Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

TaurusOxford posted:

and Iceborne gave us the best rendition of it yet....as the mount theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY9rue5p2Tw

awoooooooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

[Bison going YES, YES, YES]

even better if we get Stygian Zinogre and the Black/Red version of that Axe.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Tigrex just gave me my first triple cart since Nerg. That thing was one massive lightspeed hitbox. Thankfully the very tolerant dude who answered my SOS helped me get it second time round (and 2 more joined towards the end).
Tigrex really seems tuned for multi as its so hyperaggressive and just focused me the entirety of both fights, was much easier once I settled into the "I am bait, let the others hit it and I'll dodge like a mofo" mindset.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
So this is far from scientific but I did a quick straw poll of one of the bigger English speaking MH groups on Facebook and here are the results after a couple days:

It's gonna be wild if this HH swap from bottom of the list to the top pans out across the whole fandom

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 24, 2021

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

If you trust leakers, I saw someone saying that Hunting Horn got nerfed from the demo, so if that is true I’m curious to see if it stays popular when it isn’t so powerful.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
I really find it interesting how Lance is still consistently so low despite basically trivializing 90% of monsters in World.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Yami Fenrir posted:

I really find it interesting how Lance is still consistently so low despite basically trivializing 90% of monsters in World.

it plays very differently from what most people are used to in action games and as a result most people just recoil in horror when they pick up the lance and try to use it like you would any other weapon

I know this because I did the same, until I eventually learned how to actually use the lance and it became one of my favorite weapons :v:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Yami Fenrir posted:

Most people don't like watch guides and Lance is pretty unintuitive and looks boring compared to stuff like the Charge Blade etc would be my guess.

I know when I first started playing in 3U I had no idea how the gently caress to play Lance. It just felt so goddamn slow and awkward and I could never hit the monster since I was constantly chasing them.

Also the Gunlance exists and lol if you think I would ever choose something called 'lance' over 'gunlance' in a videogame.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Yami Fenrir posted:

The problem is that lance really lacks a big "OOMPH" attack, along with the misconception that lance is a slow, immobile weapon. People just find the weapon too boring.

Ethiser posted:

If you trust leakers, I saw someone saying that Hunting Horn got nerfed from the demo, so if that is true I’m curious to see if it stays popular when it isn’t so powerful.

HH is still "mid-tier", but it absolutely got gutted in its motion values.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Your Computer posted:

it plays very differently from what most people are used to in action games and as a result most people just recoil in horror when they pick up the lance and try to use it like you would any other weapon

I know this because I did the same, until I eventually learned how to actually use the lance and it became one of my favorite weapons :v:

What? I gotta use my brain and use patience when beating up monsters?

It's hard for me to play lance because I'm too busy going hog wild with whatever heavy hitter weapon I get my hands on. I wanna see them sick crits

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Your Computer posted:

I can see that. I think I tried it way back without getting it and then I saw a video of a ruiner nergigante speedrun with Lance and I was just like ... whoa.

But still, it's the internet. I kinda figured the "secret tip" thing wouldn't be a thing anymore, but Lance seems to fall into that category in World.

Edit: Also what do you mean, if anything Lance is more aggressive, because you're always attacking, even rudely ignoring the monsters own attacks.

But yeah the big OOMPH is definitely missing.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Spent 350 hours playing the Bow in World but I’m tempted to switch to a melee for Rise.

At the very least the hammer’s bonk factor and exploding things with the gunlance, or pretending I’m Levi Ackerman with the dual blades all call to me especially

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

TaurusOxford posted:

The problem is that lance really lacks a big "OOMPH" attack, along with the misconception that lance is a slow, immobile weapon. People just find the weapon too boring.

Were there any other major changes from the demo beyond HH getting nerfed into the ground?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
heck, to be even more specific most action games (and indeed most monhun weapons) have the typical layout of basic attacks, strong attacks and dodging, and if you've played anything from Zelda to Dark Souls you'll at least feel somewhat familiar with most weapons. Lance just.... does not function like most people expect.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Zore posted:

Were there any other major changes from the demo beyond HH getting nerfed into the ground?

The only other big one was Spread ammo being nerfed. The actual motion values got buffed to 10 when it was previously 8, but now Spread 1/2/3 only fire 3/4/5 pellets as opposed to 5/6/7.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

MechaX posted:

Spent 350 hours playing the Bow in World but I’m tempted to switch to a melee for Rise.

At the very least the hammer’s bonk factor and exploding things with the gunlance, or pretending I’m Levi Ackerman with the dual blades all call to me especially

I'm probably going Dual Blades too. The counterattack was like, the one thing I felt like was missing from it to be 'Great' instead of 'Good' for me.

Lance is just sort of my guilty love because there is something that just speaks to me about standing in a Teo supernova without a care.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 24, 2021

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I'm a MH noob, what's the secret to pwning with the S+S?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Nothing too unexpected in this age but there's a 600 mb day 1 patch that will be out at launch.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Yami Fenrir posted:

Lance is just sort of my guilty love because there is something that just speaks to me about standing in a Teo supernova without a care.

:yeah:

I have Guard Up on all my sets because it is more fun to block big attacks than to dodge them.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Tbh most memorable music in MHW for me is Rajang theme, especially the opening sting. That said I think all the music in the game is just so iconic that hearing it in an absence of the game will generally bring to mind the thing it was associated with. The composers did a fantastic job and it is honestly one of my favorite parts of World as a whole.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

fadam posted:

Git Gud at Perfect Rush.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I alternate between Bow and dual blades depending on how much whatever I'm fighting scares me and how much distance I wanna keep. I'll generally start with the Kadachi strikebow + and depending on what the monster turns out to be like will swap to blades, and if I'm helping on SOS I'll pick depending on what others are using. The viper blades are downright evil.

I also would say its worth making one of the defender greatswords for fun, it requires little farming and is good for if you just want a gently caress YOU button and vent some rage on a poor unsuspecting Great Jagras or Pukei.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The only excuse lance fans ever give went out the window when they added blast dash.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Framboise posted:

I wanna see them sick crits

Everybody wants to be OLAY.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

chumbler posted:

The only excuse lance fans ever give went out the window when they added blast dash.

Blast dash is rad but if anything is making me consider gunlance it's actually the counter move that they get (iirc, anyway) now.

If you knew what you were doing with it you'd be even saver than you already are with lance.

I also liked guard dash/thrust, just for those small repositioning things.

So...

not really.

Gunlance is a gun with a shield.

Lance is your best impression at being a ground-bound immortal bee.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
My secret favorite theme is the "medium monster" theme from the Rotten Vale. It's the right combination of heroic and tense and yet at the same time the flute(?) bits have just enough notes to fit "Why isn't Odogaron here? Why isn't Odogaron here?" perfectly, and you can chant "Where is good boy Odo?" to the chorus. It's amazing. It's an entire theme that promises more to come, and then when Odo does show up it's perfect.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 24, 2021

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

TaurusOxford posted:

Yeah, that's the thing, the Lance isn't a flashy moves big numbers weapons, but it's amazing at being able to put out constant pressure. If it's not all up on you you can just do your poke poke poke pause thing, if it's enraged and bearing down on you, just get into the cadence for counter attacks.

I was leaning toward HH with Rise - I might wind up tooling around with Lance/Hammer/S&S like I'm use to and roll with that, I guess time will tell.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

fadam posted:

It's a super versatile weapon, it has cutting damage with the sword and blunt damage with the shield, plus you can do mounting damage on demand (less important in rise since it seems like everyone can but whatever it's still cool), PLUS you can use items without putting your weapon away which makes it easier to recover from mistakes. The best thing to get used to is using the basic X X B B strings, cancelling with a roll to reposition around whatever the monster is doing and then keep up the pressure. And whenever the monster is downed from your KO or cutting a limb off or after a mount, unloading with the perfect rush. The flow is fast and you have a lot of options at any one time and you don't have to worry about any meter upkeep like other weapons...it owns.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The actual secret is to make a paralyze SnS and use Wide Range and no one will ever care if you suck as long as you heal everyone and get some paralyzes in

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I will use my silkbinds for countering and only countering and I will absolutely have problems when I use a weapon that does not have a dedicated silkbind counter.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
It's gonna be real hard to not play the charge blade now that it has a goddamn counter that fills up all your phials. I used to split between lance and charge blade because countering made me feel like a cool guy and SAED made me feel like a cool guy, now I don't have to choose!

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
yeah it's genuinely hard to get hype for another weapon now that CB has the counter phial filler AND a forward jump into SAED

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

TaurusOxford posted:

Agreed. Lance suffers more than a lot of weapons from being undertutorialized, and it feels awful if you don't know how to get its mobility and counters going. Plus, the early Lances in World bounce all the loving time, especially when charging, so it gives a poor initial impression.

I think the lack of OOMPH is also a factor. As much as I love Lance, there is no blow I can throw with Lance that is as satisfyingly powerful-feeling as Hunting Horn's Superpound. KO'ing a monster with that attack (or QTABing a flying Rathian out of the air) may be the single best feeling in the game for me. Wind it up behind you like a cartoon sledgehammer, and loving WHAM. It feels so much more impactful than any of Lance's standard attacks.

Lance's most viscerally satisfying attack is probably the Counter Claw/Wound combo, which is more a move that looks/feels cool than one that feels super punishing (though it does a good amount of damage).

I love Lance because you can be a relentless offensive force, just chasing the monster down and perforating it to death while shrugging off its attacks like an rear end in a top hat, but man, swinging a giant bagpipe into a dinosaur and knocking it out like a Punch-Out character is immensely satisfying, and Lance doesn't have anything quite like that in its toolkit.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Im excited that HBG is lowest on the list because I love doing dumb bullet math

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Tri on the Wii status update: Found the pro controller. Giggi in the dark still sucks.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

My secret favorite theme is the "medium monster" theme from the Rotten Vale. It's the right combination of heroic and tense and yet at the same time the flute(?) bits have just enough notes to fit "Why isn't Odogaron here? Why isn't Odogaron here?" perfectly, and you can chant "Where is good boy Odo?" to the chorus. It's amazing. It's an entire theme that promises more to come, and then when Odo does show up it's perfect.
I think I like the Large monster theme for Rotten Vale, namely this bit linked at this time stamp.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6wMmQ_SnkE&t=90s
But I also really like across the Rotten Vale theme, the use of the keyboard/electronic sounding instrument that pops up from time to time that seems almost out of place.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Her entire vibe was my favorite thing in World. I like that melancholy grandeur.

She's such a well-designed monster, but it's hard to imagine them outside the Vale/World. Their entire thing is very World specific.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I'm fine with Vaal being something that just made World special tbh.

We go back and play other entries in the series all the time, we'll all be back to World in a couple years like it's GU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Yeah the Vale is my favorite themed MH zone because there's so much there that feels new and like it wouldn't fit anywhere else, meanwhile pretty much all the other monsters could go to every other map. I agree, having Vaal Hazaak or the Odogaron on any other map would feel weird.

That being said my favorite map is the main map from 3. World's main map is massive for how few combat arenas there are and it's so easy to get turned around and not be able to tell exactly where you're going. Even the scoutflies aren't totally reliable for the fastest route and there's been plenty of times I've been running back and forth trying to find a monster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
It's not particularly grand perhaps but even after so many hunts I still really like Savage of the Ancient Forest.