Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

The Mulit-Build beta that has rudimentary blueprints is also a real cool mod that I think someone already mentioned and I can attest it is pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh yeah I've been using it for ages and dysonsphereblueprints.com is starting to get a more robust list. Brokenmass again.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
The splitter over conveyors mod is super useful as well.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I haven't used it yet, but DistributeSpaceWarper just came out which adds a hidden slot to Interstellar Logistics and automatically handles all your warper needs(assuming you have warpers). Looks useful as heck.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Doing my best not to check external resources as much as possible until I'm satisfied with my mostly blind run. Just verifying a few things real quick.

• Despite having 12 potential belt channels, vanilla planetary logistics stations are capped at 3 items and only one direction for each, correct? Having not yet built an interstellar logistics station, are they additionally capped to only local or remote for a given item?
  • Did I miss any non-manual controls for interplanetary flight?

Finally got yellow bricks manufacturing slowly, just have to manually run the supply of titanium a little longer until I get the higher tier logistics stations installed and can shuttle it automatically. Committing a lot of design sins while figuring out DSP's quirks.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

SkyeAuroline posted:

Doing my best not to check external resources as much as possible until I'm satisfied with my mostly blind run. Just verifying a few things real quick.

• Despite having 12 potential belt channels, vanilla planetary logistics stations are capped at 3 items and only one direction for each, correct? Having not yet built an interstellar logistics station, are they additionally capped to only local or remote for a given item?

Finally got yellow bricks manufacturing slowly, just have to manually run the supply of titanium a little longer until I get the higher tier logistics stations installed and can shuttle it automatically. Committing a lot of design sins while figuring out DSP's quirks.

Planetary Logistic Stations have three items with either a Supply/Demand/Storage setting.
Interstellar Logistic Stations have five items with both a local Supply/Demand/Storage setting that the little drones will handle on the planet the station is on and a Remote Supply/Demand/Storage Setting that the big drones will handle moving between planets.

You can essentially treat a Interstellar station as a planetary station with more slots if you want. You don't even necessarily need to power one end of it. If you put an interplanetary on say, a titanium mine early, as long as the mines itself are powered and you're feeding the station the minerals set to remote supply, the station on your main planet will still retrieve the item in question.

Interplanetary flight is always manual. There is no automated function for it. I assume you're asking because it's annoying to do it manually, and it is. But it gets way easier down the road as your energy reserves go up so you can accelerate more before running out of energy, and finally you'll get green research followed by a practically endless supply of warpers which trivializes interplanetary flight.

Ice Fist fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Mar 26, 2021

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

SkyeAuroline posted:

The "one direction" only applies to the logistics drones and vessels, not the belts. You can belt in/out of a station that deals in an item regardless of its setting (supply, demand, or storage).

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Ice Fist posted:

Planetary Logistic Stations have three items with either a Supply/Demand/Storage setting.
Interstellar Logistic Stations have five items with both a local Supply/Demand/Storage setting that the little drones will handle on the planet the station is on and a Remote Supply/Demand/Storage Setting that the big drones will handle moving between planets.

You can essentially treat a Interstellar station as a planetary station with more slots if you want. You don't even necessarily need to power one end of it. If you put an interplanetary on say, a titanium mine early, as long as the mines itself are powered and you're feeding the station the minerals set to remote supply, the station on your main planet will still retrieve the item in question.
Neat. Naturally none of the stations that need power are on the planet where all my power generation is set up... but that's a problem for future me to deal with. I figured the replacement was a valid option. Good to know there's more options too. Extra cost worth it to just build those?

quote:

Interplanetary flight is always manual. There is no automated function for it. I assume you're asking because it's annoying to do it manually, and it is. But it gets way easier down the road as your energy reserves go up so you can accelerate more before running out of energy, and finally you'll get green research followed by a practically endless supply of warpers which trivializes interplanetary flight.
Yeah, you got it in one. With just the first two core + energy researches, even using energized graphite in the mech I near immediately run out of power and it just... doesn't regenerate fast enough for any maneuvering. Cue me forgetting that the controls for acceleration aren't something sane like Shift/Ctrl, but Shift/S instead, and knocking myself out of the intended path and close to 5 minutes late by the time my power had recovered, I got back on course, and landed as intended. The manual flight doesn't really add anything to the game whatsoever while being an annoying chore (that the lack of silicon and titanium "incentivizes" you to do before you have a mech that can really do it), so figured there had to eventually be a way around it. Ah well.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

SkyeAuroline posted:

Neat. Naturally none of the stations that need power are on the planet where all my power generation is set up... but that's a problem for future me to deal with. I figured the replacement was a valid option. Good to know there's more options too. Extra cost worth it to just build those?

Yeah, you got it in one. With just the first two core + energy researches, even using energized graphite in the mech I near immediately run out of power and it just... doesn't regenerate fast enough for any maneuvering. Cue me forgetting that the controls for acceleration aren't something sane like Shift/Ctrl, but Shift/S instead, and knocking myself out of the intended path and close to 5 minutes late by the time my power had recovered, I got back on course, and landed as intended. The manual flight doesn't really add anything to the game whatsoever while being an annoying chore (that the lack of silicon and titanium "incentivizes" you to do before you have a mech that can really do it), so figured there had to eventually be a way around it. Ah well.

imho, it was a good way to get a feeling for just how big the game was going to be. I could barely make it to my titanium planet, how am I going to reach other stars?! gotta get to work

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Let me ask a noob question.

By the time you get warpers, most of the tech tree is explored. What’s the point of other star systems? Is it just because you don’t have enough resources left in your home system by that point to fab enough widgets to assemble a sphere?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
The further you go out the systems contain many times the resources in your starting world

One system can have rare resources that eliminate whole assembly lines since you can replace a manufactured resource with it, or find a planet with 100% build area and several million of every resource

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Phanatic posted:

By the time you get warpers, most of the tech tree is explored. What’s the point of other star systems? Is it just because you don’t have enough resources left in your home system by that point to fab enough widgets to assemble a sphere?

Partly it's to prevent resource exhaustion, partly it's to let you get rare resources (like imagine just pumping sulfuric acid straight from the sea into a transport hub), and partly it's there because it's cool. It lets you build your own New Game Plus scenarios, starting the game over with all research completed and building a second sphere as fast as possible or whatever.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You can research the "win game" tech pretty handily in your own system but you probably want to import fire ice, sulfuric acid, and spinoform crystals to avoid oil processing knots.

A lot of people also shift their win condition to instead creating a full dyson sphere (you can pretty easily get enough white research for the "win" tech with a small dyson ring or even just sails) in which case the home system resources are entirely lacking.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Phanatic posted:

Here's me from three weeks ago

zoux posted:

I'm between purple and green science and I've never gone to another system, does something happen that requires a massive expansion of resources because I got everything covered pretty well with my home system so far

It makes a difference. Dyson spheres take massive amounts of resources. One thing that people may not realize is that star luminosity affects powergen for your Dyson stuff, you usually start around a star with <1 luminosity, while O types are between 2 and 2.5. LIke others said, you'll easily find 10m+ resource veins on other system worlds. I once found an ocean planet with probably 20 7+/sec oil seeps, rare resources replacing production chains, and just the logistical challenge of that kind of expansion.

Also, and idk if people play factorio like this, but I feel like I'm playing this more like minecraft than a factory game. You could pretty easily "win" the game in your home system or you can "win" the game by putting a dyson sphere around every star in your cluster like a psycho, it just depends on your goals.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

zedprime posted:

You can research the "win game" tech pretty handily in your own system but you probably want to import fire ice, sulfuric acid, and spinoform crystals to avoid oil processing knots.

A lot of people also shift their win condition to instead creating a full dyson sphere (you can pretty easily get enough white research for the "win" tech with a small dyson ring or even just sails) in which case the home system resources are entirely lacking.

Much like factorio, there's a stated objective, but that's only there to get you hooked. By the time you actually get there, you've refocused to the true objective: building more factory and making the number go up.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Phanatic posted:

Is it just because you don’t have enough resources left in your home system by that point to fab enough widgets to assemble a sphere?

It's this.

It's also because you're going to want to build the sphere in a reasonable time frame. So that's when you're like drat I need to turn entire worlds into factories.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Ice Fist posted:

It's this.

It's also because you're going to want to build the sphere in a reasonable time frame. So that's when you're like drat I need to turn entire worlds into factories for green motors.

Slight edit for accuracy. :v:

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

OH YEAH forgot one more. Is priority for sorters calculated a particular way? After figuring out why my off center sorters kept getting jacked up I've slowly started refactoring my base for more Factorio-style belt layouts (instead of the splitter abuse I had), but I still occasionally get weird quirks where I'll get, say, a mk1 storage with 3 inputs and 3 outputs, but one output never gets any material even if I dead-end its belt to guarantee anything that goes out that way remains visible and isn't used. This is mostly fine, except the time I found out that the starved output sorter was the one leading to my main power generator bank (that was an unpleasant cascade). What determines which sorters get materials first?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Alkydere posted:

Slight edit for accuracy. :v:

Just set up a 60/s green motor planet yesterday and I already think I need more :negative:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

SkyeAuroline posted:

OH YEAH forgot one more. Is priority for sorters calculated a particular way? After figuring out why my off center sorters kept getting jacked up I've slowly started refactoring my base for more Factorio-style belt layouts (instead of the splitter abuse I had), but I still occasionally get weird quirks where I'll get, say, a mk1 storage with 3 inputs and 3 outputs, but one output never gets any material even if I dead-end its belt to guarantee anything that goes out that way remains visible and isn't used. This is mostly fine, except the time I found out that the starved output sorter was the one leading to my main power generator bank (that was an unpleasant cascade). What determines which sorters get materials first?

yeah, the way a building decides which splitter to output to when it has more than one is either bugged or uses rules I don't understand

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I think I had it flip on me, or behave differently depending on whether I was present.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Clark Nova posted:

yeah, the way a building decides which splitter to output to when it has more than one is either bugged or uses rules I don't understand

I've mostly dealt with it by just not retiring the splitter-abuse layouts I already built (so at least the feed is consistent, if inefficient), but it is starving out some parts of my base. Plus when I do the usual factory game thing and use my starter planet to build a new, more optimal factory from its resources, I'd like to not gently caress up this time. Like taking about 8 hours to realize I actually could get sorters to not have weird angles or force a 2-long splitter even against adjacent belts, without resorting to splitting the feed to every single machine and dead-ending on it. That was egg on my face.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Ice Fist posted:

Just set up a 60/s green motor planet yesterday and I already think I need more :negative:

You always need more. Forever. Now back to work :whip:

This is why I hope an eventual megaproject is just a superfactory which accepts and exports hundreds or thousands of production that scales exponentially with power.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

SkyeAuroline posted:

I think earlier in the thread, someone found that with T-junctions, the line coming from the west or north (I don't remember the actual direction) always 'won' and went first rather than alternating from each input direction, so there might be something similar here. Probably just a quirk of the way actions are queued in the code.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Rynoto posted:

You always need more. Forever. Now back to work :whip:

This is why I hope an eventual megaproject is just a superfactory which accepts and exports hundreds or thousands of production that scales exponentially with power.

No joke, setting up my green motor factory yesterday was when I was like "goddamn blueprints sure would be nice" and went and installed the blueprints mod.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

Ice Fist posted:

No joke, setting up my green motor factory yesterday was when I was like "goddamn blueprints sure would be nice" and went and installed the blueprints mod.

I guess I'm going to need to move to the Blueprints mod. I don't really mind using Advanced Build Destroy (Destruct?) to place large numbers of buildings, but it irritates me that it won't tell you how many you're about to place when using the 'place multiple buildings' function.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ice Fist posted:

The only thing bad about it is plopping down a massive plan and then having to sit there for five minutes while your DUMBASS DRONES take their loving time setting it up. I don't really like the drone construction mechanic, especially if you forget you got some stuff being built and fly off and then you have to wait for your drones to find you because you sure ain't finding them

Ignoranus posted:

I guess I'm going to need to move to the Blueprints mod. I don't really mind using Advanced Build Destroy (Destruct?) to place large numbers of buildings, but it irritates me that it won't tell you how many you're about to place when using the 'place multiple buildings' function.

I'd recommend the BP mod but if you feel like you're being forced into it there's a mod that counts for you

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Manyorcas posted:

I think earlier in the thread, someone found that with T-junctions, the line coming from the west or north (I don't remember the actual direction) always 'won' and went first rather than alternating from each input direction, so there might be something similar here. Probably just a quirk of the way actions are queued in the code.

Oh, I noticed there's definite priority in terms of splitters - I mean offloading from a storage box. Since I'm not home with the game to screenshot it, have a sticky note drawing:

Two tier 2 belts with 3 tier 2 sorters each, feeding a box. (in this case it's smelted iron) The two belts get full consumption of the product they receive. There's also four belts leading out of it to different parts of my factory. Belts B and C always work, and I'm pretty sure Belt A (with the requisite 2-long sorter) also runs, but Belt D never receives a single item. The other sorters get prioritized and choke it out entirely.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
I'm not ashamed to admit that I've used logistics towers as just 12-way splitters.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

I'm not ashamed to admit that I've used logistics towers as just 12-way splitters.

in fact a storage box with splitters.

Import coal. Export coal, make graphene, import graphene, export graphene, make diamonds, import diamonds. And that just gets sent everywhere

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

They are extremely useful as storage/splitters. And when you are well into building your sphere, their cost is negligible so why not?
I have taken a break from the game, but my sphere around my home star is about 30% done, and just about all I have left to do is expand. Might put it down until there is more content but the game is excellent and I highly recommend it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The spaceports are too useful and cheap I think.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

euphronius posted:

The spaceports are too useful and cheap I think.

I don't think so. The infrastructure needed to produce their components is not at all trivial. You need yellow chips, particle containers and titanium alloy, not to mention you need to already be building the smaller version of it to feed into it. All of those have fairly significant requirements.

Also you're not just building the spaceports. You also have to manufacture the drones in significant numbers.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

not allowing two stacks of the same resource in the logistics towers is a pretty hard cap on their usefulness, it'd be awesome to have a 5 slot interstaller tower dedicated to receiving just iron on my maker planet for example, or a 5 slot tower hooked directly to 3 miners with belts

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Transitioning from the Spaghetti Factory to a ILT based multi-planet operation is one of the challenges and great features of the game. I like how there are definite stages to the game and how each step up expands the scope of the game by an order of magnitude.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

boar guy posted:

not allowing two stacks of the same resource in the logistics towers is a pretty hard cap on their usefulness, it'd be awesome to have a 5 slot interstaller tower dedicated to receiving just iron on my maker planet for example, or a 5 slot tower hooked directly to 3 miners with belts

Eh... just stack 8 big storage buildings next to it and feed it.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

boar guy posted:

I haven't really had a problem moving large amounts of ore out of a logistics tower due to the buffer size. I'd run out of drones before the buffer was an issue.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Do you guys use local/remote storage often or rarely?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Local storage is almost meaningless.

Remote storage can be useful to prevent non-optimum trips for duplicated production of stuff especially if you use exclusively interplanetary towers. But you can also make that meaningless by overproviding from optimum sources or setting logistic distance parameters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I sometimes use the storage option, but in my mind it’s a “keep me out of it” button. Don’t take my stuff, but I don’t need you to bring me any more.