Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Didn't the other opposition reps in the Venezuelan legislature tell him to gently caress off a couple years ago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
they didn’t do that at least openly, they didn’t vote him any position so he’s a president without a party for lack of a better term

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

zegermans posted:

it rules that the venezuelan dude who just said he was president 4 years ago has a blue check next to his "official president of venezuela" twitter account
it rules that the interim president is in violation of the constitution he supposedly upholds, having failed to hold presidential elections after being proclaimed interim president, but his supporters don't want to you to think about that

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

frankenfreak posted:

it rules that the interim president is in violation of the constitution he supposedly upholds, having failed to hold presidential elections after being proclaimed interim president, but his supporters don't want to you to think about that

also he no longer holds the position that theoretically empowered him to become interim president, because there were new elections held to the National Assembly in 2020 that his party boycotted. Instead they met online to declare that actually they would remain the legitimately-elected democratic representatives of the Venezuelan people in perpetuity with no elections required, until... wait for it... an election could be held.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

frankenfreak posted:

drat next thing you'll tell me is the Honduran coup people didn't care about term limits?

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/TuckerCarlson/status/1371963205644345347?s=20

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Is there something wrong with El Salvador's president?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

If US popular media is going out of their way to softball them and make them look great and democratic, it usually means theyre an insane murderous dictator and an election is coming up

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

yeah he's bad

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

punk rebel ecks posted:

I bet you can use context clues to figure out the answer to that question!

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

if loving tucker carlson thought it was a good idea to sully the soles of his shoes with god forbid Central American soil - what some of his like call "sub-mexico" in their mind - to speak with the man in person, I would say that this president might be one hell of a turbomoronic rear end in a top hat

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I bet you can use context clues to figure out the answer to that question!

but he seems to own a really cool golden sword OP

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

but he seems to own a really cool golden sword OP

Golden swords are gaudy and useless, the sign of a pompous showoff. There's your context clue.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
hmmm no, novelty swords are really cool

e: the president of el salvador may have other flaws

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

hmmm no, novelty swords are really cool

e: the president of el salvador may have other flaws

Actual swords are cooler

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
actual swords are kinda lame fantasy swords are cool unfortunately we have to give it to the el salvador president

But like, is he a Duterte/Bolsonaro-esque figure or more of a poo poo neolib? I'm expecting the former considering how much LATAM politics are hosed.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
I think Bolsonaro is a pretty firm neoliberal

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Fleetwood posted:

sure, whatever, I wanna know if it's the military nationalistic type or the polite suit dude type

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Fleetwood posted:

If he was he wouldn't have handed Petrobras over to a military man. He has not quite done what his neoliberal sponsors expected him to do.

He aspires to be a strong man, not a technocrat.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
ah, thanks

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

-FUCK...YOU KNOW, THE THING

Dias posted:

actual swords are kinda lame fantasy swords are cool unfortunately we have to give it to the el salvador president

But like, is he a Duterte/Bolsonaro-esque figure or more of a poo poo neolib? I'm expecting the former considering how much LATAM politics are hosed.

Bukele is a hard-conservative-arguably-light-fascist in liberal as gently caress clothing. Uses democratic pluralism on the international stage but domestically does mostly conservative stuff, an most importantly helms a viable 'centrist' party to siphon off enough support to defang the left, which he then cracked down on. As a former "member" of the left he seems a hell of a lot like an op but I can't remember if he's one of the ones where his CIA ties have actualy been reported or not.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

well when you burn an asset already you might as well go all out

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Fuzzy McDoom posted:

Bukele is a hard-conservative-arguably-light-fascist in liberal as gently caress clothing. Uses democratic pluralism on the international stage but domestically does mostly conservative stuff, an most importantly helms a viable 'centrist' party to siphon off enough support to defang the left, which he then cracked down on. As a former "member" of the left he seems a hell of a lot like an op but I can't remember if he's one of the ones where his CIA ties have actualy been reported or not.

Ah, so it was more the latter. Your description makes me think of NOVO's candidates in Brazil: well-dressed, reasonable, will support fascist policies and attack the left whenever possible, really into capitalism.

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...t.co/LQXZXVtkHF

Oh noes someone do something about it! Maybe it's time for another coup!

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
I love that that editorial just as a side note includes the fact that she used deadly force on protestors, but then defends her by saying she stopped (after human rights groups were going after her)

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Also, those same groups are now upset that the unjustly imprisoned protesters are being freed lmao

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean that article argues historical reality by siting the the report that not even the organization that submitted stands by now

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Dias posted:

Ah, so it was more the latter. Your description makes me think of NOVO's candidates in Brazil: well-dressed, reasonable, will support fascist policies and attack the left whenever possible, really into capitalism.

The current UK Labour party as well

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
https://twitter.com/jmcevoy_2/status/1371394494562766848

:thanks:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
"Opening Bolivia to health diplomacy" is also an interesting one down there at the bottom, just casually dropping "yeah we re-established health ties with the coup regime--oh excuse me, after national elections and that will let us spread influence where we couldn't before"

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol

https://twitter.com/JeanineAnez/status/981735242389184514?s=20

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014

Fuzzy McDoom posted:

Macron basically.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Spice World War II posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...t.co/LQXZXVtkHF

Oh noes someone do something about it! Maybe it's time for another coup!
this editorial board guy seems to have some consistently awful opinions

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

people that tryhard their sock-aesthetic are all psychos

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

pulled up some of the ones i remember from camila

https://twitter.com/PrensaCamila/status/1106419235645988864
https://twitter.com/PrensaCamila/status/1333483562788663296
https://twitter.com/PrensaCamila/status/1356068890044981251
https://twitter.com/PrensaCamila/status/1356071810635358215

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

The US State Department loves losers
https://twitter.com/PrensaCamila/status/1373431821791285253?s=20

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The Imperialism Award for Toadying to Western Powers

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/BillKristol/status/1374060110713126912

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Amazing faceplant with that last line. Kristol never changes.