Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Vintersorg posted:

Citation needed.

Rian had his vision and a lot of people didn't like it. They just fumbled the sequel completely not pleasing either side.

Sounds like BvS to Justice League to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
They're doing all this "multiverse" poo poo so I guess why not have some Snyderverse movies going on, they wouldn't need to cancel anything because they're more or less abandoning the idea of "canon" anyway

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I don't dislike JJ or anything, but people should stop letting him do masterplan mystery box plots.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

2house2fly posted:

They're doing all this "multiverse" poo poo so I guess why not have some Snyderverse movies going on, they wouldn't need to cancel anything because they're more or less abandoning the idea of "canon" anyway
I kind of wonder if the epilogue was a proof of concept that you could sort of skip the fall-of-Earth movie and do a relatively on the cheap version of his Mad Bats movie.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Mar 26, 2021

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

McCloud posted:

At best he was rushed to do TLJ and went with the first draft instead of polishing it up and removing the most glaring flaws

This really isn't true at all, and is kind of the opposite. Of all the Disney Star Wars movies, TLJ was the only one that wasn't rushed or compromised in any way, and it was the only one without writers and/or directors being fired partway through production, and it's one of the only Star Wars movies pre- or post-Disney to have the director as sole screenwriter (New Hope is the other one, if you include the uncredited script doctors who worked on TPM and ROTS). If you read the Art of TLJ book (which Johnson himself contributed to - the only time one of the directors or writers of the Disney movies did so) he goes into detail about the writing process and how from the first draft of the script, almost nothing changed to the shooting draft specifically because he got his vision down from the start and the higher-ups at Lucasfilm and Disney were fine with it.

Like TLJ or not, and regardless of how much interference there was in the other Star Wars movies, it absolutely wasn't the case that TLJ was interfered with. I mean, Johnson was even heavily involved in writing the movie's novelization. He shaped the entire narrative of TLJ in a way that even Abrams didn't get to do for TFA.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
TLJ is the best Star Wars film. Then the Prequels, then the OG trilogy. Force Awakens and RoS are the worst.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I think you absolutely need the JL2 film where the heroes are further along their personal goals but end in a low point.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Honestly after seeing what happened with Ray Fisher on this movie and seeing how they completely sideline John Boyega in Star Wars, I can almost guarantee that it was a racist higher up decision to just cut him or make him the character he ended up being

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

TLJ is great, it obviously suffered a lot from how scattershot TFA was with its mystery boxes and dangling plot threads and having to tie all this together into a coherent narrative but it did some really brilliant stuff with the characters and themes. I'm glad Rian's apparently still being given another chance to make his own Star Wars movie that isn't tied down to being a sequel.

ROS doesn't really have that excuse though. I've seen people try to claim that TLJ didn't leave any way to move the story forward but I call bullshit on that one. It shaved down a lot of the narrative fat and left a clear path forward for the story with Kylo Ren's rise to power and the resistance fleeing, beaten but not broken. They just simply didn't want to follow that path, they wanted more plot twists and big reveals and magical bloodlines.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Honestly after seeing what happened with Ray Fisher on this movie and seeing how they completely sideline John Boyega in Star Wars, I can almost guarantee that it was a racist higher up decision to just cut him or make him the character he ended up being

I really dont get what happened with Finn - even the first Force Awakens trailer makes it seem that Finn is both the main character and a Jedi

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Aidan_702 posted:

I really dont get what happened with Finn - even the first Force Awakens trailer makes it seem that Finn is both the main character and a Jedi

Finn was a bait and switch to try and make it surprising when Rey ends up being the real main jedi instead, because plot twists

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

TLJ is the BVS of Star Wars because any mention of it is guaranteed to derail the conversation

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
TLJ is a movie at war with itself at the best of times and really impossible to separate from its context despite how much it clearly, desperately wants to be.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Gatts posted:

TLJ is the best Star Wars film. Then the Prequels, then the OG trilogy. Force Awakens and RoS are the worst.

Alright.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkMWsO_-X7Y

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
i read somethnig - i think on this very forum - that raised the possibility that finn was the protagonist and rey the sidekick, which was changed in editing and reshoots. we know that TFA had some big changes made to it during production (constable zuvio, for one) and the infamous shortage of rey action figures makes more sense when hasbro didn't produce enough to cover the protagonist because she wasn't (much like how there were heaps and heaps of zuvio's. aside, finn also comes with a lightsaber which rey doesn't) it's unfortunate that we'll never get an honest account of the sequel film production because they seem to have been 'hectic' at best.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
TLJ ends with an interesting setup:
Ren is shown to be a hypocrite and liar (his throw the past away screed is only in service of his own power), Rey is set on a path of personal training without dogma or a teacher, and the Rebels are shown that their traditional insurrection has no support.

But that leads you to a bunch of potentially great stuff. Rey struggling while developing her own philosophy (more grey? More rooted in actual teachings instead of dogma?), Ren increasingly isolated due to his being obsessed with Rey to the detriment of his war machine, the rebels fighting an ideological war instead of a traditional battle-based fight.

Instead they went with..ugh

Aidan_702 posted:

We can't have a black guy get with the white lady.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Augus posted:

Finn was a bait and switch to try and make it surprising when Rey ends up being the real main jedi instead, because plot twists

tbh I thought they were both going to be jedi/Force sensitive because wouldn't that be neat

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

McCloud posted:

TLJ is the BVS of Star Wars because any mention of it is guaranteed to derail the conversation

TLJ wishes it was as good as BVS

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

let's make the two ambitious and contentious blockbuster sequels fight each other

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

2house2fly posted:

Only a third of TLJ is boring, as opposed to all of it, making it the superior film

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I haven't seen the ultimate extended directors cut of BvS, but that film landed solidly on the 50% of it is very good and 50% of it is very bad which kinda washes out into a very meh confusing experience. Like great job with a bunch of the visuals, the opening Batman scene is amazing in the row house. But then you get a sequence where Lex has made logos for heroes and put all his info on them in a loving folder for Bruce and Diana to stumble across so we can introduce the JL in a painful exposition info dump.

Are the adjusted versions really as much an improvement as this cut was over the theatrical? I can't see that being the case but I'd revisit it if the adjusted cuts fix some of the obviously stupid poo poo in it.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

RBA Starblade posted:

Only a third of TLJ is boring, as opposed to all of it, making it the superior film

BvS Ultimate is loving brilliant start to finish.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Augus posted:

let's make the two ambitious and contentious blockbuster sequels fight each other kiss

I changed my mind, make love not war

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Vintersorg posted:

BvS Ultimate is loving brilliant start to finish.

I watched the theatrical cut in theaters, it wasn't

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

RBA Starblade posted:

I watched the theatrical cut in theaters, it wasn't

Ultimate never went to theaters. So cool job bro!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Vintersorg posted:

Right, I'm not talking about the film I didn't see. I'm talking about the one I did!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

RBA Starblade posted:

Right, I'm not talking about the film I didn't see. I'm talking about the one I did!

Yeah, that one stinks because ..... surprise suprise .. Warner Brothers butchered the loving thing.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

2house2fly posted:

I mean, you're not wrong! But the analogy still holds

RBA Starblade posted:

It was never boring. It was however as someone eloquently put it, at war with itself.

Vintersorg posted:

:hmmyes:

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I haven't seen the ultimate extended directors cut of BvS, but that film landed solidly on the 50% of it is very good and 50% of it is very bad which kinda washes out into a very meh confusing experience. Like great job with a bunch of the visuals, the opening Batman scene is amazing in the row house. But then you get a sequence where Lex has made logos for heroes and put all his info on them in a loving folder for Bruce and Diana to stumble across so we can introduce the JL in a painful exposition info dump.

Are the adjusted versions really as much an improvement as this cut was over the theatrical? I can't see that being the case but I'd revisit it if the adjusted cuts fix some of the obviously stupid poo poo in it.

The UE adds like 30 minutes, most of which is about Clarks motivations for picking a fight with Batman, and Lois investigation into Lex's plot to frame Superman. It adds some context and makes explicit what the theatrical version heavily implied. If your major problem was Lex being weird then the UE probably won't help you there.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Detective No. 27 posted:

I don't dislike JJ or anything, but people should stop letting him do masterplan mystery box plots.

Does he even do those? Like other than Rey's parentage, most of his other stuff doesn't feature twist-reveals or even mysteries.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think where The Last Jedi and BvS are actually similar is that they allow certain heroes or anti-heroes to be wrong and in the case of The Last Jedi, straight up awful people. Batman becoming more violent* in the face of being emasculated by actual Gods is hitting on similar themes as the toxic masculinity explored in The Last Jedi.

The Last Jedi isn't at war with itself, it's just that people were sold on a toxic fascist's rants of "let the past die" as possibly a theme and then thought the movie was making a mistake when he turned out to be wrong.

*I feel like both Whedon and Snyder seemed aligned with an imagined past for Bruce that is more in-line with what we see in traditional comics. I think you get that with Robin being called the boy wonder or the wind up penguins.

Doom2020!
Dec 31, 2020

If you think this has a happy ending then you really haven't been paying attention

sethsez posted:

WW84 is easy and obvious to follow up on regardless of that specific movie's reception because Gal Godot's take on the character is widely liked, and she's the only person who really needs to commit to a sequel.

Meanwhile, Affleck has said he's not interested in doing Batman anymore and the Ray Fisher situation is... tense to say the least, so even if they were willing to spend the money a Justice League 2 would cost (which is significantly higher than Wonder Woman 3 would be, and less likely to guarantee a return on that investment) they might still see it as being more trouble than it's worth for non-Snyder reasons.

It'll be interesting to see what kind of legs this has. If streaming numbers remain high for a while, it might still have a shot.
I hope it does well as I'd like to see everyone come back. I know Affleck has personal stuff going on but a part of him saying no more has to be the mess that was making JL combined with everyone hating that movie. I know I would be hesitant if I was in his shoes. I am indifferent to Snyder in general but I kinda love that a movie that was so hosed over by Hollywood egos and shenanigans got a proper unfucking. Also like that this helps make Whedon look even more like an overrated douche. I like some of Whedon's stuff but gently caress that guy.

Also Ray Fisher is cool and hope he gets another movie to shine. Just hope they redesign the cyborg outfit. Doom Patrol's cyborg has this perfect retro and slightly cheesy outfit that just WORKS with him. Still think the JL one is a little too blatant CGI but not in a good way and more of a Green Lantern outtake way.

Xealot posted:

I loved the concept of Suicide Squad Joker. Trash gangster Joker is a great idea. Turning Joker and Harley into Die Antwoord is a great idea.

It's really just Jared Leto. Who I agree isn't "that bad," but I don't think I've ever felt like he disappeared into a role, despite some obvious pretensions to the contrary. He takes on these big, challenging roles, and makes these huge, scenery-chewing choices in service of them, and they always feel more like an impression of what a Great Actor would do than something that feels motivated by the character or situation.

Part of what made Heath Ledger's Joker good was the subtle, considered aspects of his performance. The lived-in mannerisms he chose, little reactions playing off other actors, etc. But Leto in SS doesn't seem to care about any of that. He gave me the sense that every line reading was another chance to go big and memorable, not because it served the scene or the character, but because he had to be the most interesting person in the room. I remember feeling the exact same way about him in Blade Runner 2049.

Good call. I felt his BR2049 guy was a bit better but still not as memorable as I felt the movie wanted him to be. Pretty much all of Leto's later work make me think they should just go all in with Leto and do a cult leader Joker if they wanted to use him as opposed to the gangster concept. Cesar Romero's "Clown Prince of Crime",Nicholson's "Jack Nicholson in makeup", Hamill's "Mr J", Ledger's "Agent of Chaos", Joaqin's "Travis Bickle has a bad day in the 70's"... they all brought a giant presence that went beyond their screens. Leto's never really grabbed me the same way, despite me not hating it. The JL apoc scene did more for me than SS but a big part of that might have been the dialogue. I still would like to see more but not sure how much he could bring. Cult leaders are usually full of shite wank pheasants that ooze surface charisma that brings in the gullible, damaged and desperate, but it's just an act to hide the person inside. Good version of this was a character called Jeremiah Sand in the movie Mandy (go see that movie). if the performance felt a bit like an act that could actually work in its favour. We haven't seen that in a Joker so it could be interesting and Leto could totally pull it off.

Now I want to watch Mandy again. That movie is awesome. Here's a trailer. Warning: Nic Cage!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI054ow6KJk

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The Notorious ZSB posted:

A lot of the "confused" nature is solved by adding in more connectivity; there was basically an entire plot removed where the African woman who makes the initial complain about Superman is just a paid actor by Lex, there's also a whole subplot where Clark looks into Batman more which adds more human moments to his character and gives him way more reason to be confrontational towards Batman. Also there were complaints about the theatrical having "abrupt" and confusing editing*, largely because they did have to make these cuts quick to squeeze into the timeframe WB mandated shortly before release, and that is fixed by the Ultimate edition. That said, there is a bit of additional bloat, and the core plot is still there, but it is a definite improvement (i.e. if you hated the Martha thing, or Batman shooting people, that's all still there).

* this aspect actually grew on me tbh, what they did was essentially bridge the "dreamlike" nature of the opening few scenes of the movie with the Knightmare scene about halfway through the film, so you get this scattered, dreamlike quality to the first half of the movie, up until Bruce has a nightmarish vision of the future and solidifies his plan to kill Superman, at which point things snap into a more "naturalistic" style. It's not perfect certainly, but IMO it was a brilliant solution by the editor being given a last minute mandate to cut 20+ minutes of a movie on the verge of being released

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Saw the The Suicide Squad trailer. Might be time to jump on that Ayer cut hashtag train.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I like TLJ, but I still kind of wish Rey had joined Ren in ruling FO. Pretty surprising twist, works as the low-point of the series, and you can go in a lot of fun directions with that.

We'll never, ever get it, but I'd love to see just what happened behind the scenes. I genuinely believe JJ/Rian/Colin had a plan, but Disney ripped it up because Colin directed a bad movie and 50% of nerds whined on twitter about TLJ.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

McCloud posted:

At best he was rushed to do TLJ and went with the first draft instead of polishing it up and removing the most glaring flaws

Rian actually had about a year longer to work on 8 than Abrams had to do either of his movies. It was still rushed, because every movie is, but definitely not a first draft.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
In BVS Bruce has the first nightmare scene that has Superman and also parademons and then the message from the Flash about how Lois is the key. And as Alfred points out in Justice League yeah absolutely Lois was directly involved in what goes down throughout BVS in a critical way. So that happens, and Bruce's faith in the world is restored and he understands Superman is the real deal because he sacrificed himself/etc. So then Justice League happens, and Bruce worries that the Lois is the key thing might have been referring to "something darker" and the Flash said he was too early/etc.

And we get that of course with Superman getting the black suit and Bruce continuing to dream about a slightly different but still lovely version of the future with despot Superman (and as some have observed you could interpret his beating down of Steppenwolf to be a little more brutal than expected, though personally I saw that as just Superman being relieved that this guy was nothing compared to Doomsday and that he was more ripping/beating the armor off of him than anything).

Anyway the lovely future stuff, since the absolute worst first version of the nightmare in BVS had parademons in it, was Darkseid going to relate to this? Like time travel shenanigans+Superman post-apocalypse future could easily be its own entire movie so that seems like it would have been a lot.

Was the final resolution going to be Batman/Flash getting a message back/accurate enough that BVS happens differently where he and Batman aren't at odds with each other so Superman's last moments aren't "Batman focusing his entire life on destroying me before I sacrifice myself," so that when he's resurrected he's not as violent? Like I doubt the entire story of what was specifically planned will be known for some time but if it was going to hinge on some degree of Bruce/Superman/Lois' faith in each other that would have been kind of cool.

Neurolimal posted:

I like TLJ, but I still kind of wish Rey had joined Ren in ruling FO. Pretty surprising twist, works as the low-point of the series, and you can go in a lot of fun directions with that.

We'll never, ever get it, but I'd love to see just what happened behind the scenes. I genuinely believe JJ/Rian/Colin had a plan, but Disney ripped it up because Colin directed a bad movie and 50% of nerds whined on twitter about TLJ.

Yeah I can't imagine none of the three had some kind of general arc or plan in mind even if Disney acts like there was none, I mean clearly there was none by the time finished products were being made but yeah.

I was surprised Rey didn't actually join Ren (or vice versa!). I like TLJ, but I think the praise it gets for shaking up the formula and stuff is a little exaggerated, it DOES shake things up in some fun ways but all it ends almost the exact same way it began. In the heat of the moment when I saw it for the first time I felt let down by that because it really would have been something that shakes up the story a lot.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Mar 26, 2021

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

And yet, game Blouses.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Robot Style posted:

Rian actually had about a year longer to work on 8 than Abrams had to do either of his movies. It was still rushed, because every movie is, but definitely not a first draft.

I stand corrected

Neo Rasa posted:

Was the final resolution going to be Batman/Flash getting a message back/accurate enough that BVS happens differently where he and Batman aren't at odds with each other so Superman's last moments aren't "Batman focusing his entire life on destroying me before I sacrifice myself," so that when he's resurrected he's not as violent? Like I doubt the entire story of what was specifically planned will be known for some time but if it was going to hinge on some degree of Bruce/Superman/Lois' faith in each other that would have been kind of cool.

From memory: The way time travel in the snyderverse works is that you can only jump back in time once a year when the earth is in the correct relative position in space, because you travel in time, but not space (this is obviously not accurate science because earth isn't just moving in its cycle around the sun, it's actually speeding across the galaxy at an astonishing speed, but w/e).

So apparently, the idea is that BvS > JL > Knightmare happens, Barry and Cyborg do their calculations and they have two options to pick from. Bruce asks them "Well which is your first choice? Ok, Don't go with that one because you already tried that and you came too early".

trying to untangle the time shenanigans in my head I parse it to at least three timelines.
BvS>JL>Knightmare because they picked the wrong time to jump back
BvS>JL>Knightmare where they pick the correct time to jump back which in turn leads to
BvS>JL> Lois not dying which leads to the "good" ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

lol