Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There's a zero percent chance a sequel to a game released near the end of console life in a genre the creators aren't known for is the second most selling game in the franchise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
p5 strikers is as close to a new raidou game as we're likely to get

a re-release would be nice though

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Gaius Marius posted:

There's a zero percent chance a sequel to a game released near the end of console life in a genre the creators aren't known for is the second most selling game in the franchise

Especially when the english localization was a limited run of 40,000 copies and didn't come out in Europe at all

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Mar 28, 2021

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i think raidou is gone for good because they can't sell those games to any of their neighbors

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Doing a little bit of research on Japanese sales shows me that two years after release the game was estimated to have sold 162,041 copies overall with 37,316 those in its first year.

Looking at Atlus games released around the period for comparison: Devil Survivor 106,000 copies in its first year. Persona 3 Portable sold 183,283 first year. The Persona 1 remake sold 149,740 first year. Strange Journey sold 127,946 first year.

It's only not the worst selling overall Atlus game from 2008-2010 because Yggdra Union exists - and it still sold more in its launch year than RvKA did in its.

That's why the series is dead.

e: Nocture did 200,000 in its first two weeks like c'mon

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Mar 28, 2021

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

There's also the thing about not being able to use Raidou's design in China and Korea. Even if they wished to revive the subseries, they'd probably reboot it with new characters in a new setting.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Just put him in a different outfit?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Is Devil Summoner: Raidou and Devil Summoner: Soul Hacker two separate things or are they both considered under the Devil Summoner banner? Never been sure since they both have different gameplay.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

Creating a new model costs way more money then just not releasing the version with him

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Altho i guess they had to create new models anyway? Not actually sure how remasters like this work lol, since tbh they look super similar to the original game to me. I have bad eyes

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Tired Moritz posted:

Just because the outfit is the only problem with him in Nocturne, doesn't mean it would remain the only problem if they made another Raidou game. It's set in a part of Japan's history that REALLY doesn't play well in China and Korea given their places in it.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Electric Phantasm posted:

Is Devil Summoner: Raidou and Devil Summoner: Soul Hacker two separate things or are they both considered under the Devil Summoner banner? Never been sure since they both have different gameplay.

They're all considered part of the same Devil Summoner series, though Raidou was a PS2 era reboot of Devil Summoner to turn it into an action RPG and give it more of a distinct identity; sort of like Persona 3 was the PS2 era reboot of Persona that turned it into the life sim/RPG hybrid that it is today.
Though there's barely any common elements to all the games in the overall Devil Summoner series; all I can think of is the "normal" setting as opposed to the SMT post-apocalypse, the presence of the Kuzunoha devil summoner family, Victor and the Gouma-Den as the demon fusion location, and demon allies that talk during battle and have a Loyalty mechanic to manage.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Sub Series all share the conflict between traditionality and modernity, just expressed differently per game.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Set it in a new time period with a different Raidou Kuzunoha, like in the 80s

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Junpei posted:

Set it in a new time period with a different Raidou Kuzunoha, like in the 80s

This but I want to play as Old Man Raidou instead.

Set it in the 80's with a Raidou in his 80's.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
maybe have a hot new Raidou-successor as a sidekick, like Geirin and his student in King Abaddon

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
May Raidou's successor is Raiho, who is clearly cool, not hot.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Raidou gets called out of retirement for one last job when a demon possesses a container ship and uses it to block the Suez Canal.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Spinoff starring the time-travelling demon-summoning android, Rasputin.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
You can change the setting all you want but we're still running into the problem that Raidou Kuzunoha is not a brand that moves numbers and there's no compelling reason for Atlus to bring it back

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Blockhouse posted:

You can change the setting all you want but we're still running into the problem that Raidou Kuzunoha is not a brand that moves numbers and there's no compelling reason for Atlus to bring it back

and yet,

YggiDee posted:

Spinoff starring the time-travelling demon-summoning android, Rasputin.

Raidou games rules, thats the only reason atlus should need

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Blockhouse posted:

You do realize we're just messing around and having fun shooting ideas at each other right

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Blockhouse posted:

Ah poo poo now Atlus is gonna fire me :saddowns:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Atlus is like Raidon’t think so lol

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
quietly putting my story/setting/design doc for Digital Devil Saga: Avatar 2ner away before Manager Blockhouse sees it and defunds my whole division

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

quietly putting my story/setting/design doc for Digital Devil Saga: Avatar 2ner away before Manager Blockhouse sees it and defunds my whole division

And I need that report on my desk by the end of the day!!

Anyway sorry y'all I'm not trying to be a buzzkill

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Maybe one day I'll have the clout and money to suggest my Astral Chain But With SMT Demons idea

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Junpei posted:

Maybe one day I'll have the clout and money to suggest my Astral Chain But With SMT Demons idea

Hey maybe we could work together then, since I have an idea for DMC But In The Tokyo Millennium. :haw:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Junpei posted:

maybe have a hot new Raidou-successor as a sidekick, like Geirin and his student in King Abaddon

Nagi cute

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
We've had three completely separate branches of the SMT franchise with a talking cat, when are we getting one in a starring role.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

YggiDee posted:

We've had three completely separate branches of the SMT franchise with a talking cat, when are we getting one in a starring role.

persona 6 is going to be entirely talking cats. mona not included, but referenced in one (1) tv news dialogue box

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Persona but it takes place in Zootopia or something.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Actually Mona will show up, but these cats talk for a completely different reason and thus can’t understand him, so they don’t ever realize he’s also a talking cat

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

alternate take

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

YggiDee posted:

Speaking of has there been a Monster Hunter/SMT crossover yet.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

projecthalaxy posted:

alternate take

This but they're all Nekomatas and Oses

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
The next smt should feature Max Headroom as a demon

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

projecthalaxy posted:

alternate take

Purrfect

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Wrex Ruckus posted:

This but they're all Nekomatas and Oses

No Neko shogun or puss in boots?

Spiffster fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
does Flauros count