Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

The MM Martha scene is the only thing I would change.

Other than that it's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Doom2020! posted:

This is going to sound weird but I promise I am not trolling. I don't think Leto is THAT bad.
The epilogue was better than SS but it also hewed closer to tradjoker. There's just a hint of trying too hard that keeps it from being good.

The SS interpretation was an apt update but I think people loving hate mumblerappers and their dumb face tattoos so it didn't land. That and his relationship with Harl just made him slimy.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

FilthyImp posted:

The epilogue was better than SS but it also hewed closer to tradjoker. There's just a hint of trying too hard that keeps it from being good.

The SS interpretation was an apt update but I think people loving hate mumblerappers and their dumb face tattoos so it didn't land. That and his relationship with Harl just made him slimy.

it was insanely popular, just not with online nerds. similarly, mumble rap, and the insane clown posse, are very popular

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

AccountSupervisor posted:

Its super subtle and they almost look like blindfolds but given the tank and Snyders love of TDKR its almost certainly mutants.

Ahh yeah they were in the tank headlights,good eye.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I didn't mind the design of Leto's SS Joker; it seemed obvious that he was supposed to come off a bit more "pathetic but eccentric criminal" than "clown prince, genius nihilist" (The stupid "oh man he's method acting! He's so Twiztid!" advertising trash, in retrospect, helped contribute to that vibe.) and that was AOK because it's not his movie.

I disliked him a lot more here; I found the entire epilogue really gratuitous (and not in a very fun way at that), and while it's cool to have a nod to Suicide Squad in what will probably be the swan song of the Snyder era, having him look and act different but be played by the same actor is weird. Why not go for a less problematic actor if you're going to do that?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Man this movie already looked really good in 4k but the justice is gray version also looks amazing. Good stuff if you have an OLED

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
It's really hard to judge Leto because of how on the nose and fan fiction-y Batman and Joker's dialogue is. But his performance kind of reminded of Walter Goggins.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Watching the gray edition right now and oddly some things are actually having more clarity then the color version.

Like I thought Lex in the ship looked super fake and looked completely dry in a pool of water, but in the morning here I could tell his suit was actually soaking wet.

God drat how did WB not see Lord of the Rings was the loving move to make with superhero movies.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Watching the gray edition right now and oddly some things are actually having more clarity then the color version.

Like I thought Lex in the ship looked super fake and looked completely dry in a pool of water, but in the morning here I could tell his suit was actually soaking wet.

God drat how did WB not see Lord of the Rings was the loving move to make with superhero movies.

They had a completed and superior version of Infinity War a year before infinity war, and instead delayed it.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I'm unashamedly in love with the Leto Joker in this movie. It's loving amazing and downright creepy. I wish we could have more of it. I like how hosed up it actually is vs the garbage in SS.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Timeless Appeal posted:

It's really hard to judge Leto because of how on the nose and fan fiction-y Batman and Joker's dialogue is. But his performance kind of reminded of Walter Goggins.

I think a Walton Goggins Joker would have been amazing. He’s a great actor and so much fun to watch,

Also the Leto Joker while not iconic like his predecessors is fine. Leto may suck himself but his Joker gets piled on unecessarily. It’s a fine interpretation but I think there’s something not quite natural or there is something artificial about his performance or energy. The other actors seem to channel an almost innate charisma into their performance and Leto isn’t transcendent like them to make the character. Maybe its also because unlike the other films he’s not written to be the focus

I think Leto also has this problem with his other roles but his best one was Lord of War, he felt more genuine in that

Gatts fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Mar 26, 2021

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Vintersorg posted:

I'm unashamedly in love with the Leto Joker in this movie. It's loving amazing and downright creepy. I wish we could have more of it. I like how hosed up it actually is vs the garbage in SS.

I want to see that Joker back-to-back with Batfleck, guns blazing during a parademon ambush. Imagine that lunacy.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

thrawn527 posted:

Oh god, Ben Shapiro posted a review video of this? Like, can he stay out of poo poo like this? Or, like...everything?

What could he possibly have to say about this movie? I mean, I'm not curious enough to find out by granting him views, but the director's cut of a disliked tentpole release from 4 years ago is probably not worth whatever bullshit culture war non-point he has to make.

Doom2020! posted:

Watched the Whedon version also to compare and contrast and it is amazing how much more cohesive this movie is.

I pretty much chock any argument of the format, "actually they're both equally bad" to be contrarian for its own sake. It's not even a question that the Snyder cut is a better, more functional, more complete version of this story. Like, whatever complaints anyone has of Zack Snyder (rightly or wrongly), Joss Whedon's version is *awful*. Truly. It barely functions as a movie, and every change he made to Snyder's plan made things materially worse or at least more mundane and tedious.

I'm especially salty about Flash. In particular the Barry travels back in time to undo the Unity scene...it's loving art, literally one of the best "cinematic superhero moments" I've seen in years. It's an atrocity that Whedon jettisoned everything surrounding that scene to have Barry...push a truck fast? gently caress that movie.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I’m also sad Amber Herd is a poo poo person because I really liked her Mera in JL and I think she makes a good heroine physically. The armor looks good on her.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm genuinely curious about Shapiro's take on Cyborg redistributing some wealth but gently caress actually watching that video.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Gatts posted:

I’m also sad Amber Herd is a poo poo person because I really liked her Mera in JL and I think she makes a good heroine physically. The armor looks good on her.

Same. Her action scenes were great—dehydrating Steppenwolf :allears:

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

teagone posted:

Same. Her action scenes were great—dehydrating Steppenwolf :allears:

Live action bloodbending!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Gatts posted:

Also the Leto Joker while not iconic like his predecessors is fine. Leto may suck himself but his Joker gets piled on unecessarily. It’s a fine interpretation but I think there’s something not quite natural or there is something artificial about his performance or energy. The other actors seem to channel an almost innate charisma into their performance and Leto isn’t transcendent like them to make the character. Maybe its also because unlike the other films he’s not written to be the focus

I kind of like that the Leto Joker comes across as him being a bit artificial and tryhard. I feel like that goes with the interpretation of him as a lower-level gangster playing up his role in the crime world.

Nicholson Joker is fun but it always felt to me like it's just Nicholson being Nicholson more than anything. Always thought it was like a more manic version of his character from The Witches of Eastwick.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Xealot posted:

What could he possibly have to say about this movie? I mean, I'm not curious enough to find out by granting him views, but the director's cut of a disliked tentpole release from 4 years ago is probably not worth whatever bullshit culture war non-point he has to make.

I imagine he praises it for not being as SJW as a Marvel movie, though it is still SJW in places, like when Wonder Woman says "I belong to no-one". If he wants to get really incisive he might come out with some bullshit about how the three motherboxes combine to form the Unity, which obviously represents communism and Obamacare, and Cyborg asserting his rights as an individual is key to defeating it. This is the Superman you remember from your childhood, not the SJW Superman written by noted feminist and sexual abuser (but I repeat myself, haha) Joss Whedon. He says all this at 1.5x speed with the pitch-shift dial pointed to "Helium"

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm genuinely curious about Shapiro's take on Cyborg redistributing some wealth but gently caress actually watching that video.

I actually can imagine a possible conservative take on that scene being that Cyborg as an individual is rewarding that woman as an individual for being "worthy" of the money for putting in the effort, rather than Cyborg just changing the overall system to reward everyone.

I can also see an MMT argument being that Cyborg understands money is just a construct and therefore he's not stealing money from the bank, he's just making new money out of nothing for her.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Shaprio has no ideology. He'll say whatever to get people to pay attention to him. If he can be every phobic in the book, he will and what ever position that hurts minorities the most he'll promote. The trash claims to be libertarian but he was defending the monarchy two weeks or so ago.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
He's going to comment on it because it's a popular movie and he's in this for the money. Who cares what he says? I'm sure it will be vile. Y'all wanna hear what my parrots had to say about the newspaper under their cages?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

teagone posted:

I want to see that Joker back-to-back with Batfleck, guns blazing during a parademon ambush. Imagine that lunacy.

batman dangling joker off of the top of a burned out skyscraper as bait for the parademons and joker loving it and thinking it's hilarious.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
By the hand of the right writer, actor and performance a scene between Darkseid and Joker having a conversation could have been interesting. Say Phoenix’s Joker and Darkseid.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Chairman Capone posted:

I kind of like that the Leto Joker comes across as him being a bit artificial and tryhard. I feel like that goes with the interpretation of him as a lower-level gangster playing up his role in the crime world.

Nicholson Joker is fun but it always felt to me like it's just Nicholson being Nicholson more than anything. Always thought it was like a more manic version of his character from The Witches of Eastwick.
Batman '89 is good, but I want to live in the universe with Alec Baldwin Batman and Michael Keaton Joker.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Moving from Shapiro onto a more appealing note, a recent MTV interview involved Snyder praising Feige for what he accomplished, and I was interested on if he was just being diplomatic so I looked at a few interviews and he seems to genuinely think Marvel does a good job in the interviews I've seen;

quote:

“They’re doing, at the highest level, this popular action-comedy with a heart. And they have that nailed. An effort to duplicate that is insanity because they’re so good at it. What DC had was mythology at an epic level, and we were going to take them on this amazing journey.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/14/movies/zack-snyders-rough-and-tumble-ride-with-justice-league.html

Obviously "comic nerd likes comic movies" isn't that shocking, but it was nice to see that confirmed, especially with the enmity between the two fanbases.

Also, SambaTV is saying Justice League has hit 1.8 million views, over Falcon Winter's 1.7 million, which is great because that show's first episode was real bad.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 26, 2021

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Chairman Capone posted:

I loved the concept of Suicide Squad Joker. Trash gangster Joker is a great idea. Turning Joker and Harley into Die Antwoord is a great idea.

It's really just Jared Leto. Who I agree isn't "that bad," but I don't think I've ever felt like he disappeared into a role, despite some obvious pretensions to the contrary. He takes on these big, challenging roles, and makes these huge, scenery-chewing choices in service of them, and they always feel more like an impression of what a Great Actor would do than something that feels motivated by the character or situation.

Part of what made Heath Ledger's Joker good was the subtle, considered aspects of his performance. The lived-in mannerisms he chose, little reactions playing off other actors, etc. But Leto in SS doesn't seem to care about any of that. He gave me the sense that every line reading was another chance to go big and memorable, not because it served the scene or the character, but because he had to be the most interesting person in the room. I remember feeling the exact same way about him in Blade Runner 2049.

Xealot fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Mar 26, 2021

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It's also not bad for a kind of confusing project. 1.8 million views isn't bad at all and it looks like it penetrated into the marketplace.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Neurolimal posted:

Moving from Shapiro onto a more appealing note, a recent MTV interview involved Snyder praising Feige for what he accomplished, and I was interested on if he was just being diplomatic so I looked at a few interviews and he seems to genuinely think Marvel does a good job in the interviews I've seen;

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/14/movies/zack-snyders-rough-and-tumble-ride-with-justice-league.html

Obviously "comic nerd likes comic movies" isn't that shocking, but it was nice to see that confirmed, especially with the enmity between the two fanbases.

He has taken jabs at Marvel movies in the past, e.g., flavor of the week Ant-Man and what comes off as a semi-drunken rant about the MCU's brand of heroism being the equivalent of "living in loving a dream world" and also clapping back at the Forbes guy for commenting on a leaked ZSJL trailer saying his cape poo poo is for adults and isn't like your typical Saturday morning cartoons. There's probably more, but I think from a business perspective, you can't really deny the sort of insane sorcery Feige has done as a corporate overlord—you don't make the kind of money MCU poo poo generates by mistake, lol.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I don't think the "dream world" comment was about Marvel, as I recall he was talking about "Batman doesn't kill" as an objection to Batfleck

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Jimbot posted:

It's also not bad for a kind of confusing project. 1.8 million views isn't bad at all and it looks like it penetrated into the marketplace.
1.8 M for a 4 hour flick vs 1.7 for an hour pilot [or is it 30 minutes]? Seems impressive

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Detective No. 27 posted:

You know you want to

But here have a Mr. Sunday Movies take that's not Ben Shapiro but is an hour long!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mM0aGmuT13s&t=1s

Jimbot posted:

Shaprio has no ideology. He'll say whatever to get people to pay attention to him. If he can be every phobic in the book, he will and what ever position that hurts minorities the most he'll promote. The trash claims to be libertarian but he was defending the monarchy two weeks or so ago.
He absolutely has an ideology and it is a reactionary ideology

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

2house2fly posted:

I don't think the "dream world" comment was about Marvel, as I recall he was talking about "Batman doesn't kill" as an objection to Batfleck

Oh right, I may be misremembering that rant. I just remember it being fairly aggressive and it upset a lot of people (especially when I shared it in the BSS Movie thread, lmao).

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The United States posted:

You know you want to

I wonder if he realizes that he put the heroes on the left and the fascist villain on the right.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don’t see why Snyder would hate the MCU. They didn’t treat him like poo poo.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Most of the stuff Snyder has said about Marvel movie cape poo poo has been playful ribbing at best too, like the whole "THOR has a movie?!" thing, lol.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I wonder if he realizes that he put the heroes on the left and the fascist villain on the right.

In high-pitched, nasal-y voice: "The villain is on my left, the heroes are on my right."

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

He's going to comment on it because it's a popular movie and he's in this for the money. Who cares what he says? I'm sure it will be vile. Y'all wanna hear what my parrots had to say about the newspaper under their cages?

I would like to hear from your parrots.

teagone posted:

Oh right, I may be misremembering that rant. I just remember it being fairly aggressive and it upset a lot of people (especially when I shared it in the BSS Movie thread, lmao).

It was a reaction to a surprisingly common blind spot even very media savvy people have with regards to Batman. Even people who are canny and good at reading and thinking about the media they consume will react very strongly if it's ever pointed out that, at it's core, a lot of the Batman mythos is problematic and reactionary. Not that you can't tell a good story with him, but there's an underlying troubling aspect to him. Especially if you make him perfect. He never kills, he actually gets random goons jobs, he's necessary for gotham's safety or whatever. There's some underlying fascist fantasy to that version of him and it is a dream world.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
WW84 beat Snydercut in views for the first 3 days of availability on HBO Max.
https://deadline.com/2021/03/justice-league-snyder-cut-wonder-woman-1984-hbo-max-viewership-1234720662/
I feel like this is kind of obvious since one is a 4 hour R rated movie and the other is a 2.5 hour PG13 movie released on Christmas.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Spacebump posted:

I feel like this is kind of obvious since one is a 4 hour R rated movie and the other is a 2.5 hour PG13 movie released on Christmas.

Yeah, ZSJL dropped in the middle of a work week in March, lol. It pulling the numbers it has is kind of amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Justice League outperforming the competing Marvel show is the cherry on top of the massive L pie all the armchair industry experts are going to have to swallow