Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

DJExile posted:

The flyers play 50 minutes of a good game and blow it late thanks to lovely special teams and more turnovers? I am absolutely shocked and also stunned and even gobsmacked.

lol, what, is Alain Vigneault coaching them or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

fawning deference posted:

Matt Duchene for $8m into the neverending future being better than extending Zibanejad for less is a laugher.

Which was why I had the caveat of Nashville retaining or the Rangers try to get an add as well (while dumping Tony D on them). U agree Malkin/Bergy don't hit UFA. The Barkov play could be a neat one. Ideally the Rangers use Strome+ other stuff to land an actual 1C and then keep Zib as close to 6 as possible.

Different question... if given the option do you take 5x9, 6x8, 7x7, or go full 8 by like 5.5-6. I guess I'm interested in if RAS would rather higher overpayment for shorter term or term with a much more palatable yearly cap hit?

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

DJExile posted:

The flyers play 50 minutes of a good game and blow it late thanks to lovely special teams and more turnovers? I am absolutely shocked and also stunned and even gobsmacked.

And they don't even have the very good 5v5 numbers Montreal had before poo poo canning their coach :(

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Darryl Sutter will fix things any day now, just need a few more bag skates.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Did Calgary just lose to Ottawa's fourth string goalie?

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Yes

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

mennoknight posted:

Fire sutter

:popeye:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fine I'll just make the clip myself, you're worthless to me twitter.

https://i.imgur.com/pT34POa.mp4

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The Sabres have lost 14 in a row and they lost Hutton to an injury so they are really screwed on goaltending, like more than usual. That Johansson trade is looking bad right now... then again idk is Tokarski is better or worse than Johansson.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Ideally the Rangers use Strome+ other stuff to land an actual 1C and then keep Zib as close to 6 as possible.

The problem with that is teams that need a 2C aren't trading 1Cs for them.

The ideal return for Strome would be 1st at this deadline with 50% retained, so they get a playoff run and a full season at 2.25m per. The expansion draft makes that difficult, though, as few teams would be able to fit him into their seven protected forwards.

I wonder if Colorado makes sense, because of the expansion draft. Landeskog is a UFA, and they will likely sign him after the expansion draft, to save a spot. Tyson Jost took a step back this year, has been pushed down their depth chart, and might be better served by a change of scenery. If the Avs were to swap Jost and a 2nd for Strome, they could protect Strome and would only have to expose Nichushkin (as well as some solid defensemen.) Rangers could protect Jost and also give him a chance to play top 6.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

By the way, first game coached by Granato where they had actually been able to practice beforehand. Tay Tay played 20 mins, Skinny played 17, Reinhart played 20+, then it was kind of a mixed bag for the other forwards. Skinner looked good and had a goal and six shots.

https://twitter.com/buffalosabres/status/1374166538987667462?s=21

He looks so happy after he scores a goal!!!

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Zibanejad is an extremely good player and good enough to be a 1C on a cup team if that team is, ya know, actually good. He's not a super star level guy but he's that "weird" level of player that occasionally plays at a legit franchise super star level but isn't consistent enough at it to be that player all the time. That's ok, that means he's not a top 5 player in the league, there's not that many of those! But looking at his shooting percentage and writing him off is insane if you actually watch him play more than a handful of games. Panarin is the better player (possibly the best player in the league behind McDavid when it comes to creating offense) but Zibanejad playing like he can play is arguably the more important player for everything else he does for the team.

I honestly have no doubt he'll continue to produce at an elite pace for a bunch more years before dropping to a more "good" pace but it is definitely a big question of what you want to pay for that and whether you trust him to stay healthy one way or another

Speaking of extremely good players Adam Fox is an extremely good player and should get Norris votes but won't

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

When's the last time an expensive center signing worked out for the rangers?

Brad Richards maybe? If you include the free buyout

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

grack posted:

Did Calgary just lose to Ottawa's fourth string goalie?

And they were piss babbies about it:

https://twitter.com/BradyTrett/status/1374174121643241473

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Fox is great, he's got a long career ahead of him and will eventually get Norris consideration. He's great night in and night out, and is a huge part of why the Rangers are not a basement team.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

When's the last time an expensive center signing worked out for the rangers?

Brad Richards maybe? If you include the free buyout

Zibanejad's last contract.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

beyond petty lmao

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
*spinning* Good sportsmanship is never accepting a loss *spinning*

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

The flyers man

the fact that the isles won 2 of 3 against them with Leo komarov: 1st line winger better not trick trotz in to running him out there any longer than he has already because I'm convinced he's the worst first liner I've ever seen

I'm sure people could find people who have been close to as bad in spot duty, but my God was komarov bad and he absolutely torpedoed any chances Barzal had all series

Tonight the first line would get on the ice, gain the zone with consistent possession, and Barzal would make a pass from the boards to a wide open komarov in the slot for a great chance. Except komarov had already turned around and started his glide back to bench, oblivious to all of his surroundings, and he quite literally kicked the pass out of the zone for an odd man rush against

This exact sequence happened multiple times

In short, the Philadelphia flyers are dogshit garbage

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
Lol holy poo poo I'm sure he's a nice dude and everything but I'm so glad Duchene isn't on my team anymore.

Quick recap:

Duchene for Girard/Byrum/+
Zadorov for Saad
Two 2nds for Toews
A 2nd and a buyout trade for Grubauer
Kerfoot/Barrie for Kadri

Noice.

Porrima
Oct 18, 2012

The world is fucked
and so are you.

Thanks, humanity

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The Sabres have lost 14 in a row and they lost Hutton to an injury so they are really screwed on goaltending, like more than usual. That Johansson trade is looking bad right now... then again idk is Tokarski is better or worse than Johansson.

This seems to tie their franchise record, which goes to show that on every possible season there are accomplishments worth striving for

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Porrima posted:

This seems to tie their franchise record, which goes to show that on every possible season there are accomplishments worth striving for

I will only be referring to this season as “record-breaking” once they lose their 15th game in a row.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
I hate my curvy hockey team

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://twitter.com/SOIThePodcast/status/1373761273477881861

Here’s something good.

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

Iodised QQ posted:

Tonight the first line would get on the ice, gain the zone with consistent possession, and Barzal would make a pass from the boards to a wide open komarov in the slot for a great chance. Except komarov had already turned around and started his glide back to bench, oblivious to all of his surroundings, and he quite literally kicked the pass out of the zone for an odd man rush against

Oh Leo :allears:

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

They combined for six points and Thomas had a natural hattrick over the final 3:30 to tie the game at 4, then scored the shootout winner.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

triple sulk posted:

I hate this team so much

I am so thankful I am now busy with work stuff and am starting to skip games. The 9-1 loss didn’t convince me the season was over, but the team’s response since then did.

On a real note, going into this season, their was debate of “how Covid season will impact different teams” and it’ll be different, etc etc. Flyers got hit with Covid , now they’re playing this huge stretch of back to back games, and they don’t have the stamina / talent / experience (in whatever combo) to do it. Plus having a few holes

I donno , like, they get one practice in 2 weeks or something crazy right ? Like, I know they’re professionals, I know other teams are making it work , but I honestly think it’s potentially asking too much from players this year. It’s not like we have these stretches other seasons.

That said

The Philadelphia Flyers are Dogshit garbage , and this season of NHL hockey hasn’t been real hockey from the start because of the circumstances.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

This is very cool.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Zodijackylite posted:

Zibanejad's last contract.

He kept them from getting better draft picks.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Fox will definitely be in the Norris conversation very soon, but it's going to be tough for him to unseat Makar and McAvoy.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I'm starting to think that maybe Jim Benning hasn't built the Canucks into being a team on the cusp of a Stanley Cup window.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/1374356975232909313
Great, good job, they fixed it etc.,

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

McDavid ending up in Edmonton broke the NHL BoG's brains forever

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
They should honestly just implement the actually desired ruleset, which is to keep the original system but implement a "no Edmonton" clause.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

mennoknight posted:

I hate my curvy hockey team

We bad... really bad.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Hand Knit posted:

They should honestly just implement the actually desired ruleset, which is to keep the original system but implement a "no Edmonton" clause.

Get placed in a division with the Oilers just once and this sort of disrespect happens.

How Dare You

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Doesn't this make it easier to tank and get the #1

Misanthrope posted:

We bad... really bad.

I think it's time to fire Brad and blow it up.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Zodijackylite posted:

The problem with that is teams that need a 2C aren't trading 1Cs for them.

The ideal return for Strome would be 1st at this deadline with 50% retained, so they get a playoff run and a full season at 2.25m per. The expansion draft makes that difficult, though, as few teams would be able to fit him into their seven protected forwards.

I wonder if Colorado makes sense, because of the expansion draft. Landeskog is a UFA, and they will likely sign him after the expansion draft, to save a spot. Tyson Jost took a step back this year, has been pushed down their depth chart, and might be better served by a change of scenery. If the Avs were to swap Jost and a 2nd for Strome, they could protect Strome and would only have to expose Nichushkin (as well as some solid defensemen.) Rangers could protect Jost and also give him a chance to play top 6.

I don't know...how much credit do you give the Buffalo front office? Eichel is right there. I find it extremely hard seeing Buffalo getting equal let alone greater value from him. For this upcoming offseason the Rangers are actually in a pretty good spot cap wise as well. 9 million in buyout money becomes available and presumably the bonus cushion penalty disappears. So that's another chunk of change that also becomes available. I honestly don't think Jost is a 2C either. So if you think the Rangers can pull a Jack Roslovic with him (and whether you buy Jack is a 2C as well) I guess that's an option. One Ryan Nugent-Hopkins becomes available this offseason. That would be an upgrade no? There is also the sneaky good Phillip Danault in UFA this offseason if you wanted to try and roll basically 3 - 2Cs down the middle which could be very effective. In 2022-2023 UFA you have targets such as Barkov and Courturier coming available. Who even knows what Philly could do moving forward. So that might be an opportunity as well.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Get placed in a division with the Oilers just once and this sort of disrespect happens.

How Dare You

I'm just being honest about their motivations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

ThinkTank posted:

My proposed solution to the draft issue is to simply force the Edmonton Oilers to fold and make all their players free agents. This would make many people very happy except for Edmontonians who don't count.