Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

I loving hate driving and I already hate i spend an hour in my car every work day thru my half hour commute. Yeah I get to listen to music but wow I could also do that on my own time and do other things too and not have to pay to maneuver a big hunk of metal around other jackasses that could kill me. Its a beautiful drive thru state and national parks but no thanks.

In response to the next post, if they paid my commute and my hours were still at 40 or less id be down.

titty_baby_ fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

boar guy posted:

the commute won't be as bad as you think

Until employers start paying for the commute it will always be exactly as bad as they think at best. More often, worse.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

boar guy posted:

Batterypowered7 posted:

W R O N G
R
O
N
G

Batterypowered7 posted:

W R O N G
R
O
N
G

Batterypowered7 posted:

W R O N G
R
O
N
G

e. not doing it again either, not even for a 40% bump. It'd be tempting but my stupid commute, how much time I spent just driving, how stressed out it'd make me, all of that actually did a lot of damage to me personally and to my marriage. Never again unless I absolutely have to, and then unless I am really, really attached to my house, it's time to move.

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Mar 22, 2021

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

SkyeAuroline posted:

Until employers start paying for the commute it will always be exactly as bad as they think at best. More often, worse.

i mean, i took on a 90 minute commute in either direction to be able to work from home on fridays and for a 40% pay increase, a long time ago in a career far away. it was definitely worth it at the time and when it was no longer worth it i quit :shrug:

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

I used to drive around an hour and fifteen minutes each way, five days a week, before my wife and I moved closer to my workplace. It was absolutely miserable. Never again!

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

boar guy posted:

i mean, i took on a 90 minute commute in either direction to be able to work from home on fridays and for a 40% pay increase, a long time ago in a career far away. it was definitely worth it at the time and when it was no longer worth it i quit :shrug:
This would be a 5-10% increase lol

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Testikles posted:

I can't get into too much detail but my team has been fighting a long protracted war with a team in another division who has decided that:

1. Their division is exempt from our corporate mandate
2. Their job is to do what we do as a corporate function exclusively for our division

As an analogy, imagine if a department in your company setup a parallel HR Department because "they can't take the risk of you hiring unqualified people" but then they keep hiring highschoolers.

Sometimes, when people say that business is far more efficient than government or academia, I think about the companies I've seen with multiple units doing exactly the same thing, because "X really needs their own Y expertise" or simple politics or whatever.

On related matters, I was part of a government faculty where a reorganization (but not the details) were announced, followed by a months long "consultation" process. I admired the chutzpah of one department who just unilaterally renamed and shifted themselves within the organisation, down to changing signs on doors and email signatures, thinking that if they said it often and loud enough, it would become true.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

titty_baby_ posted:

This would be a 5-10% increase lol

you'd probably burn the increase on fuel alone

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
^^^ Yeah, I am saving crazy amounts of money right now not burning so much gas making that drive too.

Batterypowered7 posted:

I used to drive around an hour and fifteen minutes each way, five days a week, before my wife and I moved closer to my workplace. It was absolutely miserable. Never again!

Thanks to Seattle-area traffic, my commute each way was 50 minutes if I could go screaming fast, or 2+ hours if someone flipped a semi and blocked the 405 or the 5 or if there was just terrible traffic that day for no apparent reason at all.

Also the toll lanes on the 405 cost upwards of $10 one way, and maybe saved me 10-15 minutes in any kind of decent traffic situation.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Shoutout to my MegaCorp for planting the HQ in a wealthy NIMBY suburb with zero mass transit options and houses starting at a million. As much of the leadership bought houses there decades ago when they were cheap, don't understand why commuting would be an issue for everyone else.

If you do have the option vanpools are great for saving gas, we had a guy who liked driving so didn't have to take turns.

When our office reopens in an ideal scenario I'd go in one day a month or less. Hopefully get at least three days a week WFH. Realistically even one would be nice. I would gladly promise to work a free extra hour each day in exchange for never coming back. Having not set foot there in a year but still being able to complete all my work should be a hint I don't need to be there.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Hyrax Attack! posted:

but still being able to complete all my work should be a hint I don't need to be there.

you'd think, but, no. how can a firm maintain respectability if there's no office for the client to fly to for a pointless face to face meeting? and think of the poor team leads and middle managers!

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

boar guy posted:

An hour a day? I did that for every day for a decade. That is absolutely a terrible thing.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Hyrax Attack! posted:

When our office reopens in an ideal scenario I'd go in one day a month or less. Hopefully get at least three days a week WFH. Realistically even one would be nice. I would gladly promise to work a free extra hour each day in exchange for never coming back. Having not set foot there in a year but still being able to complete all my work should be a hint I don't need to be there.

Yeah thankfully my company's leadership has taken notice that everyone is WFH right now and has been for a year or so, and we're still cranking things out and making money. IT leadership has been very open about their plans to have a significant reduction in how many people are actually in office, and personally I could do the entirety of my job remotely until the day I retire but I do plan to eventually be in for some of my more important stakeholder meetings, because I just kinda like to be. But leadership so far has been pretty good with that, basically telling us "be in when you need to, otherwise don't worry about it" and I have a feeling that'll continue even after COVID is less of a concern

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

boar guy posted:

you'd think, but, no. how can a firm maintain respectability if there's no office for the client to fly to for a pointless face to face meeting? and think of the poor team leads and middle managers!
This is literally the reason my office exists in an industry where everyone is wfh or work from client site even before COVID. Need to have butts in seats to put on a pantomime during client visits that we are good worker drones in an office and not consultants jacking off at home in our underwear.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

It's because there aren't forty hours of work in a week, so they're gonna make us sit there and suffer for forty hours so they can justify paying people what they do.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

I actually checked again and the low end would be a 10% increase, the high 40%. I know they're desperate and the positions been open for months and the status of their govt funding for the program is dependant on it. Ive heard the previously guy was under a lot of pressure, constantly stressed out, and was shitcanned for possibly political reasons. I honestly am not the most passionate nor competent nor experienced person to justify the top end and I doubt they'd give it to me with my 1.5 years of experience and degree.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

titty_baby_ posted:

I actually checked again and the low end would be a 10% increase, the high 40%. I know they're desperate and the positions been open for months and the status of their govt funding for the program is dependant on it. Ive heard the previously guy was under a lot of pressure, constantly stressed out, and was shitcanned for possibly political reasons. I honestly am not the most passionate nor competent nor experienced person to justify the top end and I doubt they'd give it to me with my 1.5 years of experience and degree.

Quit selling yourself short. You got what they desperately need. Get that 40%.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
How long does it take your companies to process an internal job posting? We're at 3 weeks now, 2 of those in the hiring managers hands waiting for an interview decision.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

How long does it take your companies to process an internal job posting? We're at 3 weeks now, 2 of those in the hiring managers hands waiting for an interview decision.

Gotta allow for random VP to question the headcount, time for the best candidates to find better jobs after hearing nothing for a month, and to explain to your manager over and over what exactly the dept they oversee does.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Yeah, this career track ends up managing multi-billion dollar programs so there's a weird ad-hoc executive council where they workshop who should go where.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Batterypowered7 posted:

Quit selling yourself short. You got what they desperately need. Get that 40%.

cannot quote this hard enough. They're desperate, as you said, and don't judge your lack of experience too harshly. As someone who has hired a zillion engineers, what we said we wanted was usually shooting a bit high, and we hired people who didn't have experience we wanted if they otherwise were good candidates - demonstrated that they could learn, that they'd just Google things if they didn't know, and had foundational technical understanding and competence and weren't like super weird jackasses or something

the best people were those who recited wikipedia style memorized answers to basic programming concept questions, beaming with confidence, then absolutely melted when we'd give them a practical test of that knowledge lol

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

By the time we post something, the headcount stuff is already worked out. For us, getting that headcount decision is what takes so long since we are strapped for headcount and whenever one comes available, it's a war over if the department gets to keep it or if someone else needs it more. But by the time a posting goes up, I think it moves fairly smoothly for us, maybe a week or two?

When I switched from consulting to full time, it took a while because my new boss and my consulting firm boss were fighting over details and my new boss was really sticking it to him, it was funny but at the same time I was terrified he was going to cost me the opportunity lol

e. back at helljob when I was in charge of hiring, we moved really fast if we really liked the candidate. The internal engineering leads and myself would meet, decide if we liked the person, decide who they'd go to (if multiple openings were available) then I'd go to my director and tell him they were a yes. If the candidate's schedule permitted, we could interview this week and bring them on the following Monday. If we were looking at multiple candidates and had to make a larger decision, it might take us a few days to run the interviews, maybe an extra few days to talk amongst ourselves and make a decision (or invite back a second round of people who made the initial cut) but still, once a decision was made we'd try to bring them in the following week

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Mar 22, 2021

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

titty_baby_ posted:

The sooner you realize how many people at every job are severely unqualified for what they do, or were at the time of hiring but got the training to actually be good at it, you'll be better off.

Nothing wrong with trying, anyway.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Tittybabes, get that 40%. :yotj: it hard.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Combo posted:

The sooner you realize how many people at every job are severely unqualified for what they do, or were at the time of hiring but got the training to actually be good at it, you'll be better off.

Nothing wrong with trying, anyway.

This is one of those things it took me way too long to learn. It is 100% true though, and the reason I will never again be nervous at an interview.

We brought in an incredibly highly paid consultant to help with our finance system. She was tasked with essentially being a functional resource in finance who owned configuration and gatekept a lot of the big configuration changes the finance team wanted to do, so engineering would stop having to do that poo poo (my guys need to focus on code, not flipping switches in the UI; plus, none of us on the project team liked engineering being the people doing what the business-side should've been doing, separation of responsibilities and all that)

She... didn't really know the system, at all. I assume she worked on another cloud based finance system and the hiring team just thought this would translate, but holy cow did it not. Numerous meetings with her were followed up with smaller meetings with me and my guys asking what the hell she was talking about. 90% of the time when she was asked to do something, she would reach out to my team (behind my back after I told her to knock it off and go through me) and ask for "help", which meant "I want a screen share session with you where you show me what to do, and while I am going to record it, when this same issue happens again I want your help again".

She still survived for like a year and probably made a comfortable six figures off the endeavor, so good for her I guess.

And the flipside of that, I was hired to architect a solution in a system I'd never worked with before, but I learned it quick on the job and now I'm actually quite competent in it. My boss knew I didn't know it, but he hired me because I'd worked similar things and understood how similar systems worked / what best practices were, and was willing to invest the time in me to get me trained up. To be fair, the system is really niche so it would've been hard for him to expect to hire someone skilled in it, but still.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

quote:

Ive heard the previously guy was under a lot of pressure, constantly stressed out, and was shitcanned for possibly political reasons.

Don't sleep on this. 40% is a fuckin lot, but there's something to be said by wanting to putting yourself in a position to succeed out of the gate. And that position has nothing to do with whether you feel qualified or not, and more about the support around you. Everyone has imposter syndrome to some extent, and if we don't it's usually because we're bored with our jobs by now and ready for something new.

I would say go for it, but caution you to do your research too on the situation you're going into

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

HR drags their feet hardcore here, and new positions need to go thru some sort of approval process thru council. We've had people we've interviewed, offered the job to, theyve said they'll take it, and then they've backed out because HR still takes too long to get them sorted and started. My position was open for almost two months before I was hired, and I had to train myself for everything just based on my predecessors notes. My boss gave no guidance and my coworker only knew where I could find things.

In regards to the job theyre gonna email me and I suppose once an interviews lined up I'll see what they can offer. Im not sure where my cutoff point is but if they want me doing 5 8's with the hour commute unpaid its a definite no even at the full pay

titty_baby_ fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Mar 22, 2021

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Hey, so remember our hell software that I was working on scripting in keyboard control for because parts of it required a mouse for no apparent reason, and the whole nerve pain issue has been making heavy mouse use in the office difficult? (That project to automate steps of the process is on hold, by the way - ended up discussing it with my manager when we were talking through process improvements, laid out where I've gotten, what the barriers to finishing it are, and what I'd need to make it work which boiled down to "one to two billable hours of help from the IT guy who's been using this system for the last 3 decades and won't lift a finger unless he's ordered to" - result was "shelve it and we might come back to it". So, holding for now until there's a breakthrough or he's completely forgotten.)

New process for a new task, new training, new software that arbitrarily disables OS keyboard commands like copy/paste, for manual data entry and formatting. But leaves the right-click context menu functional only if you open it with the mouse and select options with the mouse, even the labeled keys to select context options are disabled.

God I want to get the gently caress out of this place, it may be the best paying by a long shot but this poo poo ain't worth it. Just have to figure out how to maintain or improve on "barely scraping by" when nobody paying better is hiring and cheaper housing isn't an option, so I'm not solely married to this...

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

SkyeAuroline posted:

Hey, so remember our hell software that I was working on scripting in keyboard control for because parts of it required a mouse for no apparent reason, and the whole nerve pain issue has been making heavy mouse use in the office difficult? (That project to automate steps of the process is on hold, by the way - ended up discussing it with my manager when we were talking through process improvements, laid out where I've gotten, what the barriers to finishing it are, and what I'd need to make it work which boiled down to "one to two billable hours of help from the IT guy who's been using this system for the last 3 decades and won't lift a finger unless he's ordered to" - result was "shelve it and we might come back to it". So, holding for now until there's a breakthrough or he's completely forgotten.)

New process for a new task, new training, new software that arbitrarily disables OS keyboard commands like copy/paste, for manual data entry and formatting. But leaves the right-click context menu functional only if you open it with the mouse and select options with the mouse, even the labeled keys to select context options are disabled.

God I want to get the gently caress out of this place, it may be the best paying by a long shot but this poo poo ain't worth it. Just have to figure out how to maintain or improve on "barely scraping by" when nobody paying better is hiring and cheaper housing isn't an option, so I'm not solely married to this...

Any chance you can set up something like AutoHotKey, if you know the positions will be the same each time? I don't know how many workflows you have to worry about but you should be able to at least self automate the most frequent ones.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

They're somewhat regular in terms of location (it loves popups and sub-windows with scroll bars) but with enough locations to be sufficiently unwieldy to try and manage by keyboard. Something like 32 every-single-time fields pulling from 32 different sources, and another dozen or so sprinkled in there. Plus scrollbar-only search. For now I just deal.
Holy poo poo though I will never understand why we still run such awful software that straight up destroys any chance at a reasonable workflow. With modern software one person could do the job of our entire existing team AND the extra hires we get denied the budget for... with time left over in the day.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You need to classify it as a medically hazardous interaction and demand danger money.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

boar guy posted:

Laffo

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-03-22/bosses-are-clueless-that-workers-are-miserable-and-looking-to-leave

quote:

A Microsoft Corp. survey of global workers found the majority feel they are struggling or just surviving in pandemic work conditions and a large percentage are considering leaving their employer this year. Meanwhile most business leaders polled said they are “thriving.”

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

We’ve lost 7 of our 10 most senior people in the past 3 months to external companies and competitors but yeah everyone has a great work life balance and is doing great

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Spent an hour today on a Slack call with newest department person trying to help them to do something that normally takes 5 minutes. It involved lots of password resets, excel sheet updates, emails back and forth, and rewrites of their spelling mistakes. This is "Favorite tech is my bank app" person.

It's literally [Log into site] -> [Enter serial] -> [Purchase subscription] -> [Make invoice in business system with a data entries] -> [Email invoice to boss]

And even that was a struggle

My supervisor was the one who asked me to help. Part of me wonders if my supervisor tasked me with helping because he didn't want to do it. I don't blame him at all, frankly. I was able to do this stuff solo after about a month or so. Newest person has been there a year and a half and still can't do one of the most basic tasks we need to do for customers.

My throat is sore from talking and saying "okay so, no, hold on wait don't click there, you need to click the yellow button, no not that button, the other one. Under that one." and poo poo like that for a full hour basically nonstop. I really wonder if there will ever come a day (or already has behind the scenes) when this person is basically told they need to start pulling their weight and be proactive in handling tasks from our department, no just doing "same ol', same ol'".

Just a few minutes ago I had to tell them how to make a new customer account. They've apparently had issues on the internal website we use to do it and were just completely shut down for like, weeks on end. My solution was "Log out and click the 'Create New Account on the main customer login page'" button and apparently that was impossible for them to figure out as a workaround in 4 weeks of work time.

It really is hard to not think Democracy doesn't work when people like this are allowed to vote and have an equal say in how things are run.

AHH F/UGH fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 23, 2021

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

AHH F/UGH posted:

Spent an hour today on a Slack call with newest department person trying to help them to do something that normally takes 5 minutes. It involved lots of password resets, excel sheet updates, emails back and forth, and rewrites of their spelling mistakes. This is "Favorite tech is my bank app" person.

It's literally [Log into site] -> [Enter serial] -> [Purchase subscription] -> [Make invoice in business system with a data entries] -> [Email invoice to boss]

My supervisor was the one who asked me to help. Part of me wonders if my supervisor tasked me with helping because he didn't want to do it. I don't blame him at all, frankly. I was able to do this stuff solo after about a month or so. Newest person has been there a year and a half and still can't do one of the most basic tasks we need to do for customers.

My throat is sore from talking and saying "okay so, no, hold on wait don't click there, you need to click the yellow button, no not that button, the other one. Under that one." and poo poo like that for a full hour basically nonstop. I really wonder if there will ever come a day (or already has behind the scenes) when this person is basically told they need to start pulling their weight and be proactive in handling tasks from our department, no just doing "same ol', same ol'".

Just a few minutes ago I had to tell them how to make a new customer account. They've apparently had issues on the internal website we use to do it and were just completely shut down for like, weeks on end. My solution was "Log out and click the "Create New Account on the main customer login page" and apparently that was impossible for them to figure out as a workaround in 4 weeks of work time.

It really is hard to not think Democracy doesn't work when people like this are allowed to vote and have an equal say in how things are run.

Theyve figure it out. They just act like they don't know what they're doing a gently caress around and get everyone else to pull the slack. They'll probably be promoted to middle management

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

AHH F/UGH posted:

Just a few minutes ago I had to tell them how to make a new customer account. They've apparently had issues on the internal website we use to do it and were just completely shut down for like, weeks on end. My solution was "Log out and click the 'Create New Account on the main customer login page'" button and apparently that was impossible for them to figure out as a workaround in 4 weeks of work time.

Seeing as how it sounds like this person is actively a drain on your department compared to having no one in their spot, maybe tell your boss that it's been 18 months, it's time to leave the nest and either fly or splatter

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

I was hired as an external hire 20 years ago and from application to first day it was nearly 10 months, but that 20 years ago.

External positions typically take 3-8 months, while internal promotions where there are no outside competitors the fastest I've seen done is I think 4 to 6 weeks, maybe once?

This has been really problematic where I work for a really long time. A good deal of the time most or all of the people that pass the application, interview, practical exam, oral boards, and then background have taken a different job by the time they come up in the list. Some of them need to be reminded who it is that are calling them.

And all of that is if there is a defined position open and funded. A person is about to quit and the position is not actually vacant yet? Add weeks. Our most recent Cisco network architect position took... 6 months I think, and we were trying to hurry.

We lost a whole lot of a list because the position is stated as a salary range when publicized but it's never stated that the starting salary is non negotiable. You start at the bottom with consistent raises until an employee caps out. So a job listing that says 52k-108k really means 52k full stop from someone coming in from outside. Amusingly if you already work for my employer even in a totally unrelated job but change fields you keep you old pay and move into the new pay scale at the same step or round up to the next highest step if they don't match. That served me well in my last lateral career move as I was 4th on the list after the whole process but ended up first as all 3 external applicants above me bailed at the salary notification.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

BitBasher posted:

I was hired as an external hire 20 years ago and from application to first day it was nearly 10 months, but that 20 years ago.

External positions typically take 3-8 months, while internal promotions where there are no outside competitors the fastest I've seen done is I think 4 to 6 weeks, maybe once?

This has been really problematic where I work for a really long time. A good deal of the time most or all of the people that pass the application, interview, practical exam, oral boards, and then background have taken a different job by the time they come up in the list. Some of them need to be reminded who it is that are calling them.

And all of that is if there is a defined position open and funded. A person is about to quit and the position is not actually vacant yet? Add weeks. Our most recent Cisco network architect position took... 6 months I think, and we were trying to hurry.

We lost a whole lot of a list because the position is stated as a salary range when publicized but it's never stated that the starting salary is non negotiable. You start at the bottom with consistent raises until an employee caps out. So a job listing that says 52k-108k really means 52k full stop from someone coming in from outside. Amusingly if you already work for my employer even in a totally unrelated job but change fields you keep you old pay and move into the new pay scale at the same step or round up to the next highest step if they don't match. That served me well in my last lateral career move as I was 4th on the list after the whole process but ended up first as all 3 external applicants above me bailed at the salary notification.

What the gently caress lmao. I am surprised your company can hire anybody, and my god you must get the bottom of the barrel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Splode posted:

What the gently caress lmao. I am surprised your company can hire anybody, and my god you must get the bottom of the barrel

It's state/local government not a company, so that should explain some of it. It's also a pretty solid place to work for, and has a built in retirement where you flat get paid annually 75% of your top 3 years average pay from the day you put in your 30 years and quit, without directly putting in a cent. I'm going to retire with 30 years at 56 years old in December of 2030, so I can gently caress off and do what I want from there.

But yeah, in certain jobs it's really problematic for filling spots, specifically technical positions.

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Mar 23, 2021