Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
I heard Raidou 3 is coming out soon and will save video games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

mandatory lesbian posted:

The next smt should feature Max Headroom as a demon

Heck Yeah new Soul Hackers

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Fr though the next side game should just be Montero

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

It's been long enough that I've convinced myself to revisit Persona 5 and play Royal for the first time.

It's close enough to the actual starting date of the game, and in order to spice things up while also keeping this playthrough going while I have a whole bunch of other stuff, I'm planning to play this game like a background game and do it in real time: as best I can, play through things on the actual date they occur.

This means I'll schedule palace runs when I can do them all on that day, and if for some reason I can't, I'll force myself to leave the palace and come back the next day. If I miss some days I'm not going to scuttle the run or anything, I'll just catch up when possible -- the main thing will not to get ahead of the real-life date. When the plot skips through days (like exams) I will just save as soon as possible and come back to it when real life has caught up.

I haven't spoiled myself too much for Royal, so is there anything I should keep in mind for this plan?

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It's been long enough that I've convinced myself to revisit Persona 5 and play Royal for the first time.

It's close enough to the actual starting date of the game, and in order to spice things up while also keeping this playthrough going while I have a whole bunch of other stuff, I'm planning to play this game like a background game and do it in real time: as best I can, play through things on the actual date they occur.

This means I'll schedule palace runs when I can do them all on that day, and if for some reason I can't, I'll force myself to leave the palace and come back the next day. If I miss some days I'm not going to scuttle the run or anything, I'll just catch up when possible -- the main thing will not to get ahead of the real-life date. When the plot skips through days (like exams) I will just save as soon as possible and come back to it when real life has caught up.

I haven't spoiled myself too much for Royal, so is there anything I should keep in mind for this plan?

Mainly that palaces and momentos days will be long as hell. Also you’ll need to keep in mind the later game palaces where you’re forced to do them on a certain day.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Christmas Eve is gonna own lol

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Prioritize the new confidants if you want to see all the new content.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Also when Morgana tells you it's time to go to sleep, you have to go to sleep in real life

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

That seems kinda like a hassle when 80% of days are skipped or like, 30 seconds of stat raising :confused:

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
The digital storefronts for the PS3, PSP, and PS Vita/PSTV are going to be shuttered in a few months, so here's an overview of Megaten games that are gonna be unavailable digitally once that happens:

- Persona 1 PSP, playable on PSP/Vita/PSTV
- Persona 2 Innocent Sin PSP, playable on PSP/Vita/PSTV
- Persona 2 Eternal Punishment PS1, playable on PS3/PSP/Vita/PSTV
- Persona 3 FES, playable on PS3
- Persona 3 Portable, playable on PSP/Vita/PSTV
- Persona 4 (original non-Golden version), playable on PS3
- Persona 4 Arena and Arena Ultimax (though they'll still be available for Xbox 360)
- Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2, playable on PS3 (DDS1 requires some fiddling in a semi-hidden configuration menu to not run like rear end)
- Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha 1 & 2, playable on PS3
- Nocturne/Lucifer's Call, playable on PS3 (though of course there's the HD version coming out in May) (also, don't buy this one from the European store, there's a bug that might cause the game to freeze right at the final boss fight of the TDE route)

Some of these might not be available in all regions; I know that the Raidou games are only on the US store. Thankfully it's fairly easy to make a US-based PSN account and fill it up with prepaid cards, and the PS3 has no problem letting you play games from other accounts on the same system, so you don't need to do any weird account swapping once the game is installed.

The Vita is way the gently caress more hassle though, it only supports one account at a time and requires a factory reset to switch to another account. And the memory cards are also locked to a single account and require formatting if you want to switch which account the card is tied to.

Let me know if I missed any.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Instant Grat posted:

The Vita is way the gently caress more hassle though, it only supports one account at a time and requires a factory reset to switch to another account. And the memory cards are also locked to a single account and require formatting if you want to switch which account the card is tied to.

It's possible to get around both of these limitations by softmodding your Vita, but note the lack of Vita exclusives on that list in the first place and just use a PSP instead if you have one.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Apparently this was up on the Nocturne HD Steam page for a bit before being taken down, story trailer featuring the English dub

https://youtube.com/watch?v=7vhkLjm_9eE

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Wait, it's voiced?? I'm scared to click the link...

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Artelier posted:

Wait, it's voiced?? I'm scared to click the link...

As a bonafide dub hater, it's legitimately pretty good.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Yeah, the dub seems just fine. I'd probably still play without because that's just how Nocturne is to me personally, but those are good voices IMHO.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Somebody else heard Cherami Leigh as Chiaki which is intriguing. It was one short line so I can't be certain but it be pretty awesome if she is in the game.

Might have to go Yosuga again.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Nocturne with va just feels strange to me.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I've mentioned before, but a game like Nocturne with voice acting just risks cheapening the whole experience. Most of the game's cast are horrible unearthly inhuman demons; why would they sound like a human?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

You know I gave Nintendo poo poo for releasing 3 old mario games for $60 and calling it a day

But I'm also about to buy Nocturne for $60. In a just world this would be like a... PS2 SMT family pack and they'd have Digital Devil Saga (Which I also never played)

Or maybe I just want them to go back to making more SMT games and spinoffs

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
But...they are? Smt v is this year

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Tae posted:

Yes! But it took around 5 years, plus we didn't get many SMT spinoffs in the meantime.

I don't have a timeline in front of me but I remember on the DS/3DS it felt like there were so many games I wasn't even buying some of them (Devil Survivor, Strange Journey, SMT 4 + A

I am excited for SMT5 though

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Yes! But it took around 5 years, plus we didn't get many SMT spinoffs in the meantime.

I don't have a timeline in front of me but I remember on the DS/3DS it felt like there were so many games I wasn't even buying some of them (Devil Survivor, Strange Journey, SMT 4 + A

I am excited for SMT5 though

Now imagine how bad the wait from Nocturne to SMT 4 was

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

There are some spoiler-light tips in the OP of the Persona thread for things not to miss in Royal. One specific confidant needs to be maxed by mid-November in order to unlock the third semester, and two others have deadlines and are missable. Specifically:

Harrow posted:

Persona 5 Royal - Councillor confidant, must be rank 9 by November 17; there are also two other new confidants, Justice and Faith, that aren't required to unlock the new content but are interesting and can be missed.

Also if you want to give updates about the experience of playing through in real time, the Persona thread would probably enjoy that. A friend of mine tried to do that for NG+ in vanilla Persona 5 but I think she got bored because, thanks to being NG+, there just wasn't anything to do on most days :v:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Sampatrick posted:

Now imagine it for Europe and Australia, who had to wait another sixteen months on top of that because of bullshit business reasons!

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Being a MegaTen fan in Europe used to really loving suck. Shouts out to Persona 4 Arena taking an extra 10 months to come out here, which wouldn't be so bad except Persona 4 Arena is the only region-locked game to ever be released for the PS3.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Sampatrick posted:

They released Strange Journey between the two, which is basically a main line game without the number. Though even then there were like 6 years between it and Nocturne.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Tae posted:

Is it though

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

I mean, it looks like it's fairly far along in production from what we've seen of it; plenty more than the only real examples of massive (non-PAL-region) release date drift in the series. Both Persona 5 and (obviously) SMT X Fire Emblem were clearly announced MUCH earlier than they should have been.

I can believe that they're keeping on track for, if not this year, than early next, and that they're confident about that.. And given the hellworld we've been living in the past year, I don't think we'd ever begrudge them a slight release window slip; it wouldn't be their fault.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Instant Grat posted:

Being a MegaTen fan in Europe used to really loving suck. Shouts out to Persona 4 Arena taking an extra 10 months to come out here, which wouldn't be so bad except Persona 4 Arena is the only region-locked game to ever be released for the PS3.

I think John woos stranglehold is as well, not gonna check.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Cleretic posted:

I mean, it looks like it's fairly far along in production from what we've seen of it; plenty more than the only real examples of massive (non-PAL-region) release date drift in the series. Both Persona 5 and (obviously) SMT X Fire Emblem were clearly announced MUCH earlier than they should have been.

I can believe that they're keeping on track for, if not this year, than early next, and that they're confident about that.. And given the hellworld we've been living in the past year, I don't think we'd ever begrudge them a slight release window slip; it wouldn't be their fault.

Where are you getting this news about SMT V being far along in production because all I can find is that one trailer from nine months ago that showed zero gameplay

Also the first announcement trailer I found for it was January 2017 so I’m going to say this was announced way too early, again

Erg fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Mar 30, 2021

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Erg posted:

Where are you getting this news about SMT V being far along in production because all I can find is that one trailer from nine months ago that showed zero gameplay

Also the first announcement trailer I found for it was January 2017 so I’m going to say this was announced way too early, again

They have an official site that says 2021 and that's about it I think.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

I think John woos stranglehold is as well, not gonna check.

I haven't thought about this game in years but you made me google it and see I can buy it on GoG for $2.50 so I just did that and now I will relive my teen years.
Thank you for this fortuitous post

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Erg posted:

It showed no gameplay, sure, but it clear as day showed actual story and assets. A lot more cohesive than other gun-jumping announcements--including, yes, its own.

Yeah, they probably shouldn't have announced it so early. But we're clearly not in 'Persona 5, 2015 for Playstation 3 system' territory, they announced a 2021 release date after being confident they were on track for it.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Cleretic posted:

It showed no gameplay, sure, but it clear as day showed actual story and assets. A lot more cohesive than other gun-jumping announcements--including, yes, its own.

Yeah, they probably shouldn't have announced it so early. But we're clearly not in 'Persona 5, 2015 for Playstation 3 system' territory, they announced a 2021 release date after being confident they were on track for it.

This seems like unearned confidence. FFXIII, a game that I truly love, had a full rear end trailer with a mocked up battle system that turned out to be about 60% bullshit.

I’m very excited to try a console SMT game but the lack of news despite the fact that we’re through the first quarter of 2021 seems like a bad sign

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

SMTV's first release date will also be for Japan only.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I said come in! posted:

SMTV's first release date will also be for Japan only.

Supposedly it's getting a simultaneous worldwide release, or that's what the last trailer in a Nintendo Direct said.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

That's a first, they couldn't even pull that off for Persona 5.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah it got a pretty big :eyepop: when they announced it

It was this trailer, specifically:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaM1zXLvUJY

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's possible that a delay is because of covid localization, that's the reason why p5 strikers got pushed back so far away from the japanese release date that it disappeared from quarterly reports for a hot minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Instant Grat posted:

The digital storefronts for the PS3, PSP, and PS Vita/PSTV are going to be shuttered in a few months, so here's an overview of Megaten games that are gonna be unavailable digitally once that happens:
None of them. :pirate: