Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Do they do the scam cops do where you work 3 years of crazy overtime to game it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

BitBasher posted:

It's state/local government not a company, so that should explain some of it. It's also a pretty solid place to work for, and has a built in retirement where you flat get paid annually 75% of your top 3 years average pay from the day you put in your 30 years and quit, without directly putting in a cent. It's going to retire with 30 years at 56 years old in December of 2030, so I can gently caress off and do what I want from there.

But yeah, in certain jobs it's really problematic for filling spots, specifically technical positions.

Retiring at 56 and getting paid well without having to invest a penny into a 401k or other savings account sounds like heaven.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

BitBasher posted:

It's state/local government not a company, so that should explain some of it.

I have a story that might take the cake. Its more funny than dumb.

In my freshman year of college they had a job fair thing for student jobs. One posting was for a Boston green line trolley driver. I thought why not and applied.

I got a letter saying sorry, your name wasn't picked from the lottery but will be kept on file. Kind of a bummer but oh well, I quickly forgot about it. I finished college, graduated, got a job and all that. Then, six years later at that point, I got an email:

CONGRATULATIONS YOU WON THE LOTTERY

I was about to flag it as spam before I realized what it was. They weren't kidding about keeping your name on file, mine had finally come up and I was to report to trolley driver training in a week. I had a friends' wedding on the same day so I didn't go, still kinda regret that.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Volmarias posted:

Seeing as how it sounds like this person is actively a drain on your department compared to having no one in their spot, maybe tell your boss that it's been 18 months, it's time to leave the nest and either fly or splatter

titty_baby_ posted:

Theyve figure it out. They just act like they don't know what they're doing a gently caress around and get everyone else to pull the slack. They'll probably be promoted to middle management

My brother has worked in the office of a transportation company for over 20 years and they're constantly pulling this poo poo on him because they know he'll always take up the slack. They bought out a rival company and part of the deal was that they re-hired one of their managers but it turns out the guy was a boomer who "wasn't into computers" and just wasn't capable of performing half the tasks he needed. That's okay, my brother covered for him! He was real angry about it ..... but he still did it. Next the owner hired all his adult children into the company (not at starting wages though, they were paid much higher than that) and they also weren't capable of performing the requires tasks and regularly turned up an hour late and left an hour early. That's okay, my brother stepped in to cover for them! If he ever goes on holiday or long service leave he takes great pains to ensure that someone in the office can cover all his work in the interim .... and there's always a huge pile of backdated work waiting for him when he returns. If he's ever off sick he still drops in for an hour or two to finish essential stuff.

I've had long talks with him about this poo poo but he just can't stop, he's got that old timey work ethic where he can't stand to see duties going unfulfilled even if they're not his direct responsibility.

E: I'm the exact opposite. At one of my past office jobs I was the only person on the entire floor capable of meeting the KPI (and usually exceeding it by 20%) but every now and then I'd turn up a minute or two late. My team leader didn't have a problem with this but her manager was always lovely to me about it so I made a bigger effort to turn up on time but also stopped working when I hit my KPI and sat at my desk reading a book for the last hour or two every day.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Mar 23, 2021

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

titty_baby_ posted:

Do they do the scam cops do where you work 3 years of crazy overtime to game it?

Everyone that has retirement structured this way would do that at the drop of a hat, it's not unique to cops at all. That said, over the years most of the ways to make that work have been eliminated. For example, now all scheduled overtime doesn't count for that, only unscheduled like call outs, and not many positions have those.

Batterypowered7 posted:

Retiring at 56 and getting paid well without having to invest a penny into a 401k or other savings account sounds like heaven.

To be honest it's the reason I'm still at this this job. When I took this job back in late 2000 I had the choice of this job or a direct offer for almost double the pay in a dot com. I chose long term stability over pay now and don't regret the choice for a second in hindsight. The dot com bubble collapse happened shortly after. I have been offered jobs for more pay twice but stayed here just for the stability and benefits. One of my coworkers is going to retire with a full 30 at something like 49-50?

If I had been hired a few years earlier the contract a bit before mine was up to 97% at 30. With the use of shenanigans that have been since eliminated there were some people that got a 10% pay raise upon retiring.

Pekinduck posted:

I have a story that might take the cake. Its more funny than dumb...

That's great!

That's really on message where I work, but we only keep a list for 2 years. It is entirely possible that if an applicant was near the bottom of the qualified list we could give them a call tell them they got the job almost two years after the last communication with them, which would have been telling them what position they were on the list. We have called people and hired them in the last 30 days before a list expired.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

BitBasher posted:

It's state/local government not a company, so that should explain some of it. It's also a pretty solid place to work for, and has a built in retirement where you flat get paid annually 75% of your top 3 years average pay from the day you put in your 30 years and quit, without directly putting in a cent. It's going to retire with 30 years at 56 years old in December of 2030, so I can gently caress off and do what I want from there.

But yeah, in certain jobs it's really problematic for filling spots, specifically technical positions.

Yeah ok this is incredible. If I got a call back 8 months later I'd probably just ditch the job I'd taken in the meantime for this.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

AHH F/UGH posted:

It really is hard to not think Democracy doesn't work when people like this are allowed to vote and have an equal say in how things are run.

I’ve had multiple coworkers like that unable to do basic tasks, but with no mental impairments (and most with college degrees.) As many would also be incapable of physical labor gotta wonder if they’re a case for UBI as having them come into an office and surf the net for 8 hours serves zero purpose other than to put another car on the road, but how else are they supposed to get health insurance? Would be good if they could be more easily replaced without managers worrying they’d be unemployable.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Somehow almost everybody at my job is scheduled to get the second dose of the Covid vaccine today. Which means almost everybody is planning on calling in sick tomorrow because we're almost certainly going to feel like poo poo.

A few people have refused to get vaccinated but I don't even know what to say to someone like that at this point. Maybe in a few months when we're all still alive, don't have autism, and aren't passing microchips like they were kidney stones, these people will schedule themselves for a shot.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

this was entirely predictable

https://twitter.com/DoHoBOB/status/1374364875401658372?s=20

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Why does London have a skyscraper that looks like a 15 year old eMachine tower?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

It can be upgraded every year so it's never obsolete

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

so they can melt cars and pedestrians passing beneath it

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

If they put a boiler with a steam turbine at the focal point it would be a great steam generator.

Missed opportunity

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Because new buildings have to be different and quirky so the architects get mentioned in the news and can charge even more for the next one.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

One of the dumbest parts of the whole hour long ordeal was that they were “locked out” of the business system and said their password didn’t work.

I had them go back and type it instead of using the autofill - it worked. They had updated it and some point and never updated the autofill function in chrome to save the new password. Then they got into our invoice program and also was locked out due to password issues - I had them type their password in again but told them to make sure to follow the case sensitivity rule and capitalize the first letter like the way their password was written down, and that worked.

Like, how the hell does a 30-something not understand you have to use capital letters in password fields? My god they’ve been flat on their rear end, unable to do anything and working with IT to figure these login issues out but it’s just a matter of being too lazy to update their autofill, excel password list and type things correctly. Extremely basic poo poo. Now thinking about it I’m almost positive my supervisor dumped it on me to help this noob.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Animal-Mother posted:

Somehow almost everybody at my job is scheduled to get the second dose of the Covid vaccine today. Which means almost everybody is planning on calling in sick tomorrow because we're almost certainly going to feel like poo poo.

A few people have refused to get vaccinated but I don't even know what to say to someone like that at this point. Maybe in a few months when we're all still alive, don't have autism, and aren't passing microchips like they were kidney stones, these people will schedule themselves for a shot.

Our financial guy at work has been at home since all of this started but comes in once every 2 weeks on like Wednesday or Thursday afternoon to do payroll because he's less distracted here than at home I guess.

Pretty early on when everyone was wearing masks and it was a write up if you didn't, he refused, and his argument was that he was going straight to his office and keeping the door shut, etc.

He called last week about a tech issue but once I fixed that we were just chatting and I mentioned that I got my first dose and to keep an eye on the Walgreens website because they were starting to become available in my area. "Oh, I don't think I'm getting that, we don't know the long term ramifications". My wife is a microbiologist and I've also done some reading so I explain the mRNA thing and also how my dad has had the vaccine since September since he was in the study for it and he hasn't sprouted two heads or anything. "Well I just don't think we should be messing with nature like that". Ok buddy, whatever.

Huge Trump guy, surprise.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Combo posted:

Our financial guy at work has been at home since all of this started but comes in once every 2 weeks on like Wednesday or Thursday afternoon to do payroll because he's less distracted here than at home I guess.

Pretty early on when everyone was wearing masks and it was a write up if you didn't, he refused, and his argument was that he was going straight to his office and keeping the door shut, etc.

He called last week about a tech issue but once I fixed that we were just chatting and I mentioned that I got my first dose and to keep an eye on the Walgreens website because they were starting to become available in my area. "Oh, I don't think I'm getting that, we don't know the long term ramifications". My wife is a microbiologist and I've also done some reading so I explain the mRNA thing and also how my dad has had the vaccine since September since he was in the study for it and he hasn't sprouted two heads or anything. "Well I just don't think we should be messing with nature like that". Ok buddy, whatever.

Huge Trump guy, surprise.

Tell him to forgoe all vaccines and medications and medicine of any kind, and to lick doorknobs

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Combo posted:

"Well I just don't think we should be messing with nature like that".

I always point these particular idiots toward the Primitive Technology youtube channel and tell them to start studying. No more cars, computers, running water, or medicine for you. Stop messing with nature.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Animal-Mother posted:

I always point these particular idiots toward the Primitive Technology youtube channel and tell them to start studying. No more cars, computers, running water, or medicine for you. Stop messing with nature.

The only problem there is that this "messing with nature" line comes from the MRNA vaccines specifically because of the conspiracy/dumbfuck theory that the MRNA version modify every cell in your body along with a bunch of other poo poo pushed by the anti-vaxx and conspiracy theory community. They are probably fine with other medicine and technology, but are using this specifically about the COVID vaccine as a way to sound like they believe in science but also using a lack of understanding of science to reject a vaccine.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

titty_baby_ posted:

Tell him to forgoe all vaccines and medications and medicine of any kind, and to lick doorknobs

Yeah. He's a somewhat nice but extremely difficult guy. It just wasn't worth the discussion.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The antivax people in my life who are all "but we don't know if it's safe yet!" are frequently the same people who heavily indulge in whatever herbal medicine bullshit they see online and claim it's super effective but big pharma refuses to do the medical regulation testing.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
i know someone who works in the "medical" field that refuses to recommend anything to a patient they haven't tried themselves. when i pointed out how stupid that is, i was met with deer in the headlights look.

why yes, he's a chiropractor, how did you know

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

So im basically a computer security guard and i monitor a system where we get a ticket in, look at all the deets, decide if its a real attack or harmless or the system being broken and stupid and then close it or send it on to someone to deal with, thats like basically the whole job. They added another system on top of this and spent ages telling us about how its gonna streamline everything and make it so much faster.
Now instead of just closing the thing or sending it on i have to fill out like 8 text boxes and a bunch of drop downs all for it to just do the same thing it did before with 2 clicks.
Every single person i have spoken to says this is a worse system but they apparently paid a lot for it so we all just have to use it forever.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

vyst posted:

We’ve lost 7 of our 10 most senior people in the past 3 months to external companies and competitors but yeah everyone has a great work life balance and is doing great

I am starting my new role on Monday.

When I told my boss 2 weeks ago I was leaving, she didn't sound happy and "it is sudden and we're losing an experienced person", but then she said she's happy for me...

It wasn't sudden, for the last few years at each meeting I've been banging on about inappropriate pay, upward mobility etc, but no actual useful action was taken. If my constant refrain was "pay me more", and they didn't, what did they expect would happen?

I am, I think, the fifth person to leave the team in about as many months. For exactly the same reason.

Steakandchips fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Mar 23, 2021

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Steakandchips posted:

I am starting my new role on Monday.

When I told my boss 2 weeks ago I was leaving, she didn't sound happy and "it is sudden and we're losing an experienced person", but then she said she's happy for me...

It wasn't sudden, for the last few years at each meeting I've been banging on about inappropriate pay, upward mobility etc, but no actual useful action was taken. If my constant refrain was "pay me more", and they didn't, what did they expect would happen?

I am, I think, the fifth person to leave the team in about as many months. For exactly the same reason.

I had to actually take another job and submit my 2 weeks to get a legitimate pay increase. My boss was perfectly happy to inch my pay up year by year. When I put in my 2 week notice all of a sudden he throws a 25% raise and profit sharing to keep me in place.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Yeah the hidden corporate life hack is if money is your angle, company hopping gets you there so much quicker. They don't have allegiance to you so gently caress em

*goes back to looking at linkedin job postings*

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Combo posted:

I had to actually take another job and submit my 2 weeks to get a legitimate pay increase. My boss was perfectly happy to inch my pay up year by year. When I put in my 2 week notice all of a sudden he throws a 25% raise and profit sharing to keep me in place.

Your boss is considering binning you the next chance he gets, they hate doing this poo poo and now consider you "disloyal". I suggest you look for a new role regardless, with a bump over that 25%!

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Combo posted:

My last company gave me a $0.25/hr raise about a week before I put in my two week notice because I think they realized I was taking random days off to go on interviews. I can't imagine what it's like to get a real salary increase offer when threatening to quit.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Lazyfire posted:

My last company gave me a $0.25/hr raise about a week before I put in my two week notice because I think they realized I was taking random days off to go on interviews. I can't imagine what it's like to get a real salary increase offer when threatening to quit.

When I've handed in my notice they usual try to negotiate. And it's futile. I mentally checked out when I got the offer. If you offer me more and I stay it'll be two weeks before I'm job hunting again and I'll be on the naughty list for trying to leave so will never progress

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Steakandchips posted:

Your boss is considering binning you the next chance he gets, they hate doing this poo poo and now consider you "disloyal". I suggest you look for a new role regardless, with a bump over that 25%!

That was in 2019. That's not to say that I'm not ever replaceable, but no, he can't just find someone to do all the poo poo I do.

I've gotten two raises since then.

This isn't some huge corporate environment and my job isn't one that just anyone with a bit of training can do, so I have some leverage.

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

oh if i can have another, my job constantly is trying to force me to go do non mandatory training, and making me plan to rise up the ranks and become the biggest bestest smartest boy possible at all times forever.

I'm a fuckin depressed wreck, they're lucky they can get me out of bed consistently, im not interested in spending my own time and money to get certs i dont need for my current job, just let me fuckin exist in stasis for a while til this fuckin virus poo poo ends and then i can start some personal growth again motherfuckers, and even then it'll be on my own terms and i wont be following whatever lovely development plan you force me to write then grade me on like a schoolchild.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Kullik posted:

So im basically a computer security guard and i monitor a system where we get a ticket in, look at all the deets, decide if its a real attack or harmless or the system being broken and stupid and then close it or send it on to someone to deal with, thats like basically the whole job. They added another system on top of this and spent ages telling us about how its gonna streamline everything and make it so much faster.
Now instead of just closing the thing or sending it on i have to fill out like 8 text boxes and a bunch of drop downs all for it to just do the same thing it did before with 2 clicks.
Every single person i have spoken to says this is a worse system but they apparently paid a lot for it so we all just have to use it forever.

Dang that is no fun. For how we track tickets if there is a major issue we are supposed to create a Problem to group all the tickets together to centralize communication and so they can be all closed at once. This worked fine when I had the ability to add notes detailing what the issue was and close the Problem myself. Now they added a ton of extra steps and instead of being able to close them I have to meet with a Problem Analyst to verify our Director and a Subject Matter Expert consider this workaround to be an Acceptable Risk (my director has zero clue about anything going on). I just don't open Problems anymore rather than deal with that, so far so good.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

so like if you hire us to migrate all of your poo poo over to an updated system, and you've had the project plan for months now with all the dates and deadlines clearly laid out, i'm going to be really pissed when you do a major internal reorganization three weeks after we were supposed to have your org structure transferred over and locked down

what the gently caress guys

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Kullik posted:

oh if i can have another, my job constantly is trying to force me to go do non mandatory training, and making me plan to rise up the ranks and become the biggest bestest smartest boy possible at all times forever.

I'm a fuckin depressed wreck, they're lucky they can get me out of bed consistently, im not interested in spending my own time and money to get certs i dont need for my current job, just let me fuckin exist in stasis for a while til this fuckin virus poo poo ends and then i can start some personal growth again motherfuckers, and even then it'll be on my own terms and i wont be following whatever lovely development plan you force me to write then grade me on like a schoolchild.

This resonates for me, mostly because I have no desire or intention to "rise" above anyone. I want to do my job well, work at something I like and that helps people, and make enough money to live on. That's it. There is absolutely no other desire to put myself above others. Of course I want to get paid more, but I couldnt give less of a poo poo about my title or how many loving people I can tell what to do.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Play posted:

This resonates for me, mostly because I have no desire or intention to "rise" above anyone. I want to do my job well, work at something I like and that helps people, and make enough money to live on. That's it. There is absolutely no other desire to put myself above others. Of course I want to get paid more, but I couldnt give less of a poo poo about my title or how many loving people I can tell what to do.

Yea that's a problem I have, too. After each promotion, you're expected to meet and exceed the goals for the next level to get promoted again.
Management keeps pushing publications, proposals, grants, initiatives, grants, industry partnerships, etc. Anything to bring in money and I get it. But I'd be happy to just keep working on poo poo in my lab and leave it at that. I don't want to PI or PM my own project. Leave me alone already.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I have mentioned before I am in my position in a strange appendix office in an industry that is usually promote or die because it is the best way to sandbag that whole system. If you know the business it's more or less advertised that you come here to sandbag lol.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The "expected minimum long term" grade for my job is technically management level. If you want to be at the better paid level above that you need actual experience managing people. You might never manage anyone else ever again, but for a while you will manage one of the newbies who is at the training grade.

If you are utterly incapable, have zero interpersonal skills, have no interest in managing anyone and gently caress them about so much they quit, well whoops. But you got the time logged managing someone so that probably won't count against you when you go for promotion.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I also don't care about titles or lording over other employees. I want to be left alone to handle my poo poo, for the most part.
Problem with my job is that there is no promotion track here if you're not an engineer or scientist. All the admin, IT and budget people mostly get stuck where they were hired unless they get a lucky break.

Most of the time that is due to networking but my job doesn't have me talking to anyone outside of my group. It would be extremely weird, culturally speaking, to randomly email some folks and ask about their job.
It also hurts that I never finished my degree and probably never will, so my options are terrible even in the best of circumstances.

Oh well, my retirement plan is dying in the streets, I guess.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

i found almost $780,000 per month in recurring work not being billed for so i guess not charging customers is a dumb thing my work does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Lazyfire posted:

A friend of mine was working for a utility forestry company, and while I dont know his exact wage I know the low end was $20/hr. He worked 60 hours a week, traveling and living in hotels, and had $150 a day per diem for expenses. I asked him how he liked it and he said while he was making a lot of money it was terrible. I asked him if he was looking elsewhere and he said when he tried to quit they counteroffered with an $8/hr raise and promotion so he stuck around.