Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Bird in a Blender posted:

I'll be honest and say I don't pay attention to Women's ball (I didn't pay attention to Men's much either this year). Is this Women's tournament getting more competitive?

I have no idea at all, but I did see the Athletics main women's ball person saying this tournament doesn't really have an established frontrunner like it has for forever? As in there's not a Gonzaga this year for them where if they lose it's because they messed up, not because they weren't better than everyone.

I caught that A&M almost lost to a 15 seed yesterday and it took some sort of shady calls for them to get through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

MourningView posted:

She somehow was not Big Ten Player of the year and won't even win most national freshman of the year awards but Caitlin Clark is the best player in the country

https://twitter.com/rodger/status/1374455037674483718?s=19
Because Naz Hillmon exists

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Regnevelc posted:

Because Naz Hillmon exists

And is worse at basketball yes

Clark lead the country in scoring and was second in assists while shooting over 40% from three on 9 attempts a game. As a freshman

MourningView fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Mar 23, 2021

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
Michigan's women's team first sweet 16 in program history

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

https://twitter.com/VerbalCommits/status/1374469790572584962?s=19

Hopefully he leaves the SEC, dude was always killer against Arkansas, I do not want to have to play him any more lol

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Whew, well I hope he is awesome wherever he ends up. He was super awful when he was awful, which was...too often. He was also one of the better returning players and his game is generally fun. And raw talent-wise he's good.

I don't even know what the plan is for Mizzou next year.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Just sitting here thinking about how we ran off Quentin Grimes and could have used him to at least get humiliated less

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Bird in a Blender posted:

I'll be honest and say I don't pay attention to Women's ball (I didn't pay attention to Men's much either this year). Is this Women's tournament getting more competitive? For a long time, upsets weren't that common because of how stacked the top teams were, but I just saw #4 Arkansas lost to #13 Wright State, and #5 Gonzaga lost to #12 Belmont, so there's at least a few upsets this year.

The Clones are actually halfway decent on the Women's side at least.

The caliber of women's players continues to improve. Remember that in Oklahoma and Iowa, we're still on the first generation of five-on-five. We're barely two generations into five-on-five just about everywhere else, not to mention that many places dismissed women's basketball entirely until Title IX.

Change is still going to be slow as UConn still gets whoever it wants (with few exceptions) but the talent pool itself is growing fast.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

kiimo posted:

Just sitting here thinking about how we ran off Quentin Grimes and could have used him to at least get humiliated less

Bill self doesn't learn, he reloads

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://www.essentiallysports.com/n...s-this-weekend/

Well this loving sucks

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

drat, loving terrible.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

chaoslord posted:

https://twitter.com/VerbalCommits/status/1374469790572584962?s=19

Hopefully he leaves the SEC, dude was always killer against Arkansas, I do not want to have to play him any more lol

lmao Cuonzo Martin better grab a transfer who can score otherwise Mizzou is looking at another year where they probably won't even make the NIT.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
The Iowa/UConn women's matchup is gonna be insanely good.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

kiimo posted:

But boy does Houston appreciate it. 53 for 93 from 3 in his last 10 games, that's nuts.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Of course he totally rebuilt his shot and game and wouldn't have done that if he stayed at Kansas. He was kind of dogshit his freshman year and fans were frustrated with him because he had the attitude of a big time 5 star while very clearly needing to work on a lot of things. Good for Houston and good for Grimes to tear it down and build it up again.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
I think Houston can actually rid us of the curse of Syracuse, in theory at least a team that rebounds 40% of their own misses is a nightmare for the zone.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

Mike_V posted:

lmao Cuonzo Martin better grab a transfer who can score otherwise Mizzou is looking at another year where they probably won't even make the NIT.

They have two spots, maybe another, to fill with transfers. Cuonzo has done an alright job getting ones that fill their needs. Drew Buggs was nice to have on nights when Pinson was playing poorly. There are rumors about certain former big Mizzou targets (not just Cam Fletcher) transferring, so maybe they'll land one of them.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

LOL DUKE

That is all.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

chaoslord posted:

Potentially bad news!

https://twitter.com/Dave_Matter/status/1374764453141565441

This seems like a good place for him stylistically though. Playing for plodding rear end Cuonzo's offenses never seemed to fit well with him.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I wonder if that means Sharife is gonna declare.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

the mean lunch lady posted:

They have two spots, maybe another, to fill with transfers. Cuonzo has done an alright job getting ones that fill their needs. Drew Buggs was nice to have on nights when Pinson was playing poorly. There are rumors about certain former big Mizzou targets (not just Cam Fletcher) transferring, so maybe they'll land one of them.

If any of those former blue chip St. Louis guys end up at Mizzou, I will be stunned. Martin doesn't have that Drinkwitz energy as far as I've seen.

It will rock to see Pinson drop 25+ against Mizzou, though.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
NC State’s women’s coach Wes Moore win coach of the year, incredibly well deserved both for building up the program from mediocre to juggernaut in a very short time and for this particular season of winning a second straight ACC title (the first two for NCSU in revenue sports since 1987!) and going on the road to beat a #1 not once but twice.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Kirios posted:

I wonder if that means Sharife is gonna declare.

He was almost definitely gone either way

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Grittybeard posted:

Potentially bad news!

https://twitter.com/Dave_Matter/status/1374764453141565441

This seems like a good place for him stylistically though. Playing for plodding rear end Cuonzo's offenses never seemed to fit well with him.

Ah beans. Yeah that’s definitely a good spot for him

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

So weird to have the Sweet 16 games starting on Saturday.

edit to avoid double post: Lon Kruger is retiring. Never a great coach, but always a pretty good one for quite a long time now.

elentar fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 25, 2021

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Really sad to see Kruger go but dude has definitely earned his retirement.

I always stress about OU getting a new BBall coach. We have a decent pedigree, good resources, etc., but what coach worth their salt wants to be somewhere where basketball, even when it's good, is a distant second thought to football? The only times Lloyd Noble is full is Kansas, Texas, and Bedlam, and if Texas or OSU sucks then even those aren't a given. I feel like we were lucky to even get Kruger.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Myles Johnson is transferring, I think it'll be a big surprise if he doesn't end up at Stanford.

This is a special situation because he's a REALLY good student and he's transferring for his post-basketball opportunities, he is leaving on good terms.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

TipTow posted:

I always stress about OU getting a new BBall coach. We have a decent pedigree, good resources, etc., but what coach worth their salt wants to be somewhere where basketball, even when it's good, is a distant second thought to football? The only times Lloyd Noble is full is Kansas, Texas, and Bedlam, and if Texas or OSU sucks then even those aren't a given. I feel like we were lucky to even get Kruger.

Always liked Lon. Oklahoma and the Big 12 lost a good one.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Kim Jong Il posted:

Myles Johnson is transferring, I think it'll be a big surprise if he doesn't end up at Stanford.

This is a special situation because he's a REALLY good student and he's transferring for his post-basketball opportunities, he is leaving on good terms.

It really sucks that he went out the way he did. He's going to be really good for someone next year.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
From the DII Final 4:

https://twitter.com/CBSSportsNet/status/1375253683437514754

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

TipTow posted:

Kruger seems like a good guy, and I think he always did a lot with coaches vs cancer. And he's one of only three coaches to take 5 teams to the tournament.

One of my favorite in-person basketball experiences was watching OU beat top 5 Kansas in Lloyd Noble in 2013. The crowd was probably half Kansas fans.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Kruger was well-suited to college. The pros, not so much.

He promised a refund to season ticket holders if the Atlanta Hawks didn't make the playoffs.

The Hawks lost approximately $500,000.

Atlanta had a couple of good pieces. Abdur-Rahim, a young Jason Terry. They got the little bit left that Toni Kukoc had. Theo Ratliff was supposed to succeed Dikembe Mutombo. Ratliff wasn't bad, but he wasn't Mutombo. He was more like a cardboard cutout of Mutombo and not quite as durable. They drafted poorly. The best pick during Kruger's reign was Pau Gasol, who they promptly traded for Abdur-Rahim.

I never held it against Kruger. It's been a long time since anybody had long-term success with the Hawks.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

The crowd was probably half Kansas fans.

Yep, checks out.

I'm not the biggest college basketball fan ever so I have no idea how common this is but the ticket prices are tiered at "all games except OSU, Texas, and Kansas" < OSU and Texas < Kansas. Smart, but kinda giving away how little OU fans care about basketball.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Didn’t West Texas A&M become UTEP? There’s another one now?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Henchman of Santa posted:

Didn’t West Texas A&M become UTEP? There’s another one now?

UTEP was just Texas Western

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/jeffborzello/status/1375447581761806336?s=19

gonzaga got another five star. They're probably gonna get Chet too. They might not lose again for awhile

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

TipTow posted:

Yep, checks out.

I'm not the biggest college basketball fan ever so I have no idea how common this is but the ticket prices are tiered at "all games except OSU, Texas, and Kansas" < OSU and Texas < Kansas. Smart, but kinda giving away how little OU fans care about basketball.

It's kind of a shame since OU has the resources and the past decade has shown that they can win. Pitino seems like the best coach available albeit a controversial one. I honestly don't have a clue who they would aim for.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Sounding like Shaka to Marquette.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

kdrudy posted:

Sounding like Shaka to Marquette.

Leaving before he gets fired next year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirty shrimp money