Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

HD DAD posted:

Woah I thought we moved past racial stereotypes there, wakka

Hm, IS Wakka the most racist FF party member? I can't remember that being a big part of anyone else's personality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Asterite34 posted:

Hm, IS Wakka the most racist FF party member? I can't remember that being a big part of anyone else's personality

Literally none of the others give a drat. I guess that Yuna is half Al Bhed is known to everyone EXCEPT Wakka has tempered their opinions on Al Bhed

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Bartz freaks out the first time he sees a werewolf and then the second time he sees a werewolf he kicks his rear end so bad he ends up on death's door until the werewolf sacrifices himself to expose Exdeath's castle's meaty interior.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Mega64 posted:

Bartz freaks out the first time he sees a werewolf and then the second time he sees a werewolf he kicks his rear end so bad he ends up on death's door until the werewolf sacrifices himself to expose Exdeath's castle's meaty interior.

Well his dad had taught him the secret technique to werewolf fighting, also that werewolf was old and sick

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R
I got FFXV the other day because it was 50% off on steam, and so thought i'd better finally sit down to watch Kingsglaive. (playing the actual game is somewhere in the backlog because i've still got FFX and FFXII to finish).

I kind of admire how they have apparently no interest in making anything resembling a proper movie and make something which genuinely is just a feature length final fantasy cutscene. I think maybe Aaron Paul is the least miscast out of the big name actors? Lena Headey manages to negotiate some pretty goofy dialogue pretty well (never thought I'd hear her talking about MagiTek) and Sean Bean just does the same poo poo he did in oblivion and suchlike and sounds too young. But I mean the entire film has practically the same shape and function as the intro FMV to FFXII - set up the world and the central conflict and a bit of mystery - and the idea of going to a movie theatre to watch the opening cutscene of a game is pretty weird but again, i kind of admire that they are apparently playing to just such an audience. I watched half of it on the tv and half of it on my laptop in bed which i guess is the "long tail"

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Holy moly, FFXV has Aaron Paul and Lena Headey? Thinking on it, it makes sense considering that FF has always been super cinematic, but not having played it, it's kind of surreal hearing that they had the pull to get legitimate voice actors for an English dub. It's always a blessing to hear professionals deliver schlocky dialogue with full commitment. Are they in the game proper, or just the prelude movie?

I hope for XVI they up the ante and get some modern A-lister for the dub. I wanna hear LeKeith Stanfield talk about how the town's crystal controls the wind or some poo poo.

Blue Labrador fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 27, 2021

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Keith David will voice every character in FFXVI

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Paul and Headey (and Sean Bean) are only in the movie Kingsglaive, not in the game itself (Headey's character is in the game but has a different VA)

The game does have an opening theme by Florence + the Machine so that's something

Veib fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 27, 2021

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER posted:

I got FFXV the other day because it was 50% off on steam, and so thought i'd better finally sit down to watch Kingsglaive. (playing the actual game is somewhere in the backlog because i've still got FFX and FFXII to finish).

I kind of admire how they have apparently no interest in making anything resembling a proper movie and make something which genuinely is just a feature length final fantasy cutscene. I think maybe Aaron Paul is the least miscast out of the big name actors? Lena Headey manages to negotiate some pretty goofy dialogue pretty well (never thought I'd hear her talking about MagiTek) and Sean Bean just does the same poo poo he did in oblivion and suchlike and sounds too young. But I mean the entire film has practically the same shape and function as the intro FMV to FFXII - set up the world and the central conflict and a bit of mystery - and the idea of going to a movie theatre to watch the opening cutscene of a game is pretty weird but again, i kind of admire that they are apparently playing to just such an audience. I watched half of it on the tv and half of it on my laptop in bed which i guess is the "long tail"

Well the movie was straight to video (or uh Blu-ray) the only FF movie that got a cinema release was the one that almost killed Square so they tend not to be interested in that anymore lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I watched both Kingsglaive and the Brotherhood anime and haven't gotten past Chapter 4 in the game yet lol

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Final Fantasy movies peaked with the FF5 sequel anime.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Spirits Within had Alec Baldwin, Donald Sutherland, Ming Na-Wen, and Ving Rhames. They aren't lacking to find voice over talent when they want to.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Mega64 posted:

Final Fantasy movies peaked with the FF5 sequel anime.

Tell me more

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I'm sad they haven't brought back Keith David for more stuff, he really loved his role as Chaos.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Is that the isekai where the kids get transported to a generic FF land and each episode ends with a summon spell like Pokemon

Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTYG5E4aykg&t=1106s

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Mar 27, 2021

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

jokes posted:

Tell me more

It was two OVAs, I think. It had basically nothing to do with FFV except there was the ghost of Mid who had been killed by aliens that stole Cid’s brain.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Is that the one with Butz's daughter having the crystal in her crotchular area and you see it glowing through her panties

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Theres a gag that it makes her butt glow yes

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Rabanastre has big Naboo vibes

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Alec Eiffel posted:

Rabanastre has big Naboo vibes

FF12 is very much Star Wars

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Asterite34 posted:

amarant only ever calls zidane 'monkey' and iirc has a line if you talk to him in town after you find out about the genomes where hes like 'a whole race of monkeys...' thus managing the impressive task of being racist against a race he didnt even know existed

edit: also the entire ff12 party really hates bangaa

Endorph fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Mar 27, 2021

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Endorph posted:

amarant only ever calls zidane 'monkey' and iirc has a line if you talk to him in town after you find out about the genomes where hes like 'a whole race of monkeys...' thus managing the impressive task of being racist against a race he didnt even know existed

Amarant holding the record for the worst party member in the series?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I regularly forget that Amarant is a character

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Hating bangaa makes no sense, that's the coolest non-moogle race in Ivalice

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

HD DAD posted:

I regularly forget that Amarant is a character

Every so often I remember that he’s not optional

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Endorph posted:

No, they mostly hate Ba’Gamnan and his crew.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

They force bagamnan into slavery under pain of death in ff12-2!

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Endorph posted:

They force bagamnan into slavery under pain of death in ff12-2!

Yeah it’s hosed up but that doesn’t mean they hate bangaa, just Ba’Gamnan

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Veib posted:

Paul and Headey (and Sean Bean) are only in the movie Kingsglaive, not in the game itself (Headey's character is in the game but has a different VA)

The actor who took over from Lena Headey to play Luna in the game also plays Candie in Twin Peaks Season 3 :eng101:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SqgCnLcOQ0

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Countblanc posted:

Hating bangaa makes no sense, that's the coolest non-moogle race in Ivalice

It's jealousy.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Oh no. I'm at the Calm Lands again. That means it's time for the worst thing ever created by humanity. The loving Sun Sigil race. There is nothing that you could do to make that minigame worse, it's already as bad as it possibly can be. lovely controls in a minigame that requires precise timing? Check. A pain in the rear end opponent you're not even racing against but exists solely to gently caress you over by grabbing balloons? Check. Birds punishing you twice as much as the game suggests because they penalize you three seconds in addition to stopping you? Check.

I hate the person who made this minigame so much, and I also hate the QA testers who didn't beat the hell out of that man until he made it into something resembling playable.

thetoughestbean posted:

It was two OVAs, I think. It had basically nothing to do with FFV except there was the ghost of Mid who had been killed by aliens that stole Cid’s brain.

Linaly was the descendant of Bartz, and we find out that Tycoon has done a Zelda thing where apparently every queen is named Lenna in honor of the Light Warriors but yeah. No Exdeath, no Greg, and nothing about the crystals really except the one in Linaly's butt. It does have one scene of the original Light Warriors + Cid though at the end of the series.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is that the isekai where the kids get transported to a generic FF land and each episode ends with a summon spell like Pokemon

That's Final Fantasy Unlimited which is incredibly boring and not based on any FF game in particular. There is however less glowing butts and less underwear tickle torture in Unlimited so maybe it's better than Legend of the Crystals.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Leal posted:

Is that the one with Butz's daughter having the crystal in her crotchular area and you see it glowing through her panties

well that sure was a thing to read

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.

jokes posted:

Tell me more

It's some prime 90's anime, but over all pretty fun. The panty stuff other people mentioned is there and pretty questionable, :shrug:. It's connection to V is only a smidge more than name drops, but still feels pretty final fantasy. The chocobos are, well, odd but apparently it's close to Amano concept art.

The English dub is pretty charming too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU_LfS4ODFs&t=4194s

Free Drinks fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 27, 2021

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
The English dub localizes Bartz's name as BATS by the way.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

Well the movie was straight to video (or uh Blu-ray) the only FF movie that got a cinema release was the one that almost killed Square so they tend not to be interested in that anymore lol

Nah, Kingsglaive had a (mid-tier in Japan, extremely limited in the US) theatrical release distributed by Sony's animation subsidiary before it hit streaming/disc.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

there's a final fantasy isekai manga, lost stranger, that's actually decent. utterly massive tits tho

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Twelve by Pies posted:

Oh no. I'm at the Calm Lands again. That means it's time for the worst thing ever created by humanity. The loving Sun Sigil race. There is nothing that you could do to make that minigame worse, it's already as bad as it possibly can be. lovely controls in a minigame that requires precise timing? Check. A pain in the rear end opponent you're not even racing against but exists solely to gently caress you over by grabbing balloons? Check. Birds punishing you twice as much as the game suggests because they penalize you three seconds in addition to stopping you? Check.

I hate the person who made this minigame so much, and I also hate the QA testers who didn't beat the hell out of that man until he made it into something resembling playable.

FFX is very good overall but has the worst endgame/minigames in the series. Who are the people who enjoyed this, butterfly catching, or fuckin' lightning dodging? What is the fun factor? I assume they wanted quests that were walkthrough-proof?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Endorph posted:

there's a final fantasy isekai manga, lost stranger, that's actually decent. utterly massive tits tho

What’s the downside

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
there's a final fantasy isekai manga, lost stranger, that's actually decent. utterly massive tits too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

thetoughestbean posted:

What’s the downside

The isekai part