Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Before the accident happens, she can't even keep her eyes on the road for a bit because she's checking him out right back. They're both young people clearly into each other.

Yeah, and touching her hair shows that he craves human contact, while him zooming away as soon as she's clearly OK and still smiling at him shows that he's a nerd shut-in who's terrified of human contact

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Martman posted:

Isn't it the movie child-Bruce saw with his parents? I was imagining we'd just watch it with him, maybe their heads would be in the frame MST3K style

I think Excalibur was listed as "Coming Soon" on the marquee while there was a Zorro poster shown as "Now Playing"

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
A mustache and mullet in zsjl would have owned

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

roffels posted:

I think Excalibur was listed as "Coming Soon" on the marquee while there was a Zorro poster shown as "Now Playing"

This is correct

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MacheteZombie posted:

[ancient lamentation music]

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Should have kicked in when steppys axe met supes shoulder.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

MacheteZombie posted:

I mean, that would have been fairly accurate to the Death and Return comics. Superman returns from the grave in a sweet black and silver outfit (also carrying guys if I'm remembering correctly for reasons that escape me now lol 90s comics) and rocking a sweet rear end mullet.

GIVE ME GUN TOTING MULLET SUPERMAN SYNDER YOU COWARD!

Legit loved ZSJL, watched MoS and BvS ultimate before starting it and made it about an hour in before I had to tap and go to sleep Friday night.

I can't wait for the 4K disc to be released.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

joylessdivision posted:

I mean, that would have been fairly accurate to the Death and Return comics. Superman returns from the grave in a sweet black and silver outfit (also carrying guys if I'm remembering correctly for reasons that escape me now lol 90s comics) and rocking a sweet rear end mullet.

GIVE ME GUN TOTING MULLET SUPERMAN SYNDER YOU COWARD!

Legit loved ZSJL, watched MoS and BvS ultimate before starting it and made it about an hour in before I had to tap and go to sleep Friday night.

I can't wait for the 4K disc to be released.

oh I know and snyder has said he wanted the mullet but wb balked. I still want it!

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I watched the Snydercut over the weekend. I would say that I thought it was pretty good. Very competent. To be honest, I was kind of shocked at how straightforward it was. Snyder's work that I've seen has mainly been exemplified by taking big weird swings at ideas and themes that often don't work (like pretty much all of BvS) but at least it's going for something somewhat unique. ZSJL isn't really going for anything particularly ambitious. Other than the length and Snyder's visual style there pretty much isn't anything in this movie that you wouldn't see in an MCU film. It's hilarious that the studio panicked and roped in Whedon to try and make them an Avengers movie, when Snyder had made them an inoffensive Avengers movie already. Oh, all apart from the new epilogue, which was just rubbish. It's kind of remarkable that so much drama and heated emotions have been generated over such an unremarkably decent movie. Though I'm probably being a little harsh, just making a 4 hour movie that doesn't feel like it drags too much is probably an accomplishment in itself.

It is much better than the OG JL though of course. Though frankly as much as Joss Whedon can go gently caress himself, I don't know how much to blame him for that. I suspect that Whedon is a man who had exactly one Avengers film in him, and then corporations kept driving dump trucks full of money to his house to get him to make it again, to increasingly diminishing results. They did it once with Ultron, and then WB did it with Justice League, and Whedon not giving the slightest poo poo any more just followed the studio's demands to the letter: make it two hours long, make it brighter, put in more (poo poo) jokes. I doubt Whedon is particularly upset about Twitter dunking on him for Justice League, he obviously didn't care at all about it and he (deservedly) has bigger problems going on right now. But I don't know how much to read racism into the fact that he heavily cut the non-white characters as it wasn't his fault that Cyborg and Cyborg's dad's lab friend had storylines that were almost totally irrelevant to the main plot of the movie and didn't tie into any other movies currently in production and as such were obviously the main targets for cutting when he had to halve the running time.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
It's insanely easy to blame whedon when his idea of fixing the movie included a boob pratfall and shots of gals butt for no reason

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MacheteZombie posted:

It's insanely easy to blame whedon when his idea of fixing the movie included a boob pratfall and shots of gals butt for no reason

Well and the massive removal of non white actors and making cyborg barley a step above black comedic sidekick.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Comrade Fakename posted:

I watched the Snydercut over the weekend. I would say that I thought it was pretty good. Very competent. To be honest, I was kind of shocked at how straightforward it was. Snyder's work that I've seen has mainly been exemplified by taking big weird swings at ideas and themes that often don't work (like pretty much all of BvS) but at least it's going for something somewhat unique. ZSJL isn't really going for anything particularly ambitious.

Yeah, I noticed this too. He had already met them halfway when they decided to re-do everything for some reason.

Also, it's pretty funny that the jokes Grimdark Zack Snyder & Serious Drama Writer Chris Terrio resignedly put into their movie are all way funnier than professional comedy writer Joss Whedon's jokes.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Well and the massive removal of non white actors and making cyborg barley a step above black comedic sidekick.

Yeah I shouldn't have left that out of my post. It was a total hack job and I can only assume he was functioning on a ton of spite with they way he chopped out so many of the moments people are praising.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Comrade Fakename posted:

I watched the Snydercut over the weekend. I would say that I thought it was pretty good. Very competent. To be honest, I was kind of shocked at how straightforward it was. Snyder's work that I've seen has mainly been exemplified by taking big weird swings at ideas and themes that often don't work (like pretty much all of BvS) but at least it's going for something somewhat unique. ZSJL isn't really going for anything particularly ambitious.

I agree that it's his most conservative movie, though I think it's quite ambitious within that context. It's ridiculous how much better Snyder could do straight-forward triumphalism better than the Avengers, but I think this is what will ultimately keep this film low on how I see his filmography.

Maybe the theoretical sequels could re-contextualize it better? As SMG noted, the epilogue certainly reframes how limited their victory really is.

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 23, 2021

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I do think it's fair in that instance to say you don't know if Whedon in particular is to blame for the systematic removal of a bunch of POCs and the roles of others drastically reduced. Ray Fisher has said that it was Hamada and other executives saying "we can't have an angry black man as the center of the movie" and I believe intimated that Johns was involved in those kinds of decisions as well. But yeah, we know what Whedon's agenda was by what he chose to add in to replace those removed scenes, and it was just as ugly.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Comrade Fakename posted:

I watched the Snydercut over the weekend. I would say that I thought it was pretty good. Very competent. To be honest, I was kind of shocked at how straightforward it was. Snyder's work that I've seen has mainly been exemplified by taking big weird swings at ideas and themes that often don't work (like pretty much all of BvS) but at least it's going for something somewhat unique. ZSJL isn't really going for anything particularly ambitious. Other than the length and Snyder's visual style there pretty much isn't anything in this movie that you wouldn't see in an MCU film. It's hilarious that the studio panicked and roped in Whedon to try and make them an Avengers movie, when Snyder had made them an inoffensive Avengers movie already. Oh, all apart from the new epilogue, which was just rubbish. It's kind of remarkable that so much drama and heated emotions have been generated over such an unremarkably decent movie. Though I'm probably being a little harsh, just making a 4 hour movie that doesn't feel like it drags too much is probably an accomplishment in itself.

It is much better than the OG JL though of course. Though frankly as much as Joss Whedon can go gently caress himself, I don't know how much to blame him for that. I suspect that Whedon is a man who had exactly one Avengers film in him, and then corporations kept driving dump trucks full of money to his house to get him to make it again, to increasingly diminishing results. They did it once with Ultron, and then WB did it with Justice League, and Whedon not giving the slightest poo poo any more just followed the studio's demands to the letter: make it two hours long, make it brighter, put in more (poo poo) jokes. I doubt Whedon is particularly upset about Twitter dunking on him for Justice League, he obviously didn't care at all about it and he (deservedly) has bigger problems going on right now. But I don't know how much to read racism into the fact that he heavily cut the non-white characters as it wasn't his fault that Cyborg and Cyborg's dad's lab friend had storylines that were almost totally irrelevant to the main plot of the movie and didn't tie into any other movies currently in production and as such were obviously the main targets for cutting when he had to halve the running time.

Ok so why did he delete all the black and Asian amazons then

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Guy A. Person posted:

I do think it's fair in that instance to say you don't know if Whedon in particular is to blame for the systematic removal of a bunch of POCs and the roles of others drastically reduced. Ray Fisher has said that it was Hamada and other executives saying "we can't have an angry black man as the center of the movie" and I believe intimated that Johns was involved in those kinds of decisions as well. But yeah, we know what Whedon's agenda was by what he chose to add in to replace those removed scenes, and it was just as ugly.

That particular story relayed by Fisher is a great example of how racism mostly functions in postmodern society. Like those studio executives would claim that removing a black main character from a movie doesn’t mean they’re racists, because they don’t personally have any problems with black people or black characters in films. But the general public is definitely racist enough that we had no choice but to take action in order to fulfill our fiduciary duty to investors.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

MacheteZombie posted:

oh I know and snyder has said he wanted the mullet but wb balked. I still want it!

I know the actual answer to this is, "Who cares, it would look cool," but indulge me for a second, because you know people would ask. What would the explanation for Superman growing a mullet in death be? The Motherbox brought him back to life, and made just that hair grow? No beard, just the hair at the back of his head?

Again, super minor, and the real answer is, "Who cares?" Just a fun thing to think about.

"Motherboxes have been watching us this whole time, and they really miss mullets, okay?"

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

thrawn527 posted:

I know the actual answer to this is, "Who cares, it would look cool," but indulge me for a second, because you know people would ask. What would the explanation for Superman growing a mullet in death be? The Motherbox brought him back to life, and made just that hair grow? No beard, just the hair at the back of his head?

Again, super minor, and the real answer is, "Who cares?" Just a fun thing to think about.

"Motherboxes have been watching us this whole time, and they really miss mullets, okay?"

"Siri, show me a picture of a 40-year-old from Kansas"

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The motherbox gave him a business in the front party in the back mindset

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

KVeezy3 posted:

That particular story relayed by Fisher is a great example of how racism mostly functions in postmodern society. Like those studio executives would claim that removing a black main character from a movie doesn’t mean they’re racists, because they don’t personally have any problems with black people or black characters in films. But the general public is definitely racist enough that we had no choice but to take action in order to fulfill our fiduciary duty to investors.
And like everything in American politics, in a pinch you can always blame the Chinese

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

KVeezy3 posted:

Yeah it's exactly like how minority/female led super hero movies were unthinkable until Wonder Woman and Black Panther proved that wrong, so now the studios get to have their cake and eat it too. They get praised for being progressive enough to produce these movies, but hey it wasn't their fault they took so long, the world just wasn't ready! (and what can possibly shape cultural acceptance if not massive loving blockbusters you're spending hundreds of millions to create and promote?)

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KVeezy3 posted:

Also the Mainland Chinese market. Like I wonder if that was also part of their “logic stream” on why they had to (and no pun intended) tone things down.

Halloween Jack posted:

And like everything in American politics, in a pinch you can always blame the Chinese

Man if you don’t think that market is insanely racist too...like I don’t know what I can tell you.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

thrawn527 posted:

Maybe a sign that him dying isn't the same as a regular human dying, show that the hair has carried on growing after death

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I agree that this is basically Zacks version of a crowd pleaser. Usually Zack is trying to be just a little bit uncomfortable with his stuff or have some controversial elements in his films, bit ZSJL is just a straight up blockbuster tentpole with most the edges fiöes off.

Zack always did say that the idea was that MoS was the introduction to the world and kind of sets the tone, BvS would be kind of like the a low point for the heroes and JL would be a lighter more traditional superhero flick.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

MacheteZombie posted:

Well then I amend my previous statement.

GIVE ME THE MULLET CUT WB YOU COWARDS!

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

AdmiralViscen posted:

Ok so why did he delete all the black and Asian amazons then
To paraphrase another poster, they were obviously his favorite scenes.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Man if you don’t think that market is insanely racist too...like I don’t know what I can tell you.
Oh, word? We should probably start a war with them, then.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I was thinking about the joker end scene and who else i’d like to see on batmans roster.

Faora,it would be so cool for her to be on the good side and yet still be against superman.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Faora,it would be so cool for her to be on the good side and yet still be against superman.

gently caress.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Halloween Jack posted:

Oh, word? We should probably start a war with them, then.
I’m not the one thinking that appeasing to racism in China is totally not a thing that Hollywood does.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I was thinking about the joker end scene and who else i’d like to see on batmans roster.

That would take some bite out of Superman being evil, though. If you had someone near or at Superman's strength, Superman being evil would be less of an, "Oh gently caress" situation.

Batman leading a gang of, "Definitely couldn't bring down Superman" heroes in the Fury Road future is what makes their deal interesting. Faora could fight Superman to at least distract him, and Batman and crew could do whatever they need to do. As it is, when Superman shows up, it's a serious problem.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

thrawn527 posted:

That would take some bite out of Superman being evil, though. If you had someone near or at Superman's strength, Superman being evil would be less of an, "Oh gently caress" situation.

Make a movie of Batman's Mad Max squad trying to find and release Faora from the Phantom Zone to help them fight Anti-Life Man.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

teagone posted:

Make a movie of Batman's Mad Max squad trying to find and release Faora from the Phantom Zone to help them fight Anti-Life Man.

...sold.

Like, holy poo poo, I'm sold.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I’m not the one thinking that appeasing to racism in China is totally not a thing that Hollywood does.
You've put more effort into this than it would take to read and understand my original comment.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

thrawn527 posted:

Batman leading a gang of, "Definitely couldn't bring down Superman" heroes in the Fury Road future is what makes their deal interesting. Faora could fight Superman to at least distract him, and Batman and crew could do whatever they need to do. As it is, when Superman shows up, it's a serious problem.

Yeah but,superman not holding back and having no worries about collateral damage is a different supes than what she fought in MOS.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Oh and she got married to detective stabler in the phantom zone,make it so.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Speaking of China. It boggles my mind that Snyder introduced a Chinese character so that he could produce a Chinese superhero movie with a Chinese cast (and I'd presume director) and WB/Hamada said "nah." I'm sure that it's an oversimplification to say that releasing a big blockbuster movie trailored to a Chinese audience is a guaranteed success, but I'm sure a Ryan Choi Atom movie would have been a slam dunk.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Yeah but,superman not holding back and having no worries about collateral damage is a different supes than what she fought in MOS.

But when he fought her in MOS, she was just getting used to her powers, so she would be more powerful now than she was then, too. My point is that having someone on Superman's level completely changes the context of the Batman Fury Road scenes, because it's about avoiding Superman at all costs, and now Superman would be less of a threat.

Except for teagone's movie. I'm totally down for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Detective No. 27 posted:

Speaking of China. It boggles my mind that Snyder introduced a Chinese character so that he could produce a Chinese superhero movie with a Chinese cast (and I'd presume director) and WB/Hamada said "nah." I'm sure that it's an oversimplification to say that releasing a big blockbuster movie trailored to a Chinese audience is a guaranteed success, but I'm sure a Ryan Choi Atom movie would have been a slam dunk.

"Choi" would be Korean but still.