Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is that haircut an example of italiaface? My Italian neighbor always told me that people were racist against Italians and there were like four words that were the equivalent of the n-word for Italians. I should have believed him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/MANvsGAME/status/1376633077045157889?s=20

https://twitter.com/CFeverDreams/status/1376633106166390791?s=20

this is a long article and im still reading but you cant throw a gauntlet like that and not deliver

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

https://twitter.com/MANvsGAME/status/1376633077045157889?s=20

https://twitter.com/CFeverDreams/status/1376633106166390791?s=20

this is a long article and im still reading but you cant throw a gauntlet like that and not deliver

Having just seen the film in its entirety on Youtube (a breakneck-paced 80 minutes) I gotta say... it's not quite that bad?

It's agressively 70s, it's very much a Room-esque vanity project by a guy who has never made a movie before. Its editing is epileptic and jumps around wildly in time and space, leaving things disjointed and confusing at points. And its musical score is about as literal as a middle-schooler's youtube AMV about syncing up the lyrics to what's onscreen, at least when it's not using Mars, Bringer of War.

But it DOES have very nice cinematography, lots of location shooting, nice set design, the money's certainly on the screen. And even the acting isn't terrible for a bunch of people who aren't actually actors, it can just pass as 70s Naturalism. It's a very Citizen Kane sorta rags to riches "misunderstood genius raises himself to the heights of fortune then throws it all away in his hubris" story that self-important auteurs love to make movies about, but it's not as flimsy about it as a Neil Breen movie.

It's the best sort of bad movie, in that in some ways it's very very competent and watchable while still being bafflingly bad in others. It would make an excellent MST3K episode. I'd certainly rank it above The Room, in that at least the main character is less of an alien than Tommy Wiseau

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

is it bad movie night material tho?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

is it bad movie night material tho?

Yeah sure, the weird editing and pacing problems help here, there's usually some new unforeshadowed plot diversion every couple minutes for people to go "wait, what!?" at. Like it'll jump continents in between cuts, you'll go from a business lunch picnic in a cemetary STRAIGHT to a Kenyan prison, and then THAT will be over with in about 90 seconds and now we're somewhere else. It rarely boringly lingers on stuff

There are slow parts, but even those usually have something funny about them. Like the extended sailing montage with Moody Blues music over it that has a superimposed calendar flipping pages to convey the passage of months like it's a time travel movie. It's got sort of a Dangerous Men energy to it

Asterite34 fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 29, 2021

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Honestly, just give the Safdies a SW trilogy, cowards

The frenetic, all close-up story of Elan Sleazebaggano as he struggles to sell off the last of his death sticks in impoverished street-level Coruscant.

Basebf555 posted:

It's funny how this is like the constant refrain that you always hear with Christensen because it's been almost 20 years and there's nothing else to point to.

I mean, yeah, but were those movies really going to help his career after? I saw him in some low-budget Nick Cage movie years back and it was...definitely the quality level you'd assume of that project. I'd imagine he spent his entire 20's trying to land more substantial roles and couldn't crawl out from under the weight of "petulant teenaged Anakin."

It's unfair, because not even Natalie Portman or Ewan MacGregor could transcend the awkward garbage screenplay of those movies. Fortunately, they had roles prior to those movies that made it clear they were talented, but the greatest actors working would've come out of the prequels looking terrible. Hayden Christensen is probably a much better actor than circumstance would suggest.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Adam Wingard is going to make a CG animated Thundercats movie. According to an interview he spent his 10th grade writing a Thundercats movie screenplay that ran 272 pages.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Photoreal CGI, if I read it correctly. I hope it's a big weird space fantasy movie in the vein of what the 80s Star Wars riffs wanted to do but didn't have the budget or talent to pull off.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

We the people demand Thunder cats 272 minute Wingard cut

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

I had no idea Rupert Friend was that ridiculously handsome.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Fuck yeah cinema is finally dead

muscles like this! posted:

Adam Wingard is going to make a CG animated Thundercats movie. According to an interview he spent his 10th grade writing a Thundercats movie screenplay that ran 272 pages.

I want thunderCATS, rum tum tugger singing about Mumm ra complete with cgi butthole. Do it you cowards!!!!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Benny Safdie and Simone Kessell already have Star Wars names.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Benny Safdie and Simone Kessell already have Star Wars names.
They can do the Kessell Run in less than 12 Safdies

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
There was an australian footballer called 'Braith Anasta' and that remains the most star wars name i've encountered in real life

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Snowman_McK posted:

There was an australian footballer called 'Braith Anasta' and that remains the most star wars name i've encountered in real life

it's not remotely on the nose about who he is as a person tho

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Really, a big part of why the sequels ended up falling flat on their face is because they were terrified of embracing the prequels, when the younger audiences remember them fondly and the older audiences ultimately don't give a poo poo because it's not like they can ignore them.
The whole point of TLJ was that Luke was disillusioned with the Jedi because he watched the prequels

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

They can do the Kessell Run in less than 12 Safdies

I don’t know why, but your post just made me realize Kessell Run is an anagram of Ken Russell.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Is that haircut an example of italiaface? My Italian neighbor always told me that people were racist against Italians and there were like four words that were the equivalent of the n-word for Italians. I should have believed him.

I think you could write a whole book on how it was okay to be horribly racist to and about Italians for almost all of American history, then they got provisionally promoted to "white", then immediately became a group it was okay to make fun of forever. I don't have a drop of italian blood and I'm not saying they're entirely victims but I do believe that Sacco and Vanzetti shouldn't have been killed, The Godfather was bullshit, and Italian-Americans contributed a whole lot of bodies to our 20th century wars.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

The United States posted:

The whole point of TLJ was that Luke was disillusioned with the Jedi because he watched the prequels

Not actually; Luke doesn't even give an accurate synopsis. This is one of those 'meta' readings that doesn't withstand scrutiny, like Rey being a Star Wars fan. Or Kylo Ren being a Star Wars fan. Or Hux being a Star Wars fan. Or Maz Katana being a Star Wars fan.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
As we all know from years of people defending/attacking the prequels for doing/not doing something bad/good and having deep spiritual meaning/being a sloppy mess, there is no way a character who has clearly taken the wrong lesson from being a jedi could read the prequels wrong/right

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Not actually; Luke doesn't even give an accurate synopsis. This is one of those 'meta' readings that doesn't withstand scrutiny, like Rey being a Star Wars fan. Or Kylo Ren being a Star Wars fan. Or Hux being a Star Wars fan. Or Maz Katana being a Star Wars fan.

I got the feeling Rose Tico was a Star Wars fan. Please advise.

Mace Windu was but then wasn't, pretty sure about that.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
They're all different types of Star Wars fans. Rose is uncritical Tumblr people who care about the characters and headcanon more than the movies. The movie posits that they're better fans than the grumpy old fucks who get mad about movies online.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Poe Dameron is more of a Trekkie.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

what about the kid at the end of TLJ who holds up the broomstick at the moon

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Kids watching the ST completely unaware of the interplanetary conflict on the twitter battlefield over whether/not the lady with colorful hair was hitler for not telling the fuckup himbo her plan

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Harry Potter fan, of course

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

BLAGG

https://twitter.com/Mirahtrunks/status/942437381172588547

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Jedi Doll

Walker Toy

Gangster Doll

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

From the studio that brought you grogu

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Grendels Dad posted:

Jedi Doll

Walker Toy

Gangster Doll

Those kids are the actual in-universe Star Wars fans, they were telling each other Luke Skywalker stories and made their own collectable figures and broom kid was wearing Rose's genuine near-mint condition Rebels ring

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Temiri "Billy" Blagg

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I'm the walker toy of something that presumably either shot or trampled over their parents

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
https://twitter.com/thr/status/1376913243898327041?s=21
I love how obvious it is that GRRM has totally lost interest in finishing the books

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
More like “Game of Groans” am I right guys?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Asterite34 posted:

Yeah sure, the weird editing and pacing problems help here, there's usually some new unforeshadowed plot diversion every couple minutes for people to go "wait, what!?" at. Like it'll jump continents in between cuts, you'll go from a business lunch picnic in a cemetary STRAIGHT to a Kenyan prison, and then THAT will be over with in about 90 seconds and now we're somewhere else. It rarely boringly lingers on stuff

There are slow parts, but even those usually have something funny about them. Like the extended sailing montage with Moody Blues music over it that has a superimposed calendar flipping pages to convey the passage of months like it's a time travel movie. It's got sort of a Dangerous Men energy to it

Don't know a thing about this so looked up the wiki:

quote:

Mina (Melody Wiggins) and her fiancé, Daniel (Coti Cook) are walking on a beach when two bikers, named Tiger and Leo, set upon them. They kill the fiancé and attempt to rape Mina. In the struggle, Leo is killed and Tiger goes to leave the beach. Mina insists that he take her along, secretly plotting his murder.

After taking Mina for a steak dinner at a motel, Tiger retires with her to their room. Mina distracts Tiger by having him rub her knees and lick her bellybutton before producing a knife hidden in her buttocks and stabbing him to death
hahaha yeah alright i'm watching this

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Shageletic posted:

Don't know a thing about this so looked up the wiki:

hahaha yeah alright i'm watching this

quote:

Dangerous Men is a 2005 American action thriller film written, directed, and produced by Jahangir Salehi Yeganehrad, under the pseudonym John S. Rad

all you need to know before going in

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Of all the overhyped “Citizen Kane of bad movies”-type movies I’ve seen, Dangerous Men is definitely the one that most deserves the title. Every single plot decision, every edit, all the dialogue, it’s completely loving baffling and I don’t know why they bothered ever finishing it given the production history. It’s incredibly entertaining though because it really feels like it was made by an alien or an AI who’s been fed plot points from 100 different action movies.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Sacco and Vanzetti shouldn't have been killed

It's kind of crazy to learn that even Mussolini, someone who might charitably be called an anti-anarchist, lobbied for them to have their sentence commuted.

One of the things I liked about the end of Colin Treverrow's Episode IX draft was that the movie would end with Broom Boy getting brought to the new Jedi Temple as Rey's new apprentice.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Chairman Capone posted:

It's kind of crazy to learn that even Mussolini, someone who might charitably be called an anti-anarchist, lobbied for them to have their sentence commuted.

One of the things I liked about the end of Colin Treverrow's Episode IX draft was that the movie would end with Broom Boy getting brought to the new Jedi Temple as Rey's new apprentice.

what better way to own an anarchist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

aware of dog posted:

https://twitter.com/thr/status/1376913243898327041?s=21
I love how obvious it is that GRRM has totally lost interest in finishing the books

He's never going to finish them