Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
anime
.hack//Sign
.hack//Legend of the Twilight
.hack//Roots
View Results

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

golden bubble posted:

That said, Feng Shui based fight scenes are cool to read about, because it gives even more incentive to focus on the environment in a fight. I love seeing stray objects and the surrounding environment shake up a fight scene, and it helps deter the use of stock footage and stock phrases for fights.

Counter argument. Dragon's Dream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
that dude has lived through an action film and it blows my mind every time I hear about him

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it was clear from the aftermath that even suggesting these old men were not literally magic was a big deal, much less demonstrating to the contrary. i guess maybe some of them didn't even consider that anyone would break kayfabe even after he already had, repeatedly.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Chinese martial arts is doing a lot of heavy lifting in Chinese pride and poo poo so it's no surprise the people who went after him fully believe their own BS.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

golden bubble posted:

It's nice to see a Isekai where advanced future knowledge is actually advanced. In Isekai Yakkyoku, the protag's cheat skill allows him to create substances by visualizing their molecular formula.

Why is there a naked lady when he thinks about molecules

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

"I need to represent tuberculosis. Do I draw the respiratory system or tits?"

I'm sure the artist had to struggle with such a decision.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

thetoughestbean posted:

It takes some pretty intense mnemonics to get through those organic chemistry courses.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I think he's supposed to be synthesizing the molecules directly within her body.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it was clear from the aftermath that even suggesting these old men were not literally magic was a big deal, much less demonstrating to the contrary. i guess maybe some of them didn't even consider that anyone would break kayfabe even after he already had, repeatedly.

for anyone interested, anime youtuber SuperEyepatchWolf did a video on this sort of fake/hoax martial artist that I remember being pretty good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjbSCEhmjJA

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
he names the medication and sees a magic light indicating whether or not it will successfully treat the patient.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

thetoughestbean posted:

Guyver posted:

"I need to represent tuberculosis. Do I draw the respiratory system or tits?"

I'm sure the artist had to struggle with such a decision.

I checked the series out.
The protagonist can diagnose people by looking at them with his magic eye, so in this case there was a big glob of tuberculosis in that lady's lungs. And it changes color when he sets an accurate diagnosis, if it'll work, etc.
So I think he was gaming the system by staring at the titty while going 'will antibiotic X, and Y function well? Am I visualizing them correctly?' and have the colour change confirm that he's visualizing the correct formula. Either that or the artist just wanted to copypaste some titty for a bit.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

SubNat posted:

I checked the series out.
The protagonist can diagnose people by looking at them with his magic eye, so in this case there was a big glob of tuberculosis in that lady's lungs. And it changes color when he sets an accurate diagnosis, if it'll work, etc.
So I think he was gaming the system by staring at the titty while going 'will antibiotic X, and Y function well? Am I visualizing them correctly?' and have the colour change confirm that he's visualizing the correct formula. Either that or the artist just wanted to copypaste some titty for a bit.

Do I really have to post this?

https://youtu.be/ke1YKF3tNCE

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I dunno, did you?

Out of context the page seems very odd, so I provided some context to illustrate that the series isn't about magical mammaries manufacturing medicine, for anyone else who might be put off by yet another series that might be too horny for it's own good.
(It thankfully isn't, and the series is quite nice, though clearly it was evaluating how horny to make itself during the earliest chapters.)

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Faraway Paladin is getting an Anime this October

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2021-04-17/the-faraway-paladin-light-novels-get-tv-anime-in-october/.171838

Had started reading the Manga some weeks ago and it's by far some of the best fantasy stuff I've read. Will had just left home to go on how own.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

doomrider7 posted:

Faraway Paladin is getting an Anime this October

Feels like a weird choice to put money into.

Paladin is infamous for having an incredibly good first volume, and then nosediving into mediocrity immediately. That in itself wouldn't really stop an anime, but the author hit some kind of writing block and hasn't posted a new chapter of the web novel in nearly four years. Admittedly he did recently tweet that he'd finally started writing again, but who knows how long that will last.

With only 5 (potentially 6?) volumes out of the light novel, it's just hard to see it being all that profitable.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

darkgray posted:

Feels like a weird choice to put money into.

Paladin is infamous for having an incredibly good first volume, and then nosediving into mediocrity immediately. That in itself wouldn't really stop an anime, but the author hit some kind of writing block and hasn't posted a new chapter of the web novel in nearly four years. Admittedly he did recently tweet that he'd finally started writing again, but who knows how long that will last.

With only 5 (potentially 6?) volumes out of the light novel, it's just hard to see it being all that profitable.

I've heard of the hiatus. Not read the LN, but everything I've read of the manga so far has been amazingly awesome.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Maybe they just do a first season and tie it off there

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
whaaaaat!? I'm super excited!

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Yui Horie as Mary

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

doomrider7 posted:

I've heard of the hiatus. Not read the LN, but everything I've read of the manga so far has been amazingly awesome.

The first arc climax is incredible and the rest following it is fine but pales in comparison to just how good all the Undead Family stuff was.

That said the first arc getting animated is more than enough. One of if not the best Isekai arcs ever.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I dipped my toes into Konosuba. This show is dumb as hell and childish. I enjoyed it.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Forgot to add, but Realist Hero and the Skeleton Knight are also getting isekai.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

doomrider7 posted:

Forgot to add, but Realist Hero and the Skeleton Knight are also getting isekai.

I could have done without them animating the opening scene with the bandits, but I am still excited to see a Skeleton Knight anime (I need to catch up on the novels though).

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Nemo2342 posted:

I could have done without them animating the opening scene with the bandits, but I am still excited to see a Skeleton Knight anime (I need to catch up on the novels though).

Yeah that was SUPER uncomfortable to see in the Manga so I can't even imagine animated.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
Lots of black shadows that'll mysteriously disappear in the bluray release i bet.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

doomrider7 posted:

Yeah that was SUPER uncomfortable to see in the Manga so I can't even imagine animated.

There was enough of it in the trailer to make me grit my teeth; I'm just glad that the LN mostly drops using sexual assault as a way to show how evil people are after the first LN.

Pyronic posted:

Lots of black shadows that'll mysteriously disappear in the bluray release i bet.

I doubt that; it's really not that kind of series. Which is why I wish they had trimmed down the opening bandit attack.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Karate Baka continues to update after a wizard got decked in his face. The story proves that you can take a worn trope and still make it exciting because our MC is starting his career as an adventurer but he's about to do a 100-man Kumite against a castle full of goblins. That just sounds like a good time.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
https://reader.kireicake.com/read/yakuza_reincarnation/en/0/21/page/1
Yakuza Reincarnation's got another chapter and this arc's coming to its big climax.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Nemo2342 posted:

I doubt that; it's really not that kind of series. Which is why I wish they had trimmed down the opening bandit attack.

I MUST be thinking of a different skeleton knight manga, as the one I thought was being discussed just had fairly gore-y bandit dismemberment and I don't remember any sexual assault at all.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Pyronic posted:

I MUST be thinking of a different skeleton knight manga, as the one I thought was being discussed just had fairly gore-y bandit dismemberment and I don't remember any sexual assault at all.

The very first chapter. Also, there are scenes later on of captured, sexually abused women. The protagonist slaughters everybody involved, but those types of scenes and that type of imagery do appear in the story.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Nalin posted:

The very first chapter. Also, there are scenes later on of captured, sexually abused women. The protagonist slaughters everybody involved, but those types of scenes and that type of imagery do appear in the story.

Right, the novel/manga (and the anime preview) opens with bandits assaulting two women, before Arc massacres them. It's a really cheap way to establish that Arc is a good guy, and would have worked just as well if he'd come in at the end of the attack instead of waiting for the bandits to be moments away from raping the first woman before he intervened.

As mentioned there is a later scene in that novel, and another in the second novel, featuring captured, sexually abused women but thankfully after that the novels (at least up through where I read) had dropped using that as a way to flag people as being evil.

To its credit though, at no point do the novels condone such scenes or uses them as a sly form of titillation, and is very enthusiastic about having Arc kill off any perpetrators he runs across.

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012
The biggest missed opportunity in Skeleton Knight was that he basically forgot about all his skills. During all the novels he uses like less than 10 skills in total, while he actually had all the skills from all his previous classes, like in the 100's. Would have been funny for messing with the normal people.

nrook posted:

Something I really like about Bookworm is that you can take it seriously as a book. It has a very strong through line that a person's culture and how they were raised to a large extent defines who they are, and the characters the narrative admires most are the ones who struggle to overcome the weight of their stations and upbringings and pursue their dreams in life. Sometimes I think it's held back by the simplicity of the prose, but I think that strong theme, combined with the depth of the societies it portrays, is what keeps me excited to see what happens next.
Same, I also like how terrible the actual world is, but the MC doesn't really notice.
Like the countries census record also doubles as a instant killswitch for all of their citizens, but the MC is just like, that's weird.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Bookworm's setting is very interesting to me because despite some of the initial dressing of a more typical Euro-style pseudo-medieval setting, once magic kicks in that illusion is stripped away bit by bit. Myne's compassionate enough that she can't completely defy her conscience when she sees horrible poo poo but she's also often at her limits of dealing with it all.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

ianmacdo posted:

The biggest missed opportunity in Skeleton Knight was that he basically forgot about all his skills. During all the novels he uses like less than 10 skills in total, while he actually had all the skills from all his previous classes, like in the 100's. Would have been funny for messing with the normal people.

Same, I also like how terrible the actual world is, but the MC doesn't really notice.
Like the countries census record also doubles as a instant killswitch for all of their citizens, but the MC is just like, that's weird.

Were you not paying attention when she was forced to watch those people to be killed? What part of that scene where they were basically turned to stone in front of her in agony told you she didn't notice? Was it the scene afterward where her actual father, despite being forbidden from interacting with her, offered up his cloak, whereupon she retreated to her hidden room to cuddle with her father's cloak and cry herself to sleep?

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Apr 27, 2021

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
No, OP is right. Myne is horrified and disturbed by the fact that she is party to an execution, and that the people who were killed were in some sense killed for the crime of slighting her, personally. But there's no reason to think she wouldn't have been just as upset if the execution had been performed with a big axe instead.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

ianmacdo posted:

While I do wish he had used more of his skills, I at least appreciated the conceit that he had to actually put in some work at learning how to be a proper warrior since he was just getting buy on super strength and surprise.

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

nrook posted:

No, OP is right. Myne is horrified and disturbed by the fact that she is party to an execution, and that the people who were killed were in some sense killed for the crime of slighting her, personally. But there's no reason to think she wouldn't have been just as upset if the execution had been performed with a big axe instead.

Yeah, that's what I meant, I think she would have been just as freaked out if they went and stabbed them all to death. But the implications of their citizenship records being able to just kill anyone at anytime are even more horrific, I think.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Part of what makes Bookworm so good is that Myne has to deal with a world that has a different set of morals than earth, she can't magically fix their viewpoint right away, and doing so might cause major problems she isn't in a position to fix yet. Its possible that humanity is even starting to branch off into different species because people with different levels of mana can't reproduce with each other easily. Its willing to explore things that most isekais ignore and just give the world modern values (or in some lovely works just have the protagonist not give a poo poo.)

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Apr 27, 2021

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
In case anyone else didn't notice, the 3rd volume of A Gentle Noble's Vacation Recommendation came out a few weeks ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Everything Burrito posted:

In case anyone else didn't notice, the 3rd volume of A Gentle Noble's Vacation Recommendation came out a few weeks ago

I'm not familiar with this series at all; how is it?