Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

McDavid ending up in Edmonton broke the NHL BoG's brains forever
They get pissed at everything and have 0 idea what they want. Like the 1st 2 rules just go back on things they changed a few years ago, with them being angry that the thing they explicitly made possible happened.

I also think that with Edmonton they would not have been allowed to win the Yakupov draft but otherwise would have had the same results. By the time the McDavid lottery happened they would've only had the 1 lottery win in 5 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
It's going to be funny to watch Blues fans realize their excuse "everybody's injured that's why they're .500 against San Jose, LA, and Arizona" doesn't work anymore as they get ground into dust by Vegas, Colorado, and Minnesota.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How about for one year instead of drafting players we force Edmonton to draft the entire management chain. Everyone from the owner to the coach is up for grabs and the draft pool is basically anyone that has never held a job for the Oilers organization.

Nothing will change for that team until they have people in charge that actually give a poo poo.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Mike_V posted:

It's going to be funny to watch Blues fans realize their excuse "everybody's injured that's why they're .500 against San Jose, LA, and Arizona" doesn't work anymore as they get ground into dust by Vegas, Colorado, and Minnesota.

I'm just going to be honest and say that the Blues will actually win a couple against Minnesota. Especially if the Wild can't turn around after getting rightfully embarrassed by the Avs. They looked tentative for most of the game against Anaheim, so unless they come out and just grind Anaheim out of the building on Wednesday, this is a good time to play Minnesota (STL v MIN on Thursday too).

This is also a really bad time to play Colorado, so I'm sure the rest of the West is hoping they get a little cold again soon.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

xzzy posted:

Nothing will change for that team until they have people in charge that actually give a poo poo.

The Oilers are pretty good this year thanks to McDavid and Draisaitl playing better than anyone in the post lockout era. I wouldn't consider them a cup favourite or anything, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit if the stars aligned and they went on a deep run or even won.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Oilers are bad I say as I refuse to look at the standings or stats or

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Do the Sabres finish in a real playoff spot any year if they get McDavid instead of Eichel?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Not without Leon!

Also Dave Tippett is a good coach, which the Oilers haven't had since MacT was behind the bench (Renney was fine probably but who knows, that roster was a disaster). The Oilers finally are mostly a breakeven team away from Leon and Connor at 5x5 outside of whatever Kyle Turris was doing earlier in the year. Their depth isn't hurting them which is a new thing.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Yeah the Oilers sorta tread water clumsily waiting for McDavid to get out there, but when he does it's basically a guaranteed top quality scoring chance per shift so it really doesn't matter too much.

Please god don't let them end Canada's cup drought, I think that would break me forever.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
The NHL just needs to get better at rigging the lottery and put the next McDavid on the Rangers

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Ginette Reno posted:

The NHL just needs to get better at rigging the lottery and put the next McDavid on the Rangers

Edmonton east all over again.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
There is no point to a sports league even having a draft if they aren't competent enough to rig it to send generational superstars to big markets.

Of course even if Bettman somehow managed to figure out how to rig the draft, he would just send generational superstars to the southern U.S. teams he loves so much.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Incidentally, has anyone else noticed several different opposing (not VGK's own) broadcasters casually referring to MAF as "future Hall of Famer"?

I guess he is, but man does that feel weird.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I think it's time to fire Brad and blow it up.

Yup, about a year too late and the returns for everyone will be lower because of it. Outside of a couple of younger players on the team, I really wouldn't be too unhappy to see anyone go.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

MAF is 36 and playing in his 17th NHL season and I'm still not sure if he sucks or not.

Misanthrope posted:

Yup, about a year too late and the returns for everyone will be lower because of it. Outside of a couple of younger players on the team, I really wouldn't be too unhappy to see anyone go.

Last offseason is looking uh pretty ill considered at this point. I still don't get how a team can be so much less than the sum of its parts.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Misanthrope posted:

My general feeling is Gaudreau should go first, since he has the most value

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

The Oilers are bad I say as I refuse to look at the standings or stats or

Padding your stats by playing in the Canada division doesnt count. :colbert:

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Errm, let's keep the terminology clear and concise for everyone: it's called the "Scotia North Division".

Let us pay the appropriate mind-rent to our landlords.

Thank you.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The True North, Strong and Very Competitively Priced

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I think I had Edmonton second in my preseason rankings because I simply wasn’t going to bet against McDavid in a short season in the Canadian division

On the other hand I had Winnipeg like 6th or something because I assumed Connor Hellebuyck would eventually crack and they’d actually have to deal with the fact that they’re a one-line roster so shows what I know

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/1374390806086217730

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

I think I had Edmonton second in my preseason rankings because I simply wasn’t going to bet against McDavid in a short season in the Canadian division

On the other hand I had Winnipeg like 6th or something because I assumed Connor Hellebuyck would eventually crack and they’d actually have to deal with the fact that they’re a one-line roster so shows what I know

All the Canadian teams (except for Ottawa lol) have been extremely hot and cold this year. The Leafs seemed to be the one team capable of bucking the trend until they swept the Oilers and decided to go into a tail spin. The old adage has held true, in Toronto when spring comes the Leafs fall. The Oilers are playing great right now but were a bubble team until a month ago. It's bizarre but I could genuinely see them falling to 4th in the division before all is said and done.

In short: Canada is just awful. We might as well do away with it and spare ourselves the headaches.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

Koopa Kid posted:

That's a weird description of the Jet's, whose strength is forward depth. They have one of the best wingers in the league on the second line. The problem is that they're a one defense man roster.

E: also hot and cold? The jet's have one losing streak of more than 1 game, and it's two games.

I'm not saying their great but at least get your criticism right

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

Incidentally, has anyone else noticed several different opposing (not VGK's own) broadcasters casually referring to MAF as "future Hall of Famer"?

I guess he is, but man does that feel weird.
They've been doing that for a while. Like him being the #1 goalie on the All-Decade team was the kind of undeserved honour that people have been bestowing on him. He's going to be very high in any goalie counting stats, and he might actually get the high Vezina finish this year that he was lacking before.

I feel like he got an incredible amount of mileage out of being benched during 2 Cup wins

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Misanthrope posted:

I think I've said this before, but I'm almost positive that whichever of Benning/Treliving missed the playoffs pre covid last year was getting canned and they didn't because of the play in round which is super funny (even if the play in round was very not funny to me).

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Duck Rodgers posted:

That's a weird description of the Jet's, whose strength is forward depth. They have one of the best wingers in the league on the second line. The problem is that they're a one defense man roster.

E: also hot and cold? The jet's have one losing streak of more than 1 game, and it's two games.

I'm not saying their great but at least get your criticism right

I get that Lowry and Copp are chipping in and all but Wheeler is a shell of himself and only getting worse and Dubois has yet to light the world on fire since coming over so I'm sticking with my assessment until that talent performs to their theoretical level

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I think I've said this before, but I'm almost positive that whichever of Benning/Treliving missed the playoffs pre covid last year was getting canned and they didn't because of the play in round which is super funny (even if the play in round was very not funny to me).

Benning had just signed a multi-year extension and the team had shown real forward momentum for the first time under his management. Even if they'd crashed out of the playoffs after trading the farm for Toffoli, I don't think Benning was getting fired. This year, I think there's a real risk. Ownership won't let him extend his head coach or goalie coach despite him publicly saying he wants to. I think it's likely ownership cleans house this summer. It's five seasons overdue, but maybe just maybe it'll finally happen.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

ThinkTank posted:

All the Canadian teams (except for Ottawa lol) have been extremely hot and cold this year. The Leafs seemed to be the one team capable of bucking the trend until they swept the Oilers and decided to go into a tail spin. The old adage has held true, in Toronto when spring comes the Leafs fall. The Oilers are playing great right now but were a bubble team until a month ago. It's bizarre but I could genuinely see them falling to 4th in the division before all is said and done.

In short: Canada is just awful. We might as well do away with it and spare ourselves the headaches.

I still feel like whoever does make it out of the Canadian division will get swept by whoever they face in the semi-finals.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I guess Kyle Connor doesn't get much notice because he's stuck in Winnipeg, but every time I watch the Jets he's great offensively. Dude is a fuckin' sniper and would probably score at or near 50 a year if he played for a coach with an offensive clue.

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog

LumpyGumby posted:

Quick recap:

Zadorov for Saad

Avs robbed the Hawks on this deal. I miss Saad :smith:

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

I guess Kyle Connor doesn't get much notice because he's stuck in Winnipeg, but every time I watch the Jets he's great offensively. Dude is a fuckin' sniper and would probably score at or near 50 a year if he played for a coach with an offensive clue.

The Jets have had a single season outside of the top 10 in goals per game in the last 5 seasons. How many more goals do you think they should be scoring??

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The Jets have had a single season outside of the top 10 in goals per game in the last 5 seasons. How many more goals do you think they should be scoring??

Lots, they have had tons of offensive talent that Maurice is keeping muzzled IMO. They turtle on every lead like it's Game 7 and there are five minutes left.

Spring Break My Heart posted:

They've been doing that for a while. Like him being the #1 goalie on the All-Decade team was the kind of undeserved honour that people have been bestowing on him. He's going to be very high in any goalie counting stats, and he might actually get the high Vezina finish this year that he was lacking before.

I feel like he got an incredible amount of mileage out of being benched during 2 Cup wins

MAF hasn't really had a HOF quality career IMO but is going to be elected first ballot because:

1. I don't think there's any player in any sport that is as universally beloved as a person as MAF
2. He was the goalie on the league's highest profile team for a decade, thus had Eddie and Pierre beatifying him on national TV 25 times a year for many years
3. His ridiculous agility and poor technique (until about 2015) meant he routinely led the league in highlight reel saves despite being generally mediocre
4. He aged very well because about 2015 someone finally took the time to teach him how to properly play goaltender in the NHL (the one and only Good Thing Mike Johnston ever did)
5. He was the only recognizable name on the VGK team that ran to the Finals its first year and got huge credit for it.

So it's been a really interesting and high profile career. I can't feel bad about him getting elected because, again, he is a super awesome guy and deserves good things.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Can his display in the HHOF include all the beach ball gifs please?

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Koopa Kid posted:

I get that Lowry and Copp are chipping in and all but Wheeler is a shell of himself and only getting worse and Dubois has yet to light the world on fire since coming over so I'm sticking with my assessment until that talent performs to their theoretical level

The top 5 scorers between WPG and Toronto are basically the same number of points. Both teams have exactly the same number of double digit scorers with the only, very slight, difference being that Toronto has 13 more points spread out amongst the rest of their roster vs WPG. Also they are only 2 points back of Toronto on the same games played. If Winnipeg could add an actual capable defenseman they will be extremely dangerous.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Man that Binnington contract is looking awesome already.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

rex rabidorum vires posted:

The top 5 scorers between WPG and Toronto are basically the same number of points. Both teams have exactly the same number of double digit scorers with the only, very slight, difference being that Toronto has 13 more points spread out amongst the rest of their roster vs WPG. Also they are only 2 points back of Toronto on the same games played. If Winnipeg could add an actual capable defenseman they will be extremely dangerous.

I know nobody cares about PDO problems but Toronto shot 5% as a team and had a save percentage sub .900 for two weeks, the closeness of the standings right now is reflective of that and hopefully from a Leafs perspective won't remain that way, obviously this stuff ebbs and flows but the Leafs are literally at the unsustainable nadir of their season

Not related to your point but I certainly wasn't trying to discredit Kyle Connor, what the hell

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Man that Binnington contract is looking awesome already.

Jordan Binnington is Andrew Hammond except he won a cup.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

Lots, they have had tons of offensive talent that Maurice is keeping muzzled IMO. They turtle on every lead like it's Game 7 and there are five minutes left.

What exactly is lots? Lets ignore Tampa, since they are head and shoulders above everyone virtually every year.

For the Jets to be second in the league in scoring:

20-21 +0.16GF/G is 5 goals more they'd score total
19-20 +0.42GF/G is 30 goals
18-19 +0.23GF/G is 19 goals
17-18 (second in GF/G) is 0 goals
16-17 +0.21 GF/G is 17 goals

Reminder, they've been in the top 10 in GF/G every one of these seasons except 19-20 when they were 17th. Lots doesn't exist unless you think the Jets have the best offensive talent in the league and just need a good coach to get them to score 3.5 goals per game which noone but Tampa does.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Koopa Kid posted:

I know nobody cares about PDO problems but Toronto shot 5% as a team and had a save percentage sub .900 for two weeks, the closeness of the standings right now is reflective of that and hopefully from a Leafs perspective won't remain that way, obviously this stuff ebbs and flows but the Leafs are literally at the unsustainable nadir of their season

Not related to your point but I certainly wasn't trying to discredit Kyle Connor, what the hell

Toronto is carrying a 101.8 PDO vs WPGs 101 on the season. Even with the Leafs cratering for 2 weeks they are still shooting drat near 11% in all situations ( a full 2.3% above league average) and at 5v5 the Leafs are shooting 8.8% vs league average of 7.8 and receiving a slightly above average .930 vs .922 goaltending. All situations is slightly above as well with .909 vs .904. Contrast to Winnipeg also 11% all situation shooting % with a 5v5 of 8.2%. .928 5v5 sv% so far along with a .910 in all situations. So both teams could regress. I trust WPGs goaltending a whole hell of a lot more than Toronto's. It's actually pretty crazy how close statistically these two teams are. The underlyings in terms of shots and chances all point towards Toronto being a better team with positives in all the categories vs WPG having like a 45% xG but overperforming that by about 4% which is mostly down to having an inordinate number of high danger saves and conversion rate. Fortunately both teams play each other a few more times this season so I'll have to remember to actually like watch them instead of regurgitating a bunch of random stats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

Jordan Binnington is Andrew Hammond except he won a cup.

So Cam Ward.