Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Alan_Shore posted:

Seth is cool. Al Jean... is absolutely not cool

Yeah seth is cooler and he has a winning smile, don't you find?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Mr Interweb posted:

that's crazy. i guess i can kind of see the difference, but i didn't even think digital ink and paint was even a thing for most studios (film or t.v.) until the the aughts the EARLIEST

You're off by about 10 years. Digital ink and paint was a thing in the 80s - Disney did a few special things with it, a few episodes of the Jetsons revival were done with it if I remember correctly. By the mid-90s, almost all American theatrical productions had switch to digital.

TV stuck with cels for a bit longer. I did read that Warner did it to be safe for HD - they knew it was coming, and with film you would have the resolution to produce an HD version when the time came. With digital, you would have to have the original files. The other reason I can guess at is because television production needs to move faster, it just took longer for cels to be replaced. The animation houses knew how to produce good work. Like, some early digital stuff looks terrible. The one that comes to mind is Legends of the Galactic Heroes. The second season of side stories was digital, and it looks like it was colored in Microsoft Paint. It just looks really stiff and flat.

The main thing to look for, if you want to know if something is cel or not, are shadows. You'll sometimes see a slight shadow around the characters because of how they're shooting this stuff. It's more common in television - high quality theatrical work tried to avoid it as much as possible, but it will crop up from time to time.

Or you can look at the credits. But why would you do that?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Like, some early digital stuff looks terrible. The one that comes to mind is Legends of the Galactic Heroes. The second season of side stories was digital, and it looks like it was colored in Microsoft Paint. It just looks really stiff and flat.

Worse is when they re-do some shots of the original OVA, but not others. So some characters jump massively in character-design and colouring between shots.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I always kinda liked how the you can occasionally see the rounded corners of the animation frame on the home releases of pre-digital King of the Hill

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Yeah seth is cooler and he has a winning smile, don't you find?

And that singing voice!

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Dude always struck me as a misogynist, but to be fair I have a strong mental correlation between easy listening singers and woman beating.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Pretty good posted:

I always kinda liked how the you can occasionally see the rounded corners of the animation frame on the home releases of pre-digital King of the Hill

Funny enough, you probably wouldn't have seen them when the show originally aired. Modern televisions don't have overscan, which older TVs did. So picture elements in the extreme edges of the picture would probably be covered up by the tv, so chances are, they didn't worry about a few flaws like that.

Nowadays, you can see all of that. It's usually not too interesting since in theory you could have seen it - but I think it comes up on older videogames. Like, the edge of SMB3 - there's a bar of visual gibberish. It's normally hidden by the TV, but now, it's clear as day.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Seth's okay. He's really great at accurately making fun of himself which I find really admirable in a person but also he was unironically friends with rush limbaugh so on the other hand gently caress him maybe.

American Dad has the better song parodies by a lot though thanks to Scott Grimes, voice of Steve.

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
Pretty messed up he almost died in 9/11

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Matt Groaning is an epstein creep, Seth McFarlane afaik is not an epstein creep, and has leveraged his success into making a new Star Trek show

Plenty in common though, like their second show being vastly better than the shambling remains of their first

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
There was some weirdness with him dating a cast member of his Star Trek show and then her quitting after a season, but I've never heard anyone say anything about the guy other than he's great to work with.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I remember seeing Seth for the first time when he was hosting something on Adult Swim decades ago. His face made me so uncomfortable. Like, he just looks like a caricature from an old comic where they were not subtle at all about "There's something weird with this guy." I feel like his face just never changed expressions or something. But who knows.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Hrist posted:

I remember seeing Seth for the first time when he was hosting something on Adult Swim decades ago. His face made me so uncomfortable. Like, he just looks like a caricature from an old comic where they were not subtle at all about "There's something weird with this guy." I feel like his face just never changed expressions or something. But who knows.

I remember watching that. That was part of the joke. It was supposed to be weird, I mean it's Adult Swim.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
He doesn't smile with his eyes. It's a very Osmond family, Stepford Wife, we're-doped-to-the-gills-on-anti-depressants kind of smile.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

The main thing I remember from Seth is when he hosted the Oscars and sang a song called "We Saw Your Boobs." Which was pretty gross and disgusting.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Cemetry Gator posted:

The main thing I remember from Seth is when he hosted the Oscars and sang a song called "We Saw Your Boobs." Which was pretty gross and disgusting.
It’s funny that he mentioned Charlize Theron in that and later wrote her into The Orville to kiss his character.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

No but you see, it was "in the future" and then he had a gay men's choir come out and sing it, so it's not gross and cringey at all, it's just tongue in cheek and playful!

Also funny that he mentioned Jennifer Lawrence in the song and then like all the personal photos of her butthole and tits got leaked like a year later, great timing on that one

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I remember watching that. That was part of the joke. It was supposed to be weird, I mean it's Adult Swim.

To be fair, I have seen pictures of him since then, and probably saw him on some other channel. His face is still just as weird looking. :shrug:

Imagined posted:

He doesn't smile with his eyes. It's a very Osmond family, Stepford Wife, we're-doped-to-the-gills-on-anti-depressants kind of smile.

This is probably it. His eyes are the first thing that I always remember about him. They just make his face odd or something.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Hrist posted:

He cast himself as the lead man in "A Million Ways to Die in the West," and cast Charlize Theron as the love interest, and the difference in attractiveness was one of the weirder parts of that movie. The dude can act, but he has a face for radio.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

I have extremely ambivalent feelings towards Seth Macfarlane, which is how I got this avatar.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

PinheadSlim posted:

Seth's okay. He's really great at accurately making fun of himself which I find really admirable in a person but also he was unironically friends with rush limbaugh so on the other hand gently caress him maybe.

This is an unambiguous red flag and moral failing

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

The problem was that it was part of an increasing trend of veering out of their lane. The Simpsons was initially grounded in reality and had plausible scenarios that a real family might deal with, with occasional cartoonish lapses (i.e. Homer falling down the cliff repeatedly, the monorail episode).

Speaking of this, kind of at least a bit, the whole "so you kids want to see everyday problems and far out magical things" brain scratcher in the Itchy & Scratchy & Poochy episode that's supposed to be impossible to fulfill. It's always bugged me because "fantasy creatures / mages / scifi elves dealing with everyday problems" has been a staple of comics and books since there's been comics and books.

poo poo, Adventure Time and a bunch of other shows that are a lot more popular than the Simpsons were built on that exact premise.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Hell, the Simpsons did it in You Only Move Twice. Homer's working for a Bond villain, but the heart of the episode is he's happy at work but his family hates the new town.

Edit: and finding out about Seth being close with Rush is a huge nope for me. Rush even played himself on the show. Seth considers himself a liberal, but how can you square that by supporting a guy who literally celebrated the death of gay people from HIV and still kept broadcasting.

Cemetry Gator fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Mar 28, 2021

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
I actually like seth's face but it should be noted I literally have issues processing and recalling faces.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

This is an unambiguous red flag and moral failing

Like Ellen being friends with GW Bush, their race and class similarities are more important than any political differences. Any issue that doesn't affect rich white people is just a hobby to them.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Speaking of this, kind of at least a bit, the whole "so you kids want to see everyday problems and far out magical things" brain scratcher in the Itchy & Scratchy & Poochy episode that's supposed to be impossible to fulfill. It's always bugged me because "fantasy creatures / mages / scifi elves dealing with everyday problems" has been a staple of comics and books since there's been comics and books.

poo poo, Adventure Time and a bunch of other shows that are a lot more popular than the Simpsons were built on that exact premise.

Yeah, though it's hard to say given the focus group testers running it are specifically set up to be dumb as poo poo and have no idea what they're doing, hence throwing together Poochie as a gimmick to raise ratings. There's a loose reference to the show, a very traditional and formulaic cartoon, losing ratings to anime, ('Chinese cartoons about robots that transform into blingwads') made in a way that makes it clear that Krusty and the suits don't understand the appeal at all of what they're trying to compete with- and as the episode demonstrates clearly, of what their own show's appeal is. Kinda comes off as a similar situation as the Herb Powell episode. (based on a similar real life situation of course)

Feels like this has come up before, but it's a fun topic. Especially since more recent hits like Adventure Time, Steven Universe, and Gravity Falls are by a generation of creators that are clearly familiar with anime and have incorporated not just blatant references but themes and ideas from it alongside tried-and-true western cartoon fare. Though even before that, I think there was a reason you had an explosion of Adult Swim type subversive and experimental shows finally breaking the boundaries of how formulaic and limited the medium had become.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
You know, I was writing a huge-rear end post of cartoons where fantastical meets mundane, but then I realized it'd be shorter if I listed the ones where it was only one or the other. That's one of the primary strengths of animation.

I got Doug. But I think there was a swamp monster episode of some poo poo, idk.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Das Boo posted:

You know, I was writing a huge-rear end post of cartoons where fantastical meets mundane, but then I realized it'd be shorter if I listed the ones where it was only one or the other. That's one of the primary strengths of animation.

I got Doug. But I think there was a swamp monster episode of some poo poo, idk.

KoTH?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

You get a little more leeway with adult animation, but fair point!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There's some arguments to be made depending on the level of integration of the fantastic and mundane, like with superhero stuff or full blown magic realism, though I suppose it's easy to read too much into it.

I feel part of the joke is that Itchy and Scratchy is comically simplistic and strictly formulaic, being styled after classic era shorts, with little in the way of real characterisation and continuity at all. The implication seems to be that its makers are incapable of comprehending anything other than what they specifically make, and can't meaningfully process feedback because they won't let go of their assumptions.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Urdnot Fire posted:

It’s funny that he mentioned Charlize Theron in that and later wrote her into The Orville to kiss his character.

Iirc Kevin Smith did the same thing with Stacie Mistysyn (Caitlin) when he guest-starred on Degrassi, and it was so loving weird & creepy, not to mention completely out of character.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's a loose reference to the show, a very traditional and formulaic cartoon, losing ratings to anime, ('Chinese cartoons about robots that transform into blingwads')

those were in the poochie episode?

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Mr Interweb posted:

those were in the poochie episode?
Krusty was threatening to replace Itchy and Scratchy with one of them. Lucky for Roger Meyers, he’s a lazy, lazy man.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Cemetry Gator posted:

Edit: and finding out about Seth being close with Rush is a huge nope for me. Rush even played himself on the show. Seth considers himself a liberal, but how can you square that by supporting a guy who literally celebrated the death of gay people from HIV and still kept broadcasting.
It's the bolded part op

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Did they get a black guy for Carl's voice or is his voice actor dying like Marge? I honestly can't tell.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They did indeed replace Carl with an African American voice actor.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Hibbert too

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The new one Marge gets stuck chaperoning the kids overnight on a field trip to a battleship.

She gets stuck with Sarah Wiggum, who seems boring but then gets drunk and loosens up. Then they get bagged and kidnapped off the battleship by Sarah's former partners in crime, who were pickpockets with her.

Whoever does Sarah Wiggum long long ago forgot what that voice sounds like.

There's a flashback to their last job going bad. The two of them got arrested, Sarah slips away, Lindsay Nagle (the 4th team member) escapes with the big diamond they were stealing. They team up with Marge to steal it back from her at essentially the Met Gala but in Springfield. In the process, Marge essentially pushes Nagle down ... like a million stairs that she falls down like Daffy Duck. I wish I could find a clip because it's very weirdly cartoonish and also pretty brutal, but no one cares about the Simpsons enough to make clips.

Ron Swanson voiced the battleship captain and Bob Seger voiced himself in a plotline I didn't care to mention. Oh and Megan Mulally voiced Sarah Wiggum, which explains why she sounds nothing like she used to.

This was the only gag I sorta liked:

https://twitter.com/mattselman/status/1376325156197396481

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Mar 30, 2021

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

PostNouveau posted:

The new one Marge gets stuck chaperoning the kids overnight on a field trip to a battleship.

She gets stuck with Sarah Wiggum, who seems boring but then gets drunk and loosens up. Then they get bagged and kidnapped off the battleship by Sarah's former partners in crime, who were pickpockets with her.

Whoever does Sarah Wiggum long long ago forgot what that voice sounds like.

There's a flashback to their last job going bad. The two of them got arrested, Sarah slips away, Lindsay Nagle (the 4th team member) escapes with the big diamond they were stealing. They team up with Marge to steal it back from her at essentially the Met Gala but in Springfield. In the process, Marge essentially pushes Nagle down ... like a million stairs that she falls down like Daffy Duck. I wish I could find a clip because it's very weirdly cartoonish and also pretty brutal, but no one cares about the Simpsons enough to make clips.

Ron Swanson voiced the battleship captain and Bob Seger voiced himself in a plotline I didn't care to mention. Oh and Megan Mulally voiced Sarah Wiggum, which explains why she sounds nothing like she used to.

This was the only gag I sorta liked:

https://twitter.com/mattselman/status/1376325156197396481

That's such a lazy hack joke. It's depressing that the Simpsons used to be quickwitted and subversive and now it just makes gay = funny jokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

That's such a lazy hack joke. It's depressing that the Simpsons used to be quickwitted and subversive and now it just makes gay = funny jokes.
They did a better version over 22 years ago, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4alScMyhiU