Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

2house2fly posted:

It gets funnier each time I watch this that WB hired Joss Whedon to heavily reshoot it rather than just trimming what was there. This is a straight-up Avengers style superhero movie played straight as an arrow. It's scientifically designed for audiences to lose their mind hooting and hollering at big hero moments. They poo poo themselves and buried it because Cyborg looks sad in a couple of scenes and the final battle takes place at night lmfao

A curious experiment would be seeing how much you can cut until the film stops being coherent. I don't think there's a possibility of making a good 2-hour film out of this material, but think there could be a great 3-hour cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

John Wick of Dogs posted:

What if they did the opposite and had him do the action unit

That might be even funnier, because the likely situation would be the inverse of the ideal Zack film usually fantasized about : to excise the cool action scenes from the 'bad' overall storytelling.

2house2fly posted:

It gets funnier each time I watch this that WB hired Joss Whedon to heavily reshoot it rather than just trimming what was there. This is a straight-up Avengers style superhero movie played straight as an arrow. It's scientifically designed for audiences to lose their mind hooting and hollering at big hero moments. They poo poo themselves and buried it because Cyborg looks sad in a couple of scenes and the final battle takes place at night lmfao

To be fair to them, Cyborg is both sorrowful and black (grimdark) as the lynchpin in the Snyder Cut, which is impossible to relate to, and so is fiscally irresponsible.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

roffels posted:

A curious experiment would be seeing how much you can cut until the film stops being coherent. I don't think there's a possibility of making a good 2-hour film out of this material, but think there could be a great 3-hour cut.

I imagine that's what they shot around, too. Snyder's ironically the only one actually realising there's no way they can compete with the quantity of films Marvel pumped out, so sets up the first act of superhero Lord of the Rings.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

roffels posted:

I want to see the 214m cut, because that would've almost certainly been the one released in 2017 if WB execs weren't bitches.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm guessing the main difference would be epilogue would end at the Kent farm or when he opens his shirt, shots would linger a bit less, no martian Manhunter bits, wouldn't see Martha until her scene with Lois, Cyborgs desert of the real sequence a little shorter.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

I'm guessing the main difference would be epilogue would end at the Kent farm or when he opens his shirt, shots would linger a bit less, no martian Manhunter bits, wouldn't see Martha until her scene with Lois, Cyborgs desert of the real sequence a little shorter.

No Alfred making tea, less Silas and Ryan Choi.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Martian Manhunter scene as originally shot for John Stewart makes way more sense. The moment in the fight where the Green Lantern ring flys around Darkseid acts as a teaser for him. It would make sense that the smurfs would think to enlist a new GL for Earth's sector after hearing about Steppenwolf's failed invasion. Way more sense than Martian Manhunter being on Earth the whole and not directly helping during the second alien invasion within a decade.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Superman sits down across from Zod and grabs the wrong fork for his salad.

Zod: I was bred and trained for a singular purpose, the practice of Kryptonian etiquette. Where did you learn your table manners? A BARN!?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

roffels posted:

A curious experiment would be seeing how much you can cut until the film stops being coherent. I don't think there's a possibility of making a good 2-hour film out of this material

It’s absolutely doable, but it would involve some very brutal editorial decisions.

Like, there’s such a glut of footage here that you could easily use it to construct a Flash solo movie (featuring Justice League) - or just about anything.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

roffels posted:

For what it’s worth, Snyder presented WB with 3:00, 2:40, and 2:20 cuts. WB insisted on a 2:00 cut and that’s when he walked.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Imagine the sheer breakneck pace of a 2h40m cut of this thing, never mind 2h flat. Jfc

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It’s absolutely doable, but it would involve some very brutal editorial decisions.

Like, there’s such a glut of footage here that you could easily use it to construct a Flash solo movie (featuring Justice League) - or just about anything.

Don't give WB ideas.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Don't give WB ideas.

K Waste listen up though

e: hell, SMG get on it yourself after you finish up your TFA edit

Shanty fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 25, 2021

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Don't give WB ideas.

They had their chance, and they hosed it up.

It's now very clear that the reshoots were strictly unnecessary, even from a commercial perspective. So - it's rather perverse to imagine - but you could easily recreate the Whedon Cut using only Snyder's footage (and the original dialogue, Junkie XL score, etc.), to attain a Superman-centric narrative with close to a two-hour runtime. A sort of "What If WB Were Still poo poo, But At Least Less Incompetent" cut.

But there are just infinite possibilities here. Snyder himself considered like four different versions of the film.

Shanty posted:

K Waste listen up though

e: hell, SMG get on it yourself after you finish up your TFA edit

The TFA Total Re-Edit got disrupted due to technical problems, and Star Wars 9's release providing a ton of raw footage with more narrative potential. I'm currently working on a different project.

Watching Snyder Cut, though, you get really tempted to mess with it. My evil instinct is to remove most of the action scenes.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 25, 2021

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Insisting on 2h seems so weird when Age of Ultron and Infinity War were both over 2:20 and of course then Endgame was three hours.

e: and the original avengers to boot, all of them were over 140

Peel fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 25, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

They had their chance, and they hosed it up.

It's now very clear that the reshoots were strictly unnecessary, even from a commercial perspective. So - it's rather perverse to imagine - but you could easily recreate the Whedon Cut using only Snyder's footage (and the original dialogue, Junkie XL score, etc.), to attain a Superman-centric narrative with close to a two-hour runtime. A sort of "What If WB Were Still poo poo, But At Least Less Incompetent" cut.

But there are just infinite possibilities here. Snyder himself considered like four different versions of the film

I mean, imagine building an entire cinematic universe just out of one movie with various cuts!

For a slightly different flavour of brain poison, I draw a sudden comparison between Superman succumbing to despair and the Anti-Life Equation and the magical girls of Madoka Magica becoming Witches when they lose hope.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Return of the King theatrical was 201 minutes. ZSJL would still be very good at 201 minutes (basically no Epilogue and a few minorly trimmed scenes). They blew it.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Peel posted:

Insisting on 2h seems so weird when Age of Ultron and Infinity War were both over 2:20 and of course then Endgame was three hours.

Batman V Superman had a huge opening and then considerably less ticket sales the successive weeks. They were probably counting on a similar huge opening on Justice League with multiple screenings that first weekend until word got out how poo poo it was.

Rather than, you know, put a good film out there that might have legs.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Peel posted:

It’s almost like the request was deliberately unreasonable because people in WB wanted Snyder gone no matter what, or something

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
It's so odd to see the studio that lets Nolan make whatever he wants at whatever length, and basically put themselves out there as the studio of Epic Filmmaking and yet they were like "No, JL MUST be 2 Hours Even"

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Return of the King theatrical was 201 minutes. ZSJL would still be very good at 201 minutes (basically no Epilogue and a few minorly trimmed scenes). They blew it.

Was the Kent house being saved part of the epilogue? I'd have kept that then put the Knightmare scene after Hallelujah in the credits. I 100% get why ZS did not do that though. I think he'd have felt he was undermining the dedication to Autumn by putting in a hellworld after that.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

It’s almost like the request was deliberately unreasonable because people in WB wanted Snyder gone no matter what, or something

I thought that, but then the Whedon cut was exactly 2 hours. Someone really wanted it for some reason

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

2house2fly posted:

I thought that, but then the Whedon cut was exactly 2 hours. Someone really wanted it for some reason

Probably some corporate metrics bullshit about more screenings per day, and Whedon taking glee in being a hack.

Also I bet all the scenes with minorities were already being circled for cuts.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Tried watching the Justice is Gray edition, and it wasn't doing anything for me. So I switched to watching the color edition for a third time. I may not be film nerdy enough to get behind the black and white edition. I'm not sure I see the point.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Peel posted:

The Endgame comparison is especially comical because it meant Snyder was effectively ahead of the game on what was planned for the MCU before WB held him back.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

For a slightly different flavour of brain poison, I draw a sudden comparison between Superman succumbing to despair and the Anti-Life Equation and the magical girls of Madoka Magica becoming Witches when they lose hope.

Now you've got me contemplating, like, a backwards AMVs.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Zack said he gave WB a 3hr cut, a 2hr 40min cut, and a 2hr 20min cut. WB said it had to be 2hrs, no longer, and that’s when he decided to walk away.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

thrawn527 posted:

Tried watching the Justice is Gray edition, and it wasn't doing anything for me. So I switched to watching the color edition for a third time. I may not be film nerdy enough to get behind the black and white edition. I'm not sure I see the point.

Can anyone confirm anything new or reconfigured in the Gray edition?

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Pirate Jet posted:

I hypothesized a few months before release that the reason WB put Zack Snyder’s name right in the title of the film was to act as a litmus test on Zack Snyder’s reputation. If they’re really as averse to working with him again as it seems, they may have made a huge mistake.
The only people who don't like him are film twitter snobs and insane tumblr refugees, so practically nobody. If Army of the Dead is a success he'll get even more popular. He's a good looking marketable nice guy that actors love working with, without a whiff of personal controversy. While he maybe wouldn't hit a Spielberg level it's not impossible for him to become a household name director where they stick his name on the front of things he's involved with.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I honestly don't believe he'd be as big as he is if he didn't have so many toxic haters spreading outright lies about him. The fan response to them created a feedback loop that amplified his presence.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Mr. Apollo posted:

Zack said he gave WB a 3hr cut, a 2hr 40min cut, and a 2hr 20min cut. WB said it had to be 2hrs, no longer, and that’s when he decided to walk away.

This makes the Whedon Cut a bit more explicable. WB almost certainly had a rough two-hour cut ready to go, as a guideline, before Whedon commenced reshooting to change the tone.

This is why so many shots (or whole sequences) are such odd replicas of Snyder footage. Whedon could have done anything, but specifically wrote a scene where Lois and Martha sit at a table and talk about grief.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Mar 25, 2021

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Plus they changed things for continuity to other films.

"We're not doing a British accent and she's wearing a red with in Aquaman now so reshoot those scenes. Also Vulko looks different and we can't get him for reshoots anyway so cut those parts."

"We're gone make Wonder Woman more family friendly so make sure she doesn't kill anybody"

"We haven't decided on who we want to cast for Iris so don't put in the Iris scene"

"Superman said Do You Bleed so you need to reshoot the farm scene where they say he talked again for the first time. Ms Diane Lane is not available."

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

If Whedon didn't suck so much as a person I might be willing to be a bit more lenient on some of the decisions he made given the circumstance, but he does suck so screw him.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Yeah without the toxicity Zack Snyder would be a director's name that I knew and followed and enjoyed like Dennis Villeneuve but don't really discuss much. If people constantly made bad faith criticism of DV and poo poo I would be in the Villeneuve Cube or whatever the thread was called.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I have to sound off on Wonder Woman and how she vaporized that bomber/shooter early in the movie.
That little girl who wants to be like her when she grows up, right after seeing that righteous violence play out, is gonna be UNSTOPPABLE.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

And you know what? She CAN grow up to be like Diana. Batman already invented the gauntlets.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Plus they changed things for continuity to other films.

"We're not doing a British accent and she's wearing a red with in Aquaman now so reshoot those scenes. Also Vulko looks different and we can't get him for reshoots anyway so cut those parts."

"We're gone make Wonder Woman more family friendly so make sure she doesn't kill anybody"

"We haven't decided on who we want to cast for Iris so don't put in the Iris scene"

"Superman said Do You Bleed so you need to reshoot the farm scene where they say he talked again for the first time. Ms Diane Lane is not available."

It's so loving weird that they changed Lois's line from "you spoke" to "you smell good". Like at first I thought "oh, they changed it because Whedon had him speak in the memorial fight" but... they could have just cut that bit of the scene out entirely. Just have him say "this is home" and cut to them walking in the house. Instead they ADRed another line in to make it into a dumb joke??????

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Perhaps the only true flaw of the movie is that Antifa Schoolgirl doesn’t show up in the knightmare holding a sword.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

A friend of mine had never watched any of the DC stuff; he's a nerd but not a huge comics guy and I think had heard enough people criticize the Snyder stuff that he just wasn't motivated. So I got him to watch Man of Steel with me and he instantly noticed things like the exploded moon in the background of the Krypton scene, and was just straightforwardly happy about the way the church scene used the stained glass window imagery. I mean I'm certainly like, encouraging him to be positive about stuff, but he got pretty seriously excited about watching BvS and Justice League soon... feels good to get this kind of response from a normal person.

I think there's a kind of shift where a lot of normies finally got exhausted by the sheer number of Marvel movie/tv things so the idea of only having to watch three movies is pretty appealing in a different way.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

thrawn527 posted:

It's neat to see how photographs can change in mood/tone when you strip them of color. Especially when images are super contrast-y, which Snyder's work typically is, and ZSJL most certainly is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Perhaps the only true flaw of the movie is that Antifa Schoolgirl doesn’t show up in the knightmare holding a sword.

It could even be Diana's sword.