Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

shyduck posted:

EvilWaldo

the thorn in their side

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

It's not like he's going to publicly admit he would not mind being paid fifteen million dollars to not coach the Philadelphia Flyers for the next three years

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

triple sulk posted:

the thorn in their side

someday this will not be funny but christ if I know how many years it's been and it's still hilarious to me

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

What’s incredible about that whole thing is it came totally out of the blue, as I recall. And after that EW totally vanished.

It was surreal.

E: God that had to be, what, 9 years ago now? I think it was just after the cup finals run

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
the sabres have not had a regulation win in the month of march since march 31st, 2018. their combined record in march since that date is 3-29-3

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

DJExile posted:

What’s incredible about that whole thing is it came totally out of the blue, as I recall. And after that EW totally vanished.

It was surreal.

E: God that had to be, what, 9 years ago now? I think it was just after the cup finals run

I was thinking it's been about a decade now, yeah. I'm always surprised it's lingered around but it is pretty memorable.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Decade later for quite a payoff. Flyers have all the thorns on their sides.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

DJExile posted:

:ohdear:

I mean, I'm not saying that the Flyers sent Pronger around to shut him up, but....

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

DJExile posted:

It was surreal.

the date on the file for this pic says Nov 8, 2013 lol

so at least that long!

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

lol it's been just about 2700 days since that post

2700 days of dogshit garbage hockey

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
May that post never die.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

triple sulk posted:

Well that is one way to make me feel old. But still have a good laugh at something nearly a decade later.

May that post and that gently caress the ref post live on forever.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Uh thinktank you got any more on this topic?

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
i miss mcvey

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
I see Chris Tanev got murdered in to the end boards again. Must be a day that ends in -y

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

mennoknight posted:

i miss mcvey

I keep messaging him to come back and post and it just never goes anywhere :mad:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

triple sulk posted:

I literally snorted out in laughter on reading this. Goddamn man lol.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

shyduck posted:

EvilWaldo

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

*Chants "Okposolypse" five times into a mirror*

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Holy poo poo , EK lives and knows how to play good hockey.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

grack posted:

I see Chris Tanev got murdered in to the end boards again. Must be a day that ends in -y

did his old team fail to stand up for him in any way shape or form too? kill em all

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

corn on the cop posted:

the sabres have not had a regulation win in the month of march since march 31st, 2018. their combined record in march since that date is 3-29-3

I was at that game, in Nashville. The last place team vs the first place team.

Buffalo won 7-4. Sam Reinhart had a Hat trick and Eichel had 5 or 6 assists iirc. Scott Hartnell boarded Victor Antipin and he had to be taken out on a stretcher. The Sabres scored three times on the ensuing 5-minute PP. My section was full of Sabres fans and we kept high fiving every time they scored. It ruled.

Maybe Nashville will sneak into the playoffs so I can root for them.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Buffalo is really starting to get some nice separation from the rest of the pack.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The manager is watching this whole thing with his jaw on the floor and just as the captain is about to get turnstiled by just the greasiest grinder you've ever seen, he yells out "STOP! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD STOP." The players immediately freeze, a couple are hooking each other right in the hands. The goalie is letting a limp wrister into his five hole. "Dear God never in my life have I seen something so repulsive to my very being, so unfathomably wrong in every way. It's an affront to nature! Just tell me, what do you call this monstrosity?"

The players all grin broadly, the stench of losing hanging thick in the air and say in uninson: "THE SABRES!"

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

The manager is watching this whole thing with his jaw on the floor and just as the captain is about to get turnstiled by just the greasiest grinder you've ever seen, he yells out "STOP! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD STOP." The players immediately freeze, a couple are hooking each other right in the hands. The goalie is letting a limp wrister into his five hole. "Dear God never in my life have I seen something so repulsive to my very being, so unfathomably wrong in every way. It's an affront to nature! Just tell me, what do you call this monstrosity?"

The players all grin broadly, the stench of losing hanging thick in the air and say in uninson: "THE SABRES!"

lmao

also holy poo poo I remember the minor league rear end wolf logo if they'd have stayed in Quebec but I'd never seen this:

https://twitter.com/addicted2helmet/status/1376293523100696584

:stare: that is like, aggressively terrible

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

DJExile posted:

lmao

also holy poo poo I remember the minor league rear end wolf logo if they'd have stayed in Quebec but I'd never seen this:

You can’t fool me, that’s an XFL team.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

That's just 90s.jpeg.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Over a full season McDavid is on pace for 96 assists.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://twitter.com/nolanbianchi/status/1376711689744289795?s=21

That only makes me feel slightly better though

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit

Yeah, well, the Leafs have won a Stanley Cup more recently than the Sabres!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Dr Zaius posted:

Yeah, well, the Leafs have won a Stanley Cup more recently than the Sabres!

It was before the Sabres were a team though

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Plus, the Sabres were robbed of the Cup in 1999 :colbert:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

DJExile posted:

lmao

"The Rocky Mountain Extreme have won the Stanley Cup!" :wtc:

That sounds more like a band name than a hockey team. "Hello Wembley, I'm Joe Sakic, lead singer. Let me introduce the rest of the band. On bass guitar, Peter Forsberg. Drummer, Ray Bourque..."

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Mar 30, 2021

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Every rival fan in the league would immediately start calling them the Rocky Mountain Oysters.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lol @ whichever mod made that subtle thread title change. well done

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Icethetics had a great series on rejected 90s logo designs a few years ago. It remains one of the sport's great tragedies that we only didn't get to witness the glory of this jersey because of the 94 lockout.

E: For some reason it doesn't link to parts 4 and 5 of that series. You can read the rest here.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Mar 30, 2021

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Looks way too much like the Baltimore Ravens logo for the Penguins to ever use now

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Eric the Mauve posted:

Plus, the Sabres were robbed of the Cup in 1999 :colbert:

Yeah, it's pretty great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Maybe Nashville will sneak into the playoffs so I can root for them.

You know full well Nashville is going to keep up their current level of not-sucking just long enough to crater at the end of the season and push Chicago into a first-round loss.