Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Scrimps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

One of my favorite things about travelling in the UK is the abundance of pubs where for £10 you can get a decent meal and a pint. Usually fish, burgers, various sandwiches, a massive amount of brown things, or disgusting gammon steak, but almost always with your choice of some form of potatoes and peas as a side, mushy or fresh a nice pile of peas is great when you're traveling and not getting as many vegetables as you're used to.

E:

Sit down, use the Wifi, maybe have another pint and a couple ludicrously tiny and well metered shots of whiskey. It's a great break, and most of those places won't hassle you out like they would in the US, it's like coffee shops here with an actual meal and booze.

Elviscat has a new favorite as of 02:58 on Mar 24, 2021

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Fresh peas are delicious and I don’t get enough of em

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I bought some marrowpeas a couple months ago with the intention of trying real mushy peas. If any UK posters want to chime in with a Really Good Recipe I figure it's about time to tackle them.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Good news, I just came here to post this recipe with an absurdly long introduction, in the style of "after the events of 9/11"

Do you want a full virtual tour of a North English town prior to your recipe for authentic mushy peas?

Well you're in luck!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Elviscat posted:

a massive amount of brown things,

I would probably kill for a pub mixed grill about now

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

I would probably kill for a pub mixed grill about now

Dreaming of the 750g wood grilled rump steak I had in Burnie, Tasmania when I was there in 2019

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Oh, how could I forget the staple of British cuisine, a "curry" that's just beef stew with a bottle of curry powder dumped in? Doesn't taste terrible, does not taste like Indian or Thai curries.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Elviscat posted:

Oh, how could I forget the staple of British cuisine, a "curry" that's just beef stew with a bottle of curry powder dumped in? Doesn't taste terrible, does not taste like Indian or Thai curries.

:ok:

Did you have a problem you'd like to explain to the class about people using things differently or is this just being mad about things. There's a lot to be potentially mad about, colonization, appropriation, etc. but you're just kind of hanging a wet sock out of the window here.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Post poo poo from your own country that is probably gross to others. GO

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
no curry rules.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Perfectly square is the only way cheese should really exist.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Those fries look like the pictures of rocks made to look like food

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
How is the bun that wet when it wasn't in an enclosed package?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

angerbeet posted:

:ok:

Did you have a problem you'd like to explain to the class about people using things differently or is this just being mad about things. There's a lot to be potentially mad about, colonization, appropriation, etc. but you're just kind of hanging a wet sock out of the window here.

Ah yes, "doesn't taste terrible" the most scathing of insults towards British Cuisine, that I was only able to dream up after hours of rage-intensified introspection.

E: I was directing all my internalized criticism and rage at the British colonization of India, and the follow-on issues it's caused, like the ongoing conflict in Kashmir, at that first post where I said that the ubiquitous British pub fair known as curry was just ok, and surprising to someone who grew up with Thai and Indian dishes being synonymous with the term "Curry." I offer my deepest apologies.

Elviscat has a new favorite as of 05:00 on Mar 24, 2021

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Schubalts posted:

If you bake things coated in butter they become forever moist and shiny.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Schubalts posted:

That's a good question. Unrelated, how do you feel about down home cookery?

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Elviscat posted:

Ah yes, "doesn't taste terrible" the most scathing of insults towards British Cuisine, that I was only able to dream up after hours of rage-intensified introspection.

Interpretation can taste nice without regard to the initial intention of the original dish. Curry chips is obviously not an original imitation of aloo matar.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

angerbeet posted:

Interpretation can taste nice without regard to the initial intention of the original dish. Curry chips is obviously not an original imitation of aloo matar.

:psyduck:

You are reading so much into that post.

Here is a delicious dish that was made through cultural fusion, Seattle-style Teriyaki, nothing like the original Japanese dish, but full of savory, sweet, and umami flavors it's one of my favorite things in the world. It's hard to find a "proper" rendition outside the US's West Coast.

Always served with the same, sad side salad, mostly iceberg lettuce with a hint of cabbage and carrot shredded on top, in a nice ginger dressing.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Elviscat posted:

Here is a delicious dish that was made through cultural fusion, Seattle-style Teriyaki, nothing like the original Japanese dish, but full of savory, sweet, and umami flavors it's one of my favorite things in the world. It's hard to find a "proper" rendition outside the US's West Coast.

Always served with the same, sad side salad, mostly iceberg lettuce with a hint of cabbage and carrot shredded on top, in a nice ginger dressing.

as a resident of the greater Seattle area, I live off of this, because it's impossible to throw a rock and not have it bounce off of 5-6 teriyaki places

My favorite is a place in Kirkland WA (Izumi) that's actually a sushi / Japanese restaurant, but they do a salmon teriyaki that is beyond words. Just thinking about it and I'm drooling, it's ridiculously good.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I can appreciate good sweet/savory combos, but teriyaki is almost uniformly way too far into sweet territory for me.

Also, even though my Mom's English I do not believe I have ever had mushy peas. Mint is good in peas, and she just about always throws a sprig of fresh mint in with the peas or red/white/new potatoes and it works well. She has a poo poo-ton of mint growing in planters on the back deck, so it's kind of easy and always completely fresh.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

:colbert:

Given the way the bowl kept dripping after all the dogs were out, the most offensive thing about this could be that the hot dogs were boiled in advance.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Haifisch posted:

Kids love the taste of cinnamon coated small pastries.

https://twitter.com/JensenKarp/status/1374051365417230336

Scarodactyl has a new favorite as of 07:19 on Mar 24, 2021

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Elviscat posted:

Wait until you learn about the Italians and how they use tomatoes, then you'll really freak out!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

uber_stoat posted:

we don't really have those kind of peas in the states so it's an unfamiliar sight and i guess people like to make fun of things that seem weird to them. we have our own version of this kind of thing. i have personally devastated a can of this stuff after mixing it with rice, garnish with hot sauce.

Refried beans are a similar concept, yet far, far superior to mushy peas.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Underwater Shoe
May 26, 2005

an informative notation for your appreciation

Elviscat posted:

Good news, I just came here to post this recipe with an absurdly long introduction, in the style of "after the events of 9/11"

Do you want a full virtual tour of a North English town prior to your recipe for authentic mushy peas?

Well you're in luck!

I’m pleasantly surprised that this recipe is correct! But you don’t have to take your peas that far, to the almost pea purée stage. You can also cook them until they’re just tender and falling apart, but still mostly whole in a soup of their own juices. Both are correct, the latter is the version that you can get pea wet from.

Do. Not. Add. Mint.

Refried beans (known as mushy beans from hereon) are also great.

Textural differences are good and exciting, that’s why mashed potatoes and pumpkin/celeriac/cauliflower purées exist in fancy cooking.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Underwater Shoe posted:

Refried beans (known as mushy beans from hereon) are also great.

Those things are my jam. Take some box mac and cheese, dump some refried beans in, eat with ketchup :yum:

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Ziv Zulander posted:

Those things are my jam. Take some box mac and cheese, dump some refried beans in, eat with ketchup :yum:
what the gently caress?

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

FFT posted:

what the gently caress?

Learned it from a friend of mine who lives in the frozen north, apparently it’s poor people Canadian food. It’s good though. Swap out ketchup for hot sauce if desired

I mean, think about it. People eat tuna mac, people eat hamburger mac, what’s so weird about beany mac?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Ziv Zulander posted:

Learned it from a friend of mine who lives in the frozen north, apparently it’s poor people Canadian food. It’s good though. Swap out ketchup for hot sauce if desired

I mean, think about it. People eat tuna mac, people eat hamburger mac, what’s so weird about beany mac?
Hot sauce, fine, but ketchup!?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Aardvark! posted:

That's a good question. Unrelated, how do you feel about down home cookery?

Is he cooking it over boiling roof tar?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Elviscat posted:

Goddamn, it's been 18 years since I moved away, and now I really want some :(

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

FFT posted:

Hot sauce, fine, but ketchup!?

Literally all Canadians put ketchup on their mac and cheese. I think it's a law.

On the other hand, my wife, who is not canadian, puts make syrup on it. Makes me contemplate divorce every time.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ziv Zulander posted:

I make white people tacos occasionaly (y'know, like the old el paso taco kits, except I use a local store brand) and the next day I like putting the leftover taco meat in kd

I call it fusion cuisine, cause it's a tacomac

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Phy posted:

I make white people tacos occasionaly (y'know, like the old el paso taco kits, except I use a local store brand) and the next day I like putting the leftover taco meat in kd

I call it fusion cuisine, cause it's a tacomac

The food and the pun are both terrible, but I appreciate the pun a lot more than the food.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/mechalink/status/1374762014816473090

The OG Jello Shots?!

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

rainbow jello shots where every layer is a different alcohol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

boar guy posted:

rainbow jello shots where every layer is a different alcohol
Taste the rainbow!

The rainbow is made from various Boone's Farm flavors.