Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

bird with big dick posted:

I think we basically now have a good idea of what the progression of things should be in order of how much we decide we want to spend, something like:

1. Two walls worth of lower cabinets and counters plus open corner uppers in the nook.
2. 1 plus do the hallway converted into pantry/laundry combo.
3. 1-2 but get rid of the slider and put in a window and put lowers there also.
4. 1-3 plus redo the island so there's cabinets on both sides plus maybe bookshelves or something on the shorter sides.
5. Gut everything and start over.

I'm going to push for either 2 or 5. Wife will probably argue for 1.

Thanks everyone, this has been helpful, will probably try and get ahold of some designers over the next week.

If you have the budget and the will, definitely go for 5. Gutting and starting fresh gives you the ability to make some crucial adjustments to the kitchen layout that you wouldn’t be able to make with the piecemeal options, namely moving the fridge.

My take is that with just option #1 in which you simply add more countertop/cabinets to the nook, you get a bit more storage but your counter layout becomes [oven]->[unchanged amount of workspace]->[fridge]->[exclusion zone] whereas if you just rip everything out and start over, you are free to move things around and you can achieve [fridge]->[oven]->[gloriously long runway of continuous workspace] AND because you no longer have the fridge cutting off the nook, the nook does not become a weird exclusion zone because it’s spatially and visually connected to the rest of the kitchen.

Note: I know the cooktop is in there but it is level with the countertop and doesn’t have the same blocking/workspace displacing effect as fridges and wall ovens.

However, if you want what I consider the best ROI for the least amount of money, I’d do just laundry/pantry combo (minus any changes in the kitchen). Moving/removing some walls, relocating a door, drywall + painting, and installing some utilitarian shelves shouldn’t be terribly expensive because it’s pretty basic work and there are no fancy finishes/millwork involved (unless you want the shelving to be nice millwork instead of off the shelf (heh) basic stuff). Having all that new storage space will alleviate strain on your kitchen by letting you shove small appliances and anything else taking up counter space into appliance jail/pantry storage to free up more workspace and help kitchen storage become less crowded and more accessible by moving your less frequently used supplies/cookware to the pantry/laundry/storage room.

Also, doing just the combo storage room does not affect your kitchen at all, so if you decide later that you want to totally redo the kitchen, you don’t have to rip out your recent improvements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

deoju posted:

I've got this weird corner in my apartment and I don't know what the hell to do with it.

I used to have my desk there, but it just ended up being the place where I threw poo poo I didn't know what to do with. That window faces almost due south, and It's how I get most sunlight in the room so I don't want to block it. My place consists of bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, and this room, so it is where I spend most of my time.
Here's a little map I drew up to help me plan things...

Any tips on what the gently caress to do here would be appreaciated.

plant corral

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Hi thread! Not sure if this is the right place for this, but my wife and I could use some advice on bed frames and where to get them. We're going to be moving into a multi-room apartment from our studio soon and are taking the opportunity to upgrade some of our furniture since we'll actually have the space to decorate how we'd like. Currently, we're both in agreement that we want something mid-century styled with a headboard (either wood or upholstered, doesn't matter) for our full-size mattress, and within a budget of about $800. Unfortunately, the budget is a hard cap as we don't make a ton of money and still need to purchase a couple other items with the money we've saved and my wife doesn't feel comfortable spending more on a frame. I know we're not going to get solid wood or hand-crafted anything, but that's ok, veneers are fine.

Here's a couple examples of the kind of thing we'd like in terms of looks:

Any advice is appreciated!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

wheatpuppy posted:

Maybe line it with bookshelves, throw an ottoman/low chair in the center in case you want to actually sit there while you read?

chair is good idea, or a small circular table, like 30-36" diameter

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Chip McFuck posted:

Hi thread! Not sure if this is the right place for this, but my wife and I could use some advice on bed frames and where to get them. We're going to be moving into a multi-room apartment from our studio soon and are taking the opportunity to upgrade some of our furniture since we'll actually have the space to decorate how we'd like. Currently, we're both in agreement that we want something mid-century styled with a headboard (either wood or upholstered, doesn't matter) for our full-size mattress, and within a budget of about $800. Unfortunately, the budget is a hard cap as we don't make a ton of money and still need to purchase a couple other items with the money we've saved and my wife doesn't feel comfortable spending more on a frame. I know we're not going to get solid wood or hand-crafted anything, but that's ok, veneers are fine.

Any advice is appreciated!

fyi solid wood isn't necessarily any better than veneers over MDF. Most higher end places use the latter. It's mainly about how good the veneer is.

I was going to mention article, not sure how good they are (I'm somewhat skeptical), but they are only in king and queen size!

In general a lot of sites don't have as much selection for sizes below queen.

you could try this one, it's a bit over your budget but it's the only thing I found

https://www.crateandbarrel.com/tuft-and-needle-full-solid-walnut-bed/s668009

there's also an oak version for less

https://www.crateandbarrel.com/tuft-and-needle-full-solid-oak-bed/s667995

Unsurprisingly, when they say "walnut" they really mean walnut + other cheaper woods, in this case beechwood and pine, which helps keep the price down.

are you planning on keeping a full size full term? if so this could work, but if you want to upgrade the size in the future, it might be better to just use Ikea for the time being.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Mar 19, 2021

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

mdf is a garbage material that wishes it was a high quality plywood

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Just going off what kaiser said in the woodworking thread a while back when I asked him about it vs solid wood. I've never seen MDF without a veneer, that would be weird.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

deoju posted:

I've got this weird corner in my apartment and I don't know what the hell to do with it.

I used to have my desk there, but it just ended up being the place where I threw poo poo I didn't know what to do with. That window faces almost due south, and It's how I get most sunlight in the room so I don't want to block it. My place consists of bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, and this room, so it is where I spend most of my time.

I'm on team chair. That would be a good reading nook. Alternately, I would build in some seating height storage or shelving, following the shape of the walls, and top it with some nice cushions.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

If that's where you're getting good sunlight it could be a nice little plant corner. Considering what you said about how you used the desk that was there and the seating you already have, it seems like a table or chair might be wasted there.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Build a little stage in it and practice your monologues and your tight 5.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Thanks for the tips.

Something fully custom would be cost prohibitive at the moment, but some plants sounds like a good launching point.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

deoju posted:

Thanks for the tips.

Something fully custom would be cost prohibitive at the moment, but some plants sounds like a good launching point.

Your mother in law was right, you'll never amount to a hill of beans in Hollywood OR Broadway at this rate!

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

deoju posted:

Thanks for the tips.

What was it originally used for by precious owner? Why the f is it even shapes like that to begin with? Can you add more windows to it? It almost looks like there was but they closed them up.

Curious what the outside looks like on that spot.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

falz posted:

What was it originally used for by precious owner? Why the f is it even shapes like that to begin with? Can you add more windows to it? It almost looks like there was but they closed them up.

Given the sloped ceiling, I'm gonna guess it's some kind of dormer situation.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I took a sample from the wall of a paint that the previous owners had used on a small section. I was trying to figure out the approximate RGB, eventually I found a tool online, so I took a picture of the sample (while in the jar) and looked at values in the section where there was no shadow. I got around 235,215,195

My understanding of undertones is that they result when one of these values is more present than the others, e.g. something like 195,195,195 would have zero undertone.

For my paint, obviously red is the most common, so it makes sense that it has a bit of a pinkish undertone.

What I'm really looking for is a white (shutup) with a bit of brown in it, but it doesn't seem like there is a "brown undertone" per se (I think this is because brown is a secondary color).

I looked at another paint which seemed to have the look I want (obviously I have to get a sample), and it's values are 235,233,222

I'm just not sure how to evaluate the undertone. It has somewhat more red and green compared to blue. Does that mean I should expect something close to a slight yellow (mix of red+green) undertone? perhaps even slightly closer to orange as there's a bit more red than green, which would be nice as that's close to brown.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

falz posted:

Dunno what the previous tenant had. And I'm a renter, so a big modification isn't in the cards.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Given the sloped ceiling, I'm gonna guess it's some kind of dormer situation.
Bingo.

Here's a heavily cropped pic so as not to dox myself...

It's a two unit building, like a duplex, but vertical instead of horizontal. Not sure if that has a specific name. I live upstairs. The window I posted earlier is on the left in that pic.

mutata posted:

Your mother in law was right, you'll never amount to a hill of beans in Hollywood OR Broadway at this rate!

I'm guessing there's a joke here that I'm missing... Is this a quote from a movie or something?

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

deoju posted:

Dunno what the previous tenant had. And I'm a renter, so a big modification isn't in the cards.

Bingo.

Here's a heavily cropped pic so as not to dox myself...

It's a two unit building, like a duplex, but vertical instead of horizontal. Not sure if that has a specific name. I live upstairs. The window I posted earlier is on the left in that pic.

I'm guessing there's a joke here that I'm missing... Is this a quote from a movie or something?

I think they're just riffing on the idea of building a stage in that space.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

deoju posted:

This is really dependent on your hobbies/interests? I'd turn it into a draw/paint space since it's a good spot for a canvas and mirror with the south light and add a wall mounted bookcase to one side to be a bonus library with my plants getting honorary top shelf space for max light exposure.

Also a good spot for a record player or a bar if you're into mixing cocktails and entertaining. Combine with art you like.

Comedy option, build a stage out of discard wood, host open mic nights.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I have a house under construction and we did pre-drywall orientation and inspection. Turns out there's a dead space underneath the stairs through a coat closet and it's quite sizable. I'd like to consider knocking down the interior back wall of that coat closet and then turning that dead space into something - I don't have measurements, but I think you could totally fit a portable desk or a chaise and such in there. There's no ventilation going to there but it could also serve as a contained crafting workspace for indoor airbrushing so paint doesn't fly everywhere in any other part of the house. Or, just having it be storage for odds and ends but consistent - secret book nook, luggage, I've seen these crawl spaces turned into wine cellars, that kind of thing. I think you can fit a half-size door to get in there but not a full ADA-compliant door.

Is trying to take advantage of that dead space a good idea or am I potentially cruising for a big headache? My realtor knows a renovator dude and they could probably knock it out for a couple grand and finish it out.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

cheese eats mouse posted:

This is really dependent on your hobbies/interests? I'd turn it into a draw/paint space since it's a good spot for a canvas and mirror with the south light and add a wall mounted bookcase to one side to be a bonus library with my plants getting honorary top shelf space for max light exposure.
I haven't been looking at this the right way until your post. I've been thinking of it as a burden and not an opportunity. I'll fill it with my nerdy lego poo poo and other knickknacks.

wheatpuppy posted:

I think they're just riffing on the idea of building a stage in that space.
oic
I was just overthinking things.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Is this the right place to ask about furniture brands?

I found this listing for a dresser and chest that I like the look of. It seems to be the Broyhill brand, which google says is sold at Biglots? I'm not interested in that grade of furniture, but poking around a bit I also see a lot of used MCM Broyhill pieces listed for $800+. I don't know whether to think this listing is for junk, or something halfway decent. What do you guys think?

https://buffalo.craigslist.org/fuo/d/tonawanda-bedroom-dresser/7297590971.html

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

aldantefax posted:

Is trying to take advantage of that dead space a good idea or am I potentially cruising for a big headache? My realtor knows a renovator dude and they could probably knock it out for a couple grand and finish it out.

Our house also has some deadspace (1m cube) under the stairs. I want to open a hole in the kitchen wall and use it as a mini pantry.

For your dead space, it sounds quite big but hard to access so I'd use it for seasonal decorations like a christmas tree, ornaments, haunted house stuff, camping equipment.

What's on the not-closet side of that space? Some house here put a small door on the outside and convert dead space to a mini shed/outdoor closet.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Access is from the entry hallway so the stairs run along the structural wall up, and then there’s a powder room and then the coat closet and subsequent dead space. There is an area where the stairs do an L shape but that means there’s a space on the bend you could knock out to shove a piece of luggage or something onto. Maybe a dog den there. I’d have to go back and take measurements to determine viability of actually turning that area into a secret space to hang out in.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
What's a good source for basic rugs? Short term I need a runner and don't even know where to start. Long term I want to add a couple more rugs and replace one. The big box stores have some but they look not great. There's a couple of actual flooring stores nearby that might have better options but I haven't looked closely at them yet.

Should I check out the in person places first or go straight online? I'm not even sure what style I want I just want to cover the stupid gray laminate.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
what’s it like to have a ball/globe chair? is it as cozy and soothing as it looks? is the upholstery comfortable?

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Do you mean these? My school has a lot of them (being Aarnio's old school I guess they are obliged), and they are one my favourite reading nooks. At least as a smaller person I can curl up fully inside it, and the sides block noise coming outside of it a lot so it's like hanging out in a human sized nest. Very cozy and soothing. The Bubble Chair is nice as well, but it's seethrough so not as private in a public place.

Doll House Ghost fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Mar 31, 2021

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

Doll House Ghost posted:

Do you mean these? My school has a lot of them (being Aarnio's old school I guess they are obliged), and they are one my favourite reading nooks. At least as a smaller person I can curl up fully inside it, and the sides block noise coming outside of it a lot so it's like hanging out in a human sized nest. Very cozy and soothing. The Bubble Chair is nice as well, but it's seethrough so not as private in a public place.

yeah, those guys. hoping it can help me deal with hypervigilance, help me focus, yada yada when i need to read/work

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

peanut posted:

Some house here put a small door on the outside and convert dead space to a mini shed/outdoor closet.

Found a great example this morning.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

does anyone know if bathroom wall cabinets like this can be installed without the back? I assume you can - I want to put something on the wall, but I want it to cover the outlet, so I can put my electric toothbrush in there while still being able to plug it in, while still having a door on front to conceal it. Perhaps I could also put on the back but just cut a hole for the outlet.

like this one https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/godmorgon-wall-cabinet-with-1-door-brown-stained-ash-effect-70457915/

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

What's a good source for basic rugs? Short term I need a runner and don't even know where to start. Long term I want to add a couple more rugs and replace one. The big box stores have some but they look not great. There's a couple of actual flooring stores nearby that might have better options but I haven't looked closely at them yet.

Should I check out the in person places first or go straight online? I'm not even sure what style I want I just want to cover the stupid gray laminate.

for something you want to keep long term you want 100% wool. For the runner what size exactly are you looking for, what color, and what is your budget?

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Apr 4, 2021

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

actionjackson posted:

does anyone know if bathroom wall cabinets like this can be installed without the back? I assume you can - I want to put something on the wall, but I want it to cover the outlet, so I can put my electric toothbrush in there while still being able to plug it in, while still having a door on front to conceal it. Perhaps I could also put on the back but just cut a hole for the outlet.

like this one https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/godmorgon-wall-cabinet-with-1-door-brown-stained-ash-effect-70457915/

for something you want to keep long term you want 100% wool. For the runner what size exactly are you looking for, what color, and what is your budget?

The back of one of those cabinets is a structural component that keeps it from racking. You'll need to cut a specific hole.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Booley posted:

The back of one of those cabinets is a structural component that keeps it from racking. You'll need to cut a specific hole.

great thanks

I know it's ikea, but I assume I'll need something more than a utility knife :p

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
If it's the normal back of such things, it's almost like a dense cardboard, a carpet blade thing may do.

The back isn't usually flush to the wall so you may also need a 1/4" or 1/2" outlet extender thing that should be ar any hardware stores.

I have 2 BESTA units in living room (joined together) mounted on wall, there's a rail for it. I didn't put the backs in because I needed the ezra 3/4" or so to fit my receiver with the doors closed. Structurally it's fine.

Mine is basically this, but with doors..

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/besta-frame-black-brown-70245952/

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

alright thanks!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

ecarpetgallery.com is good and pretty cheap. Look for turkish kilim/gelim's. They are flat woven, low pile, and usually are in geometric patterns that play well with alot of different styles.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

ecarpetgallery.com is good and pretty cheap. Look for turkish kilim/gelim's. They are flat woven, low pile, and usually are in geometric patterns that play well with alot of different styles.

does that site have samples? I don't see anything. You always want to order a sample first.

Kilims are cool, though they might not be the most comfortable if you are going to be walking on them a lot. You definitely want a really nice rug pad in either case, one with felt on top and rubber on the bottom.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

actionjackson posted:

does that site have samples? I don't see anything. You always want to order a sample first.

Kilims are cool, though they might not be the most comfortable if you are going to be walking on them a lot. You definitely want a really nice rug pad in either case, one with felt on top and rubber on the bottom.

I don’t think so. What would they send a sample of? Most all their rugs are hand woven or knotted. They can’t just cut a swatch off one, and even if they did it might not be like the rug next to it.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I don’t think so. What would they send a sample of? Most all their rugs are hand woven or knotted. They can’t just cut a swatch off one, and even if they did it might not be like the rug next to it.

With all the places I looked at for a rug, you could get a sample. With the one I ended up with from blu dot, it was basically a 1x1 foot version of the entire rug that I paid a $25 deposit on. Maybe this is just impossible with certain styles though.

I just took a look at room and board, and all their flat-weave rugs have samples you can get for a deposit.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 5, 2021

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

wait what happened to prada slut?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

nishi koichi posted:

wait what happened to prada slut?

ah you caught me, I was linking to his kilim, he still posts but not in these threads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

actionjackson posted:

29" wide x 19' long give or take. Wool sounds great, I haven't thought hard about color yet, and preliminary budget is $100-200 unless that's only going to get me garbage.

edit: A quick glance around and I'm guessing I'll need to up that budget a bit.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I'll check it out, thanks.

oXDemosthenesXo fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Apr 6, 2021