Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

slicing up some sushi rolls in front of guests with my cat piss knife, waiting for someone to ask how i got my knife so pretty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Anyone want snow cones?

Oh don't worry. It's lemon.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i mean it's definitely a conversation starter

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Probably conversation-ender, too

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Why can't you use your own urine? I know I say this all the time but what makes cat urine so special?

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

Subjunctive posted:

Yep, precisely so.

So, I tried these. Still got them, weren't too cheap! But I figured, hey, for life ...sure.

Kiiiinda underwhelmed! They do have metal grinding components which was nice. But two things jump out as not great.

1. The too nob threads in the way I normally use it, and it's knurling and placement is such that it's always being tightened under regular use.
2. Which effects the output size of course, but even that just seems really inconsistent and light. The grain size changes but just seems like I'm grinding for minutes to pepper a few chicken thighs.

Oh well.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I got the Insinkerator hot/cold water dispenser because "gently caress it, while we're there" and my wife asked for it.

It is pretty disappointing how cheap they went on the connections; from your normal stop valve you adapt down to a 1/4 tube with a compression fitting, which goes into a bite fitting on the filter, and out another one. 1 of the lines from the dispenser down to the tank has an actual cam lock connector on it, the other two are just tubing that goes over a ridged nipple. Not even any clamps.

I hose clamped the latter two, but I'm not happy with the bite fittings at the filter on either side. I just don't trust them with a pressurized line.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Basic Poster posted:

So, I tried these. Still got them, weren't too cheap! But I figured, hey, for life ...sure.

Kiiiinda underwhelmed! They do have metal grinding components which was nice. But two things jump out as not great.

1. The too nob threads in the way I normally use it, and it's knurling and placement is such that it's always being tightened under regular use.
2. Which effects the output size of course, but even that just seems really inconsistent and light. The grain size changes but just seems like I'm grinding for minutes to pepper a few chicken thighs.

Oh well.

I had one that instead of tightening it loosened. Basically a lemon. I also have a proper one and it is good. Idk how they do their qa

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That’s why (some of us) said if you want lots of ground pepper get a Unicorn Magnum. Peugeots are pretty but Magnums are workhorses.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
My dudes i ended up buying that tramotina 12inch sautee pan and its great. For 50 bucks too. Good recco thank you.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

obi_ant posted:

Decided to ball out and purchase a Thermapen Mk4, it was on "sale" and I've grown tired of using my current one.
Yeah baby I did this too!! The orange one?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

That’s why (some of us) said if you want lots of ground pepper get a Unicorn Magnum. Peugeots are pretty but Magnums are workhorses.

I own a Peugeot and a Unicorn Magnum. The Peugeot has been empty for more than a decade at this point. It's pretty but it's not even loving close in terms of usability.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I have the opposite experience. I retired my magnum for the peugeot. Peugeot output isn't quite as high but is pretty good (I find myself needing to refill it a lot) and the grind is much more fine. To the user whose peugeot is giving them trouble, I know the top needs to be screwed on a lot tighter than it seems. Otherwise not sure, maybe a lemon hard to say.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Mar 23, 2021

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That’s always been the knock on the magnum, that it can’t grind as fine as the Peugot. I guess I like it coarse.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Have said before in this thread, I keep the peugot on the table and the magnum by the stove.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Yeah baby I did this too!! The orange one?

Hella yeah! I couldn’t swing the purple one, but the orange one is :woop:

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Nephzinho posted:

Have said before in this thread, I keep the peugot on the table and the magnum by the stove.

same, but in the garage and by the bed :coal:

e: I really like pepper

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

obi_ant posted:

Hella yeah! I couldn’t swing the purple one, but the orange one is :woop:
Yeah I can't believe they're discontinuing the orange one, it's the best color, it nearly matches the amazing Le Creuset orange.

Really excited to try this thing out on a roast chicken

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Bummer. Orange allows me to find it quickly, as generally if I'm trying to temp something, I want to temp it now and not after some digging through the drawer it's in.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Empty Sandwich posted:

same, but in the garage and by the bed :coal:

e: I really like pepper

i put pepper in my soap

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
If you have a thermapen you might as well get the silicone case that glows in the dark and has magnets on the back. Mine was a gift and it’s great being able to stick the thermometer on the side of the fridge at the very top where I always know where to find it, especially since my kitchen now only has 3 drawers.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
So I've been upgrading basically everything in my kitchen via info from the thread and it's time to work on organizing the pantry. I enjoy OXO but not necessarily the prices always....any other brands worth checking out for pantry containers?
Cereal, flour all the usual stuff

Everyone on YouTube seems to all love OXO or canning jars

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lots of options. i’ve been trying to increasing use glass instead of plastic. i like the anchor hocking containers generally but there are lots of options there too. rubbermaid still makes a lot of decent plastics stuff.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hey, fuckos

Rite-Aid ice cream scoop guns are available again

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YYWR99T/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

edit: apparently they're not the same as the actual ice cream scoops the shops use, they're thinner and made of steel, the real ones are thicker and made of aluminum?

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Mar 24, 2021

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
https://www.amazon.com/Zeroll-1016-Original-Conductive-2-5-ounce/dp/B0002U34EM/

this was my favorite type back in my heady days of working at a soda fountain

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
My wife just got a carbonator (what do you call them? A SodaStream?).

Anyways, I was looking at it, and, in essence, it's just two fittings and a valve. Is there a tiny version of these?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

mediaphage posted:

lots of options. i’ve been trying to increasing use glass instead of plastic. i like the anchor hocking containers generally but there are lots of options there too. rubbermaid still makes a lot of decent plastics stuff.
I also really like the pyrex snapware set you can get from costco for cheep

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

bolind posted:

My wife just got a carbonator (what do you call them? A SodaStream?).

Anyways, I was looking at it, and, in essence, it's just two fittings and a valve. Is there a tiny version of these?

that's what all carbonators are mostly

what do you mean by tiny version, the sodastreams are smaller than say my setup, which is a big tank of co2

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

mediaphage posted:

that's what all carbonators are mostly

what do you mean by tiny version, the sodastreams are smaller than say my setup, which is a big tank of co2

I'm guessing bolind is after a carbonator cap. So it'd be fittings and a hose vs. a sodastream machine taking up counterspace. But yeah, the tradeoff would be having to have a co2 tank to store somewhere.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I mean there's also the high cost per dose 8 gram cartridges which you can get a very very small setup if space is more important than price. Keyword to find those is "siphon".

If you have a cabinet you can store the 5 lb tank I highly recommend that setup though!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

.Z. posted:

I'm guessing bolind is after a carbonator cap. So it'd be fittings and a hose vs. a sodastream machine taking up counterspace. But yeah, the tradeoff would be having to have a co2 tank to store somewhere.

yeah, although if you aren't into sitting there and shaking, the caps require leaving things connected for a while ime.

i'm not a huge fan of the sodastreams wrt my setup because i don't think they carbonate as well. we bought a chest freezer and set a thermocouple up to keep it from freezing and just hooked up a tap to some water kegs (which are themselves connected to the co2). as one gets emptied, we switch connections and the new tank is carbonated within a day or so.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

BrianBoitano posted:

I mean there's also the high cost per dose 8 gram cartridges which you can get a very very small setup if space is more important than price. Keyword to find those is "siphon".

If you have a cabinet you can store the 5 lb tank I highly recommend that setup though!

if you gently caress up a fair amount w a co2 tank you and your family can die quickly but very painfully in your sleep

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

bob dobbs is dead posted:

if you gently caress up a fair amount w a co2 tank you and your family can die quickly but very painfully in your sleep

i dunno you’d probably pass out pretty quickly from the oxygen being physically displaced from your lungs. the pain would be brief at least.

that’s unlikely to happen though with even a little ventilation. i guess maybe don’t turn off your furnace fan and sleep in the basement after turning a full tank on blast

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

bob dobbs is dead posted:

5 lbs of CO2 is 2 people's 24 hr exhalations. That all leaking in 5 minutes would be bad, but you'd hear it. There may be a dangerous leak rate that would be slow enough not to hear but fast enough to accumulate against our HVAC, maybe. In any case, it's downstairs in a closet and we sleep upstairs so no risk at all for us. Once my kid can walk and defeat child safety door knobs I'll lock it like my liquor.

E: the most likely injury is a minor cut from plastic shrapnel if you reuse a bottle 100 times. Another concern would be rupture and projectile tank, so keeping it strapped upright is important and only let professionals refill it.

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 25, 2021

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
CO2 buildup in your blood is pretty painful, I wonder if you’d wake up first before passing out

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
If you're worried about 5# cylinders of CO2 stay away from Class C fire extinguishers I guess.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

CO2 buildup in your blood is pretty painful, I wonder if you’d wake up first before passing out

i think it depends

my guess is the only time it’s going to be so dangerous as to be fatal is if you’re in a confined space and there’s explosive decompression of the cylinder such that it forces the o2 out of your lungs. the same could happen with pretty much any non o2 gas. in that case you might not wake up quickly enough. in labs we were always told it could knock you out super quick but of course you’re already awake in that scenario. if it’s a slow leak that generally raises the concentration i’d argue there’s a chance you could wake up given our physiological response to co2 buildup

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i wonder how much the fermentation in a loaf of bread increases the average co2 concentration in a kitchen that isn’t burning gas

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I'm a respiratory therapist and deal a lot with the effects of high/low CO2 in blood. I wouldn't say it's painful, you would just feel very short of breath and then after a point it would make you sleepy as it rose further up and started to lower your level of consciousness. Eventually you'd pass out (has to do with hydrogen ions and the brain) and die from the lack of oxygen if you're still in a space where there isn't any/enough.

This is a bit different from something like a propane leak which to my understanding doesn't enter your bloodstream at all but displaces the nitrogen/oxygen you'd normally breathe to get CO2 out and O2 in.

e: CO2 diffuses extremely quickly and essentially won't build up to any dangerous concentration so long as any air is circulating in any way. I use CO2 detection devices at work with ventilators etc and even in a room full of people preparing to intubate (imagine a room the size of a large bathroom with 6 people in it) it reads 0mmHg unless you literally exhale directly through it.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

I'm a respiratory therapist and deal a lot with the effects of high/low CO2 in blood. I wouldn't say it's painful, you would just feel very short of breath and then after a point it would make you sleepy as it rose further up and started to lower your level of consciousness. Eventually you'd pass out (has to do with hydrogen ions and the brain) and die from the lack of oxygen if you're still in a space where there isn't any/enough.

This is a bit different from something like a propane leak which to my understanding doesn't enter your bloodstream at all but displaces the nitrogen/oxygen you'd normally breathe to get CO2 out and O2 in.

e: CO2 diffuses extremely quickly and essentially won't build up to any dangerous concentration so long as any air is circulating in any way. I use CO2 detection devices at work with ventilators etc and even in a room full of people preparing to intubate (imagine a room the size of a large bathroom with 6 people in it) it reads 0mmHg unless you literally exhale directly through it.

that's really interesting

yeah we were always told it was only ever a danger if you were in a room with literally no airflow or ventilation and the 20lb tanks basically exploded (i.e. you knocked them over and broke off the top or something)