Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

https://twitter.com/AgentRachelLuba/status/1374766360920686594

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

lol

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

It's a good question considering the quoted tweet is saying it's going to be compared to career norms

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Unless the league is already planning to scapegoat a couple of high profile guys (like Bauer) there is no way they're going to enforce this. You can pretty clearly see pitchers with pine tar on their hats during any given game, Craig Kimbrel is an obvious one not that it seems to be helping him.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah, the loophole definitely seems to be that MLB is claiming they'll only look at aberrations in spin rate which means if you use it every start and every pitch then they won't do anything. Also a whole thing with Bauer is that he wasn't just using pine tar, but some kind of new substance he hired chemists to cook up for him that is stickier and less visible than pine tar, and I'm going to go out on a limb and say the "compliance officers" MLB hires won't have the savvy to look for stuff like that.

Honestly a way better solution is for MLB to just acknowledge that pitchers need some grip substance and just say "okay you can use pine tar, but only pine tar and only a certain amount", and then start enforcing that strongly. IIRC there have been plenty of hitters in the past who've said they're fine with pitchers using some a little something to improve their grip because it means they're less likely to get plunked, particularly when the weather is otherwise poor.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Popete posted:

Unless the league is already planning to scapegoat a couple of high profile guys (like Bauer)
It's pretty much what they did about PEDs (ARod) so I wouldn't be surprised if they do similar grandstanding here.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
drat

https://twitter.com/jrfegan/status/1374820123433963528?s=21

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

drat that’s good

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1374831929531494402

Are you serious Astros? This is practically insulting

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah that's not going to cut it

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

That's like what you offer him when you're buying out multiple arb years and maybe even a pre-arb year and hoping he bites, not when he's a free agent to be after the season

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Pay all players all the time, but also maybe let’s see how he does in a non-COVID, non-trash can year

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

That's a long contract for a guy who can't stay healthy. Not sure this deal is that great for the Astros, but good on them for locking up one of their guys longterm.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

would be cool if correa was a free agent and we get to speculate which of the three teams that are willing to spend money gets him.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Bregor posted:

Pay all players all the time, but also maybe let’s see how he does in a non-COVID, non-trash can year

His second best year was 2019 after the banging had stopped

He was also excellent in 2015 and 2016. The covid hellyear was one of his two bad years, the other being 2018. Lots of injuries though, that's the big knock

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Mollymauk posted:

Oral history of Randy Johnson obliterating the bird: https://theathletic.com/2460325/

What did Fidrych do to deserve that he barely got to play :(

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
That Correa number is laughably low, but an actual hearty lol at the McCullers deal, given how the latter is just as much of a glass cannon as the former.

If the Astros rotation wasn’t in such a godawful state right now there’s no way someone like McCullers would have gotten a five year extension. Maybe two or three.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Speaking of extensions, the Pirates apparently made an offer to Ke'Bryan Hayes and it went nowhere

https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/status/1374908143709392899?s=20

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Probably made the Albies deal look good.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
He's also from a wealthy family given that his father played MLB baseball for something like 15 seasons. He is pretty unlikely to sign an early extension, though i hope the team ponies up and keeps trying.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Signing McCullers is fine if he can stay healthy and it's not my money

Lowballing Correa is poo poo

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

would be cool if correa was a free agent and we get to speculate which of the three teams that are willing to spend money gets him.
It’s going to be a hosed up winter. Correa, Baez, Story, and Seager all free agents with 3 of those teams signaling they aren’t serious about retaining said shortstop. Yankees get their pick of the bunch while a lockout makes it all moot?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

bawfuls posted:

It’s going to be a hosed up winter. Correa, Baez, Story, and Seager all free agents with 3 of those teams signaling they aren’t serious about retaining said shortstop. Yankees get their pick of the bunch while a lockout makes it all moot?

Which 3? Feels like we're trying to make a play for Baez.

God the CBA is gonna be awful. It has consumed my work life at this point

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

bawfuls posted:

The Giants are going to spend big next offseason and Brandon Crawford will be a free agent and also 35 years old (where does the time go :psyduck:). We're gonna be in on all those guys.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The Cubs aren't going to pony up for Javy's 30's at FA value. They're trying to extend him but my guess is the offer on the table is lower than Correa's.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

bawfuls posted:

could be Lindor too if the Mets can't get an extension done

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Poque posted:

Which 3? Feels like we're trying to make a play for Baez.

God the CBA is gonna be awful. It has consumed my work life at this point
Seems clear the Cubs are going to go for the classic “we tried” move with Baez. But maybe he’s the one guy from that core they retain for fan service?

The Pussy Boss posted:

The Giants are going to spend big next offseason and Brandon Crawford will be a free agent and also 35 years old (where does the time go :psyduck:). We're gonna be in on all those guys.
You keep your filthy mitts off my NLCS & WS MVP :nono:

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 25, 2021

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The Cubs have Bryant, Javy, and Rizzo all potentially walking after this year, there are segments of the fandom who will riot for each of them being allowed to walk, and the Cubs are absolutely not spending to retain all three in FA.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

https://twitter.com/Jim_Duquette/status/1375141087656960007

That really sucks. Hope he makes it back this year.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

drat out for almost the entire year with a broken titty

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
RIP white sox. Christ the AL is so bad this year.... if the Yankees don't win it that would be pretty disappointing.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Wow, that's loving awful

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Confirmed, just brutal:

https://twitter.com/Andy_Masur1/status/1375146718602350594

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

https://twitter.com/mlbbowman/status/1375136918976004104
Kinda thought he was on track to make the roster

E: maybe not
https://twitter.com/mlbbowman/status/1375139186076966914

KICK BAMA KICK fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 25, 2021

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Alright--thread request. I don't play multiplayer at all but I'm either going to wait for 21 or buy The Show 20 today. It's on PS4 so the most coveted feature (design a stadium) is no longer a factor.

Should I just go ahead and pull the discount trigger on 20? That's sort of my gut feeling right now. I doubt Franchise will be improved that much. Or graphics on the same platform.

I haven't played one since 17 and I played the poo poo out of it.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
If you just want to play franchise then yeah, pick up 20 and just download an updated roster.

If you're interested in playing RTTS, it looks like it is getting a pretty substantial overhaul in 21.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I play diamond dyansty online almost exclusively and find that incredibly engaging; playing the AI after playing good humans is just not the same. that said I dunno if they keep game servers up for previous years editions.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

iirc the servers are up for the three most recently released games. So when 21 drops the online servers for 18 will go down.

But yeah, if you're not a big DD player buying 20 is probably good enough

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Gio Gonzalez decided to retire today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
What did the Show 20 do for the live roster stuff? Did they just collapse it to the 60 game season?