Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

I know some purists probably disagree, but I love the crafting mat requirement changes. I feel like I can build more than 1-2 weapon types without endless farming now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Oh hey I found the Shrine Ruin Sub-Camp while doing a mission that had me to kill the little Izuchis wonder what I need to do to unlock it?

"Slay 8 Izuchi in the Shrine Ruins"

:negative:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Also I think food buff persists through death now? Or at least the max health/stamina component does?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oxyclean posted:

Also I think food buff persists through death now? Or at least the max health/stamina component does?

Another excellent change.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Oxyclean posted:

Yeah, the loading screen tips seem to suggest that they only expire when you finish/give up on a quest, which owns.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I’ve seen people mention the switch axe has different modes but I don’t see those in the switch skills - are there literally different weapon trees with different play styles? Very cool if so, I know Gunlance has different shelling types which I never understood

It has an axe mode and a sword mode if you're speaking motion-wise, and has a few phial types which dictate what sword mode's elemental discharges and charged state will do to the monster. Elemental does what it says on the box, while power boosts your raw damage by that amount instead. There are a few others, like status and exhaust phials, but I've never really messed around with those. It's not as fundamentally different in approach as the Gunlance with its shell types, but the differences in attack or additional damage boosts do help if you're leaning more into discharges.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Retro42 posted:

I know some purists probably disagree, but I love the crafting mat requirement changes. I feel like I can build more than 1-2 weapon types without endless farming now.

anything that makes it easier to play around with different weapon types is great in my book.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Bleh. Don't get the hori split pad if you intend to put dpad buttons on the back buttons. You can't cross map. Meaning the right handle can only map buttons physicaly on it. And vice versa for the left.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

Kilazar posted:

Bleh. Don't get the hori split pad if you intend to put dpad buttons on the back buttons. You can't cross map. Meaning the right handle can only map buttons physicaly on it. And vice versa for the left.

Thanks for the heads up. I assume the same does not apply for the pro controller, given that it's just..one unit?

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Iymarra posted:

Thanks for the heads up. I assume the same does not apply for the pro controller, given that it's just..one unit?

I would assume it's not the same. But I don't have the pro controller. I use the power a ones with back assignable buttons.

Need to find a handheld solution though for hunting at work.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I was going to do charge blade but I forgot how miserable it is without duration extenders and amplifiers coming from late game iceborne...

sooooo I'm back on switch axe, the laziest of weapons. sharpness? hit zones? pfft sword go brrrrrrrr

I'll probably try cb again when I can make an armor set to support it

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
When I watch these monster intros, my brain keeps wanting the Mega Man boss theme to play at the end, like in MMX3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZDVaYZy1oM

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Made it through the 1-star hub quests and I have to say that the wirebugs make such an incredible difference with how to approach monsters with the Gunlance that I am definitely going to be going for Quick Sheath this time around. Being able to zip around like that in a flash is very powerful stuff.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Is it just me or does hammer have virtually 0 friendly fire? Even on smaller monsters I don’t see myself hitting allies often but I also don’t use the spin charge often

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Magnamalo is such a fun fight with CB, so many counter saed opportunities.

victrix posted:

I was going to do charge blade but I forgot how miserable it is without duration extenders and amplifiers coming from late game iceborne...

sooooo I'm back on switch axe, the laziest of weapons. sharpness? hit zones? pfft sword go brrrrrrrr

I'm not finding it to be bad thanks to the counter phial fill up. I don't think I'd even get focus at all and cap boost (load shells) seems not worth either anymore

MMF Freeway fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 27, 2021

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

victrix posted:

Uh.. abuse the silk bind. Silk bind block into x with red shield fills sword and phials. Silk bind counter into xa saed. I almost never really have to worry about extends. It even feels like my red shield is extended on successful silk bind counters

You get even less maint on savage axe cause it builds it's own phials. And you can silk bind counter to x to insta swap into spintime. Skipping the condensed blade charge.

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 27, 2021

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Switch Ax feels a lot better to play if you don’t use one with Power Phial. The other types charge to Amped State way way faster. You get way more explosions.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
Can someone please explain capturing to me? In every Monster Hunter I've played it never works and I just waste all my poo poo.

I was fighting the giant bear thing, it had run away a bunch and was weakened, I got the voice prompt that it was weak and could be captured. Dropped a stun trap, lured it into it, and started throwing all my tranq bombs in its face while it was trapped. Threw four in a row and as I was throwing my fifth it just walked out of the trap. The trap lasted for maybe five seconds and I was chucking bombs as fast as I could into it and landed all of them but it still just broke the trap.

What am I doing wrong?

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Aerox posted:

Can someone please explain capturing to me? In every Monster Hunter I've played it never works and I just waste all my poo poo.

I was fighting the giant bear thing, it had run away a bunch and was weakened, I got the voice prompt that it was weak and could be captured. Dropped a stun trap, lured it into it, and started throwing all my tranq bombs in its face while it was trapped. Threw four in a row and as I was throwing my fifth it just walked out of the trap. The trap lasted for maybe five seconds and I was chucking bombs as fast as I could into it and landed all of them but it still just broke the trap.

What am I doing wrong?

Wait until you see the blue icon under the monster in the upper corner.

Or more reliably wait for them to limp away and set traps in their lair while they sleep.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Aerox posted:

What am I doing wrong?

Does the monster have a blue skull icon in its portrait in the corner? Are you standing right by the monster when using the tranq bombs with just the Y button?

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Does the monster have a blue skull icon in its portrait in the corner? Are you standing right by the monster when using the tranq bombs with just the Y button?

I didn't check the icon but I got a voice prompt where my guy yelled "IT'S WEAK! YOU CAN CAPTURE IT NOW!" so I thought that was the signal. Does he just randomly yell that sometimes for no reason?

Also wasn't dropping them, was using ZL to aim and throw. Does that not capture monsters?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Aerox posted:

I didn't check the icon but I got a voice prompt where my guy yelled "IT'S WEAK! YOU CAN CAPTURE IT NOW!" so I thought that was the signal. Does he just randomly yell that sometimes for no reason?

Also wasn't dropping them, was using ZL to aim and throw. Does that not capture monsters?

As long as you hit them it's fine, but dropping them with Y while standing right on them while in a trap is more consistent.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah the traditional monster hunter way is to be slamming the fart bombs right in the monster's face when it's trapped

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
PSA for all the cool kids who rock the Charge Bae. I don't think the game was explicit on this point, but Morphing Advance can be used when you're already in Axe Mode, AS WELL AS SAVAGE AXE!!!

The added mobility takes your Chainsaw Battle-Axe game to the next level. I'm still on 4-Star missions, but I'm absolutely clowning on everything I come up against so far.

Also I fuckin' love the return of all the monster-specific weapons.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Relatedly, do monsters go to sleep when injured? I haven't seen it but maybe I need to hang further back when they retreat

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

MMF Freeway posted:

Relatedly, do monsters go to sleep when injured? I haven't seen it but maybe I need to hang further back when they retreat

They do and yes you probably need to hang out for a second outside of the area they're in. They seem to notice you if you're nearby. I had this happen with Aknosom where I was like in the entry way leading into their nest area and it roared and blitzed right at me.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Other things I noticed:

You can't crouch mid-drink like you could in World to speed it up. (Not clear if just standing still speeds up drinking.)

No Poogie?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Oxyclean posted:

Other things I noticed:

You can't crouch mid-drink like you could in World to speed it up. (Not clear if just standing still speeds up drinking.)

No Poogie?

Nah, doesn't seem like. I just ride my dog mid-fight if I need to use an item but still be mobile.

No Poogie that I've seen. Pretty sure it's just Cahoot, for now at least.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

How do I get more clothes for my owl buddy?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Electric Phantasm posted:

How do I get more clothes for my owl buddy?

Villager requests.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

PSA for all the cool kids who rock the Charge Bae. I don't think the game was explicit on this point, but Morphing Advance can be used when you're already in Axe Mode, AS WELL AS SAVAGE AXE!!!

The added mobility takes your Chainsaw Battle-Axe game to the next level. I'm still on 4-Star missions, but I'm absolutely clowning on everything I come up against so far.

Also I fuckin' love the return of all the monster-specific weapons.

Can you please explain this a bit further for those of us new to charge blade, please?

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

Tried to get back into CB. Haven't played this weapon since base world and oh god do I need a lot of practice to get back into the swing of things.

The hammer silk moves are so good it makes it hard to try anything else lol

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Kilazar posted:

And you can silk bind counter to x to insta swap into spintime. Skipping the condensed blade charge.

Oh poo poo

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Tying different weapon skill quests to different tiers is bullshit. Why should I need to wait until 6* Hub to get Dual Blades while other weapons get theirs at 4*?

:argh:

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Where are the mhr memes gooooons?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Tying different weapon skill quests to different tiers is bullshit. Why should I need to wait until 6* Hub to get Dual Blades while other weapons get theirs at 4*?

:argh:

I assumed every skill swap unlock gave every weapon something, but like, the order is different? At least, the first time I got new skills every weapon got something, but the number beside each weapon's skill was different.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Note on shrapnel shot:

Fun. Hits 3-4 body parts at the same time. Plus the small mons nearby. Basically everything in the center-ish part of the screen.

Using the low tier Shotgun LBG you pretty much point it in the general direction and hit EVERYTHING. Also, dunno if it’s just that gun or all guns, but spread shot fires 3 bullets split horizontally in a tight grouping as well.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Junkie Disease posted:

mhr memes deez nutz

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Iymarra posted:

Can you please explain this a bit further for those of us new to charge blade, please?

In Iceborne, the expansion for MonHun World, they added a new playstyle to the CB, less focused on landing the big flashy money-shot hit, Super Amped Elemental Discharge, or SAED. Instead, your shield would start spinning while in axe mode, effectively turning it into a giant chainsaw that lands multiple hits per hit. In Rise, the first Switch Ability for CB is to swap out the move that charges your sword for the ability to CHARGE BLADE GO BRRRRR.

The main downside to this would be the drastically reduced mobility, except that in Rise we have wirebugs now. CB's ZL+X is the Morphing Slash, that launches you a good bit forward and morphs you from Sword+Shield mode to Axe mode. The game doesn't really spell it out for you that you can use Morphing Advance when you're already in Axe Mode (or Savage Axe, which is what spinny-chainsaw-shield was called in Iceborne) and it doesn't morph you out of Axe or Savage Axe mode, so it's a wonderful upgrade that lets you stay on Mons and shred their faces.

You want to first charge your shield with your phials to maximize your damage, then ZR+A to start a charge, but "interrupt" it with X, which you will hold for just a bit, like less than 2 seconds. It will be pretty obvious when you're good to go. VERY IMPORTANT in Rise, when attacking in Savage Axe mode you have to HOLD the attack button during the hit to get the multi-hit. X will do regular attacks that (new in Rise) charge your phials, and A will use the phials to do extra damage. You want to alternate your A attacks though, or you'll combo into a SAED and exit Savage Axe mode, which would be a tragedy because why would you ever want to do that? X+A will go straight into an SAED.

The other, less important reason that people are excited for the return of Savage Axe is that SAED's hit window got narrowed in Rise so it's harder to land, so that playstyle is much more risky. I have wiffed a LOT of SAED in my day. But like I said, that's a secondary concern because Savage Axe is just SO FUCKIN' COOL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Junkie Disease posted:

MFW im just learning the light bowgun because iv never used it and i accidentally pick the Ahkomoor whatever bird hub quest to fight so ive already been carted twice because i dont know how TF this weapon works

https://twitter.com/TokuOoc/status/1375205858267684865?s=19