Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Ragequit posted:

How does saving and pausing work on Monster Hunter Rise? Is it possible to pause (even if it requires jumping to the Switch menu) during single player? I am interrupted during games pretty often unless I play really late at night, so pausing is a must.

You can pause whenever by pressing the home button on the controller but it won’t save while on a mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

What support type did you guys choose for your Palico?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Meridian posted:

What support type did you guys choose for your Palico?

To start? I picked healing for single player hunts. I’m going to hire a Gatherer for expeditions and maybe buffer for multiplayer hunts.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Oh, what decides what skills your palicos and palamutes have to choose from?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

You’re gonna be hiring like 10 of each just to maintain the sub and meowcenaries.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

You’re gonna be hiring like 10 of each just to maintain the sub and meowcenaries.

Yeah but the OG buddies are special. :kimchi:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

eonwe posted:

Oh, what decides what skills your palicos and palamutes have to choose from?

Iori gives you a random line up but you can scout for one you want.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Weapons show true attack values just like in GU!

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Lbg loving rocks, aerial wyvernblast mine dunking loving rocks, this game loving rocks

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
How do you hide individual armor pieces from your character? I heard you could do that in this game.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Neo_Crimson posted:

How do you hide individual armor pieces from your character? I heard you could do that in this game.

It’s a setting in the item box. Maybe under equipment?

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Tried starting with Gunlance this time around, but it feels just kinda clunky with faster monsters, can't really get around very quickly, and the silkbind feels really limited. Probably won't last too much longer on it before going back to the normal Lance. Might revisit once I get some some evade extenders or something else to try.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I like how the intro for the beat makes it sound like this horrible beast, but the video is a bear lazily eating a single fish while sitting on its butt.

Sonic Barrier on Hunting Horn seems bonkers. I'm sure there will be more monsters with combo attacks to neutralize it, but drat. Looking forward to unlocking skill swaps so that I can get my recitals and spins back.

Lance still makes everything easy unless you get sloppy, but it's default silk binds are pretty crap for mounting damage, compared to Horn anyway. Looking forward to unlocking more stuff for it, too.

Is it hare, or is it bear?
It is neither, so beware!

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Lmao these intros. Oh poo poo... That bird is... EATING INSECTS

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I love how consistently adorable this series is

I will never skip the Bunny Dango scene

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Game owns. Everything is so sleek and streamlined.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I decided to stick with gunlance despite stumbling over it in my brief run with the demo, and I'm really warming up to it. I like that you have to be a little more deliberate with it, but there's still a beefy shield to absorb attacks when I'm trying to learn monster patterns.

I'm still feeling overwhelmed with all the different systems in the game, like all the things you can do with additional buddies, plus looking up some weapon guides online led me down a rabbit hole of technical discussions of frame counts and "true raw" damage and whatnot. But the basic game loop is a lot simpler than I thought it would be, in a good way.

Grouping with people is also pretty painless, although splitting progress between single-player and multiplayer seems a little odd with the way the game is designed. I just feel a little self-conscious when I end up in a hunt with a bunch of seasoned Japanese players decked out in fancy armor and dancing all over the place, while I'm still whiffing half my swings :downs:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
After a day of playing...Yeah, this is a really good Monster Hunter game. Hunting Horn has been tearing through the Village quests, nerfs be damned. Funny enough, my only carts so far have been to World monsters - the newbies can't touch me. :v:

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

dango is made of palamutes, the little anime girl is a monster

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Harrow posted:

I will never skip the Bunny Dango scene

Or the monster intro poems. Both are awesome.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Booo Gamestop delayed the shipping of my Rise Pro Controller! :argh:

At least it's not cancelled...yet.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
best buy still hasn't shipped my copy :negative:

LeninVS
Nov 8, 2011

What's the purpose of the Lance's silkbind move that lets you hop at enemies? I couldn't figure out if it was worth using for damage.

Seems easier and more damaging to just use the counter thrust one.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The monster intro cutscenes are great. Wide Gunlance's blunt wyvernstake is great. That pretty butterfly gunlance is great and I hope layered weapons are either in the game or show up soon because I want to use that all the time.

Game is great.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
Finally had a chance to do some real quests after work instead of dinking around the village while working and sitting on a conference call. Game is great, runs better than I expected. It mixes the things I really liked from MHGU with the QOL improvements MHW brought to the table perfectly.

Also going lance for the first time, took some getting used to but it’s super satisfying to hit a perfect counter.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

tokenbrownguy posted:

Wow the village music theme sucks.

tokenbrownguy posted:

Quest end music theme sucks
You are just filled with bad takes.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

~HIGH PITCHED LOUD SINGING~

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

The game just oozes MH style. Moreso than MHW. Probably BECAUSE it’s on a “low power” system like the switch vs ps4.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

MMF Freeway posted:

LR monhun is so chill coming off of super late G rank.

It's funny hearing these poems about how dangerous these monsters are and I just ruthlessly cave their skulls in with a big hammer as they're helpless to stop me.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

LeninVS posted:

What's the purpose of the Lance's silkbind move that lets you hop at enemies? I couldn't figure out if it was worth using for damage.

It was fun to play around with but pretty useless when I tried it in the demo. Better to just use the counter one like you said.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

LeninVS posted:

It's been trash thus far. Lance can easily keep close to monsters anyway with Guard Dash and Charge, so doing an awkward jump thing that costs two bugs to set up hasn't been useful for me.

Neither starting silk move is very good for mounting damage with Lance, though the counter is good as a damage buff.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Do the maps get better? The first one is tiny, empty and dull as hell - especially coming from the intricate labyrinths of World.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

stev posted:

Do the maps get better? The first one is tiny, empty and dull as hell - especially coming from the intricate labyrinths of World.

The maps are waaaaaaaay more vertical in rise. Explore up.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

really missing having to follow my gps bugs everywhere due to this jungle being a godforsaken maze

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

stev posted:

If you're hoping for the density of World's maps then you might be disappointed. The maps very much carry the pre-World design, just with no loading zones, and way more verticality.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

LeninVS posted:

So far it's only been useful for Mitsuzune for me on account of it sliding around all over the place. Just faster to hop to it rather than sliding around with bubbles.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Playing around with the dual blades switch skill that basically is aerial style. It feels like it really raises your affinity when you get in the air. That seems nice, since it should allow you to get Critical Element without also having to jam in Affinity Up skills.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Can someone explain to me when to use zero sum discharge? I get in amped state and I'm doing a crazy amount of damage, and then I notice that my amped state goes away, but I don't know when to fit in the discharge. Do I do it near the end of my amped state, or does it matter?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Dang, the Echo switch skill doesn't bring back the Echo Spin as a regular attack. Having the recital swing as another "big" attack could be good. I'll play around with it some more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

I may finally main greatsword for once, but I'm scared. I don't know if I have the strength to do it.