Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

DoubleDonut posted:

thanks for the recommendations, I'll check them out.

Christ, though. I've gone straight from "neither one particularly appeals to me" straight back to "actively wanting to die all of the time" again and it sucks. Partly I think I just need to stop working for the court but I'm not sure what else I could do besides get another degree. Getting an accounting degree might be reasonable but I'm scared to even make decisions anymore these days

I'm right there with you OP

My company may or may not be imploding and that, plus house hunting, plus my moms mental health collapsing has made getting out of bed every day insanely difficult.

I don't even think about "dying" necessarily, just being dead and the idea of having some semblance of peace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Chokes McGee posted:

Hell yeah. Good luck with the second part, I hope it goes well.

thank you! I really figured out "oh I don't actually want to die and I know my drinking is both physically and mentally contributing to that" this time around.

I still have time to turn it around physically but this is the first time I've asked for help. I'm nervous and know it'll be a ton of big changes in a lot of aspects but I want it.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Goth Odell Beckham posted:

I don't even think about "dying" necessarily, just being dead and the idea of having some semblance of peace.

Not that you need me to tell you this, but this is the first step down a very dark road that leads to hypersomnia/avoidance sleep and ends in a bad place. Is there a therapist you can reach out to (and afford)?

Consummate Professional posted:

thank you! I really figured out "oh I don't actually want to die and I know my drinking is both physically and mentally contributing to that" this time around.

I still have time to turn it around physically but this is the first time I've asked for help. I'm nervous and know it'll be a ton of big changes in a lot of aspects but I want it.

Well said. I gave up drinking about 7 years ago when I almost killed myself from alcohol poisoning on a company quarterly meeting. It wasn't until a year afterwards that I could admit I was an alcoholic binge drinker.

Good luck, and feel free to drop in with stories :)

Josherino
Mar 24, 2021

Consummate Professional posted:

You're allowed to ask for help - that's the best part. You're definitely on the right track , and maintaining that mindset is going to allow you to make the best out of every hurdle throughout your recovery.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I have a few issues (chronic depression, alcohol use/abuse, god knows what else) that I need to address but I'm waiting until my dad passes away to be able to take the time away from work to address them.

Or maybe I'll just go up for his funeral and then immediately go back to work because that's how this country works lol

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

e: Edited out by IK in accordance with SA's policies on suicide.

Somebody has issued a correction as of 20:45 on Mar 26, 2021

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Feeling really angry pretty much all the time RN, just getting pissed over the most trivial poo poo. I think it's growing old, plus some bad allergy/hay fever, and I'm suspecting that this is how CHUDs are made. I have some temptation to curl up into a ball of whining aggrieved self-pity and I'm constantly pulling back and telling myself to stop being so angry and hateful. I'm having trouble not thinking about how much humanity sucks and how much my race and country sucks. I'm just a whirling vortex of hatred and cynicism RN.

On a slightly healthier note, I think I've got a job in a bike shop starting next week. I'm sure it's no job for somebody my age but after being a court reporter for 15 years and being treated like pond scum by lawyers and judges just because they know they can get away with it, I just want to work with my hands and do something less ugly for a living. And no longer be called "boy" and "Madame Court Reporter" by old "southern gentlemen." Or listen to old sheriffs telling judges how Hillary needs to be locked up, and complaining about "Bomma."

petit choux has issued a correction as of 22:06 on Mar 26, 2021

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm so tired of the miserable nightmare my life has become. Brief moments of things being ok or being able to distract myself punctuated by gut punch after gut punch. I just want a few good days, I just want to feel secure or ok. I feel disgusting and fat and gross on top of it and I can't do anything about it. My button business died and hasn't gotten an order in months and I am a failure on every level possible and the only thing that stops me from killing myself is how much it would hurt my wife. I hate my life and I wish it were over and I don't want to do it all anymore. If our stimulus and tax return would just get here maybe we would be ok but it will very likely be multiple months before either does and when they do it'll just be a brief respite from abject poverty before it all bleeds away again. Posting this is probably dumb too and will probably get me in trouble somehow too but I am in the waiting room of the emergency vet for the thousandth time this month waiting to hear if my cat is going to die, again. AGAIN. Everything I was supposed to be in life, I'm not, every opportunity I ever had, I squandered and I don't think there's any hope of it ever getting better. I'm just a total failure on every conceivable level and I wish I was dead but I can't even be that because i have obligations to other people and my cats. I hate this, I hate myself , I wish I wasn't this pathetic sack if poo poo but I am

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

empty whippet box posted:

I'm so tired of the miserable nightmare my life has become. Brief moments of things being ok or being able to distract myself punctuated by gut punch after gut punch. I just want a few good days, I just want to feel secure or ok. I feel disgusting and fat and gross on top of it and I can't do anything about it. My button business died and hasn't gotten an order in months and I am a failure on every level possible and the only thing that stops me from killing myself is how much it would hurt my wife. I hate my life and I wish it were over and I don't want to do it all anymore. If our stimulus and tax return would just get here maybe we would be ok but it will very likely be multiple months before either does and when they do it'll just be a brief respite from abject poverty before it all bleeds away again. Posting this is probably dumb too and will probably get me in trouble somehow too but I am in the waiting room of the emergency vet for the thousandth time this month waiting to hear if my cat is going to die, again. AGAIN. Everything I was supposed to be in life, I'm not, every opportunity I ever had, I squandered and I don't think there's any hope of it ever getting better. I'm just a total failure on every conceivable level and I wish I was dead but I can't even be that because i have obligations to other people and my cats. I hate this, I hate myself , I wish I wasn't this pathetic sack if poo poo but I am

I feel you. Don't be so sad, you can't be more of a loser than me. :-) I've had one or two or more dumb business plans fall through and yet here I am fudging another one together. So oy, you are one of us. Don't loving bump yourself off because then there will be one less of us and we can use every one.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

skaboomizzy posted:

I have a few issues (chronic depression, alcohol use/abuse, god knows what else) that I need to address but I'm waiting until my dad passes away to be able to take the time away from work to address them.

this is also my situation, generally. ~15.5 hours of every day during the week are accounted for between taking care of my mother and work, and I spend the weekends catching up on sleep and also still taking care of my mother. I want to try transcranial magnetic stimulation but that's an hour a day 5 days a week and I just do not have time in the budget for it. I'd also like to rebuild some semblance of a social/dating life (will be fully vaxxed soon!) but again, no time, and even if I had time my life is so utterly boring and repetitive that I have nothing to say or talk about. all my interests have evaporated and all I want to do is sleep.

I'll be able to steal a few hours for myself on the weekend once or twice a month as the summer rolls around but basically gotta wait for my mom to shuffle off before I can make any substantial changes, and I'm not getting any younger. lol!

I don't think there's any hope of it ever getting better. I'm just a total failure on every conceivable level and I wish I was dead but I can't even be that because i have obligations to other people and my cats. I hate this, I hate myself , I wish I wasn't this pathetic sack if poo poo but I am

extremely same except for the cats

e: also you are still less of a loser than I am, if that provides any comfort (I know it probably doesn't)

Josherino
Mar 24, 2021

I can definitely sense how overwhelming things are for you when you articulate them the way you have. There were a few unique tricks throughout therapy that I absolutely hated - but learned to take advantage of later on when I became a Dad. The best one (It sounds weird, soft, and kinda cliche; don't get me wrong) was to figuratively and literally wiggle your toes in the morning. When I see you say, " - is how much it would hurt my wife" - that's huge to me. I can really sense how much of an important figure she is to you; clinging onto something like that can really mean the difference between a bad day, and an awful one.

I don't think anyone can promise better days, but we can definitely reach out to folks who are willing to carry these burdens with you.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
It's how all radicals are made, maybe. I hope you can find some peace and joy, but poo poo is bad so you're not wrong to feel that way, probably.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I might be moving to austin soon. What's wrong with Austin?

I'll just drop this here

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecfy73yHdZo

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

Chokes McGee posted:

Not that you need me to tell you this, but this is the first step down a very dark road that leads to hypersomnia/avoidance sleep and ends in a bad place. Is there a therapist you can reach out to (and afford)?

Sorry, just saw this. I'm fine relatively, honestly. I'm aware of these feelings and work on it. But mental health has peaks and valleys and man, sometimes, it's just dark, ya know? I appreciate you saying that, though.

Mundrial Mantis
Aug 15, 2017

Mainly venting but does anyone have friends you don't look forward to talking to because you realize they are an adult bully?

A friend is visiting the area and wants to know if I want to meet up. He's always had a libertarian contrarian streak and is now in a white-collar field. My politics changed over the years and I read more, started giving a poo poo, and moved left. Talking to him felt like he was trying to 'own the libs' with Socratic questioning, ambush questions, dismissing concerns with Stoic quotes, or getting angry and saying he doesn't care about the topic he ultimately brought up. Even before that, some of his stories and comments about other friends were off. I've noticed him lying as a joke or playing pranks in that odd 'you're dumb and uncomfortable and I got one over on you' way

I have other conservative, libertarian, and 'moderate' friends who aren't as online that I get along with and they try a good faith effort when we discuss politics. And I've read and listened to some of the usual people they bring up like Jorp, Pinker, Rogan, and Rand. But the last few conversations with him felt like trying to one up each other in either life happenings or politics. I don't know how much of this is my own personality and difficulty maintaining friendships. But this is making me realize that some people you got along with are mean and petty

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Goth Odell Beckham posted:

Sorry, just saw this. I'm fine relatively, honestly. I'm aware of these feelings and work on it. But mental health has peaks and valleys and man, sometimes, it's just dark, ya know? I appreciate you saying that, though.

Believe me, I understand. Some days you have to discharge existential angst. Just letting you know there's someone on the other end and it's not a void. :)

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
I've rolled over in the barrel and am licking my own sweat off the bottom for sustenance, emotionally. Just really unhappy and feeling like an outsider lately.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Therapist scheduled me for 6:30PM, cancelled it, and moved it to 4pm. Uhh, I end work then but there not really anywhere for me to set up a telehealth here.

I ask her to reschedule, now she's telling me she only does 9-4 Tues through Friday. So I guess if you work, you don't get help. I really don't understand why services like this are always on a tight normal business day when presumably most people would be unable to use it.

Tempted to :sever: and just forget about it. I've never really had an experience with a therapist that made me think the endeavor was worthwhile. I'll see if I can snag a time slot during a less busy time of the day, but I of course can't necessarily anticipate when someone is going to file an URGENT!@ ticket about a label printer that will make me have to cancel.

Mundrial Mantis
Aug 15, 2017

skooma512 posted:

Therapist scheduled me for 6:30PM, cancelled it, and moved it to 4pm. Uhh, I end work then but there not really anywhere for me to set up a telehealth here.

I ask her to reschedule, now she's telling me she only does 9-4 Tues through Friday. So I guess if you work, you don't get help. I really don't understand why services like this are always on a tight normal business day when presumably most people would be unable to use it.

Tempted to :sever: and just forget about it. I've never really had an experience with a therapist that made me think the endeavor was worthwhile. I'll see if I can snag a time slot during a less busy time of the day, but I of course can't necessarily anticipate when someone is going to file an URGENT!@ ticket about a label printer that will make me have to cancel.

It really sucks how a lot of therapists are only available during business hours. And even setting up a zoom meeting during the workday is not doable for everyone.

bobtheconqueror posted:

I've rolled over in the barrel and am licking my own sweat off the bottom for sustenance, emotionally. Just really unhappy and feeling like an outsider lately.

Emotional isolation is a fucker. If it helps, I hope things get better.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

skooma512 posted:

first, regarding the scheduling issue: see if you can find a different therapist, or find a place that specifically advertises non-standard hours. I wasn't gonna get therapy either for this reason because my schedule is very tight and hectic, but I found a place that is very flexible and has a bunch of therapists on staff Monday-Saturday with as-needed Sunday morning hours. I've worked both first and second shift over the past few years and my therapist has always been able to accommodate me, and when stuff was particularly tight has even seen me for sessions on his day off. it's worth scouting around a little bit to find a place that can work with your schedule.

second, regarding what seems like your trepidation around therapy generally (I may be off here, but that's just the vibe I got from your post): unfortunately it's just like any other job. a lot of them are just there to punch the clock. some of them are only good at helping with certain issues or certain types of people and sort of begrudgingly see anyone else just so they can make their mortgage. it sucks and is not ideal. it might take some searching, which is annoying, but there's probably someone out there who can help you and isn't a jerk about doing things like unilaterally changing your appointment times unannounced. definitely don't let one jerk scare you off

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017

Mundrial Mantis posted:

Mainly venting but does anyone have friends you don't look forward to talking to because you realize they are an adult bully?

Basically half my family. And the other half are oblivious to mental health issues. I have one sister who also had a mental health crisis, the one person who I feel safe talking to.

The half of my family who I feel are bullies, I've written off. I can't do it. It's not worth having them in my life right now because I'm barely able to take care of myself.

Adult bullies exist. They likely have childhood trauma of their own, which doesn't excuse their actions, but I'm coming to believe there are a lot of humans who don't understand how bad they are hosed up and living in the "matrix", a fantasy world built on bullshit.

Mundrial Mantis
Aug 15, 2017

OB-GYN Kenobi posted:

Basically half my family. And the other half are oblivious to mental health issues. I have one sister who also had a mental health crisis, the one person who I feel safe talking to.

The half of my family who I feel are bullies, I've written off. I can't do it. It's not worth having them in my life right now because I'm barely able to take care of myself.

Adult bullies exist. They likely have childhood trauma of their own, which doesn't excuse their actions, but I'm coming to believe there are a lot of humans who don't understand how bad they are hosed up and living in the "matrix", a fantasy world built on bullshit.

It always sucks when you realize a good chunk of your family is made up of either cruel or uncaring people :smith: . At least when a friendship turns sour there aren't the inherent issues that come with the person being a family member or co-worker

Venting some more. It's one thing if we had different political views and overall values if there is enough common ground. But when the conversations start to fall into the pattern of catching up and then veiled fishing attempts for them to own the libs or spout some line from whatever shithead Joe Rogan had on, why would I want to talk with you? It's looking more like my friend is trying hard to be a sociopath that I can't even share anything personal for fear of them using it

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

thats when you just go sicko troll mode. bring up Chris Dorner and the billionaires who get disappeared in China

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

indigi posted:

that’s when you just go sicko troll mode. bring up Chris Dorner and the billionaires who get disappeared in China

Yeah, my bully dad was going on about Dr suess and freedom of speech and I looked him dead in the eye and said "anybody telling you to watch what you say is censorship? Okay: death to america the demon cracker nation that deserves to burn" then I got to turn table and cry about freeze peaches or whatever.

Josherino
Mar 24, 2021

OB-GYN Kenobi posted:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with trimming your circle, and doing what's best for you. No one should ever be obligated to endure the kind of bullshit that certain people make others put up with - regardless of blood.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Mundrial Mantis posted:

A friend is visiting the area and wants to know if I want to meet up. He's always had a libertarian contrarian streak and is now in a white-collar field. My politics changed over the years and I read more, started giving a poo poo, and moved left. Talking to him felt like he was trying to 'own the libs' with Socratic questioning, ambush questions, dismissing concerns with Stoic quotes, or getting angry and saying he doesn't care about the topic he ultimately brought up. Even before that, some of his stories and comments about other friends were off. I've noticed him lying as a joke or playing pranks in that odd 'you're dumb and uncomfortable and I got one over on you' way

I have other conservative, libertarian, and 'moderate' friends who aren't as online that I get along with and they try a good faith effort when we discuss politics. And I've read and listened to some of the usual people they bring up like Jorp, Pinker, Rogan, and Rand. But the last few conversations with him felt like trying to one up each other in either life happenings or politics. I don't know how much of this is my own personality and difficulty maintaining friendships. But this is making me realize that some people you got along with are mean and petty

Yes, or even family members. But I've been trying to cut those people out of my life. If they are a bully and/or make me or others feel like poo poo to be around then I don't need them in my life. With family it's a bit more difficult I realize, but I definitely state my piece. A certain family member just yesterday who is a Trumper rolled their eyes and huffed when I mentioned the idea of being an honest person in life, like it was such a threat to their personality to even hear me talk about working to be honest that they had to shut it down to not penetrate their dishonest world. So I quickly stopped what I was discussing and told them it's not even worth it to continue talking if they're going to get pissed that I want to be an honest person. It completely killed the conversation and they tried to backtrack immediately and say they weren't acting the way they were but it was obvious. I'm not going to put up that poo poo in my life anymore. Jesus.

Viginti Septem has issued a correction as of 16:55 on Apr 1, 2021

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Side story, I work with this really quiet 21 year old woman who has started looking up to me, and I've taken her in as a mentor as much as I can. She had a really rough childhood and doesn't have many friends and a really limited work career and I could sense when she started that she might be the type to get overwhelmed with the job (we work with some real knucklehead, uneducated types who say some real unprofessional poo poo occasionally, but more than anything are just unlearned about the world). Very sexist conversations, transphobe talk, toxic masculinity locker room chat, etc that I've enjoyed turning into almost therapy chats. The 21 year old is just coming into her own and is learning that she doesn't conform to the norms of society with gender and she has confided some of this in me because I'll listen and I'm open to her being whatever she wants to be even if she hasn't figured that out yet, she basically.said she feels like she was born the wrong gender and should be a man. I'm like, rock on! Be the best man you can be!

There's an older woman, retired, that we've lately enjoyed taking our breaks with, I think because both the 21 year old and I see that this older lady just sits by herself at breaks and doesn't really interact with anyone else and we don't like that. Well in a discussion about nothing of substance the other day and the older lady dropped something out of the blue like Joe Biden being a pedophile or something, and I had actually thought this older lady to be more socialist/progressive up to this point so I quickly tested the waters with a few innocuous questions that got her to just flat out say that she's a Trumper and libs are ruining the country and I was just floored with this because it caught me off guard and I was kinda laughing going, "oh no, haha come on, you really believe the government is full of pedos? You're not going to tell me that you follow Q, right?" To which she said yes, she's a Q believer. She just immediately went off the cliff that cancel culture is ruining everything and the libs are going to ruin the country by raising taxes and forcing trans culture down her throat, etc, all within like 30 seconds (ugh). I was concerned because the quiet 21 year old who has confided in me her very progressive non-conformative views about herself was sitting there listening and I like to keep things civil in conversations. But to my surprise the 21 year old just immediately flew into this empowered rant about how she doesn't want to live in a world where we're not taking care of the planet and focusing on climate change and treating others with respect and she'll be damned if she's going to sit aside while people like Trump just get away with bullying others to benefit themselves, etc

I just sat back, honestly in awe, of how sure of herself she was, something I was not expecting from the quiet one at work. She's been really down on herself the last couple days saying that she doesn't matter, etc and I actually told her today how I look up to her for being so strong in that moment and for the bravery it took for her to come out to me about not conforming to society's gender rules. I've got a new friend at work, and she's a badass Gen Z.

Viginti Septem has issued a correction as of 18:05 on Apr 1, 2021

Josherino
Mar 24, 2021

samantonio posted:

Side story, I work with this really quiet 21 year old woman who has started looking up to me, and I've taken her in as a mentor as much as I can. She had a really rough childhood and doesn't have many friends and a really limited work career and I could sense when she started that she might be the type to get overwhelmed with the job (we work with some real knucklehead, uneducated types who say some real unprofessional poo poo occasionally, but more than anything are just unlearned about the world). Very sexist conversations, transphobe talk, toxic masculinity locker room chat, etc that I've enjoyed turning into almost therapy chats. The 21 year old is just coming into her own and is learning that she doesn't conform to the norms of society with gender and she has confided some of this in me because I'll listen and I'm open to her being whatever she wants to be even if she hasn't figured that out yet, she basically.said she feels like she was born the wrong gender and should be a man. I'm like, rock on! Be the best man you can be!

There's an older woman, retired, that we've lately enjoyed taking our breaks with, I think because both the 21 year old and I see that this older lady just sits by herself at breaks and doesn't really interact with anyone else and we don't like that. Well in a discussion about nothing of substance the other day and the older lady dropped something out of the blue like Joe Biden being a pedophile or something, and I had actually thought this older lady to be more socialist/progressive up to this point so I quickly tested the waters with a few innocuous questions that got her to just flat out say that she's a Trumper and libs are ruining the country and I was just floored with this because it caught me off guard and I was kinda laughing going, "oh no, haha come on, you really believe the government is full of pedos? You're not going to tell me that you follow Q, right?" To which she said yes, she's a Q believer. She just immediately went off the cliff that cancel culture is ruining everything and the libs are going to ruin the country by raising taxes and forcing trans culture down her throat, etc, all within like 30 seconds (ugh). I was concerned because the quiet 21 year old who has confided in me her very progressive non-conformative views about herself was sitting there listening and I like to keep things civil in conversations. But to my surprise the 21 year old just immediately flew into this empowered rant about how she doesn't want to live in a world where we're not taking care of the planet and focusing on climate change and treating others with respect and she'll be damned if she's going to sit aside while people like Trump just get away with bullying others to benefit themselves, etc

I just sat back, honestly in awe, of how sure of herself she was, something I was not expecting from the quiet one at work. She's been really down on herself the last couple days saying that she doesn't matter, etc and I actually told her today how I look up to her for being so strong in that moment and for the bravery it took for her to come out to me about not conforming to society's gender rules. I've got a new friend at work, and she's a badass Gen Z.

Awesome story and experience - I think it's great that we're finding folks in and around communities that are finding their voice.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

indigi posted:

first, regarding the scheduling issue: see if you can find a different therapist, or find a place that specifically advertises non-standard hours. I wasn't gonna get therapy either for this reason because my schedule is very tight and hectic, but I found a place that is very flexible and has a bunch of therapists on staff Monday-Saturday with as-needed Sunday morning hours. I've worked both first and second shift over the past few years and my therapist has always been able to accommodate me, and when stuff was particularly tight has even seen me for sessions on his day off. it's worth scouting around a little bit to find a place that can work with your schedule.

second, regarding what seems like your trepidation around therapy generally (I may be off here, but that's just the vibe I got from your post): unfortunately it's just like any other job. a lot of them are just there to punch the clock. some of them are only good at helping with certain issues or certain types of people and sort of begrudgingly see anyone else just so they can make their mortgage. it sucks and is not ideal. it might take some searching, which is annoying, but there's probably someone out there who can help you and isn't a jerk about doing things like unilaterally changing your appointment times unannounced. definitely don't let one jerk scare you off

My current one offered to refer me another on the platform who could accommodate my schedule. Whether or not such a therapist is available, and has appointments within the next decade, we'll have to see.

I've tried the therapy path like 3 times before this, and I've never come away from it feeling any better or with any tools to help me. One even practically yelled at me because I didn't know how to therapy and she was getting annoyed that I wasn't talking as much. I have social anxiety because I expect people don't want me around or talking to them, so no poo poo? This is probably the wrong thing to say here, but part of me suspects therapy is mostly a grift riding high on placebo effect and the power of suggestion. It also doesn't help that I can't establish long term relationships with these people because 1. I work for a living and can't see them regularly 2. I can't afford to keep seeing them when the free sessions run out.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Sometimes the right person will be presented at the right time. I saw (paid for) therapists/shrinks and even went the route of going into psychology as my major to figure myself out and none of it ever got through. But a cognitive behavioral therapy program in prison with one conservative, white-picket-fence, motherly type therapist who never gave up on any member of her groups of utter sociopaths was able to reach me and help me snap myself back to being a decent human being. A woman horribly underpaid and doing her job in an incredibly dangerous environment was able to get through to me, help me fix a toxic relationship with my mom, work on some serious early childhood trauma poo poo along with the poo poo surrounding my addictions and habits, etc. Not the place I was expecting to find the help I needed.

Keep at it and hold an open mind to finding feedback from those you wouldn't expect to be able to help you.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

skooma512 posted:

My current one offered to refer me another on the platform who could accommodate my schedule. Whether or not such a therapist is available, and has appointments within the next decade, we'll have to see.

I've tried the therapy path like 3 times before this, and I've never come away from it feeling any better or with any tools to help me. One even practically yelled at me because I didn't know how to therapy and she was getting annoyed that I wasn't talking as much. I have social anxiety because I expect people don't want me around or talking to them, so no poo poo? This is probably the wrong thing to say here, but part of me suspects therapy is mostly a grift riding high on placebo effect and the power of suggestion. It also doesn't help that I can't establish long term relationships with these people because 1. I work for a living and can't see them regularly 2. I can't afford to keep seeing them when the free sessions run out.

I don't think therapy is a grift, but although I know someone got probed/threadbanned for saying something like this, I also don't think it's helpful to everyone in all cases. although like I said, you might have just unluckily come up snake eyes three times on your rolls for therapists.

I'd say maybe look into something like BetterHelp where they have you fill out a questionnaire when you join to find someone suited to you. you can switch therapists literally every day if the one they give you isn't working, and I've been told it's more affordable than "traditional" therapy, but I also empathize with the feeling of "well I tried this three times already and it didn't fuckin help so whatever."

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009
I've had some real poo poo therapists/psychologists, some of which made things even worse (thanks dude who told me that I wasn't getting younger and I need to put on some makeup and get myself out there after a horrible pregnancy scare)! It takes a long time to find someone you click with, and the right therapy style. I JUST found a program that is what I needed, about 12 years and like 8 people later?? DBT therapy is just the right process, accountability, and everything I needed for my ADHD and trauma combo platter.

It still really loving sucks though, rehashing your intake story and reopening wounds, and every failed connection hurts more than the last. I found writing out a summary of your history and medications and having it handy to give to new therapists helps cut through a lot of the usual questions and misunderstandings, and jumpstarts that first meeting. Spending one day painfully writing and editing all of your worst memories is better than trying to remember them anew every time. If you need to take a break looking for people, then that's what you need.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

whats DBT

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand

samantonio posted:

I've got a new friend at work, and she's a badass Gen Z.
this is beautiful, thank you for sharing :kiddo:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

indigi posted:

what’s DBT

https://dialecticalbehaviortherapy.com/

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I briefly met a few acquaintances today and as we were leaving said something that I only afterwards realized was stupid and embarrassing; and now I'm going to be freaking out about it all weekend thanks to my magnificent brain

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006

skooma512 posted:

Hi, therapy isn't a grift, sorry the therapists you've seen haven't worked out for you. Some therapists suck, and it can be especially hard if the things that drive you nuts (so to speak) are present in the clinical format - offices, scheduling, that kind of poo poo.

On the other hand, have you considered possible elements of self sabotage here? Nothing will make therapy work if you're looking for reasons it won't. Your use of the phrase "placebo effect" here indicates a weird take on what you expect to be happening in a session. One of the biggest misconceptions about therapy is that it's something that happens to you rather than you working on yourself with guidance.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

One of my fav youtubers killed herself recently. I'm not normally one to care about celebrities but her channel with her ex boyfriend basically convinced me to say "gently caress it" and move to the other side of the world to a city I had never been to and without any job lined up. Doing that saved my life, for sure, as everything finally came together at age 39.

She was a good person. No point to this other than to say I'm sad a good person is no longer with us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO7Q9epp9yM

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

skooma512 posted:

Ya maybe ur right maybe therapy isnt right for you. It's not right for everyone. there are other paths to healing and serenity. -But therapy does seem to be pretty effective at least statistically BUT there are also a lot of bad therapists out there so who knows. of the pool of therapists that i know, i probably wouldnt refer clients to even half of them. BUT my ears do perk up a bit when you say you've been to four and not a single one was able to offer any help whatsoever, u know? maybe the swapping so often is what's hindering you. like ive had clients say they just want to meet every few weeks and i tell 'em if you want that to be just kind of a check in and it makes you feel more sane and grounded to talk to me sure let's blast but i also tell them we probably won't be able to make any progress or chip away at what's ailing you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

Sanguinary Novel posted:

I've had some real poo poo therapists/psychologists, some of which made things even worse (thanks dude who told me that I wasn't getting younger and I need to put on some makeup and get myself out there after a horrible pregnancy scare)! It takes a long time to find someone you click with, and the right therapy style. I JUST found a program that is what I needed, about 12 years and like 8 people later?? DBT therapy is just the right process, accountability, and everything I needed for my ADHD and trauma combo platter.

It still really loving sucks though, rehashing your intake story and reopening wounds, and every failed connection hurts more than the last. I found writing out a summary of your history and medications and having it handy to give to new therapists helps cut through a lot of the usual questions and misunderstandings, and jumpstarts that first meeting. Spending one day painfully writing and editing all of your worst memories is better than trying to remember them anew every time. If you need to take a break looking for people, then that's what you need.

Ya really really really good advice on every single point

when you say you found a program what's that entail exactly, a therapist who does DBT or you're doing it on your own? but That's so fantastic you found something after so long, really encouraging.

edit: gently caress me sorry for the double post