Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

mediaphage posted:

this thing should be built like a horse feedbag. straps around your neck, a sensor measures the distance from burrito edge to your mouth so it's always within biting range

oh, like the alameda-weehauken burrito tunnel!

That article is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

therattle posted:

That article is amazing.

honestly it's one of my favourite things on the internet

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

ummm... does anyone know how long it takes for Raid Wasp and Hornet spray to be rain-safe? Because the can doesn’t say, and neither does Google.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

You shouldn't spray that on your grill.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Fartington Butts posted:

You shouldn't spray that on your grill.

You’re right, you must never spray it directly on your grill: you spray the steaks, then put them on the grill, otherwise they stick.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

I. M. Gei posted:

ummm... does anyone know how long it takes for Raid Wasp and Hornet spray to be rain-safe? Because the can doesn’t say, and neither does Google.

All I know is that on one hot, sweaty day I accidentally sprayed a bunch of this on my hands and also breathed in a bit. I was sick for 2 days.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

it's a neurotoxin, don't eat it

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Especially not if you’re a white Anglo Saxon Protestant

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My girlfriend bought some sort of sprouted whole grain bread (I think that’s what she called it) and when she finally opened it it smelled like alcohol or acetone or possibly both. What happened?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

My girlfriend bought some sort of sprouted whole grain bread (I think that’s what she called it) and when she finally opened it it smelled like alcohol or acetone or possibly both. What happened?
Fermentation.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Yeast and starch/sugar can make ethanol/acetone I think but I don't have a good enough grasp on it to be able to describe it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SubG posted:

Fermentation.

I mean yeah I assumed that but what’s the likely mechanism? Wild yeasts? And did the sprouted grains contribute in some way that in sprouted (?) grains would not have?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

they may have just bagged it hot, too, i suppose. one of the major smells of baking bread is the alcohol being driven off.

it could also just be mouldy

the sprouted grains themselves won't be doing anything; they sprout the grains, dry them, then grind them into flour

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

when she finally opened it it

How much time passed between buying it and opening it

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

mediaphage posted:

they may have just bagged it hot, too, i suppose. one of the major smells of baking bread is the alcohol being driven off.
And/or the dough was over-yeasted.

And there's the possibility that it fermented again after baking, either from a fraction of the yeast surviving baking or subsequent contamination from the environment. I guess you could try making prison kvass/pruno using a slice of the bread to find out.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Apparently she purchased it 10 days ago and it’s some healthy stuff so it’s got no preservatives or poo poo. Was probably decent bread 9.5 or 10 days ago. It seemed soft still so I assume it was bagged in a way that kept air out. And moisture in. Bagged hot could well be a culprit.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

The name I used to dance under

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
For things like that I'm a fan of slicing (if not already sliced) and freezing it. A trip through the toaster both toasts and defrosts it and bread freezes like a champ.

If you want it untoasted for sandwiches or whatever just get a few slices out and leave them at room temperature for a bit, bread also defrosts like a champ.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Apparently she purchased it 10 days ago and it’s some healthy stuff so it’s got no preservatives or poo poo. Was probably decent bread 9.5 or 10 days ago. It seemed soft still so I assume it was bagged in a way that kept air out. And moisture in. Bagged hot could well be a culprit.

10 day old bread with no preservatives kept in a tight bag

i'm almost certain you're smelling mould

angerbeet posted:

For things like that I'm a fan of slicing (if not already sliced) and freezing it. A trip through the toaster both toasts and defrosts it and bread freezes like a champ.

If you want it untoasted for sandwiches or whatever just get a few slices out and leave them at room temperature for a bit, bread also defrosts like a champ.

yea if you're gonna have toast there's basically zero loss in quality, if you want to eat it as bread you get staling equivalent to a day or two after you warm it up, it's overall a good way to go and better than keeping it in the fridge imo

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

So Merlot isn't a type of wine I love, like, at all, but it's my most affordable option at the moment, so I've decided to stick it out and learn to like it. What flavors and spices and whatnot am I supposed to pair with the fruitier, sweeter kinds of Merlot?

I've been spending the last year drinking and learning more about wine in general, but I'm still pretty amateurish.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

mediaphage posted:

10 day old bread with no preservatives kept in a tight bag

i'm almost certain you're smelling mould

It’s just weird there is no visible mold. It really smells like *something* is fermenting. Never encountered it.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Blue Labrador posted:

So Merlot isn't a type of wine I love, like, at all, but it's my most affordable option at the moment, so I've decided to stick it out and learn to like it. What flavors and spices and whatnot am I supposed to pair with the fruitier, sweeter kinds of Merlot?

I've been spending the last year drinking and learning more about wine in general, but I'm still pretty amateurish.

If you're just buying whatever's cheapest then you're not going to find much to enjoy or learn from. Pairings shouldn't really be your first priority when getting into wine, and I really dislike the weird cultural significance of wine pairings because you can for the most part just drink a good quality wine with any kind of food and have an enjoyable time.

That being said, have you picked up any books on the subject? There are a few easy recommendations to make that could give you the foundations much better than a forum post could.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

It’s just weird there is no visible mold. It really smells like *something* is fermenting. Never encountered it.

I've definitely encountered that in "health food" bread and yeah it's probably just extra yeasts.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

angerbeet posted:

If you want it untoasted for sandwiches

Or this will lead to making all your sandwiches with toast, and dramatically improving them

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I store my sandwich bread in the fridge. It goes stale, but I always toast my bread before eating it whether it’s with just butter or a full on sandwich, and roasting it makes it seem good as new. Grocery bread seems to last several months, even if it gets alarmingly wet from condensation

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I keep my bread for toast in the fridge too. Anything bready that isn't going to get eaten within a few days goes in too during the humid months here or gets frozen.
I've had bread go mouldy overnight from the day I bought it during hot humid Sydney summers

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

I store my sandwich bread in the fridge. It goes stale, but I always toast my bread before eating it whether it’s with just butter or a full on sandwich, and roasting it makes it seem good as new. Grocery bread seems to last several months, even if it gets alarmingly wet from condensation

calcium propionate is basically magic

imo as mentioned it’s fine for toast and roasting it will refreshen it though i find that to be temporary

in fairness though i bake all our bread and the only dough conditioner i use on a semi regular basis is like ascorbic acid.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

prayer group posted:

If you're just buying whatever's cheapest then you're not going to find much to enjoy or learn from. Pairings shouldn't really be your first priority when getting into wine, and I really dislike the weird cultural significance of wine pairings because you can for the most part just drink a good quality wine with any kind of food and have an enjoyable time.

That being said, have you picked up any books on the subject? There are a few easy recommendations to make that could give you the foundations much better than a forum post could.

Fair enough on the quality thing lol. I haven't read any books or anything, no. I worked in a hotel for a couple years recently, so I picked up general "rules of thumb" from other workers and waiters so I wouldn't come across as a complete dummy in front of customers, but I wouldn't feel confident outside of super basic things. Do you (or anybody else) have any texts they'd like to recommend?

I've been lucky enough to end up in a town that has a vineyard nearby that grows all their own grapes in-state, which is pretty novel considering that it's in a high desert climate. So--back when I had more income--I've enjoyed trying those for that factor alone, even though they're maybe a little too dry and acidic for my current palate. Does anyone have any local spirits they'd like to recommend? I find the geographical aspect of liquor culture very fun.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Blue Labrador posted:

Fair enough on the quality thing lol. I haven't read any books or anything, no. I worked in a hotel for a couple years recently, so I picked up general "rules of thumb" from other workers and waiters so I wouldn't come across as a complete dummy in front of customers, but I wouldn't feel confident outside of super basic things. Do you (or anybody else) have any texts they'd like to recommend?

I've been lucky enough to end up in a town that has a vineyard nearby that grows all their own grapes in-state, which is pretty novel considering that it's in a high desert climate. So--back when I had more income--I've enjoyed trying those for that factor alone, even though they're maybe a little too dry and acidic for my current palate. Does anyone have any local spirits they'd like to recommend? I find the geographical aspect of liquor culture very fun.

I found it interesting that you said that merlot was affordable. That struck me as unusual. Where I am (UK) you can get pretty much every grape at every price point. Why is merlot particularly cheap where you are?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I’ve been trying to work in a pun about the price being more low, but I don’t think it works

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

I’ve been trying to work in a pun about the price being more low, but I don’t think it works

You were right. It doesn't. It would have been a pinotful joke. Not a barolo laughs. Me, on the other hand: I rosé to the occasion. I am sauternes to take advantage of any situation to make terrible puns. it is one of the things that makes me so soave and dapper.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

:golfclap:

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Blue Labrador posted:

If it's the Pahrump Winery, good for you supporting them but I thought they had a ways to go before being worth a re-visit. My last trip was a long time ago, though. Maybe they've improved.

I don't have any book suggestions offhand, but I'd recommend getting to know your local wine shops. Most shops of all sizes do free tastings - Total and other big shops are sponsored, while smaller shops just try to drag in customers. The most important thing to know about wine is what you like, and the best way to learn that is to drink a lot of different wines. Check around for shops doing wine classes as well. My local does (or did, pre-Covid, with plans to restart soon) weekly wine classes that are essentially guided tastings. I became a regular there, and along with some sweet friends-and-family discounts, I got to taste six or more wines every week for years. I'm a long way from being a wine expert, but I'm usually comfortable with a restaurant wine list. And I can pick something out on the shelves of a big wine shop without rolling the dice on getting the one employee on the floor who actually knows anything.

Reading about wine is cool and interesting (especially if you love Napoleonic law and geology), but won't do as much for your enjoyment as just drinking more wine. Especially at first.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Pahrump Valley is a bunch of racist chuds. gently caress them and gently caress their lovely wine.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Ah. Well, that's a shame. Vegas Valley Winery is a bunch of cool people, but they bring in grapes from South America, South Africa, and California for most of their stuff. They do some Nevada apple ciders that are great, though.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

therattle posted:

I found it interesting that you said that merlot was affordable. That struck me as unusual. Where I am (UK) you can get pretty much every grape at every price point. Why is merlot particularly cheap where you are?

Honestly it's really weird. There's a mom & pop corner store near me that has a broader selection of cheaper wines, and for some reason the merlots are all a little bit less expensive than the others. It's only around $5 or so less at most--so it's not wild or anything--but I can get behind penny pinching when I can.

bartolimu posted:

If it's the Pahrump Winery, good for you supporting them but I thought they had a ways to go before being worth a re-visit. My last trip was a long time ago, though. Maybe they've improved.

I don't have any book suggestions offhand, but I'd recommend getting to know your local wine shops. Most shops of all sizes do free tastings - Total and other big shops are sponsored, while smaller shops just try to drag in customers. The most important thing to know about wine is what you like, and the best way to learn that is to drink a lot of different wines. Check around for shops doing wine classes as well. My local does (or did, pre-Covid, with plans to restart soon) weekly wine classes that are essentially guided tastings. I became a regular there, and along with some sweet friends-and-family discounts, I got to taste six or more wines every week for years. I'm a long way from being a wine expert, but I'm usually comfortable with a restaurant wine list. And I can pick something out on the shelves of a big wine shop without rolling the dice on getting the one employee on the floor who actually knows anything.

Reading about wine is cool and interesting (especially if you love Napoleonic law and geology), but won't do as much for your enjoyment as just drinking more wine. Especially at first.

Thanks for the tips! I had no idea that it was common for shops to offer that kind of thing. And I actually live in the other side of the state up north in Reno, and there's a Minden winery named "Basin and Range" whose stuff is in shops here. Idk anything about their personal politics or anything, but they advertise themselves as 100% Nevada grapes, so that's where I got that from.

Blue Labrador fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 25, 2021

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Local Reno wines are traditionally made with California grapes (posting from Reno rn actually, since I still live here part time.). There's a place on 4th street called Great Basin that gets their grapes from Amador County, which is the traditional way wine was made here. The old Italian and Basque families used to make all of their own wine, you see, and they would organize big convoys to go over the sierras during the crush to pick up grapes and bring them back.

Northern Nevada is really tough for grapes though due to the cold winter and short season, never mind the aridity. Some growers have had luck with riesling but that's about it. I've been involved with several local growing attempts both privately and at UNR, and it's just never become commercially viable.

However, since you live in Reno and are looking for inexpensive wine, I can easily suggest Trader Joe's and Total Wine for lots of options at your price point. The locally owned places like Whispering Vine are great, but they don't really do inexpensive wine. Also, there's a wine special (like an all-night happy hour) at Royce on Wednesday nights if you just want to try a glass or two of something new.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Blue Labrador posted:

Windows on the World by Kevin Zraly is a pretty foundational wine text. I took a Level 1 Sommelier class a few years ago and the curriculum for it was almost identical to that book. I'd recommend it to anyone wanting to get into wine. Beyond that there's a wealth of knowledge available for whatever particular aspect appeals to you, so try a bunch of different stuff and see what speaks to you. And definitely do get to know your local wine shops, those people love to talk about wine and get people engaged.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Local Reno wines are traditionally made with California grapes (posting from Reno rn actually, since I still live here part time.). There's a place on 4th street called Great Basin that gets their grapes from Amador County, which is the traditional way wine was made here. The old Italian and Basque families used to make all of their own wine, you see, and they would organize big convoys to go over the sierras during the crush to pick up grapes and bring them back.

Northern Nevada is really tough for grapes though due to the cold winter and short season, never mind the aridity. Some growers have had luck with riesling but that's about it. I've been involved with several local growing attempts both privately and at UNR, and it's just never become commercially viable.

However, since you live in Reno and are looking for inexpensive wine, I can easily suggest Trader Joe's and Total Wine for lots of options at your price point. The locally owned places like Whispering Vine are great, but they don't really do inexpensive wine. Also, there's a wine special (like an all-night happy hour) at Royce on Wednesday nights if you just want to try a glass or two of something new.

My family grows wine grapes in amador county

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

prayer group posted:

Windows on the World by Kevin Zraly is a pretty foundational wine text. I took a Level 1 Sommelier class a few years ago and the curriculum for it was almost identical to that book. I'd recommend it to anyone wanting to get into wine. Beyond that there's a wealth of knowledge available for whatever particular aspect appeals to you, so try a bunch of different stuff and see what speaks to you. And definitely do get to know your local wine shops, those people love to talk about wine and get people engaged.

Seconding Windows on the World. It’s very direct and with very little elitism, just excitement. Great resource. If you want the opposite- flowery and intense, narrative-driven info about wine check out The Wine Bible.

TJs has pretty decent cheap wine. Other sub $10 red brands I like are Bogle and Honoro Vera.

Try other stuff if you don’t like merlot! There’s a wine for everyone :)