Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

AlbieQuirky posted:

Interested to know what you’re describing with this. Cornmeal mush/grits (which is basically polenta) or creamed corn?

Also curious, I can't say I've ever seen anything I'd describe as "mushy corn". I guess the corn you get in lovely TV dinners has kind of a weird mushy texture? But that's not a dish, it's just lovely corn.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/JensenKarp/status/1374417298669195273?s=20

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

AlbieQuirky posted:

Interested to know what you’re describing with this. Cornmeal mush/grits (which is basically polenta) or creamed corn?

Yes

I was just using the same adjective from mushy peas to draw a comparison between the different foodstuffs to show how grits or creamed corn could also very easily be seen as unappetising if you just focused on the fact they're a vaguely liquefied vegetable

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Butterfly Valley posted:

Yes

I was just using the same adjective from mushy peas to draw a comparison between the different foodstuffs to show how grits or creamed corn could also very easily be seen as unappetising if you just focused on the fact they're a vaguely liquefied vegetable

Sure, except you neglected to account for the fact that foods from my culture are normal and good, while foods from other cultures (like yours) are weird and gross.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Also mushy peas are fine. Nothing exciting because, you know, they're peas. But they're fine.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

add some fat like that bulletproof fad from a few years ago and you'll get a beautiful coffee emulsion that will cling to bucatini

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

Oh god the cooked steak coming out of the grinder... :ohdear:

I had an A5 wagyuu steak a couple of years ago and it started melting the second it was out of the fridge, it really is that fatty.

I actually didn't enjoy it all that much if I'm being honest, it was so fatty it didn't taste great cooked rare, and it was just too much. I think a much smaller portion cooked by someone who really knew what they were doing would have been better.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Add wagyu to the list with picnics, champagne, lobster, and anal sex.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Butterfly Valley posted:

Okay, but mushy peas are literally called “mushy peas” so I’m not sure the thought experiment was ideal?

I don’t like mint in peas of any kind, so that’s the source of my lack of interest in mushy peas rather than the texture :shrug:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No one puts mint in mushy peas, or if they do I hope they're ashamed of themselves

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

rydiafan posted:

Lobster is good.

Caviar is eh, truffles too.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Otana posted:

Oh god the cooked steak coming out of the grinder... :ohdear:

I had an A5 wagyuu steak a couple of years ago and it started melting the second it was out of the fridge, it really is that fatty.

I actually didn't enjoy it all that much if I'm being honest, it was so fatty it didn't taste great cooked rare, and it was just too much. I think a much smaller portion cooked by someone who really knew what they were doing would have been better.

This is why they give you only small portions in japan.

Don't eat a whole-rear end wagyu steak.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the key is:

1. 4-6oz portion
2. medium or medium well

use a thermometer, poo poo costs as much as silver per oz

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

AlbieQuirky posted:

Okay, but mushy peas are literally called “mushy peas” so I’m not sure the thought experiment was ideal?

I don’t like mint in peas of any kind, so that’s the source of my lack of interest in mushy peas rather than the texture :shrug:

Creamed corn is called "creamed corn". It could just as easily have been called "mushy corn".

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/ItalianComments/status/1374480518444556297?s=20

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Who was the goon that posted about a rat being inside some bulk can and the manufacturer telling them to send it in for testing and they never hear from them about it again?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

MariusLecter posted:

Who was the goon that posted about a rat being inside some bulk can and the manufacturer telling them to send it in for testing and they never hear from them about it again?

I don't know, but it seems to be standard operating procedure. My mom found a rat in a can of planter's peanut oil in 1974, after using half the can. They had her send in the can "for analysis" and then they refused to tell her or our doctor what that analysis said.

Don't give your only sample back to the company, folks.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
What are you gonna do, cut the rat in half? Now you've ruined a good kitchen knife and you're going to mentally scar whoever cleans out the freezer next.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

rydiafan posted:

Add it to the list of wonderful and delightful things?

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Butterfly Valley posted:

Yes

I don't know what creamed corn is but corn (meh) and cream (yay) doesn't sound like a terrible combo. Mushy as an adjective isn't appealing. If I made a dish for someone and asked them what they thought and they replied "It was very mushy" I wouldn't take that as a compliment. It would be equally precise to describe it as pea sludge, but again sludge isn't a word I want to be associated with anything I'm eating.

I like marrowfat peas. If I'm making a batch of vegetable/chicken broth I'll throw in some dried marrowfat peas as they soften just enough during cooking to provide texture and bite. I've no desire to eat them mushified and reduced to the texture of baby food, but that's just me. I don't like mashed potato for the same reasons.

Also the dried marrowfat peas that constitute mushy peas are beige. Chip shop mushy peas are pumped full of artificial colourings to convince Brits that they're eating at least one green thing.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
we don't really have those kind of peas in the states so it's an unfamiliar sight and i guess people like to make fun of things that seem weird to them. we have our own version of this kind of thing. i have personally devastated a can of this stuff after mixing it with rice, garnish with hot sauce.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/JUC7xlV.mp4

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

I don't know what creamed corn is but corn (meh) and cream (yay) doesn't sound like a terrible combo

no it's literally pulped corn kernels cooked until mushy

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Wow that robot cuts bread as well as I do. Good thing I'm not a bread slicer or I might be out of a job.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Not too far off from what I usually produce trying to slice a loaf of bread evenly. Especially the slices that are normal on top and razor thin at the bottom.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
i will gladly say creamed corn is gross. in fact I post bad American food all the time. I don't think we need to re-litigate every time someone posts gross looking/sounding food from the UK. just lol along at how your food comes across like the rest of us do :shrug:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
One can creamed corn one can drained sweet corn, mix, add a tablespoon more butter, microwave. My corn holiday meal secret forbidden pleasure.

Feel free to add commas and dashes to the last sentence to describe what you really think about my corn.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's real gross when something that's not supposed to be there winds up in the food supply chain, but it happens.

https://freakonomics.com/podcast/freakonomics-radio-a-mouse-in-the-salad-whats-the-worst-restaurant-experience-youve-ever-had/

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Aardvark! posted:

i will gladly say creamed corn is gross. in fact I post bad American food all the time. I don't think we need to re-litigate every time someone posts gross looking/sounding food from the UK. just lol along at how your food comes across like the rest of us do :shrug:

Every country has its share of AFP; nobody is exempt, but UK food does seem to get shat upon somewhat.

I've had cow-orkers come here from Houston, Texas who were genuinely impressed that our burgers tasted like steak because they're made from ground steak. But I've had teammates from India come here appalled at what passes for Indian takeout here.

The world is an amazing place full of people making food in both the best and worst ways possible.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

Every country has its share of AFP; nobody is exempt, but UK food does seem to get shat upon somewhat.

I've had cow-orkers come here from Houston, Texas who were genuinely impressed that our burgers tasted like steak because they're made from ground steak. But I've had teammates from India come here appalled at what passes for Indian takeout here.

The world is an amazing place full of people making food in both the best and worst ways possible.

absolutely. And I'm sorry on behalf of My Fellow Americans :patriot: if it comes across as making GBS threads on the UK more than it deserves. I would legitimately love to go to the UK and try all of it, down to the wigan kabob and smack barm pey wet. I am positive there's loads of delicious stuff, including the stuff that looks gross.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
one day i hope to utterly destroy a munchy box and chase it with a bottle of buckfast.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Mint and peas go together nicely, I think. You can make a very nice minted spring pea soup with cream.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The pey wet really does sound vile though tbh, and I quite like mushy peas, but I never wanted to see what happens if you drain the water off them and then pour it on bread.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Home made creamed corn from fresh picked corn is delicious and it's a great way to preserve extra garden corn in the freezer.

The canned poo poo is not as good, and store-brand canned creamed corn is vile.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/jbee6T6.mp4

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

lmao

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I mean, I wouldn't turn down a hot tub hot dog. I've eaten them in grosser forms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

https://twitter.com/MythicalChef/status/1374494859097120779