Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Worf should take off his baldrick and drop it on the ground, leaving a crater, revealing it weighs like 2000 pounds because for the last ten years he has been training in high gravity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Tighclops posted:

I would love to take a poll of people who say stuff like this about the show and find out how few of them have ever actually used drugs recreationally (exploring mommy's medicine cabinet when you were a preteen doesn't count)

E: to clarify, this show is about as much a trippy acid-fueled adventure as a 13-year-old who brings a bag of crushed oregano to his school is a drug dealer

Weirdly hostile, but I’m just using that as a shorthand for me enjoying Discovery’s forays into colorful visuals, which sometimes seem like an attempt to bring TOS’s aesthetic to the 2020s. Also the sometimes creative use of the engine powered by literal mushrooms.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they never did anything particularly creative with the mushroom aspect and also the mushroom aspect was plagiarized.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
lol, 'Discovery' and 'creative' in the same sentence; there isn't anything in Disco that hasn't been done far better in other Treks.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

HD DAD posted:

Weirdly hostile, but I’m just using that as a shorthand for me enjoying Discovery’s forays into colorful visuals, which sometimes seem like an attempt to bring TOS’s aesthetic to the 2020s. Also the sometimes creative use of the engine powered by literal mushrooms.

That person has taken drugs and needs people to know that. It’s like crack to them! (this is bait)

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

tango alpha delta posted:

lol, 'Discovery' and 'creative' in the same sentence; there isn't anything in Disco that hasn't been done far better in other Treks.

Has anyone done a better job of making an unlikable main character than Discovery???

Checkmate

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Next time on Staaar Trek: Discovery! Join Michael Burnham and Side Character #24 as they snort pixie sticks in the boys' bathroom and say "vulva" as they snicker and stifle laughter. Nickleback guest stars

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
*Opens script.doc*
*Copy paste passage from one of the worlds most popular children's book*
*takes a slow draw from a cigarette*

"I'm so loving high right now, I shouldn't have taken all those shrooms."

*CC Rick Berman*

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Nitrousoxide posted:

Has anyone done a better job of making an unlikable main character than Discovery???

Checkmate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQEwuapZ5RA

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

42 years before first contact

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Nitrousoxide posted:

Checkmate

Picard's Picard.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Blistex posted:

Picard's Picard.
Still better than Burnham even if it's a pale imitation of TNG Picard

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
picard himself isn't good in any way but he's not what makes the show so irredeemably terrible.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
sheer loving hubris

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

picard himself isn't good in any way but he's not what makes the show so irredeemably terrible.
Right, to me he's the least of the show's issues

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Picard is basically the a story of a grumpy old man who goes for an extended walk to see some old friends.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
If only, that would have been a far better story.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
In honour of Shatner's 90th birthday.

https://youtu.be/oEZVwQptvWw

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Alchenar posted:

Picard is basically the a story of a grumpy old man who goes for an extended walk to see some old friends.

no, see, this is what i wanted

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Jean Luc Picard entertains his old shipmates at his vineyard and reminisces about his life's greatest accomplishments, like the time he negotiated a peace treaty between the blue forehead wart people and the green nose wrinkle people

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

sort of started that way, which is why I had hope. Become bad then, tho. Sad.

Also, I have paused my Discovery Enterprise dual watch bc. of mental health issues. As it stands, Ent >> Disco but on opposed trajectories. Ent gets better again though.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
TBH, I wanted to see Jean Luc, no longer in command, but enjoying his golden years while acclimating to a life outside of Starfleet, with a little adventure along the way.

Sure, you'd have fewer people in motorcycle helmets being kicked off of buildings, but I think it'd have it's own charm.

I get why they didn't do it, there probably isn't a dump truck big enough for all the cash Patrick Stewart would want to do The Last of the Summer Wine but in Space, and no one under 40 would even remotely give a poo poo.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Mar 23, 2021

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
I do enjoy how enterprise shoves in literally any excuse to show off the hard bodies of every cast member. Oh no ensign may weather got food poisoning on Risa.......in his sleeveless version of his work jumpsuit......no

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

thrilla in vanilla posted:

I do enjoy how enterprise shoves in literally any excuse to show off the hard bodies of every cast member. Oh no ensign may weather got food poisoning on Risa.......in his sleeveless version of his work jumpsuit......no

I've mentioned this myself but it gets pretty loving shameless about getting Jolene Blalock and Linda Park as close to naked as they can get away with on primetime television at any opportunity.

Well they've stripped off their spacesuits while they're on this Klingon ship because the air's breathable, let's have them ditch the undersuit as well and walk around in skintight bodysuits for some gratuitously-close shots of T'Pol and Hoshi together.... :wiggle:.

And of course Shibari Knots of P'jem.

Mrs. Dash
Apr 11, 2009
At least enterprise didn't have gratuitous close ups of neelix feet

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

basically i want all of picard's retirement to be like Captain's Holiday. just solvin mysteries and helping femme fatales and drinking some wine. or, like, endeavor in space. or endeavor not in space, that's good too

gently caress i'd be fine with All Creatures Great and Small (In Space)

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Haramstufe Rot posted:

Also, I have paused my Discovery Enterprise dual watch bc. of mental health issues.

cause, or effect?

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Nitrousoxide posted:

Checkmate

It's disappointing because when the series isn't taking itself too seriously it's really enjoyable. Too bad that only happens when the supporting characters are in screen.

What I'm basically saying is make Jett Reno the main character.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Mrs. Dash posted:

At least enterprise didn't have gratuitous close ups of neelix feet

might have gotten 7 seasons if the did, no one wants to watch hot vulcan babes give me a cat person hobo

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
filthy cat person hobo or the hip new han solo for the 90's?

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
han hobo

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I've mentioned this myself but it gets pretty loving shameless about getting Jolene Blalock and Linda Park as close to naked as they can get away with on primetime television at any opportunity.

Well they've stripped off their spacesuits while they're on this Klingon ship because the air's breathable, let's have them ditch the undersuit as well and walk around in skintight bodysuits for some gratuitously-close shots of T'Pol and Hoshi together.... :wiggle:.

And of course Shibari Knots of P'jem.

Hoshi alone with the incel telepath and she runs around in her nightgown 90% of the episode

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pondex posted:

Hoshi alone with the incel telepath and she runs around in her nightgown 90% of the episode

Which episode was that? :confused:

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Pondex posted:

That is one of the most cringeworthy episode of star trek ever made.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Which episode was that? :confused:

s3 Exile

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Just got to ENT: Proving Ground.

Shran is 100% the best character of the show. Short man-syndrome plus he's real tsundere for Archer.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Achmed Jones posted:

basically i want all of picard's retirement to be like Captain's Holiday. just solvin mysteries and helping femme fatales and drinking some wine. or, like, endeavor in space. or endeavor not in space, that's good too

gently caress i'd be fine with All Creatures Great and Small (In Space)

That’s legit what I assumed the show would be. Just weekly adventures and maybe a few callbacks here and there.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Pondex posted:

Shran is 100% the best character of the show. Short man-syndrome plus he's real tsundere for Archer.

Shran is dope and is the main reason the only disapointment I had in Lower Decks was no Andorian main character.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Pondex posted:

Shran is the best part of Enterprise. Give me a star trek series where every character is played by Jeffrey Combs in different makeup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fishstick posted:

Shran is the best part of Enterprise. Give me a star trek series where every character is played by Jeffrey Combs in different makeup

It's all in the delivery of "Pinkskin"