Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

pentyne posted:

The casting for those movies was pretty great in general.

Micheal B. Jordan? Kate Mara? Jamie Bell?

Of all the problems with FANT4STIC the cast were not one of them.

The prior 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Gonna be a long 5 day until Friday!

your username works well with that post

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Azhais posted:

Not to mention you'd probably end up with burned down cities as suddenly there wasn't power maintenance, blipped ovens being left on, firefighters vanishing, etc. They really did a half assed job on the snap aftermath
The Leftovers only had 2% disappear, but there were still towns where nobody disappeared and I think they mentioned one where everyone disappeared. I wanted to see something like that in the MCU. Just an entire town that got completely snapped due to the law of averages, and people came back to a place in disrepair that's overgrown with nature retaking it. Or a place where everyone vanished except for one person could make for some compelling stories.

Azhais posted:

Rewatch the bank scene. He was asked that very question. "didn't Stark pay you guys? My condolences by the way." "Naw, it didn't work that way. There was a lot of goodwill, and sometimes people like to help out"
See, I can buy that Tony paid for everything and now that he's dead and the Avengers are mostly dissolved nobody has that sweet sweet allowance anymore, but what bothers me is that Tony Stark absolutely had a will. That's how Peter Parker got his tech in Far From Home. So unless he left literally everything to ONLY Pepper and Peter, it seems weird and tonally off to not divide up some wealth to the rest of his team. Stark's entire character arc was him learning to be selfless. Falcon shouldn't need to ask Pepper for a loan, he should already have a cushy nest egg from Stark's death. Granted Falcon was gone for 5 years right up until about 20 minutes before Stark died, but once the Avengers started enacting the time travel plan, you'd think he'd have the foresight to say "divvy up my assets to everyone on the Avengers team, including the ones that come back if this plan works". It screams of selective storytelling, ignoring the parts that are inconvenient because they don't serve the plot they want.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

sticklefifer posted:

The Leftovers only had 2% disappear, but there were still towns where nobody disappeared and I think they mentioned one where everyone disappeared. I wanted to see something like that in the MCU. Just an entire town that got completely snapped due to the law of averages, and people came back to a place in disrepair that's overgrown with nature retaking it. Or a place where everyone vanished except for one person could make for some compelling stories.

See, I can buy that Tony paid for everything and now that he's dead and the Avengers are mostly dissolved nobody has that sweet sweet allowance anymore, but what bothers me is that Tony Stark absolutely had a will. That's how Peter Parker got his tech in Far From Home. So unless he left literally everything to ONLY Pepper and Peter, it seems weird and tonally off to not divide up some wealth to the rest of his team. Stark's entire character arc was him learning to be selfless. Falcon shouldn't need to ask Pepper for a loan, he should already have a cushy nest egg from Stark's death. Granted Falcon was gone for 5 years right up until about 20 minutes before Stark died, but once the Avengers started enacting the time travel plan, you'd think he'd have the foresight to say "divvy up my assets to everyone on the Avengers team, including the ones that come back if this plan works". It screams of selective storytelling, ignoring the parts that are inconvenient because they don't serve the plot they want.

unnffffffffff

e:

sebmojo posted:

this is a frustrating conversation lol

he probably had some money he probably wasn't insanely rich but his sister didn't want his money so he offered to help co sign a loan

ah yes but he was actually well off and would have totally got the loan or could have helped by buying the boat

yes he probably had some money though he probably wasn't insanely rich but his sister didn't want his money so he offered to help co sign a loan

but he was actually well off and would have totally got the loan or could have helped by buying the boat

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Everyone posted:

Well, the Social Realist in me says that what happened in that bank was absolutely plausible, realistic and likely happens every loving day to people of color and other minorities. That same Social Realist also recognizes the value and necessity of showing that the banker does not have to call Sam and Sarah "ni----s" or burn a cross on their lawn to be a racist piece of poo poo. Of showing that racism can be and often is subtle and even "reasonable."

And for the record, I am a 52 year old straight, White CIS-gender male from the South. You think I can't recognize people (unconsciously?) trying to devalue, dis-empower and dismiss as "unrealistic" the story and experiences being told and shown here? I am completely familiar with the stench of that particular bouquet. God forgive my stupid younger self, but I dealt that stench a few times.

I did not expect to encounter quite so much of it here in this thread. Well, live and learn.

I won't edit this, but I will clarify it. No, I'm not saying that anyone who thinks that Sam's situation with the bank is unrealistic is willfully blind racist gently caress. What I am saying is that the "social realism" of Sam's finances is as important to this story as the physical realism of the Helicarrier's turbines was to the Avengers. The really important part is that black people and other minorities will watch that scene in the bank and recognize themselves in Sam and Sarah and how they were treated. Perhaps just as important if not moreso, there will be a whole lot of white/privileged people who will recognize themselves in the banker. They'll remember treating other people, minority people, like Sam and Sarah got treat. That's a vital, important thing. Because the first step, always, in dealing with a problem, particularly a problem like biases or racism, is to recognize that it exists in the first place.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

"Hey we're gonna restore 50% of all life in the universe but hold off for a few days while I visit my lawyers and get this taken care of in case we succeed. Gotta wait for the courts to be open anyways to file so let's take a long weekend"

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

pentyne posted:

"Hey we're gonna restore 50% of all life in the universe but hold off for a few days while I visit my lawyers and get this taken care of in case we succeed. Gotta wait for the courts to be open anyways to file so let's take a long weekend"

He could have easily set up an Avengers foundation that funds the team.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Spacebump posted:

He could have easily set up an Avengers foundation that funds the team.

if only there was an avenger known for his short-sightedness and how often that comes back to haunt him and the people he cares about

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Nikumatic posted:

if only there was an avenger known for his short-sightedness and how often that comes back to haunt him and the people he cares about

im sorry that's too implausible and contrary to social realism

e: lol ok i'm gonna stop reading this thread for a bit

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

Terror Sweat posted:

your best Captain America story

[ citation needed ]

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
This is the gooniest thread on the forums right now. It’s like early 2000s levels of obliviousness in here.

WHY DOES SAM, THE LARGER HUMAN, NOT SIMPLY EAT THE BANKER???

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

pentyne posted:

The casting for those movies was pretty great in general. I would even say the 2005/7 movies weren't failures but the 2015 was.

Micheal B. Jordan? Kate Mara? Jamie Bell?

Of all the problems with FANT4STIC the cast were not one of them.

Eh, I think Teller was pretty wildly miscast in Fant4stic, as was Kebbell (though he wasn't nearly as awful a Doom as Julian McMahon was).

Terror Sweat posted:

drat Disney, you cheap fucks. Give the man a producers credit and throw him some bucks, he's the guy who created your best Captain America story and the basis of your tv show

This is nothing new for Disney, given how openly they're loving over Alan Dean Foster and other Star Wars authors.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Can we talk about how sick a Jimmy Woo and Darcy Lewis Agents of Atlas X-Files type series would be?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Why isn't Peter Parker a Musk/Job Billionaire on just selling his web making formula to construction/medicine/transport companies.
Dumb rear end hokes bins for 386 computers.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

pentyne posted:

I'm sure he'd have a whole legal team on retainer who could make those changes on the fly, or have adjusted his will beforehand to apply to all living Avengers after the Battle of New York where he was traumatized at facing his death. And I get that Falcon's sister didn't want a handout, but he should be set for life at this point; a bank doesn't just refuse based on income, they examine how much you're worth too.

Is there any confirmation yet where we know exactly when this takes place in relation to FFH? Presumably it's Endgame > WandaVision > then either FFH or FATWS, but I'm not sure which comes first. Both said it's been "a few months" since then, but you'd think people would know about the Hex and/or Mysterio's attacks in Europe by now.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

sticklefifer posted:

I'm sure he'd have a whole legal team on retainer who could make those changes on the fly, or have adjusted his will beforehand to apply to all living Avengers after the Battle of New York where he was traumatized at facing his death. And I get that Falcon's sister didn't want a handout, but he should be set for life at this point; a bank doesn't just refuse based on income, they examine how much you're worth too.

Is there any confirmation yet where we know exactly when this takes place in relation to FFH? Presumably it's Endgame > WandaVision > then either FFH or FATWS, but I'm not sure which comes first. Both said it's been "a few months" since then, but you'd think people would know about the Hex and/or Mysterio's attacks in Europe by now.

FFH takes place 8 months after Endgame, so this is probably pre-FFH

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Stark definitely reads like the type to absolutely not care to update his will. And also comrades in battle aside, there's absolutely nothing to indicate he likes Sam, or even thinks about him.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Sam says he has been working with the Navy for six months in the Tunisia scene. I imagine he's a motivated person like Monica and probably didn't sit around long before jumping back into work once Endgame was over.

sebmojo posted:

your username works well with that post

TVIV... TVIV never changes.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Piell posted:

FFH takes place 8 months after Endgame, so this is probably pre-FFH

The sources I've read said that Far From Home also took place eight months after the events of Endgame. So, presumably FatWS is happening either concurrently with FFH or just before/after it. I'd be inclined to think that FatWS takes place shortly after FFH simply because that movie had a pretty strict two-week maximum story time limit. FatWS could likely unfold over several weeks or months.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

AJA posted:

[ citation needed ]

Brubaker's run is absolutely up there for best Cap story. There would only be competition from Gruenwald's stories.

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

Codependent Poster posted:

Brubaker's run is absolutely up there for best Cap story.
Eh, it's no CapWolf

There would only be competition from Gruenwald's stories.
:cool: :hf: :cool:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Brubaker's run is absolutely up there for best Cap story. There would only be competition from Gruenwald's stories.

I will not stand for this Kirby erasure. You better not be leaving out Madbomb.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Interestingly, they list WandaVision before falcon in the Disney+ “watch everything chronologically“ series.

Just saw Captain Marvel, it was pretty middle of the road but for a Marvel movie that means that laughs, excitement and fun set pieces.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

“So did stark give you any money”
“No”
-The TV show.

Half a dozen people in this thread:
“He should’ve just asked stark for some money”

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Golden Bee posted:

Interestingly, they list WandaVision before falcon in the Disney+ “watch everything chronologically“ series.

Wandavision is a few weeks (like 3 at most? more or less) after Endgame, if I recall. F&WS is "several months" after Endgame.

So yeah, Bucky and Falcon's adventures could be starting a bit before Far from Home.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Golden Bee posted:

The prior 4

literal captain america Chris Evans

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

happyhippy posted:

Why isn't Peter Parker a Musk/Job Billionaire on just selling his web making formula to construction/medicine/transport companies.
Dumb rear end hokes bins for 386 computers.

Have they ever done a comic book series where Stark is a struggling guy in Queens? I don’t know how it would even work because being a CEO is so central to his story, what is there a what if like “what if Tony Stark was working class?”

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
It's all moot now because Falcon is a PMC in this show and they make filthy dirty amounts of tax-free money

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
found another one

https://www.firstshowing.net/2009/where-are-all-the-stars-tom-hiddleston-also-joins-thor/

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yvonmukluk posted:

I will not stand for this Kirby erasure. You better not be leaving out Madbomb.

Madbomb is good, but I think the Winter Soldier is the best, and Captain America No More second best. I forgot about Waid, but I personally would put him behind Brubaker and Gruenwald.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

It is funny that a show that has an amazing depiction of racism in America shows the US military is concerned about violating international air space. Is Libya going to scramble their jets?

The Air Force is thanked in the credits, so obviously they can’t portray them realistically, but it’s super weird. Marvel’s view of state power is that it always corrupted by betrayers, shadowy evil figures who want to nuke New York, literal aliens... it reminds me how the Netflix shows always had the NYPD as the villain for at least one episode of the first season.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Golden Bee posted:

Have they ever done a comic book series where Stark is a struggling guy in Queens? I don’t know how it would even work because being a CEO is so central to his story, what is there a what if like “what if Tony Stark was working class?”

Probably a bunch of What Ifs and alternate universes and then in the main universe there have been working class tech based heroes and stuff but nah Tony Stark has only ever been like, temporarily embarrassed still rich guy I think.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

quote:

So is Natalie Portman going to star in Marvel’s “Thor”? That’s the word on the street from blogger/journo Nikki Finke (who insists she’s not a blogger even though she basically is) who generally has some spot-on sources.

She says despite Marvel wanting to go after Josh Hartnett for the villain Loki (Thor’s mischievous evil brother) they want to cast a relative unknown for the part of Thor and the suggestions so far jive with the gossip — as Alexandar Skarsgard, who was already rumored to be up for the role, is part of her list of actors that the studio is eyeing.

Apart from Skarsgard, also reportedly in contention to play Thor are British actors, Charlie Hunnam (The British expat from Apatow’s “Undeclared”!) and Tom Hiddleston (HBO’s “The Gathering Storm”), Liam Hemsworth (who was apparently offered a role in “The Expendables”), and Joel Kinnaman (a Swedish-American actor). Though evidently Marvel wouldn’t mind seeing Hartnett play Thor as well.

the world in which Tom Hiddleston was cast as Thor is a hilarious one, also pre-Sons of Anarchy Charlie Hunnam

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Rewatched the first episode and that wink at the end is :discourse:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Lid posted:

the world in which Tom Hiddleston was cast as Thor is a hilarious one, also pre-Sons of Anarchy Charlie Hunnam

I don't think either of them really have the physical presence I'd want out of thor. Skarsgard could have been fun

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Lid posted:

Charlie Hunnam is so completely and utterly devoid of charisma, the idea of him as Thor is kind of breaking my brain. I legitimately cannot imagine him delivering some of the dialogue from the first Thor, like when he walks into the pet store demanding a horse. I honestly cannot conceptualize it in my head.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Azhais posted:

I don't think either of them really have the physical presence I'd want out of thor. Skarsgard could have been fun

Skarsgard seems to have gone the Brad Pitt route of having leading man good looks but has the charisma of a supporting character actor so he ends up being woefully miscast. He was best in Generation Kill and nothing has touched that since.

Like how did they cast him as Randall Flagg in The Stand - the whole character is meant to be physically repulsive and scares people out of their minds but with innate charisma from being so terrifying, not to mention how the TV's version of the Stand seemed to entirely miss that Vegas under him was meant to be an extreme oppressive state and not an extreme liberal but that wasn't his fault.

Lid fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 21, 2021

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's interesting that Wandavision was going to come after Black Widow, Shang-Chi, Eternals and FatWS before covid hosed the world. I wonder what (if anything) was different in the original draft. Knowing the MCU there must have been some reveals and callbacks that had to be reworked.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Lid posted:

Skarsgard seems to have gone the Brad Pitt route of having leading man good looks but has the charisma of a supporting character actor so he ends up being woefully miscast. He was best in Generation Kill and nothing has touched that since.

You just reminded me of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ft7kkXO98c

Now I want some kind of crossover in which Cap's squad of commandos meet another group of soldiers dead-set on "killing some Nat-zies."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Golden Bee posted:

It is funny that a show that has an amazing depiction of racism in America shows the US military is concerned about violating international air space. Is Libya going to scramble their jets?

The Air Force is thanked in the credits, so obviously they can’t portray them realistically, but it’s super weird. Marvel’s view of state power is that it always corrupted by betrayers, shadowy evil figures who want to nuke New York, literal aliens... it reminds me how the Netflix shows always had the NYPD as the villain for at least one episode of the first season.

I can't remember which video I watched that explained it, but basically the military has a lot of pull when you start using their equipment.