Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

LeeMajors posted:

Oh my god I forgot UT hired him and I’m cackling all over again.

"If we're gonna be bad, we might as well be interesting"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Important spring NAIA football news

https://twitter.com/ACUFirestorm/status/1376030066128396289

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Good for him for nailing the kick, but that planting foot has to be taking some serious abuse.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Holy crap he's 5'5" 285. He's both tiny and very decidedly not tiny.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I would take a bullet for the Square Kicker

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I want to see this kid on First Take tomorrow.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

MourningView posted:

I would take a bullet for the Square Kicker

Same. Hopefully he doesn’t end up like that punter who was the butt end of every fat joke from the internet.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Grittybeard posted:

Holy crap he's 5'5" 285. He's both tiny and very decidedly not tiny.

His bio says he played soccer in high school. I'd imagine he was back line, but I hope he was a striker.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

https://twitter.com/ShyMarcus/status/1376249877814894593

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

that's a dense boy

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I’m losing my poo poo at The Round Mound of Point after touchdown

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Designated place thicker.

The chat thread was pointing out a number of times when non-kickers came in to kick PATs in recent years, including apparently Suh?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

harperdc posted:

Designated place thicker.

The chat thread was pointing out a number of times when non-kickers came in to kick PATs in recent years, including apparently Suh?

Suh kicked a PAT once. He hooked it.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

loving homeboy hell yes

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Suh kicked a PAT once. He hooked it.

The Lions would go on to lose that game in overtime.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

The Lions would go on to lose that game in overtime.

Yeah that sounds about right.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

shim did you watch a down of college football this year

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Declan MacManus posted:

shim did you watch a down of college football this year

Yeah a good bit. But I have no rooting interest since my school UMass is literally the worst in the country and probably always will be after being forced to jump up to D1. Why?

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I want some sort of longform piece on the 2020 UMass season. How did they decide to play nothing but four body-bag games?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

The Supreme Court has a hearing tomorrow on the Alston case. ESPN did a piece on the hearing.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/31158425/what-supreme-court-hearing-reveal-ncaa-future

Here's some of the meat of the article...

quote:

The Supreme Court of the United States will hear arguments on Wednesday about the financial limits placed on NCAA athletes in a case that could significantly shape the future of college sports.

During the past dozen years, the NCAA has slowly loosened its restrictions on the types of benefits college athletes in its system are allowed to receive -- a list that now includes payments that cover the full cost of attending college, additional healthcare and a pool of money that is distributed to help athletes with unexpected expenses such as having to fly home for a family member's funeral.

Changes have come largely in response to steady pressure from federal antitrust lawsuits. The case in front of the Supreme Court this week, Alston v. NCAA, is the latest push to add more. While the case doesn't deal directly with athletes signing endorsement deals (more on this below), the justices' decision could prove to be the first major lever pulled in what promises to be a transformative summer when it comes to college athletes making money.

For the first time in a generation, the nation's highest court is gearing up to weigh in on the business model of college sports. The case boils down to a simple and essential question: Who should get to define the limits of amateurism? Here's what you need to know heading into Wednesday's hearing.

What is the Alston case about?

A former West Virginia University football player named Shawne Alston sued the NCAA in 2014, claiming the organization violates the Sherman Antitrust Act by placing limits on what each school is allowed to give its athletes in exchange for their athletic ability. The Sherman Act says, in part, that businesses from the same industry cannot collude to hinder the kind of competition that drives America's economic system. Alston's legal team argued that when the NCAA's member schools mutually agree to place a cap on what they provide, it illegally prevents athletes from cashing in on their true value.

In this case and several others like it, the NCAA and its members have argued those limits are necessary to maintain amateurism, which they believe is essential to the success of their business. They contend fans will be less interested and pay less money to watch college games if they view the participants as minor league professionals instead of seeing them as students representing their school.

Judge Claudia Wilken, who has presided over most of the recent NCAA lawsuits from her courtroom in Northern California, decided in 2019 that the NCAA should be able to maintain its appeal with fans who want to think of college athletes as students as long as all the benefits that athletes receive are in some way "tethered to education." Therefore, in deciding the Alston case, she ruled that the NCAA could not place any limits on the education-related benefits that individual schools can give their athletes. Those benefits include equipment such as laptops and musical instruments, funding for internships and study abroad programs, and limited cash rewards for getting good grades.

The NCAA appealed Wilken's decision in 2020 and lost. Now, it is asking the Supreme Court to intercede.

The NCAA's attorneys claim Wilken's guidelines provide too much wiggle room and will become "thinly disguised" methods for schools to pay athletes for playing their sports. They argue Wilken overstepped her authority and is micromanaging decisions that the NCAA should be making about where to draw a line between amateurs and professional athletes. They contend this takes away the "ample latitude" to make the NCAA's own rules that was given to the NCAA by a Supreme Court ruling nearly 40 years ago.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Ehud posted:

The Supreme Court has a hearing tomorrow on the Alston case. ESPN did a piece on the hearing.

NCAA Football '30 is going to look great on my 4k OLED/PS6 setup.

Also, a Gator mod. Congrats. :toot:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Is Sonny Dykes the English-speaking world's most competent man who goes by "Sonny"?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

General Dog posted:

Is Sonny Dykes the English-speaking world's most competent man who goes by "Sonny"?

I'd go with Sonny Rollins, but not everyone is into jazz.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Sonny Jurgensen is in the NFL Hall of Fame, that has to count for something

Sonny Liston was heavyweight champion of the world

Sonny Bono was an undisputed success in his career even if you wanna give most of that to Cher

There are a surprising number of successful Sonnys, I guess.

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.

fast cars loose anus posted:

Sonny Jurgensen is in the NFL Hall of Fame, that has to count for something

Sonny Liston was heavyweight champion of the world

Sonny Bono was an undisputed success in his career even if you wanna give most of that to Cher

There are a surprising number of successful Sonnys, I guess.

Sonny Bono was successful in a lot of fields, just not skiing I guess.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

https://twitter.com/matt_stepp817/status/1377253277876822022?s=21

Was wondering where ol Chad would land. Allen HS to UCF bout to become a fertile pipeline for Gus!

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
In terms of coaching prestige, Allen HS has got to be equivalent to a good FCS program, right

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Morris is a solid dude (pending any unexpected milkshake ducks), I hope this turns out to be a good move for him.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

A good follow for today's arguments. The NCAA is getting killed right now.

https://twitter.com/SportsLawGuy/status/1377268466584055809

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Yeah I was already more optimistic about this one than I would be most things in front of this court and I'm only feeling better now

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

loving kill me

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
https://twitter.com/SportsLawGuy/status/1377261541087674375?s=20

Clarence Thomas is notorious for never, ever, EVER asking a question during arguments. He's only spoken a handful of times since joining the court in 1991. If he is choosing to dunk on you during arguments, you are in extremely bad shape.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Pakled posted:

In terms of coaching prestige, Allen HS has got to be equivalent to a good FCS program, right

Hell it's probably closer to the Sun Belt than the Southland. The big high-end high schools in DFW have football budgets around 7 to 10 million, which compares to Texas State at 8 million. Kansas is the smallest P5 budget at 14 million.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

God I hope NCAA gets a 9-0 ruling telling them to gently caress off.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

dirty shrimp money posted:

Hell it's probably closer to the Sun Belt than the Southland. The big high-end high schools in DFW have football budgets around 7 to 10 million, which compares to Texas State at 8 million. Kansas is the smallest P5 budget at 14 million.

What in gods name is a high school spending 10 million dollars a year on football spending it on? Yes I know they have giant rear end stadiums but is that counted?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

skaboomizzy posted:

Clarence Thomas is notorious for never, ever, EVER asking a question during arguments. He's only spoken a handful of times since joining the court in 1991. If he is choosing to dunk on you during arguments, you are in extremely bad shape.

The NCAA truly is the only organization than can unite the left and the right

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

skaboomizzy posted:

he's been talking a lot more since scalia died, usually for the worse, but he did at one point go a full decade without ever saying anything. he's actually been extra chatty in the covid hearings so maybe he was just shy before

he's also a gigantic nebraska football fan so I guess this made him care enough to do his job for a bit

Bird in a Blender posted:

God I hope NCAA gets a 9-0 ruling telling them to gently caress off.

So far Breyer is the only one who seems kind of sympathetic towards them but never want to read too much into oral arguments

MourningView fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Mar 31, 2021

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

The NCAA truly is the only organization than can unite the left and the right

At the highest legal level maybe but if you were to take a poll of say Alabama fans on whether the players should be paid I don’t think there’d be a good result. But obviously I can be wrong.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What in gods name is a high school spending 10 million dollars a year on football spending it on? Yes I know they have giant rear end stadiums but is that counted?

I hope it's stadium payments because I could think of a bunch of other poo poo they're spending it on -

- Coaching staff salary
- SEC/NFL level facilities, weight rooms, gyms, training, nutrition, slides
- Brand new equipment every year
- Charter transportation for road games
- Changing attendance zones to get star players from other schools (big here in Houston)
- Sending star players to camps to get college scouts' eyeballs on them - more likely boosters do this though
- Running an online team gift shop

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Mar 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

dirty shrimp money posted:

I hope it's stadium payments because I could think of a bunch of other poo poo they're spending it on -

- Coaching staff salary
- SEC/NFL level facilities, weight rooms, gyms, training, nutrition, slides
- Brand new equipment every year
- Charter transportation for road games
- Recruiting expenses, relocating families to get star players in the right attendance zone
- Sending star players to camps to get college scouts' eyeballs on them
- Running an online team gift shop

Christ will big shot high school programs really pay a family to up and move into their town?