Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
...I have now ordered the Dino Fury morpher and basic Pink Ranger figure. these will be the first Power Rangers toys I've bought since the cheap as poo poo western Samurai morpher, which was the first ranger toy I'd had since the Turbo stuff I had as a kid

I feel like I'll probably buy the Green Ranger figure and all of the Zords if those wind up as good as the previews look

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
turns out making a decent show with engaging characters makes idiot adults want to throw money at your plastic, who would've thought

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Shaezerus posted:

Takaharu stuff

This is the best summary of why Takaharu is horrendous I've seen and I just wanted to congratulate you. I've wanted to put my thoughts on words for a while but I never managed to make them make as much sense as you did here.

Larryb posted:

Because Koh is actually likable

I wouldn't go that far. Koh's just mediocre like the rest of his show, while Takaharu is actually awful and brings his whole series down with him.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

This is the best summary of why Takaharu is horrendous I've seen and I just wanted to congratulate you. I've wanted to put my thoughts on words for a while but I never managed to make them make as much sense as you did here.

I wouldn't go that far. Koh's just mediocre like the rest of his show, while Takaharu is actually awful and brings his whole series down with him.

Fair, though Kasumi is still a really good Pink in my opinion regardless (and her PR counterpart wasn't that bad either as I recall)

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
You know it really says something that despite the fact that Brody is basically a block of wood, he still is better than Takaharu.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Larryb posted:

Fair, though Kasumi is still a really good Pink in my opinion regardless (and her PR counterpart wasn't that bad either as I recall)

Oh absolutely. Kasumi's the best part of Ninninger and she deserved a better series. Honestly, the entire Ninninger cast is pretty good except Takaharu - sadly, the series is the Takaharu show like Kyoryuger was the Daigo show, but somehow even moreso, considering how whenever Takaharu isn't on screen, everyone else does actually ask "where's Takaharu?"

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

Oh absolutely. Kasumi's the best part of Ninninger and she deserved a better series. Honestly, the entire Ninninger cast is pretty good except Takaharu - sadly, the series is the Takaharu show like Kyoryuger was the Daigo show, but somehow even moreso, considering how whenever Takaharu isn't on screen, everyone else does actually ask "where's Takaharu?"

I didn’t mind it so much in Kyoryuger as Daigo was actually a fun character who never thought of his team as any less than he was, whereas Takaharu not only rushes in on his own numerous times but is often actually REWARDED for his selfish behavior.

I also find it funny that despite being canonically born in America Kinji’s Japanese is better than his English.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Larryb posted:

Kasumi was the start of a line of incredibly good Pink/White continuing to this day in the Sentai half of things, and depending on my mood shares top spot with Tsukasa from Patranger.

Larryb posted:

I also find it funny that despite being canonically born in America Kinji's Japanese is better than his English.

As disappointed as I was hearing Kinji's actual English compared to his backstory, I don't think I'd have traded a fluent accent for the hilariously bizarre way he screams "WHAT?!" Dude owns, he tries so hard to save his show.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Oh he’s a good character (as mentioned most of the main Ninninger cast is decent except for Takaharu himself), I just found it funny that they didn’t even try to cast someone who could speak fluent English for the role (they did it in Kakuranger after all)

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I really enjoyed Kinji. He was charming and fun, and the goddamn Burger Changer. He was great as Shinobi in Zi-O, too.

Holding out hope that we do in fact get that show next year. They put a ton of effort into Shinobi's Rider Time special, and it would be hilarious to canonify that with a legit show (especially if they actually use those episodes' scripts)

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Holding out hope that we do in fact get that show next year. They put a ton of effort into Shinobi's Rider Time special, and it would be hilarious to canonify that with a legit show (especially if they actually use those episodes' scripts)

I would absolutely love for this to happen as well but my only concern they won't is from the cannibalizing of previous shows' suits to make the Shinobi ones and the belts being Zi-O retools. They could always be redesigned from the ground up, though, who knows.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In regards to Dino Fury, I like that Green and Black are still siblings like they were in the Sentai. Out of curiosity, do we know anything about Gold yet?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Shaezerus posted:

Kasumi was the start of a line of incredibly good Pink/White continuing to this day in the Sentai half of things, and depending on my mood shares top spot with Tsukasa from Patranger.

Amu, Raptor (much as the show pushed her hard into the background), Tsukasa, Asuna (who had the best Ryusoulger episode to herself imo), Sayo and now Magine. I agree wholeheartedly.

Larryb posted:

Oh he’s a good character (as mentioned most of the main Ninninger cast is decent except for Takaharu himself), I just found it funny that they didn’t even try to cast someone who could speak fluent English for the role (they did it in Kakuranger after all)

Finding a Japanese person born outside of Japan with perfect grasp of English is probably not super easy, I imagine Kane Kosugi was not something that they were able to easily repeat. Though then again, currently airing Kamen Rider Saber is full of mixed-blood or foreign-born actors, with at least one (Robin Furuya) having a perfect grasp of English.

Larryb posted:

In regards to Dino Fury, I like that Green and Black are still siblings like they were in the Sentai. Out of curiosity, do we know anything about Gold yet?

I think more than "he exists" and whatever comes from the Sentai, not at all.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fun Fact: Kane actually had to relearn Japanese during his time on the show (hence why early on he seemed to speak English more often than not). Also the guy he fights during the episodes leading to Jiraiya getting the Frog Zord was played by Kane Kosugi’s actual father.

Also the Gold Ranger is apparently going to be played by this guy:

https://www.instagram.com/jt.fite/

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 23, 2021

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Wow, it never occurred to me until just now that they've never had two black rangers on a single team.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I may be cynical, but I also don’t think it’s a reach, that gold will also be whatever alien race that red is

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also I’m hoping that whoever he is he winds up being nothing like his Sentai counterpart.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Canalo was a snobby, flirty, penny-pinching jerk... so a humble, asexual, anti-money nice guy?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Larryb posted:

PRNS's pink was played by a ridiculously hot fitness model who, uh, really fills out the uniform.... Okay look, she takes a lot of pictures working out and wearing bikinis, I'm not going to pretend that she doesn't deliberately intend to show off her body.

As a character, they wanted to also make her the Billy style genius, though it results in the kind of ridiculous plot gaps that you saw all over MMPR but even writ larger. In one episode she made a machine that turned waste (like, literally garbage) into cookies that are both delicious and also nutritious. And while the sideplot kinda involves someone less fortunate stealing this thing and being chased down and Sarah being nice enough to share it with them, it's completely passed over that she solved world hunger for her high school science project. It's not even recognized this invention has implications for the world beyond the city park on the weekends, because kids show.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Craptacular! posted:

PRNS's pink was played by a ridiculously hot fitness model who, uh, really fills out the uniform.... Okay look, she takes a lot of pictures working out and wearing bikinis, I'm not going to pretend that she doesn't deliberately intend to show off her body.

As a character, they wanted to also make her the Billy style genius, though it results in the kind of ridiculous plot gaps that you saw all over MMPR but even writ larger. In one episode she made a machine that turned waste (like, literally garbage) into cookies that are both delicious and also nutritious. And while the sideplot kinda involves someone less fortunate stealing this thing and being chased down and Sarah being nice enough to share it with them, it's completely passed over that she solved world hunger for her high school science project. It's not even recognized this invention has implications for the world beyond the city park on the weekends, because kids show.

Power Rangers in general seems like a franchise where world hunger doesn't exist anyway.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Craptacular! posted:

Going off the actors' Instagrams makes me wish they were in better PR series. Megaforce Yellow's actress Ciara Hanna seems really fun and charismatic and it's just a shame she was in Megaforce. (Also she just had a baby, so congrats to her for that.)

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Hunter Deno (Amelia) did the Ryusoulger ending dance on her TikTok... or Insta? not sure

point is, I'm pretty sure she's going to end up being the best thing in PR for a long time

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Going off the actors' Instagrams makes me wish they were in better PR series. Megaforce Yellow's actress Ciara Hanna seems really fun and charismatic and it's just a shame she was in Megaforce. (Also she just had a baby, so congrats to her for that.)

She was honestly the best thing about Megaforce to be honest, I just wish she got a chance to be in a better show.

Hell, even Troy’s actor is much more personable outside the show than his performance in Megaforce would suggest.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Imagine how much better Megaforce could have been if they had just stuck to adapting Gokaiger instead of jamming two totally different seasons together. I mean it would still suck but less so.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

JT Smiley posted:

Imagine how much better Megaforce could have been if they had just stuck to adapting Gokaiger instead of jamming two totally different seasons together. I mean it would still suck but less so.

Adapting Gokaiger during the twentieth anniversary of the American franchise, no less.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

Larryb posted:

Hell, even Troy’s actor is much more personable outside the show than his performance in Megaforce would suggest.

That one scene of Troy legit goofing off and showing his actor actually can emote, suggesting the entire rest of the time he was just directed like poo poo. Which if I remember was confirmed in some interview somewhere?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Shaezerus posted:

That one scene of Troy legit goofing off and showing his actor actually can emote, suggesting the entire rest of the time he was just directed like poo poo. Which if I remember was confirmed in some interview somewhere?

Pretty sure that was the case, yeah. Otherwise Troy was arguably more robotic than the actual robots on that show.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 23, 2021

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wasn't Megaforce peak 'studio mandate' PR? Like they had to use as much Sentai footage as possible even if it didn't make sense, always had to be talking, etc?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Wasn't Megaforce peak 'studio mandate' PR? Like they had to use as much Sentai footage as possible even if it didn't make sense, always had to be talking, etc?

Even more than Samurai was to be honest (and that was mostly just a watered down version of the Sentai), to the point where the show never really even had a coherent plot (or an ending for that matter, after the final battle in Super Megaforce the rangers just leave and that’s it).

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Megaforce manages to be everything and nothing at all. Like the show is so rushed that the first half is just episode of new weapons and powers and all that gets thrown in the trash by the second half. They didn't even bother coming up with a reason why they just had more powerful suits and weapons just collecting dust the entire time.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Can't figure out how to embed the mobile link in a post but thus is the episode five preview

https://youtu.be/SA-Pvl_EEXQ

Some decently acted character stuff

Apparently they have a Special Olympian playing Izzy's cousin in this episode which is really cool

Homora Gaykemi fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Mar 25, 2021

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The first fight scene in this episode in some random NZ park had a very MMPR season 2 energy. It looked kind of weird. It almost looked like it was filmed in 8 different framerate then the rest of the episode too.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Homora Gaykemi posted:

Can't figure out how to embed the mobile link in a post but thus is the episode five preview

https://youtu.be/SA-Pvl_EEXQ

Some decently acted character stuff

Apparently they have a Special Olympian playing Izzy's cousin in this episode which is really cool

This was very very nice

This whole episode is really charming

I'm really enjoying Dino Fury so far, morph sequence and theme song notwithstanding

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Sockser posted:

This was very very nice

This whole episode is really charming

I'm really enjoying Dino Fury so far, morph sequence and theme song notwithstanding

Wasn't the strongest episode we've had so far but yeah, I thought it was nice. Definitely handled the message and inclusion 100x better than I'd expect a show wouldve when I was in the target audience, while also progressing the larger toy marketing story

As long as they cut the morphing sequence down in an episode or two I'm fine with it, I assume it's just been so long since we're still building the team together but if they're still doing it like this later on it'll be bad yeah

The tragedy of the theme song is that the episode bgm has been really good and you can hear some of the same style in the opening instrumentation but then it has the whole GGPR thing smothering it

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I mean I wouldn't mean one more long version when Gold joins

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't think the long morph is going anywhere. It's something repeatable and imitable, like a TikTok dance

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fun Fact: Lily in the most recent Dino Fury episode was played by a real Special Olympics athlete named Sarah Dalton

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Larryb posted:

Fun Fact: Lily in the most recent Dino Fury episode was played by a real Special Olympics athlete named Sarah Dalton

Cool cool coolio.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I don't know how I feel about the latest comic, the one where the Omega Rangers are re-enacting those Transformers comics aboard the Lost Light.

Having the SPD exist before Lost Galaxy is not something I'm a fan of. Having them be good guy buddies with Zordon is something I'm not sure about. Of course we've had SPD-adjacent characters in the Mighty Morphin timeframe already, with Zedd hiring someone from the commander's species, but SPD as an organization seemed like a very post-Countdown idea, after Zordon wiped out all of Dark Specter's forces and the not-evil aliens could travel through space and hobnob with Earthlings. That the space cops exist off-screen through the whole Dark Specter plot, or while Master Vile controls an entire galaxy, or while the Machine Empire looked like a threat to a bunch of the universe. To say nothing about the war between Zordon and just Rita alone which supposedly raged for millennia. Something just doesn't sit right with that.

But then again, this comic doesn't seem to realize that Astronema should be a pre-teen during Mighty Morphin season 2 so what do I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Craptacular! posted:

I don't know how I feel about the latest comic, the one where the Omega Rangers are re-enacting those Transformers comics aboard the Lost Light.

Having the SPD exist before Lost Galaxy is not something I'm a fan of. Having them be good guy buddies with Zordon is something I'm not sure about. Of course we've had SPD-adjacent characters in the Mighty Morphin timeframe already, with Zedd hiring someone from the commander's species, but SPD as an organization seemed like a very post-Countdown idea, after Zordon wiped out all of Dark Specter's forces and the not-evil aliens could travel through space and hobnob with Earthlings. That the space cops exist off-screen through the whole Dark Specter plot, or while Master Vile controls an entire galaxy, or while the Machine Empire looked like a threat to a bunch of the universe. To say nothing about the war between Zordon and just Rita alone which supposedly raged for millennia. Something just doesn't sit right with that.

But then again, this comic doesn't seem to realize that Astronema should be a pre-teen during Mighty Morphin season 2 so what do I know.

Anything that involves the past and the greater timeline of PR is

Not great in the comics. Which, yeah, consistency in PR but its way worse about it than the show itself. Which is weird.