Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Oh good, I’ve been debating whether to start a new run or wait for the patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I'm so hyped now, can't wait for the release a year from now.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
It's absolutely going to release on April 1st just to gently caress with everyone.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Can you play a pirate in base Starsector? I don’t even remember anymore.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Vengarr posted:

Nope, but there are mods for that.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

You can play a pirate in the sense of "raid convoys, sell your proceeds to the people you just starved" in the base game, though.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Vengarr posted:

Yeah, you can do a pirate run. I don't think they offer a commission in vanilla but you can absolutely grind them into liking you and go nuts on the rest of the sector.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Both the Path and Pirates can eventually like you enough to not attack in vanilla. This actually works quite well to weaken the other major factions as it can give the pirates/path higher quality ships and better stability if they have free access to your colony markets.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Vengarr posted:

In a previous version one of the starting backgrounds improved your starting standing with the pirates, but in the current version it seems like all the backgrounds start you as hostile.

You can still get your rep with them up via missions and trades though. Eventually they'll trust you enough to accept your help in fights. The hardest part is not taking bounties and avoiding fights that tank your rep, but it's doable.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Just be aware that fake emergency beacons and activating traps still spawns pirates that are hostile to you and if you have transponder on you will instantly go -50 with them if you were friendly with them.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Back Hack posted:

I'm so hyped now, can't wait for the release a year from now.

I'm so glad the release is being timed with the easing up of graphics card availability.

stopgap1
Jul 27, 2013
I am looking forward to the changes, not having to hang around my colonies while they build up all the time would be lovely.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
David just posted this on the game forums:

quote:

Not really. For 1.0 I'd like there to be ways to get some insight into each faction and associated characters via narrative missions, but for this update we went more depth than breadth, I feel, so we could tell a story that gets to a place that feels it's at a natural stopping-off point.

I definitely found this interesting because it's the opposite of what I expected - I was thinking lots of side quests, but it sounds like we're getting act 1 of the "main quest"? I'll be very interested in seeing how that feels in this game.

I'm thinking it's weeks, not months, away.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
It always seems that when Alex posts final pre-update patchnotes (which he has done) the update itself drops pretty quickly. I'd feel pretty confident betting on sometime before May.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Gobblecoque posted:

I'd feel pretty confident betting on sometime before May.

But which year? :q:

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Its gotta be pretty soon, he's drafting the tweet

https://twitter.com/amosolov/status/1374451098056978441

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tease of a corner of one of the new endgame threat ships then, going by the particle effects.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Still wish he'd turn off that blinding light on capital kills by default. Or have it as a toggle.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I don't mind it on caps but its really annoying on smaller ships

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I think one of the GraphicsLib settings lets you tone down or remove the explosion flash.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Remember to set it again when the patch drops

Starsector\starsector-core\data\config\settings.json > "enableShipExplosionWhiteout":false,

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
I'm gonna be so tempted to go to graphics/ships and check out the new ships before I see them in game, but I think I'll resist.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

Remember to set it again when the patch drops

Starsector\starsector-core\data\config\settings.json > "enableShipExplosionWhiteout":false,

Gah, thanks!

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Was there ever a patch last year?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Last update was May 20, 2019

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Rynoto posted:

Last update was May 20, 2019

Oof.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Otoh, each patch is practically as much content as an expansion pack or standalone sequel in most games

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

OctaMurk posted:

Otoh, each patch is practically as much content as an expansion pack or standalone sequel in most games

I just got used to the yearlyish patch :(

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Otoh I don’t mind less frequent, more substantial patches, I get kind of low-key annoyed how some games on steam seem to have a tiny update every couple of days. It’d be even more annoying for a game like starsector where you do t have auto updates and have to dl manually

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Yeah, this game has given me so much entertainment, when a new patch drops I'll play for a few weeks, then a few months later when all the mods update I'll dive in for another few weeks. Cycle repeats 1.5 to 2 years later.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I don't mind the slow pace, especially since it's really the only thing about this game that it's even possible to complain about. Every update is huge and always a straight-up improvement on the previous version.

Shyrka posted:

Yeah, this game has given me so much entertainment, when a new patch drops I'll play for a few weeks, then a few months later when all the mods update I'll dive in for another few weeks. Cycle repeats 1.5 to 2 years later.

:yossame:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Each version of the game is basically a complete game by itself and every year or two you just get another big chunk of game slapped on it.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
It's gotta be close to moving on to the next stage though, I'm sure. The posts and discussions he's been posting have mostly been about the gameplay being finalized with this last drop being mostly the last big tweak to mechanics as well as a chunk of the actual plotline.

I'm very optimistic to see the game's performance once it goes live and/or EA with a beta. It's great but it's definitely niche right now.

stopgap1
Jul 27, 2013
I would love to see this game getting further development, the world he has created even in early access is very compelling. I can't make myself play until the update... which is kinda a bummer.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
https://twitter.com/amosolov/status/1375133486198177792

:worship:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Hot drat

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

stopgap1 posted:

I would love to see this game getting further development, the world he has created even in early access is very compelling. I can't make myself play until the update... which is kinda a bummer.

I feel ya. I'm holding myself back with Hardspace:Shipbreaker because they've got a pretty meaty update coming fairly soon, and I'd like to have a nice fresh set of eyes on it rather than wearing myself out a bit on the current version. Starsector has a bit more length of play for me, so I don't feel I burn out on it very quickly. Plus, the change between old and new is going to be pretty big for this game, Hardspace will be different but the delta is much smaller.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Aw poo poo

Who's gonna post a weird food faux pas in the runup to release this time I wonder

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

hotdogs are a sandwich

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Only 660 to go.