Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Is the First Story like a thousand years before the start of the book or like a thousand years after it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Collateral posted:

I enjoyed Carrier Wave. Order's plan (?) to save 3000 people to carry on until the next harvest has a rather large flaw in it. All the survivors are those that are unaffected by the sound/black spot, by what he says himself, their offspring would be same. So another harvest would come to nothing.

Really enjoyed it.

I may have misread something but Aren't the "survivors" the ones they actually feed off of?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Even if that is the case they would have no way to manifest without a host of susceptible people. There is mention of the Merry (Pranksters) regaining their humanity, but most killing themselves through guilt, it would still be a small percentage. My personal feeling is that the light eyes were Chaos, not Order. Why would they engineer the snake to be there with a bomb to banish the others. It was in his nature to sow chaos.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.
I liked this book a lot more at the beginning when it seemed it was about Dark Forest aliens trying to kill other civilisations, 'magic blots out the sky and turns everyone into zombies and serial killers' is less interesting as a premise. Also I don't get why the the signal was brought back in such a convoluted way after it was destroyed - after all, it's still out there being broadcast. Just have someone stumble across it so a science journalist can make it go viral on social media.

I thought the creepiest part was seeing the scientist from the beginning be corrupted as he slowly went from wanting to study and stop the signal to embracing it.

Crashbee fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 24, 2021

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Hey everybody, since the month of Carrier Wave is now over I just wanted to point out if you like Robert Brockway's writing, come join the Patreon for 1900hotdog.

http://1900hotdog.com/

https://www.patreon.com/1900HOTDOG/posts

Its a funny and good site/discord and its pretty much the whole reason I am not around much anymore.

iTrust
Mar 25, 2010

It's not good for your health.

:frogc00l:
A couple of days late to the party, but I decided to break in my new Kindle with this. Just finished it over the course of a few days and it was highly enjoyable.

Didn't think it would be possible to have so many interwoven stories and characters wind up in a neat little bow, but I came away from it pretty satisfied with the ending and the logic of it all.

I enjoyed the characters and the first few introductions to the different types of 'monster' are genuinely well written horror. I don't think I have any real problems with the pacing or way things were revealed over time, although there were a few cases where it just sort of dumped a ton of information in one go later on - mainly during the interview with the Mechanic on the landtrain which effectively serves as the whole explanation in one fell swoop - when I was enjoying piecing things together on my own terms up to that point.

The earlier chapters serve as a good introduction to everything you need to know about what the rest of the story involves, I think. There were plenty of "oh what the gently caress" moments early on which weren't really repeated in a gratuitous fashion as things progressed, which I was happy about. As an example, I feel like repeatedly going over the sadistic behaviour of certain 'monsters' - the first Merry we meet and the way he kills everyone in the lab comes to mind - would've gotten a bit old hat. I was glad that it never outstayed its welcome.

I think the last chapter may have been better off as some shorter chapters overall, but I appreciated what it was trying to do all the same and it was nice to see certain characters from earlier on in the book reappear.

I also didn't mind how the infection ended up spreading on a large scale. It was rooted in something tangible and as something that could - and probably would - happen. There were a few contrivances to get the plot device in the right hands but nothing that was in the realm of unbelievable or absurd. With that said;

Crashbee posted:

Also I don't get why the the signal was brought back in such a convoluted way after it was destroyed - after all, it's still out there being broadcast. Just have someone stumble across it so a science journalist can make it go viral on social media.

I agree that this would've been better than what it is.

Overall, this is one of those books I wouldn't struggle with recommending to people and I'm glad to have read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I liked the way it came back - it was inevitable, and this just happened to be the vector, like the idiocy of the Army and those two klutzes in Return of the Living Dead.