Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
I should have thought this poll through better
Crimes?
Crimes!
[pounds table]
CRIMES! CRIMES! CRIMES!
shoot visari
View Results

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Socks are just little towels you wear on your feet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
socks are taco shells for your feet

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
A vest is just a taco for your torso.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhrNTNjJCe0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8w_ear4cvxc

Mission 4A – Last Line of Defense, October 30th, 2020

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Jobbo_Fett posted:

A store called Feet where they only sell Gloves

"Or like, even worse, a sexy clown"

should have been followed up with

"again, isn't that Grimes, though?"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

sb hermit posted:

"Or like, even worse, a sexy clown"

should have been followed up with

"again, isn't that Grimes, though?"

I had the thought myself and am kicking myself for just letting it slip by.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Look this is why Crow doesn't let me in on commentary. It would be too good.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilpd6neKqeU

Mission 5A – Rolling Thunder, October 30th, 2020

Guest Commentator: I am joined for the redo versions of Mission 5A and 5B by my old buddy Blastinus. Blast, for reasons beyond my ken, decided to screenshot LP Ace Combat Advanced completely blind as a side hustle to the Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies LP, so he is an inescapable part of this LP canon just as much as anyone else. Blast is currently LPing the entire Half-Life game anthology, having completed both Black Mesa (in lieu of the original Half-Life) and Blue Shift at the time of this posting, and is currently working on Opposing Force before moving onto Decay, and eventually Half-Life 2 and its Episode follow ups.

He is filling in for Dr. Snark (who is very much alive at the time of this writing, thank you for your concern) for these videos because when I sent the contact requests out to get the band back together for the redo, I'd forgotten that Snark was only available for contact by a certain platform, which I had completely forgot had a social media component to it.

When asked about doing a third run at 5A and 5B just for consistency's sake, Snark replied that he was in this LP enough already. Fear not, he--and Blast--will be back in Ace Combat 7 later this year.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Mar 25, 2021

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

don't believe his lies

the past videos were suppressed because I had the gall to tell the truth about the menace that is Garuda 1

the truth will never be silenced

(In all seriousness what Crow said re: my availability and willingness to step aside is 100% accurate and almost directly quoted from a conversation I had with him just to be clear. Figured I'd at least vouch for the accuracy!)

Dr. Snark fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 25, 2021

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
lol well i look forward to more videos with you as cohost. (and blast--all the cohosts on these LPs have been rock solid)

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

The classic Genesis game Herzog Zwei is "Command and Conquer, but the mouse pointer is replaced with a jet that turns into a giant robot".

Buildings are already built for each map, but you build vehicles to attack the enemy base and soldiers to occupy buildings. The goal is to destroy the enemy base. It's quite fun and a fond memory of my childhood. As a jet, you can help ferry units around much faster than having them bumble about on their own.

Anyways, that game is what I was reminded about when y'all mentioned city building from a cockpit.

also, donald trump is a complete idiot

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

sb hermit posted:

The classic Genesis game Herzog Zwei is "Command and Conquer, but the mouse pointer is replaced with a jet that turns into a giant robot".

Buildings are already built for each map, but you build vehicles to attack the enemy base and soldiers to occupy buildings. The goal is to destroy the enemy base. It's quite fun and a fond memory of my childhood. As a jet, you can help ferry units around much faster than having them bumble about on their own.

Anyways, that game is what I was reminded about when y'all mentioned city building from a cockpit.

Okay, now that is really frickin cool. God, there were a lot of really neat experimental games on the Genesis and SNES and a lot of them just passed me right by because I was focused on like Sonic and Mario and whatever I could rent for a few days from the video store that struck my fancy with its cover and then quickly bored the poo poo out of me because I sucked at video games back then.

But yeah, god, this would have been right up my alley as a kid with its Macross/Tekkaman style cover art.

E: Great, now I've fallen down a late night Tekkaman YouTube rabbit hole and have rediscovered how much Masquerade absolutely slaps.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Mar 25, 2021

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sally posted:

lol well i look forward to more videos with you as cohost. (and blast--all the cohosts on these LPs have been rock solid)

Look forward as well to video 7 where Crow and I talk about airline food because I finally finished my Helghast rations

edit: I love this LP. I love the weird political thriller world of Ace Combat, it's like Tom Clancy has an alt-universe counterpart in Strangereal named Tim Cancyl and he writes the plot of these games.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Mar 25, 2021

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

sb hermit posted:

Herzog Zwei goddamn ruled. And if I recall, it was a big inspiration for other RTSes when the genre was getting started.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

There is some irony to the fact that the genre that plays the worst on a console had its roots there. :v:

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Fun fact, there's a spiritual sequel series toHerzog Zwei, called Airmech, which comes in MoBA and action RPG forms.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
For the record, I still have no idea how a shockwave gun works vis-a-vis aircraft and I'm still on the side of these planes being powered by magic. And nothing that Crow's showed me about the series has dissuaded me from that notion.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blastinus posted:

For the record, I still have no idea how a shockwave gun works vis-a-vis aircraft and I'm still on the side of these planes being powered by magic. And nothing that Crow's showed me about the series has dissuaded me from that notion.

Ace Combat’s relationship with science has always been something akin to that scene from Despicable Me 2 where Gru and Lucy fall in love by comically abusing what it for all intents and purposes Kristen Schaal’s corpse. In this analogy, Gru and Lucy are Ace Combat, and Kristen Schaal’s corpse is science.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

ace combat's relationship with science and realism is like a relationship with one's deadbeat father; it's there at the start, but halfway through it leaves and is never seen again.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gBjMJ4QCYU

Mission 6A – The Midnight Sun, November 1st, 2020

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I'll admit I've considered redoing the HAWK LPs. Mostly because my soundtrack choices doesn't really work, and it's subtitled, and some of my commentary is honestly... pretty bad.
Not to mention the Halo ones considering 3 is available for PC now, but I feel others have that handled nowadays.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i swear... one of these days... there WILL be a Shadows of the Empire remastered LP.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I'll believe it when I see it in my inbox.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Blastinus posted:

Depends on the shockwave. Most likely just trying to slam them with enough g in a non-standard direction to gently caress up the soft creamy core. Like super extreme turbulence.

How to build that hypothetical weapon that has a lower vertical cut off but seemingly no upper or lateral... magic is a good option.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
It is a strange, real world after all

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

goatface posted:

Depends on the shockwave. Most likely just trying to slam them with enough g in a non-standard direction to gently caress up the soft creamy core. Like super extreme turbulence.

How to build that hypothetical weapon that has a lower vertical cut off but seemingly no upper or lateral... magic is a good option.
And of course trying to generate this shockwave using a warhead that can be launched in a package that isn't the size of a building requires a power source that involves the n-word, but doesn't produce any fallout or even a noticeable explosion besides the shockwave is...well, magical.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They might have an infestation of wizards.

Or maybe their universe's gremlins on the wings are gnomes who upgrade your poo poo rather than damaging it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Angry_Ed posted:

It is a strange, real world after all

You.

Are a guardian.

This.

Is your Density.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
"I just can't handle all these shadows of the empire!!"

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

CJacobs posted:

You.

Are a guardian.

This.

Is your Density.

wait are we doing bit? i cant tell if we are doing a bit. i misread that as "Destiny". crow? crow!?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://clips.twitch.tv/AmusedClearSnoodPoooound

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
ooooh ok so "Density" was a typo : p

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Only 2 Ace Combat games do title drops in dialog.

The Unsung War does it with a mission title. No other game has had the balls to do even that.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
"There's only one way we win this, Colonel Bishop... We have to assault the horizon."

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
"Altman be praised, Carver, get a load of all this Dead Space 3TM."

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well Farah I guess I really was the Prince of Persia after all

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
It’s time for Lightning to return, Final Fantasy XIII.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Lavos' arrival was the... Cron... uh, Trag... that destabilized time and space as we know it

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Something Awful vs. the Nissan Altima* - Let’s Play Ace Combat X: Shitposts of Distraction

* Or whatever model of Nissan that Lowtax was leasing using SA as a slush fund for it, I don’t really give a poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
We can't be spending good posts on the stuff we've already seen. That would be inefficient as a giant version of Wonder Woman's jet that can be defeated by a single 4th gen fighter equipped with magical missile replicators.