Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Insert name here posted:

Thinking of picking up Final Fantasy 15 for 50% off but I heard the PC version had some pretty bad technical issues? Can anyone confirm if it ever got fixed?

The worst technical problems it has is stuttering on some machines due to the Steam workshop integration. This is fixed by buying it on another storefront. I have no idea why they never rolled back the workshop stuff or made it opt in but :shrug:

2 out of 3 computers I played it on had no issues though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, how's Curious Expedition 2? I liked the original, but didn't end up playing that much. Not sure why, really

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Xaris posted:

Yeah. It's actually incredible it's been 8 years and 7 Days To Die is still an alpha. They are still making improvements, and did an engine update a little awhile back (that was both good/bad), I picked it up when it first hit and have played it with a friend a couple of times in the intervening years, one as recently a 2019. It's sad because there is A LOT of good in there, there's a lot of base building setting up shooting gallery and turrets and traps and funneling zombie hordes through gauntlets while you and your friends deplete your ammo. Underground bunkers, giant penis skyscrapers, shooting outposts, you name it. Resources go farther in the game than they do in Valheim so you get to build a lot more. There's a lot of scavenging Cities and getting creative making scalfolding on the outside to get in from the top or busting in a wall kool-aid man style. It's tense as gently caress trying to raid bookstores to unlock that one recipe before night sets. PvP is also there and adds another layer of fun and tense-ness to it htat you can't find elsewhere that option but it's an buggy engine that's easily hacked and most requires you poopsock with friends so you'll probably be playing PvE servers or hybrid servers with hostile cities and safe outlands.

7DTD does better in resource attrition than Valheim does, you're basically safe all the time in Valheim except rarely as you stop a simple Troll invasion and just end up with massive pool of resources. The resource gathering in Valheim (Crypts / Copper) is also less interesting than acquiring resources in 7DTD. Combat in both games is a bit slippery and a little janky but Stamina w/ parry makes it a little more interesting in Valheim and the shooting guns part just feels very floaty and unresponsive when zombies fall backwards.

There really could be a very good game refined out of it, but I think the devs have been way over their head for years and just can't get to that state with the resources they have. and despite still updating it, seem a bit checked out.

I watch the Neebs Gaming vids on 7 Days and they make it super fun looking, but its probably lots of fun when playing with a bunch of friends and trying to make a fun youtube series out of it. Even though its got a lot of jank that only games made in Unity can have. I've tried loading it but it always crashes or is so slow to run the second i get into it i never get very far solo.

I loaded up BFV just to check if my account was the same on Gamepass/EAPlay it was on origin and yea, it is. Which is great because I hate loading Origin because it always logs me out and i have to put my password in every time i load it. This is the same reason I stopped playing Simpsons Tapped Out on my phone because i hate entering passwords constantly. Anyways, my poo poo was all there, and bonus, a lot of people were playing. When i was playing over a year ago, even the offical servers were fairly low pops, only maybe one or two were full, and most were around 75% capacity, while at the same time BF1 servers were still full at the time. Either people started playing or there has been an influx of people playing since it was added to gamepass?

Though i don't have the HD space for it, if i've bought Sims4 expansions, would they show up if i install it through the EAplay? I figure if it knows i have unlocked the Bren Gun in BFV it should know i bought Sims4 seasons.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I feel like I could really chill out with The Hunter, but I don't really like the idea of hunting animals as my end goal. But then without that, the game just becomes a hiking simulator?

Wait, is that what I want???

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I want The Hunter except you can invade other people's games Dark Souls style to murder players trying to kill these majestic innocent animals.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

GrandpaPants posted:

I feel like I could really chill out with The Hunter, but I don't really like the idea of hunting animals as my end goal. But then without that, the game just becomes a hiking simulator?

Morels: The Hunt. And you don't even kill the fungi by picking their fruiting bodies!

E: Gold-plated Games Review

Stickman fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Mar 22, 2021

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The worst technical problems it has is stuttering on some machines due to the Steam workshop integration. This is fixed by buying it on another storefront. I have no idea why they never rolled back the workshop stuff or made it opt in but :shrug:

2 out of 3 computers I played it on had no issues though.

They did finally fix the Steam version something like 18 months after the avatara update that busted it was released. They fixed it right as I finished the game and DLC, of course.

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

The game gives you a camera, so you could always just walk around pretty forests and pretend to be a nature photographer.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Vastakaiun posted:

The game gives you a camera, so you could always just walk around pretty forests and pretend to be a nature photographer.
Kinda legitimately can't - unlocking further locations costs money, which you have to hunt at least some game for.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

One thing I've always struggled with in The Hunter- with stalking, how quickly are you supposed to move when you don't know if any animals are around? I tend to walk or run until I hear a call, stop for 30-60 seconds, then start slow-crawling in an arc towards somewhere downwind of the call where I can get a good look, and that mostly kinda-sorta works. But the few times I've just, like, put my guy on slow crawl auto-forward and spent 20 minutes creeping 300m while watching netflix in the other window, my animal density goes way up.

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

Kinda legitimately can't - unlocking further locations costs money, which you have to hunt at least some game for.

Hunting stands, sure, but outposts and changing maps were free last time I played.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Vastakaiun posted:

Hunting stands, sure, but outposts and changing maps were free last time I played.
I thought you have to buy access to new hunting reserves, but maybe I'm mixing this up with a fishing game I also played. In that case disregard.

boof
Jun 3, 2001

GrandpaPants posted:

This is pretty much exactly how I play the game. I've sunk a good 15+ hours into it and haven't hunted a single animal yet. It is an exceptionally beautiful game to just walk around in - I put on a few podcasts and use it to unwind and take screenshots.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Just another tuesday in Finland, I see.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

Death Stranding is the ultimate hiking simulator.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Omi no Kami posted:

One thing I've always struggled with in The Hunter- with stalking, how quickly are you supposed to move when you don't know if any animals are around? I tend to walk or run until I hear a call, stop for 30-60 seconds, then start slow-crawling in an arc towards somewhere downwind of the call where I can get a good look, and that mostly kinda-sorta works. But the few times I've just, like, put my guy on slow crawl auto-forward and spent 20 minutes creeping 300m while watching netflix in the other window, my animal density goes way up.

If you're walking or running you have like a 200 yard bubble around you where animals get spooked (in your player statistics it shows the number of animals you have scared btw). Hunting on the run is not well suited to maps without long sightlines. For the best results go to drinking spots at drinking times. The overall amount of animals is pretty fixed I think (savegame viewer shows 2000 to 3000 depending on the map), a new animal will spawn if you kill one.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

GrandpaPants posted:

I feel like I could really chill out with The Hunter, but I don't really like the idea of hunting animals as my end goal.

You'd love a little gem called monster hunter

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Is there a version of this game where you makes friends with all the pretty animals?
Like I said before, there's zero reason not to have a photo-hunting mode. Except that would go over more poorly with the target audience that a female \ gay protagonist.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Xander77 posted:

Like I said before, there's zero reason not to have a photo-hunting mode. Except that would go over more poorly with the target audience that a female \ gay protagonist.

To be fair the characters you spend a lot of time listening to in the game - tend to be one per reserve who walk you through quests - are fairly diverse. Several women, different races. And you can make your character a woman or any skin colour you like too. I wish there was an official photo-hunting mode but nothing in the game is locked off behind killing animals except buying more equipment to kill animals. The reserves are real-money transactions, nothing to do with what you do in the game.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Xander77 posted:

There are missions where you have to take photos, the reasom that's not a full fledged mode seems to have more to do with them seemingly barely being able to keep the thing not breaking all the time as it is.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

lunar detritus posted:

Death Stranding is the ultimate hiking simulator.

...Until you're fighting for your drat life against a giant inky whale.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012

JollyBoyJohn posted:

You'd love a little gem called monster hunter

After smashing a peaceful animal that was just chillin in the face with a body part of another animal, I'm pretty convinced the title of that series doesn't refer to "hunter of monsters" but "hunter that is a monster".

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hunter Which Is More Monst Than Usual

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Tell Me Why

Good but sort of a let down compared to Dontnod's previous titles. There's no special charm to it like the Life is Strange games aside from making the main character trans and having that come up from time to time during the game. The story and memory mechanics stand out the most as the investigation leads the twins to have to agree which version of past events is true. It sort of changes how the twins see their past in light of constantly re-evaluating what kind of person their abusive mother was. The Rashoman effect is pretty cool to see how it ends up influencing the narrative depending on you who side with.

Each episode takes about 3 hours to play through if exploring the locations and digging up every piece of information you can, which is kind of the point of these games. The side cast are there to give the twins other people to talk to during their investigation, either as people to question about what happened in the past, or just have casual conversations about life and the future.

The graphics are decent, but most floating objects like hair or clothing will often clip or get stuck, and the lip movement frequently doesn't match the audio. Any close up animations for things like hands is also pretty stiff, and occasionally the characters' faces look frozen while they are trying to express emotions leading to some pretty awkward expressions.

The music was kind of unmemorable. Each episode had 1 song that played over the start and nothing else that I can remember. The audio cues for using your memory power were more distinctive then anything else I heard in the game.

Overall it really gives off the feeling like its a Lite version of their previous adventure games, with everything kind of cut down to make a budget title that wraps up in 3 episodes instead of 5. It does have pretty good pacing and you go from place to place solving the mystery without distraction or hassle so maybe a shorter episode order means they cut their typical game filler and focus on the core plot. Worth it for fans of adventure games or mysteries, as it manages to be just creative enough to avoid being too obvious or underwhelming.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I can't decide what to play, someone pick exactly one of these and I'll play it for at least twenty minutes

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?
Ratropolis. The rats look cute.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Katreus posted:

Ratropolis. The rats look cute.

Thanks!

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Deakul posted:

...Until you're fighting for your drat life against a giant inky whale.

I mean, you haven't had to do that every so often on your hikes? Must be nice where you live.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Okay, this is really cute:

Ever play Kingdom: Two Crowns? This is that, but by way of deckbuilding and mice and an emphasis on tower defense. I like it! Thanks for picking it!

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I see a new NieR is coming out in a few weeks. Everyone keeps telling me to play NieR: Automata, so I guess it's time. From what I can tell, the Xbox Game Pass version is superior to the Steam version because it has a bunch of updates that somehow didn't make it to Steam? If so, I guess I'll pay the $10 a month to play it there.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The NieR coming soon is a remake of the original NieR, which was previously stuck on the PS3/360

Automata is mostly standalone but does call back to the original NieR so given the choice it might be better to play the remake first

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
My life has been taken over by the deck builder Chrono Ark. It’s still in early access, but the mechanics are so good and I’ve never felt so quickly sucked into a game like it.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Trickyblackjack posted:

After smashing a peaceful animal that was just chillin in the face with a body part of another animal, I'm pretty convinced the title of that series doesn't refer to "hunter of monsters" but "hunter that is a monster".

I hurt a benign animal so badly it tried to flee to its den for safety. My mission was still to hunt it down like the Terminator and exterminate it at any cost

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

jimmydalad posted:

My life has been taken over by the deck builder Chrono Ark. It’s still in early access, but the mechanics are so good and I’ve never felt so quickly sucked into a game like it.

Have you managed to beat the final boss yet? I've had this game for a while, and while I managed to beat it regularly before, the new boss they released late last year is... pretty rough.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Increasingly unclear on why classes that aren’t the necromancer exist in loop hero

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Increasingly unclear on why classes that aren’t the necromancer exist in loop hero

Broken Cog posted:

Because he's insanely slow

-This post made by the Rogue Gang

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Chrono Ark is real good and feels like it can be a real sleeper hit. The balance isn't quite there yet, but the way it does the party-based roguelike deckbuilder thing is really great and is probably my favorite of this type after StS. I especially like fixing a skill so that it's always in your hand, with a number of caveats attached, but it really does give a lot of consistency knowing that I'll have a party heal at the ready or this one defining skill for a character is always available.

Definitely give it a go if you're a fan of the genre.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i dont think i want to buy this game but the soundtrack is real good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueiCaPWf3yA

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
With Chrono Ark, I enjoy the opportunity cost it presents with choosing party members, whether to invest in getting more levels/cards for your party, more mana or more card draw/special abilities. I’ve managed to complete normal mode with every character that’s been released so far, but I needed to cheat for a certain unlock due to their ridiculous requirements.

The bosses also all have unique mechanics and approaches to gameplay that your party needs to be ready to deal with should the need arise. Though I hate the time boss with a passion, the witch has a fantastic theme and more of the bosses are hits versus misses.

I can’t recommend this game enough for deck builder/rogue like lovers.

EDIT:

Broken Cog posted:

Have you managed to beat the final boss yet? I've had this game for a while, and while I managed to beat it regularly before, the new boss they released late last year is... pretty rough.

I’ve beaten the boss with every character on Normal mode. Expert I’ve only reached once and I got absolutely destroyed when I got there. The final boss is hard as hell and I did need a few runs to really work out the stages and what they expect out of you. Most successful battles end with just 1 or 2 people clinging onto dear life as they get the last bit of damage.

Charon is OP though.

jimmydalad fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1373596209559011331

It's really not clear that the current state of the market is sustainable, and I at least would be happier if I'd bought fewer cheap and potentially crappy games.