Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The khezu hammer looks good. The khezu bow is a work of art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Doomykins posted:

Rise is smooth as butter even in Rampage mode, it's an entertaining clusterfuck because the scaling is entirely different from hunting. "Ah poo poo, there's a pukei in the air and like three boulders beating on the gate, I better ring this gong so my every attack tics for 200 damage and clear those three large monsters out simultaneously."

This is odd to read because Rise kind of runs like rear end for me. Rampages are fine because the map is kept so simple, but there are various areas around the other maps (flooded forest in particular) where the framerate is noticeably chugging even when nothing is going on. Heaven forbid an actual fight ends up happening there.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I haven't experienced that for the game overall, although far-away creatures have their individual framerates noticably reduced, it's most apparent with the flying little dragon things.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So are there jokes in the JP version that Khezu looks like a floppy dong too?

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Impermanent posted:

they're different playstyles.

long - charged shelling.
normal - do the big shell burst combo
wide - i always forget. its a shotgun tho so try to be 90 degrees to long monsters.

shelling level number higher -> damage more gooder.

This is not how it works in Rise. Wide is now the charge shelling build as it gets 2 levels of charged with the most damage. It also has KO damage with the stake, with slugger levels you can KO monsters VERY easily. This also means you don't want to use blast dash with wide and prioritize the 2 step fast WS combo.
Normal and Long play basically the same, normal has more shells for burst and long does more WS damage and can shoot farther, but you play them more or less the same.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Just got to the village credits.

What's the point in having the pretence of a story with a defined ending when you can summarise it on a small post it note? Why is this the end point?

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Is there a point in Rise where you can color your armor freely like you could in World? Gotta get my fashion on.

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

stev posted:

Just got to the village credits.

What's the point in having the pretence of a story with a defined ending when you can summarise it on a small post it note? Why is this the end point?

Because the story will continue next month.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Is there a point in Rise where you can color your armor freely like you could in World? Gotta get my fashion on.

Yeah but I forget when it unlocks. Somewhere around late village, early hub

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
I wish there was a quick way to swap the lower right hand map between the Full vs the area, without losing access to the right stick.

Right now if I'm just on an expedition where I want to see materials close to me, I like having the map set to area, but when I'm hunting I like that map set to full. And I'd like to not have to go into the settings menu to change the map type. Yes I know I can press minus to bring up a full screen map but then I can't see where I'm going. And if i hold L to "change" it, I lose access to my camera control.

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE
Sorry im new to this... how do i fight the willy monster (khezu) again. I want to grind him for his horn.

Im at 3* village. Does he come back at some point in safari mode or something?

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

Kilazar posted:

I wish there was a quick way to swap the lower right hand map between the Full vs the area, without losing access to the right stick.

Right now if I'm just on an expedition where I want to see materials close to me, I like having the map set to area, but when I'm hunting I like that map set to full. And I'd like to not have to go into the settings menu to change the map type. Yes I know I can press minus to bring up a full screen map but then I can't see where I'm going. And if i hold L to "change" it, I lose access to my camera control.

So many items I've used accidentally trying to move the camera while nailing down a mining spot

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
Is he not available as a 3* mission anymore?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Science_enthusiast posted:

Sorry im new to this... how do i fight the willy monster (khezu) again. I want to grind him for his horn.

Im at 3* village. Does he come back at some point in safari mode or something?
You can rerun missions, checkmarks are only to help you keep track of what you've done (and because you need a variety of key missions to unlock urgents).

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Harrow posted:

I will never stop using insect glaive

So the general idea is that your ground attacks do more damage, but being in the air helps you evade. I've heard that Rise increased aerial damage but I think that's just a general observation people have had and nobody's sat down to do the math yet. The usual advice is that maximum damage comes from your ground attacks, though. I generally use air moves for mobility and evasion more than damage. That said, I do spend a decent amount of time in the air, especially when I'm getting to know a monster, just because it's a good way to avoid getting hit while you're learning a monster's moves.

Your big damage combo if you have an opening to hit a weak spot for a while is Forward+X -> A -> A (ending in Tornado Slash). (I might be misremembering the button combos, I don't have my Switch right in front of me to make sure I have it right, but A -> A is the most important part.)

If you haven't yet, give an Assist-type kinsect a try. If your kinsect is on your arm, it'll follow your blade as you swing when you do your heavy-hitting A-button moves and deal some extra damage. It's fun to have a blunt Assist kinsect because it can let you get KO's when you're hitting a monster's head.

I know this is a little late, but if you can get the hang of the ZL+B -> A -> X combo the air game puts out some major damage.

Basically you want to launch yourself and wait until you're falling pretty close to the actual monster, then A and stick in the direction of the monster, and when you get to the other side hit X to re-launch and do the diving strike. If you get it right you'll know it and it'll feel really, really good. Your ideal setup is to be able to sweep from head to back and land the diving X on or around the tail.

Once you land it's a great time to go in to the forward A + A for a bunch of ground damage as well. This is also real good at severing tails.

Hope that helps. If it's not super clear lemme know and I'll see if I can get a decent recording and throw it on twitter to post.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Kilazar posted:

Just turn off the radial menu

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Been helping a friend catch up to HR3 with me at the hub, and having a blast messing with monsters now that I've realized that MH: Rise is really MH: Rodeo. We keep having one of us go off to find a non-target monster to mount and bring back to attack our target. So many shiny material drops.

Also I now have the best weapon.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

homeless snail posted:

Just turn off the radial menu

:stonk:

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I had to change the radial menu control so that it requires clicking the right stick. I noticed that the deadzone is too small, or the stick tends to bounce a lot (at least on the official pro controller), so that I would accidentally use whatever was on the other side of the menu whenever I flicked the stick too hard

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Zerilan posted:

Been helping a friend catch up to HR3 with me at the hub, and having a blast messing with monsters now that I've realized that MH: Rise is really MH: Rodeo. We keep having one of us go off to find a non-target monster to mount and bring back to attack our target. So many shiny material drops.

i hope that squeaks when you hit things with it

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Its bad, a modal interface that takes over your camera controls and doesn't allow you to prime items while you're doing other things like the classic L+Y/A. So incredibly glad they have the foresight to allow you to turn it off

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Shine posted:

Do you abuse the poo poo out of Guard Dash to keep close/safely reposition, and use Dash Attack as soon as a monster hops away?

Guard Dash not so much, since it feels (this could just be me misremembering) like it covers way less ground, but yeah I charge when they bail and that's usually when I eat poo poo to an aoe/projectile. The range is just slightly too far to get there before he winds up another attack. Somnacanth I just kind of brute forced my way through it but being able to zip straight to the monster to keep attacking would be greatly helpful in like 75% of the fights so far.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

homeless snail posted:

Its bad, a modal interface that takes over your camera controls and doesn't allow you to prime items while you're doing other things like the classic L+Y/A. So incredibly glad they have the foresight to allow you to turn it off
I feel like relying on the L+Y/A menu alone feels like you'd be handicapping yourself. Having to try to mash through that thing in combat is a hassle, particularly if you're just flipping back and forth from potion to antidote or whatever.

Radial menu could stand to be better for sure, but it feels like a godsend for infrequent but quick access things like life powder and null berries.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I also dont like that the radial menu is on the same button as the detailed map so you can't run around to find the account item spawn locations while having the map open unless you turn the radial menu off

the only time I even use the radial menu is for riding the dog

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Neo_Crimson posted:

Hunting Edge sucks, it's way too hard to hit anything with it and the damage doesn't even seem good. You're better off using Power Sheathe then a normal ZL+X jumping attack for 2 wirebugs.

Adamant Charge Slash is much better than Hunting Edge, but it has a short dash that can still be a little hard to aim at first.

A while ago but this is definitely false, Hunting Edge rules. The mounting damage is great, especially with the charged plunging attack, and it just takes a bit to get used to landing. Not only can you do it from a ways away, but if you use it right next to pretty much any monster you will almost never miss the initial hit, after that it's just a matter of aiming your charge in midair. Definitely one of the most fun Great Sword moves, I can't use it enough.

Adamant Charge Slash is good too, I pick it sometimes for smaller monsters. But Hunting Edge is great.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I also dont like that the radial menu is on the same button as the detailed map so you can't run around to find the account item spawn locations while having the map open unless you turn the radial menu off

Yeah, I feel like detailed map should be a toggle or something, I've 100% had the same problem of accidentally popping items as I'm trying to look for a node.

The other problem my dumb brain creates is ZL + Y is not any kind of wire bug move, no, it just uses a potion and then I plummet to the ground.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

It's good to have quick access to a bunch of things, but having three different menus feels almost unnecessarily confusing. The item pouch menu is for items, the d-pad menu is non-item actions, and the radial menu can be a mix of both, except using the radial menu requires you to hold down L, which takes the item pouch menu out of use mode and into select mode. Also, using an item from the radial menu will automatically sheathe and use, but the first press of the item pouch button will make you sheathe, and then you have to press it again in a second to use.

I'm not sure what a good solution is, but I kept accidentally drinking potions or putting my weapon away for the first couple of hours

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Yeah it would be fine if there was another button on the controller, but adding a second way to navigate your inventory to a game that already uses every button on your controller with many of those buttons overloaded, is a bit much. And heck, Rise adds a third inventory menu with the action bar, although the only people that would annoy are claw players that want to use dpad camera.

I recognize that you gotta have the radial menu if you want to pretend monhan is a mainstream video game, because the old inventory system was one of the things that drove people away. Like the focus camera, in a lot of ways, something that people think they want but is actually kinda counter to the design of the game and that they will gladly let you disable

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Just so I’m clear, if you are using Flying Kick on Longsword, is landing that Spirit Roundabout Slash or whatever it’s called the only way to get to level 2-3 then?

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Zerilan posted:

That's one sharp bear.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

homeless snail posted:

Like the focus camera, in a lot of ways, something that people think they want but is actually kinda counter to the design of the game and that they will gladly let you disable
This seems like such an odd take because I can't help but feel like the standard bar discourages going consumable heavy/utility consumables because it gets more cumbersome to use the more you bring. Not to mention stuff like the BBQ spit which is useless but takes up a spot.

Works fine for stuff you want to use before entering combat like drugs and rations, but feels terrible for trying to quickly get between potions, cures and life powder.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Yeah, the radial menu felt like a tremendous upgrade in usability and I can't imagine just deciding not to use it.

Jack Van Burace
Jun 4, 2003

Focus camera and radial menu have been great additions to Monster Hunter, but I haven't gotten used to using the radial menu on Rise yet. It was absolutely essential for me in World and Iceborne especially, so I imagine I'll have to learn it after a while once things start getting harder or running with other people so I can more efficiently spam lifepowders. For now I can mash my way to mega potions and rations and that's all I need. Still use the radial for sharpening while riding the dog, though.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

How do I reset the rest position for the gyro controls?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

This seems like such an odd take because I can't help but feel like the standard bar discourages going consumable heavy/utility consumables because it gets more cumbersome to use the more you bring. Not to mention stuff like the BBQ spit which is useless but takes up a spot.

Works fine for stuff you want to use before entering combat like drugs and rations, but feels terrible for trying to quickly get between potions, cures and life powder.
Was never a problem before. Monster Hunter is generally a game where you know what item you're going to use seconds before you use it, and its slow enough that they give you time to prime the item while you're moving or animating long before you actually are able to or want to use it, its not a very twitchy game. Like that's just how the game was built, that's why its explicitly an inventory system that works while you're doing other things. Radial menu is fine too but its more work to think about and select the item at the exact moment you want to use it, than to already have it ready to go. As for being more cumbersome, you just have to keep your bar sorted. They did get rid of the item bar organization menu from World though which sucks, its back to just working off of bag order.

Like if you want to get really grognardy about it, Monster Hunter was never designed to have good camera controls either, the monsters are big enough that its just not strictly necessary to constantly adjust the camera which is why people put up with the claw for so long. Having camera controls is a net positive and it makes people happier, and the only other idea they ever had for the right stick was using it to attack which uh Was Interesting, but you don't need it the way the game is designed

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I have forced myself to rely on the radial menu for sharpening, 3 potion levels, Herb medicine, and trapping/tranqing.

The other thing I noticed about the game, is it is still Monster HUNTER, even with you always knowing where the Big Mons' are.. cause.. they removed the small monster map locals..I have run around the sandy plains looking for loving kestadons now for an hour.

At the watering hole in 5 btw, incase anyone is still on the that sidequest.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Radial menu also makes ammo crafting (well all crafting but you probably end up crafting ammo the most often) much easier

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Kilazar posted:

I have forced myself to rely on the radial menu for sharpening, 3 potion levels, Herb medicine, and trapping/tranqing.

The other thing I noticed about the game, is it is still Monster HUNTER, even with you always knowing where the Big Mons' are.. cause.. they removed the small monster map locals..I have run around the sandy plains looking for loving kestadons now for an hour.

At the watering hole in 5 btw, incase anyone is still on the that sidequest.

should've taken the hub quest to hunt kestodons, that's what it's in the game for. marks them on the map and spawns a lot more than usual

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The thing I use the radial menu for every time is sharpening. It's nice to have multiple levels of potion equally accessible, too. Then I leave something like flash pods or things that I want to use with a single button press selected in the item bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Man, as a hammer player I was having a rough time with that 4* electric lizard. Killed it but it sucked.

Crafted poison dual blades as a lark, fought it again and got my first sub-10 minute hunt.

I guess elemental weaknesses are a real thing.