Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

bewbies posted:

lol @ the NHL and fans clutching at their pearls over this. literally every referee/ump/official/whatever in every sport and at every level does exactly the same thing either consciously or subconsiously.

but yeah, lets make an example of that guy

Tim Peel does in fact suck though one less poo poo ref is ok with me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
I mean, gently caress Tim Peel though for real.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Better you than me, man

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
lol thats cool

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

rex rabidorum vires posted:

I'm cool with Tim Peel Tim Peel'ing himself. There's some kind of majesty in that. Of course the NHL will continue to ref an 'even' game, but whatever.

Refs: 80 & 20 are even numbers

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I feel like this is more about Tim Peel than the integrity of the game poo poo.

They were probably just looking for a reason to toss him (which is fine because he sucks rear end) because nothing there is out of the ordinary or especially egregious.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Apparently Tim Peel was already going to retire after the end of the 2020-21 season anyways though so this doesn't mean a whole lot

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Fixing a systemic issue by pinning it all on one guy, dusting off your hands and calling it resolved. A time honoured American tradition.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Slipped on his own Peel

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Cocaine Bear posted:

Slipped on his own Peel

Thread title

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

ThinkTank posted:

Fixing a systemic issue by pinning it all on one guy, dusting off your hands and calling it resolved. A time honoured American tradition.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Ginette Reno posted:

Tim Peel does in fact suck though one less poo poo ref is ok with me

i mean, fire a guy for being incompetent, but it is silly to fire a guy for doing exactly what everyone else is doing

up next, soccer fans horrified that refs call fouls differently when inside the penalty area, demand anthony taylor be offered as a sacrifice

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Mario is the all time record holder by far at bitching at the refs, the only way to slow him down was to trip him or grab on and ride him like a backpack and the refs didn't want to call 20 penalties a night so they mostly let it go. He would whine to the media about once a week all through the 80s/early 90s that he's probably gonna retire this summer because he's sick of all the uncalled hooking and slashing.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

bewbies posted:

up next, soccer fans horrified that refs call fouls differently when inside the penalty area, demand anthony taylor be offered as a sacrifice

I'm ok with this. Also Mike Dean....and Atkinson. Jon Moss as well tbh.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Guys I found the catch

https://twitter.com/JeffVeillette/status/1374720009516224513?s=19

He is retiring after this season, this is not a punishment, just early retirement leave.

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit

Ginette Reno posted:

Apparently Tim Peel was already going to retire after the end of the 2020-21 season anyways though so this doesn't mean a whole lot

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1374718406545575939?s=20

Yeah, so he gets a month off early. Not as big of a deal now.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ThinkTank posted:

A truly logical and intelligent person could determine that the NHL knew Tim was retiring and asked him to take this fall to make the league look good and get people off their back for a little while. :tinfoil:

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

He was supposed to retire last season but got injured and pushed it to this year. So basically gently caress you forever Tim Peel you tainted yourself.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

ThinkTank posted:

:hmmyes:

His mistake was a hot mike. This poo poo has always and will always happen.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/doomocrat/status/1374720103917498378

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I'd guess we'll see a few weeks of games having a legit penalty differential before it all goes back to the same garbage come playoffs.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I could maaayyybe see this playoffs having legit differentials but yeah I have a hard time imagining this won't be back by next season at the very latest. Those refs are hard-wired for poo poo like this and it's definitely going on at the AHL, ECHL and juniors level to various degrees too.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Firing a guy one month from retirement but refusing to change anything systematically wrong with they way they call penalties sounds about right for the NHL.

It’s ok if one team has way more PIMs than their opponent in any given game. The obsession with parity in this league sucks.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

WeaponX posted:

It’s ok if one team has way more PIMs than their opponent in any given game. The obsession with parity in this league sucks.

To us, sure. But the refs don't answer to us, they answer to the NHL which answers to the owners and if the owners start crabbing about their team of goons spending more time in the box than all the other teams you can be drat sure there's gonna be equalized penalties.

It all goes back to the ol boys club just like everything else.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The refs barely answer to the NHL either. The ref union shields them from almost all fuckups.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Do Chris Lee next NHL you cowards

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/junotheleafs/status/1374722679354257409

lmao

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I love the idea of pro sports having to come to terms publicly with what refs/officials/umps actually are: they're not judges. They're facilitators.

There's a by-the-book foul on practically every possession in a basketball game; holding on every football play; every contested ball in a soccer game results in a push or a shirt pull; baseball's strike zone changes significantly with each different count, etc etc. In hockey, there are by-the-book checks from behind, interference, and stick penalties more or less constantly. No one actually wants these games called by-the-book...they'd be unwatchable and unplayable.

The real ideal is fairness and consistency, which is always going to be fundamentally arbitrary. The problem is that the rulesets in pretty much all sports aren't set up for this sort of interpretation, so you basically have rulebooks that can't really ever be applied as they're written. My preference is that sports officiating should maximize my entertainment value above all else, which includes lots of bad calls, and then arguing about bad calls. And no more god dam loving replay.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Alex Burrows is a saint. Put him in the Hall of Fame.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://twitter.com/petejolicoeur/status/1374725199438999556?s=21

Holy poo poo :laugh:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

bewbies posted:

My preference is that sports officiating should maximize my entertainment value above all else, which includes lots of bad calls, and then arguing about bad calls. And no more god dam loving replay.

:same:

Scrutinizing video from a grainy low framerate camera pointed at the blueline in an attempt to take a goal off the board is unfun bullshit.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I hate video review of any sort of subjective penalty call. It makes no sense and I don't want the game called by robots. Yelling at the refs is part of the fun of sports and I don't want that taken from me. Video review for anything other than "did the puck cross the line?" sucks.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Aphrodite posted:

The refs barely answer to the NHL either. The ref union shields them from almost all fuckups.

The refs manage the games exactly as the league wants them to, which is exactly what TP did.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

I hate video review of any sort of subjective penalty call. It makes no sense and I don't want the game called by robots. Yelling at the refs is part of the fun of sports and I don't want that taken from me. Video review for anything other than "did the puck cross the line?" sucks.

Reviews suck rear end. I'm sick of goals being scored and then immediately you see three rear end in a top hat coaches hunched over the bench glaring at the monitor and seeing if they can get the goal overturned.

Also quite enjoy when an exciting OT goal is scored and then we have to watch replay for five minutes and take all of the air out of the moment as we wait to see if someone was offsides twenty minutes ago.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Peel wasn't fired. He just won't be assigned any games these last couple months before retirement.

The refs are calling games the way the league office wants them called.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The NHL's focus is on making sure that people think about the refs as little as possible and only act on bad reffing when it's impossible to ignore. The league has quietly let the number of penalties fall to an all time low because no call is less obvious than a bad one.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

Reviews suck rear end. I'm sick of goals being scored and then immediately you see three rear end in a top hat coaches hunched over the bench glaring at the monitor and seeing if they can get the goal overturned.

Also quite enjoy when an exciting OT goal is scored and then we have to watch replay for five minutes and take all of the air out of the moment as we wait to see if someone was offsides twenty minutes ago.

Why is there even video review where the sole outcome is overturning a goal?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
give me robot refs in all sports

yelling about refs gets tiring

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
The NHL also has quietly let interference creep back into the game so that players don't get concussed skating around unimpeded all the time.

It's not quite early 2000s levels but you can seriously run a lot of interference now without getting called. You have to be super blatant to get rung up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ginette Reno posted:

Have you tried following a team that doesn't cheat as much?