Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

oh my god how have I never seen this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

congrats national hockey league you've fixed officiating

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/IneffectiveMath/status/1374736840301936652

https://twitter.com/IneffectiveMath/status/1374741666242953221

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
The most Micah of outcomes.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

yelling about refs gets tiring

Eh, gotta yell at someone

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
I have about 10-15 different guys wearing a jersey I like that I can yell at on any given night.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

Eh, gotta yell at someone

:hmmyes:

RIP Tim Peel, who will we yell at now

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Koopa Kid posted:

:hmmyes:

RIP Tim Peel, who will we yell at now

We'll go back to the old ways, to yell at the players when they won't shoot the puck.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/rayferrarotsn/status/1374743024874397711
https://twitter.com/rayferrarotsn/status/1374743657220218889

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

If the rules were enforced to the letter of the law, every time McDavid steps on the ice he should generate at least a hooking call... and I'm not ok with that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Misanthrope posted:

If the rules were enforced to the letter of the law, every time McDavid steps on the ice he should generate at least a hooking call... and I'm not ok with that.

Except Vegas home games.

(I know! I know!)

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Misanthrope posted:

Yeah, it does seem like calling the rulebook would also solve the NHL's problem of focusing the game on hindering rather than showcasing the best players in the world.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Calling the rule book would result in the last 57 minutes of every game being 3 on 3

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

Calling the rule book would result in the last 57 minutes of every game being 3 on 3

Maybe players should stop cheating then!

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Remember in the first post-lockout season (2005-06) when the NHL decided they actually did want to call everything and then there were lots of penalties but that meant too many goals were being scored and players had to stop committing so much obvious obstruction and Buffalo was actually good so they had to walk it back until 15 years later most regular season games are called like playoff games again?

That was fun.

Misanthrope posted:

So basically like Crosby back then? Sure, he never had McDavid's speed/skating advantage over the entire league but it was like a Jagr vs Lemieux.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

eXXon posted:

Remember in the first post-lockout season (2005-06) when the NHL decided they actually did want to call everything and then there were lots of penalties but that meant too many goals were being scored and players had to stop committing so much obvious obstruction and Buffalo was actually good so they had to walk it back until 15 years later most regular season games are called like playoff games again?

That was fun.

RIP in power to "Obstruction Interference", a phrase we heard uttered about 40 times per game for half a season, then never heard again.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Changing or adjusting rules is anathema to those motivated by profit and bureaucratic hierarchy.

:geno:

I personally think the players would adjust, like Ferraro pointed out in the tweet.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

DJExile posted:

RIP in power to "Obstruction Interference", a phrase we heard uttered about 40 times per game for half a season, then never heard again.

Remember the faceoff violation penalties the NHL really wanted to focus on?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Remember when they called penalties for like a couple months after the lockout and cool goals were scored for a bit? Anyway, the league wants more goals to make the game better.

How do we do that? How about fatter posts? Smaller goalies? gently caress with the lines under the ice? Yeah, let's do those. Anything but let talented players play the game of hockey in a talented way.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I remember when they made the jersey tuck a penalty
League is clownshoes

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Remember when they made puck over the glass a penalty and everyone hated it but they kept it around for some reason? It seemingly exists entirely to allow for powerplays in playoff OT.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

MoaM posted:

Changing or adjusting rules is anathema to those motivated by profit and bureaucratic hierarchy.

:geno:

I personally think the players would adjust, like Ferraro pointed out in the tweet.

Most players would adjust just fine. Some would have some issues, but those are the players everyone complains about constantly anyway.

Like they did with the slashing penalties after a few broken hands. Is it back a little? Sure, but it’s much less excessive than it used to be. Even the interference is much better than it used to be. Is there regular minor stuff? Of course, but it’s not always good for a penalty, but there are plenty that should be called but aren’t because referees are dinosaurs in the NHL.

Basically no one will be happy until they just stop evening things up. At least when you’re taking 7 penalties in a game it should be pretty clear why you’ve just done it. The opposite only leads to players not having a clue what’s going to be called that night.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/EdmontonOilers/status/1374767999006109699

Alex Stalock is stealing my heart

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

xzzy posted:

Maybe players should stop cheating then!

Remember two years ago when everyone was up in arms about offside reviews and if we should change or remove offside entirely? My opinion of 'maybe players shouldn't constantly be going offside, since it seems like an adjustment they could make themselves" was not a popular one but it seems like that's what's happened, there's still successful reviews but the frequency is way down and it's not really a discussion topic. I expect if there was an actual crackdown on hooking/holding/interference/charging/boarding the players will have adjusted by year 3.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dropping in to say lol Tim Peel and congrats Aphro.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

refs are sports cops and they should all be fired!

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/JHallNBCS/status/1374773684167176197?s=19

have you tried uh doing something chuck

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/strombone1/status/1374757314335535112

lmao

Edit: HA!!

https://twitter.com/SarahSpain/status/1374778691704782854

DJExile fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Mar 24, 2021

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

So I know we just had a whole thing around injuries and cap circumvention, but Jack Campbell is starting for the Leafs again on Friday and if he plays well for about a fortnight I'm betting :10bux: that before the trade deadline Frederik Andersen's injury will take a turn for the worse and he'll be shut down until the playoffs.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

Remember when they made puck over the glass a penalty and everyone hated it but they kept it around for some reason? It seemingly exists entirely to allow for powerplays in playoff OT.

This makes me wonder if some dumbfuck cost their squad a game or series by accidentally doing it or something

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

please make this entire tweet the thread title. thanks

https://twitter.com/NHLFlyers/status/1374777723143475207

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

Philly and Calgary should really swap some forwards for defense in the offseason.

I think there's a lot of *checks notes* ..... dogshit garbage that really just needs a change of scenery.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Cocaine Bear posted:

Remember when they called penalties for like a couple months after the lockout and cool goals were scored for a bit? Anyway, the league wants more goals to make the game better.

How do we do that? How about fatter posts? Smaller goalies? gently caress with the lines under the ice? Yeah, let's do those. Anything but let talented players play the game of hockey in a talented way.

While we're at it let's lock the goalies inside a trapezoid because eh who needs the extra stick handling/passing/mobility/etc

(I get that IIRC it was motivated by other things like cutting back on the neutral zone trap and poo poo but still, gently caress that dumbass change)

You're in luck!!!

https://twitter.com/NHLFlyers/status/1374764673413840905?s=19

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Chad Sexington posted:

If Fox is a Norris contender, Panarin is the best non-McDavid scorer in the league and Zbad is a 1C, why aren't the Rangers like... already winning?

As other people have said, the Rangers lack effective depth right now and they're a very young team prone to mistakes and inconsistency.

they struggled to start the season because their top line vets started slow (in large part because Zibanejad was recovering from COVID) and they didn't have the depth that was ready to help pick them up the slack. TBH I'm also kinda eh on how they've developed Kakko and Lafreniere right now, we'll see how it pans out in the end but basically they've sheltered the poo poo out of them and it feels like instead of learning how to grow their game and make mistakes and learn they just kinda get middling minutes while the established players soak up the major minutes and nearly all of the PP time. That said, COVID season is also weird.

Their depth has also been tested at times because of injuries (Chytil getting hurt early, Trouba out for awhile, Shesterkin going down, Panarin out even though that's not injury related).

That all said they're still about a .500 team and their analytics have improved over last season

It takes more than 3 great players to make a team a contender. Fox is amazing and there's literally no argument to be made against him, same with Panarin, and if you want to argue why Zibanejad isn't a 1C I think there needs to be more to it than "well a few years ago he wasn't"

That doesn't mean they're good enough overall to win yet. They need Miller to continue to improve and give them a more solid top 4 D (he makes rookie mistakes but there's a ton of potential there for him paired with Trouba), their third line and young high draft picks to find their games, and for the team as a whole to actually find the consistency they need to have over a full season etc to be considered a good team.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

ThinkTank posted:

People hated that? Defensemen intentionally putting pucks into the stands was annoying as gently caress. Not to mention a touch dangerous.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Vengarr posted:

People hated that? Defensemen intentionally putting pucks into the stands was annoying as gently caress. Not to mention a touch dangerous.

I mean it was nicknamed "the worst penalty" for a reason. No one does it intentionally anymore. It should be a no line change faceoff like icing.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Vengarr posted:

Right so call it as icing. Making it a penalty was, is, and will always be stupid as hell.

In practice refs also regard it as stupid and almost always call a hook on the other team within the next few minutes to make up for it when it happens.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Vengarr posted:

It doesn't feel worthy of a minor penalty when 95% of the time it's accidental these days. Maybe if they could make it a 1-minute penalty, and 2 minutes if deemed intentional. But if that's impossible, I'd be fine with simply treating it the same as icing (no line change and no possibility of a commercial break or a timeout).

Zat fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 24, 2021

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Puck over glass as a 2 min minor is an overreaction that I think is better solved by treating it like an icing. Play stops and no changes allowed.

edit: Yeah, what the last 3 people said lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
It's less risky for the defense to shoot the puck out of play than trying to ice it. Plus, there's that chance of someone eating a puck to the face.

Maybe give a warning for a first offense instead of a penalty, but I do like the incentive to keep the puck in play