo poo, and one where you haul lumber using the cargo winch. They're really fun, but I'm new to non-WWII flight sims so I don't know what's out there. Any recommendations?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Not a helicopter sim expert but assuming they're not any more advanced than the state of the art flight sim objective mods which rudimentarily hook into sim connect to give you points for being in a certain place, you may be interested in Stormworks. Its an open world coast guard sim with an element builder workbench but you can easily download a bunch of popular helicopters off the marketplace, many of which will have fairly realistic avionics and encourage fairly realistic helicopter control if you look out for the realism focused ones.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Trillhouse posted:

Are there any modern flight sims where you fly a helicopter around and do (non-combat) missions? Like Sim Copter but with realistic helicopters, basically.

I've been playing DCS helicopters a lot lately and I love just flying around, but I also like objectives and stuff to complete. I've found a few dynamic missions for DCS Huey, one where you fly around Syria doing random medi-vacs and poo poo, and one where you haul lumber using the cargo winch. They're really fun, but I'm new to non-WWII flight sims so I don't know what's out there. Any recommendations?

You are aware of the DLC campaigns for Huey and Mi8?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Trillhouse posted:

Take On Helicopters. Watch some reviews first though, there's reasons it has mixed reviews.

Some of that is Arma people coming over expecting Arma flight physics while using a keyboard, and some of it is from actual pilots as the flight characteristics are lacking. I found it fun for a bit, but I have zero experience in a helicopter.

Edit: Oh man, this might not even count as modern anymore, came out in 2011.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

zedprime posted:

Not a helicopter sim expert but assuming they're not any more advanced than the state of the art flight sim objective mods which rudimentarily hook into sim connect to give you points for being in a certain place, you may be interested in Stormworks. Its an open world coast guard sim with an element builder workbench but you can easily download a bunch of popular helicopters off the marketplace, many of which will have fairly realistic avionics and encourage fairly realistic helicopter control if you look out for the realism focused ones.

This sounds awesome. I'm checking it out right now.

Edit: The top review on Steam for Stormworks is negative with 2,300 hours played. lmao never change steam reviewers.

Vahakyla posted:

You are aware of the DLC campaigns for Huey and Mi8?

Yeah I'm working through the Huey campaigns right now. Just wondering if there's anything else out there. I'm so pumped for the Hind and Apache in DCS too. Maybe the early access hind comes out this week? I hope.

My ideal game would be something like MS Flight Sim, but with helicopters and procedurally made missions. "Go here and pickup car crash victim", "go here and rescue guy stuck on mountain", "Pick up water from lake and dump it on forest fire", stuff like that.

Trillhouse fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 21, 2021

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
X-Plane 11 has this: https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/51821-helicopter-rescue-missions/

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Trillhouse posted:

This sounds awesome. I'm checking it out right now.

Edit: The top review on Steam for Stormworks is negative with 2,300 hours played. lmao never change steam reviewers.

Yeah I'm working through the Huey campaigns right now. Just wondering if there's anything else out there. I'm so pumped for the Hind and Apache in DCS too. Maybe the early access hind comes out this week? I hope.

My ideal game would be something like MS Flight Sim, but with helicopters and procedurally made missions. "Go here and pickup car crash victim", "go here and rescue guy stuck on mountain", "Pick up water from lake and dump it on forest fire", stuff like that.

There are DCS multiplayer servers that have that exact kind of mission setup. You can select from different kinds of missions like medevac, transport, or firefighting. Fill your helicopter up and drop them off at the hospital! Or in a fire! The servers track your successes and failures for some stats. They're called 'Search and Rescue' I believe.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Trillhouse posted:

https://www.neofly.net/ has procedurally made missions for FS2020, including some of the "medevac car crash victims" type.

It's just a point on the map to fly to, so you just have to imagine that there's a car crash or whatever, and FS2020 doesn't have helicopters yet, but they say they're coming...sometime. You can always fly the Shock Ultra which is basically a helicopter.

I agree that I would love a new SimCopter or Streets of SimCity type game.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I secured a 3060Ti this weekend. OH MY GOD THE GAME RUNS SO GOOD NOW. I built a pc back in August and haven’t been able to run this game at higher than 20fps. Oh my god I’m crying.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Thanks for the tips guys. I didn't even know about DCS online search and rescue missions. How cool!

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Helicopter rescues are dope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0z9HRC7hlU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

After some testing, traditional radionav works better than the GPS, but there's still some weird poo poo. How am I getting a signal from a VOR that's further away than an NDB I can't receive from 30nm away with line of sight? Obviously there has to be some kind of distance calculation going on, it's just... a really illogical one. Oh well.

I've been playing around with the Working Title CJ4 and it seems very good, even if I'm not yet an expert on the FMS.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Sagebrush posted:

https://www.neofly.net/ has procedurally made missions for FS2020, including some of the "medevac car crash victims" type.

It's just a point on the map to fly to, so you just have to imagine that there's a car crash or whatever, and FS2020 doesn't have helicopters yet, but they say they're coming...sometime. You can always fly the Shock Ultra which is basically a helicopter.

I agree that I would love a new SimCopter or Streets of SimCity type game.

Neofly also has intercept missions now where it spawns a plane to catch, which are quite fun.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Trillhouse posted:

Microsoft Flight Sim 2020 is eventually getting this.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

soggybagel posted:

I secured a 3060Ti this weekend. OH MY GOD THE GAME RUNS SO GOOD NOW. I built a pc back in August and haven’t been able to run this game at higher than 20fps. Oh my god I’m crying.

what sort of frame rates are you getting now and at what settings?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

The Working Title CJ4 is, uh, very good. Check it out if you haven't already. I mean, it's not 100% perfect/complete, but it mostly seems right and at no point does it make me go "oh cock, why's it done THAT?" At least everything that's simulated seems to work as intended.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

It’s also worth noting that there are a ton of very well-made helicopters for X-Plane. Devs I’d start with include Dreamfoil, CowanSim and VSKYLABS.

(pictured: CowanSim Bell 222)

Also, if you don’t mind being shot at, ArmA is full of opportunities to be a transport pilot, dropping off and picking up squads in combat zones both in custom missions and more sandboxy online situations.

Shart Carbuncle fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Mar 22, 2021

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

I said come in! posted:

what sort of frame rates are you getting now and at what settings?

I need to experiment more but from my memory I had things set on mostly low settings and the default "normal" with the old video card and was getting on average 15fps or so.

Now I have most settings on high or ultra and I'm pretty much a rock solid 30 though on testing a few cities it will drop into around 25fps or so when you say make a bank turn and a large new skyline is there or something but then it kind of normalizes.

I have a Ryzen 7 3700x and 32 gigs of ram. I just was stuck using a 970GTX as a placeholder card since September and haven't been able to acquire a new video card until now. I'm going to mess with settings and check out some more youtube videos this week on what I can do to mess with visual quality but it just looks and feels so good right now just to be at 30FPS

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I would pay a lot of dollars for a remake of Sim Copter on MSFS, especially if it reworked a few cities to super-high fidelity for proper missions and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Akion posted:

I would pay a lot of dollars for a remake of Sim Copter on MSFS, especially if it reworked a few cities to super-high fidelity for proper missions and stuff.

GTA V style small but super detailed map for a heli sim would be awesome.