Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

DrDork posted:

The other possibility is that some dumb program is running that's causing the CPU to stay in a high-freq state, even if it doesn't really need to be. I run across that from time to time with Chrome--presumably some website is coded poorly and my CPU ends up sitting at max clocks and like 5% load until I kill it.

e; that's part of why I have made a pair of scripts to set the Windows max CPU freq to 50% / 100%, because I can leave it on 50% for daily driving and never notice any performance difference, but it does a good job keeping the power states low and so the cooling system never has much to do. Then I flip it to 100% for the few games I have where it actually matters and I want that full 4.8GHz.

Oh can you share those?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Ika posted:

Oh can you share those?

It's actually fantastically simple (which surprised me, given Windows and all). Make two .bat files that contain the following lines:

code:
powercfg -setacvalueindex SCHEME_BALANCED SUB_PROCESSOR PROCTHROTTLEMAX (1-100)
powercfg -setactive SCHEME_CURRENT
This assumes you're using the Balanced power scheme (which you should be because the High Performance one just locks at max freq the entire time). The trailing number is the percent you want to run it at. I use 80 for one and 100 for the other.

Note that the percentages under 100% are based off the CPU's stock frequency, not an OC'ed value, so for me on my 5600X 80% * 3.7Ghz = 2.9Ghz, while 100% lets the OC kick in and runs at 4.8Ghz.

You should also be able use these commands with anything that can kick off a program, like AutoHotkey or probably iCue, and make them into macro buttons or whatever if you don't like .bat files. Just make sure it can do both lines (and replace powercfg with powercfg.exe) since if you don't do the -setactive line it won't actually kick in.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Thanks for sharing those. I might give them a try.

Currently, I use Throttlestop profiles to limit my max core boost to base clock when I'm just doing day to day browsing or office stuff in case an app gets greedy. So base clock for the 10700k is 3.8ghz for 1-core through all-core load, and my "gaming" profile is 5.1 1-core through 4.9 all-core.

Whenever the creator of TS finishes adding profiles for the TPL tab as well, you'll be able to control short-long tdp via profiles which is super handy, but more so for mobile devices.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Thanks, may just place em on the desktop, or whip up something that triggers on process creation with a whitelist for high perf mode.

ColTim
Oct 29, 2011

Ika posted:

Thanks, may just place em on the desktop, or whip up something that triggers on process creation with a whitelist for high perf mode.

It sounds like it would be more convenient to have a button on your computer case to toggle those modes. Not sure what to label it though - "Supercharger"? "Afterburner"?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

ColTim posted:

It sounds like it would be more convenient to have a button on your computer case to toggle those modes. Not sure what to label it though - "Supercharger"? "Afterburner"?

Uber mode

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Nah, that makes it sound like you’re renting your computer out in the gig economy

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

ColTim posted:

Personally I ended up mapping them via iCue to keyboard macro buttons. I've got an old-style K95 with the full 18-pack, though, so I have buttons to spare. But you can do the same with AutoHotKey or whatever.

But yeah, replicating the old-school TURBO case-button would be cool.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010

DrDork posted:

But yeah, replicating the old-school TURBO case-button would be cool.

As a kid i remember being confused about if the turbo was activated or not, and probably what it even did. My Ultima 7 performance experience was probably gimped half the time.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Threadkiller Dog posted:

As a kid i remember being confused about if the turbo was activated or not, and probably what it even did. My Ultima 7 performance experience was probably gimped half the time.

Yeah, I remember having to actively ensure it was turned off when I was playing Wing Commander II or half the time the battle would start and I'd almost immediately die because game speed was directly tied to clock speed or somesuch and Turbo made it just way too fast.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

ColTim posted:

Nice!

Has to be RGB lit to make it conform to modern standards though.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I'm 100% in favor of a universal RGB standard where turning them on requires you to press a button that throttles your CPU to 4.77 mhz.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

K8.0 posted:

I'm 100% in favor of a universal RGB standard where turning them on requires you to press a button that throttles your CPU to 4.77 mhz.

Why?

I like overclocking and RGB.

Protip: you can turn down the brightness on a lot of things.

My 4 case light strips look stunning on the lower brightness settings. I have like 200 LEDs now and I’m still running all noctua a12x25s for cooling and silence.

Understanding rgb and overclocking is cool :colbert:

I started the pandemic with no RGB lol. Lets hear it for free time!

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I consider my PC a tool and not a toy so its stuck in the deepest corner under my desk, so I avoid RGB, but I will admit some setups look awesome. To each their own.

And if we are gonna add a physical gofaster stripe, might es well colorcode the state from on / medium / off

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

spunkshui posted:

Why?

Protip: you can turn down the brightness on a lot of things.

My 4 case light strips look stunning on the lower brightness settings. I have like 200 LEDs now and I’m still running all noctua a12x25s for cooling and silence.

Understanding rgb and overclocking is cool :colbert:

I started the pandemic with no RGB lol. Lets hear it for free time!

Trap sprung, nerdlinger! Now everyone knows you enjoy things.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

NewFatMike posted:

Trap sprung, nerdlinger! Now everyone knows you enjoy things.

Lol what a nerd.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

spunkshui posted:

I have like 200 LEDs now...

lmao this is legit awesome

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

spunkshui posted:

Why?

RGB is the worst trend because you need to run amazingly bad software to disable it. Since RGB lovers like you have made it impossible for sane people to build a computer that doesn't vomit rainbows without losing a bunch of performance and stability, I'm arguing it should be turned around on you. If someone has to suffer for RGB idiocy, it should be the RGB lovers.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Generally it’s the opposite?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Basically any RGB in my computer can be disabled by unplugging it. Not the small lights on the motherboard, I guess; but I might be able to disable them at a BIOS level. Never had a reason to bother checking.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
is it silly to dislike RGB for environmental reasons? it's probably barely a blip...

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Rinkles posted:

is it silly to dislike RGB for environmental reasons? it's probably barely a blip...

nerdlingers getting ruffled over literally single-digit wasteage of energy is always great, love the nerds who unironically argue that using a wireless phone charger is literally killing our planet, most likely while they're surrounded by devices that pull far more phantom power than the 2 watts or so that a wireless charger "wastes"...

and meanwhile they probably also ignore the energy used to manufacture and ship cables and stuff, if you break a couple cables over the life of the phone then you probably undid all the energy you saved by not using a wireless charger...

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

K8.0 posted:

Kingston kind of did that unironically with that one SSD with so many LEDs that turning then on caused the controller to overheat and slow to a crawl

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

K8.0 posted:

RGB is the worst trend because you need to run amazingly bad software to disable it. Since RGB lovers like you have made it impossible for sane people to build a computer that doesn't vomit rainbows without losing a bunch of performance and stability, I'm arguing it should be turned around on you. If someone has to suffer for RGB idiocy, it should be the RGB lovers.

#notlikeotherbuilders

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I've saved/repurposed at least two cases from the early 2000s just because they were completely closed cases where RGB doesn't leak out

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

K8.0 posted:

The motherboard has a bios switch to turn off its RGB and my strips.

The Corsair ram and AIO have a "hardware lighting mode" that tells it what to do when the program is not running.

None of this has anything to do with "stability." That's all voltage and stress tests.

I could make my computer pitch black but its more fun for it to look like Elsa's castle.

Recommending the poo poo out of these babies: https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/corsair-vengeance-pro-rgb-(4x-8gb)-3200-mhz-ddr4-review,1.html

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Mar 27, 2021

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

gradenko_2000 posted:

I've saved/repurposed at least two cases from the early 2000s just because they were completely closed cases where RGB doesn't leak out

I have a second, spare Inwin Q500 in my attic just in case

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Paul MaudDib posted:

and meanwhile they probably also ignore the energy used to manufacture and ship cables and stuff, if you break a couple cables over the life of the phone then you probably undid all the energy you saved by not using a wireless charger...

The cables are so cheap though. It is really hard for me to believe that cell phone charger cable manufacturing uses a lot of energy.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
Regarding RGB I don't care about it , but my latest system had mostly Corsair components, with a Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB case with the provided fan hub, so the entire system lit up like rainbow machine after booting.

But I found the Corsair ICUE software let me turn off most everything RGB in the case. Also I had my case sit on the floor, to the left of me, so I don't see any remaining RGB I couldn't easily turn off.

I kinda like the pulsating color options for the front case fans I could set in ICUE, but I normally leave it off since it distracts when I'm gaming in a darkened room.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

silence_kit posted:

The cables are so cheap though. It is really hard for me to believe that cell phone charger cable manufacturing uses a lot of energy.

Friend recently complained how his son had broken the USB-port on his cellphone and he really wasn't interested on paying 69€ for the repair on a 200€ phone, and he was even less interested on doing the work himself. Those ports don't fail often, but I bet the expenses of a single failed port would cover the wireless charging resources for a whole lot of people.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

RGB is cool/fine, these are toys. I like to have it blaring for a few days when I buy something and then I turn it off. People who get worked up over it are fuckin weird. Ok cya

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I don't really mind LEDs at all, I just wish they could all be disabled or set without the use of software. That blows on graphics cards.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

spunkshui posted:

The motherboard has a bios switch to turn off its RGB and my strips.

The Corsair ram and AIO have a "hardware lighting mode" that tells it what to do when the program is not running.

None of this has anything to do with "stability." That's all voltage and stress tests.

A lot of the RGB control software causes system instability. It's consistently awful. And even when there are options to "disable" RGB, it usually still starts on. I don't ever want to see that vomit, they should always be off by default. Let people who want a clown PC run clown software that loses you 3% performance, crashes your PC, and runs at ring 0 so it's a massive security risk.

e - by way of example, AFAIK there has still never been a version of iCue that doesn't cause BSODs for a significant number of users. When I mistakenly let Razer Chroma get installed a few months ago, it was causing gigabytes per day of memory leaks at ring 0 or 1 while doing literally nothing. All this software is like this, none of it is good, and also none of it actually properly disables the RGB 100% in any case I've ever seen. If all RGB was disabled by default and only people who clearly don't care if their system works right had to be victims of it, I'd have no complaints.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 27, 2021

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

K8.0 posted:

A lot of the RGB control software causes system instability. It's consistently awful. And even when there are options to "disable" RGB, it usually still starts on. I don't ever want to see that vomit, they should always be off by default. Let people who want a clown PC run clown software that loses you 3% performance, crashes your PC, and runs at ring 0 so it's a massive security risk.

e - by way of example, AFAIK there has still never been a version of iCue that doesn't cause BSODs for a significant number of users. When I mistakenly let Razer Chroma get installed a few months ago, it was causing gigabytes per day of memory leaks at ring 0 or 1 while doing literally nothing. All this software is like this, none of it is good, and also none of it actually properly disables the RGB 100% in any case I've ever seen. If all RGB was disabled by default and only people who clearly don't care if their system works right had to be victims of it, I'd have no complaints.

Im running a 30% overclock on my cpu, and a have 4 sticks of 3600 C18 ram im running at C16.

6 cores at 5ghz is plenty of performance for zoom/obs and gamming.

Zero BSODs the entire pandemic.

If you are having BSODs you have a problem that hasn't been solved.

I don't.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Yea sometimes the problem is RGB software

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

MSI dragon center definitely fucks with my oc settings and Argus monitor fan profiles, but if I uninstall it leds turn back on. So now every reboot I have to kill the process after it loads and turns the leds off, and then reset my oc profiles in afterburner and ts.

Dragon center is a buggy piece of poo poo.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Well, I cant vouch for RGB software outside of iCUE because since I was starting from scratch with no glowing lights I stuck to one company.

I always recommend people stick to just one.

Id be cool if intel made something interesting for us to talk about lol

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

You aren't excited about Rocket Lake?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

spunkshui posted:

Id be cool if intel made something interesting for us to talk about lol

Besides mistakes, you mean?