Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Best Friends posted:

So now that we're all on the same page that yes, the guidance has done a 180 on cloth masks, can someone explain why either this 180 does not affect public trust, or alternatively, why Fauci resigning for that 180 would be more harmful than him staying in light of that public trust issue.
Because it's fundamentally incorrect to take that as a sign that the experts aren't trustworthy. As many posters have said above, the rapid change as understanding grew is a positive sign, even if the initial guidance was imperfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Best Friends posted:

now that we're all on the same page that yes, the guidance has done a 180 on cloth masks, can someone explain why either this 180 does not affect public trust, or alternatively, why Fauci resigning for that 180 would be more harmful than him staying in light of that public trust issue.

Opinion polling as recently as last month has indicated both Fauci and the CDC are still held in high regard by a large majority of Americans, so I don't believe the public trust issue is as significant as you seem to believe it is.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Best Friends posted:

now that we're all on the same page that yes, the guidance has done a 180 on cloth masks, can someone explain why either this 180 does not affect public trust, or alternatively, why Fauci resigning for that 180 would be more harmful than him staying in light of that public trust issue.

Like a lot of things, the audience is people like my mom. Who gets most of her opinion from day time talk shows like Oprah and the View. Fauci for better or worse was given a positive reputation in that sphere. So people like my mom who wouldn't be intentionally malicious will listen to what he has to say. Whereas any new face biden comes up with will have to have that kind of good will built up. In that time period some idiot could be talking about the power of angels and pink Himalayan salt against covid, and people, like my mom, may get trapped by that

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
I'm starting to think I hate the american public

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
The late February 2020 guidance which, again, was amended amd corrected later was:

-Everyone who is around a covid pos person wear a mask.
-If you feel ill at all or are under monitoring for being exposed, wear a mask
-Healthcare workers wear masks
-Stop hoarding N95s
-Otherwise, don’t bother with a mask

By March 2020, these changes:

DOD: all of you should be wearing a cloth masks basically Lways

By April 2020, CDC said cloth masks as voluntary measure is wise.

It was controversial not to recommend cloth masks even back in Feb of 2019. China was openly mocking the US for it in state news media, and plenty of epidemiologists, while acknowledging that hoarding N95s was bad, were pissed that cloth masks were being dismissed while we sprayed down outdoor surfaces with bleach.

From April 3: “Governments should not have downplayed the importance of face masks [as a protective measure for the public], says Leiyu Shi, who researches comparative health systems and health policy at Johns Hopkins University, "because it will make them [seem] very foolish when they change their stance. Again and again," Shi says.”

For Jeremy Lim, Adjunct Associate professor of public health from the National University of Singapore School of Public Health, East Asia's threshold for taking action on face masks and more potentially preventive measures was sparked by SARS, or Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome, another coronavirus that swept through the region in 2003.

"Policymakers will always have to live with uncertainty and incomplete information,' Lim says. "For East Asian countries, the attitude was 'better to be safe than to be sorry.' "

Asked about the new CDC position in the U.S., public health academics like Gostin and Shi believe the guideline changes in the U.S. could have come sooner, given the emerging evidence of potential benefits.”

And of course:

President Trump said last Friday, after the CDC updated guidelines were announced, that he would not follow them: "Sitting in the oval office, behind that beautiful resolute desk, the great resolute desk, I think wearing a face mask as I greet presidents, prime ministers, dictators, kings, queens. I don't know, somehow I don't see it for myself."

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

^great post

Removed my white noise response

Best Friends fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Mar 30, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It was Schrödinger’s virus, where it was spread via ærosol in the context of masks, but was completely droplet‐based in any other context.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Grip it and rip it posted:

I'm starting to think I hate the american public

Now that's what I call an evergreen post

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
boat joke

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Ugh are we in 2022 yet

orange juche fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Mar 30, 2021

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

orange juche posted:

Ugh are we in 2022 yet

Vaguely surprised nobody made a mask with a little toggle over the nose so you can adjust it without touching the cloth. Maybe make it out of copper for a little extra power. I dunno.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwy-h1aisbE

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Yo, I saw this at the korean home goods store earlier. I... I'm gonna grab one when I go back. I do want to flaunt my immortality.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Trump stating that wearing a mask wasn’t MAGA was more than enough to get me to ignore the advice of our country’s panel of medical experts, really

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
March 2020 seriously will never loving end.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Crab Dad posted:

Vaguely surprised nobody made a mask with a little toggle over the nose so you can adjust it without touching the cloth. Maybe make it out of copper for a little extra power. I dunno.

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1376191143067725825?s=19

When I was working the election (SUNLIGHT BURRRRNS) I was really surprised at how many people were unmasking to drink stuff like COVID ignored you during coffee sips. Or the workers just openly eating at the tables in the gym. Probably a bit surprising that we as humans didn't invent some type of new N95-like thing since they only date back to 1995.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

CDC is now warning of a potential fourth wave as cases had a 12% upward jump in the past week, prompting some pretty serious warnings from health professionals. One thing to note: it’s young people who are getting sick now.

quote:

Some hospitals reported admitting younger people with more severe disease. That is evidence that vaccines are protecting people older than 65 who once were the most vulnerable but leaving the unvaccinated exposed. A new variant of the virus that is more contagious and causes more severe disease is taking hold across the country.

At Connecticut’s Yale New Haven Health System, for example, admissions of covid-19 patients ages 35 to 44 are up 41 percent in the past seven weeks, while admission of people 65 and older is down more than 70 percent. At Grady Memorial Hospital in Atlanta, inpatients older than 65 have largely disappeared, replaced by a younger population. And among the patients in Michigan’s Henry Ford Health System, the median age has declined to 58, years younger than during previous surges of the virus.

Anecdotally speaking, even in the DC area, which had super high levels of compliance with social distancing and mask wearing, it seems like people are fatigued and have adopted the attitude of “deaths have dropped, the vaccines are here and I’ll have one within a few months, I can relax a bit.” I went out of town for a few days last week and was surprised when I got back by how many people I saw walking around without masks- so much so that I thought the DC government relaxed its mask mandate.

I’m so over this pandemic and I’m glad I got my first dose yesterday, but I’m not gonna pretend for a second that this is anywhere close to over yet.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss
https://twitter.com/LilNasX/status/1376731820067184642

What an absolute shitposting legend. This is like watching Gretzky in his prime.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I don't care about his music, but I do like his shitposting.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

pantslesswithwolves posted:

CDC is now warning of a potential fourth wave as cases had a 12% upward jump in the past week, prompting some pretty serious warnings from health professionals. One thing to note: it’s young people who are getting sick

Crazy. Glad the CDC got out ahead of things and made sure that schools wouldn’t be a major contributor to the virus being brought into homes.

quote:

K-12 schools are seeing more outbreaks as long-term care facilities are seeing fewer. At the same time, people ages 10-19 are contracting the virus at the highest rates, while those over 70 — a larger percentage of whom are vaccinated — are seeing the smallest uptick in cases

https://www.woodtv.com/health/coronavirus/march-29-2021-michigan-coronavirus-update/

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Mar 30, 2021

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

we did that up here in ontario

3rd wave is now gonna be way bigger than 1st or 2nd, vaccinations are not gonna keep up

and it's the working public that's getting hosed this round. that's me.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I don't care about his music, but I do like his shitposting.

his new song and video slaps

shits on fire

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I thought the US already had a third of the country vaccinated (or was that a goal/projection?), Wouldn't that reduce the spread considerably, even if it's still quite a bit below herd immunity?

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

MA-Horus posted:

we did that up here in ontario

3rd wave is now gonna be way bigger than 1st or 2nd, vaccinations are not gonna keep up

and it's the working public that's getting hosed this round. that's me.

:smith::hf::smith:

I'm working in a grocery store that serves older people in the morning and a substantial undergraduate student population in the evening. During the last couple of "lockdowns" nothing whatsoever changed in the store except they stopped selling alcohol at 8pm. Management doesn't want to deal with anti-maskers but if you confront them as an employee you'll get in trouble, so everyone just ignores them until they finish getting their groceries and leave (they overwhelmingly shop in the organic section). Protective measures are either hosed off entirely or only paid lip service to, like actually enforcing a limited store capacity.

Honestly if it weren't for the masks you'd barely know there was a pandemic at all.

e: But my late 80s grandparents got their second jab booked for June, so that's something :unsmith:

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I thought the US already had a third of the country vaccinated (or was that a goal/projection?), Wouldn't that reduce the spread considerably, even if it's still quite a bit below herd immunity?

Yea, but it's mostly old people and medical personnel at this point who are vaccinated right? Everyone else has basically only been eligible the last two or so weeks.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

pantslesswithwolves posted:

CDC is now warning of a potential fourth wave as cases had a 12% upward jump in the past week, prompting some pretty serious warnings from health professionals. One thing to note: it’s young people who are getting sick now.

Anecdotally speaking, even in the DC area, which had super high levels of compliance with social distancing and mask wearing, it seems like people are fatigued and have adopted the attitude of “deaths have dropped, the vaccines are here and I’ll have one within a few months, I can relax a bit.” I went out of town for a few days last week and was surprised when I got back by how many people I saw walking around without masks- so much so that I thought the DC government relaxed its mask mandate.

I’m so over this pandemic and I’m glad I got my first dose yesterday, but I’m not gonna pretend for a second that this is anywhere close to over yet.

Huh gee I guess all the kids partying for spring break the last few weeks wasn't a good idea.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I went on a long walk with Monty this last weekend and walked through Del Ray, a little enclave of Northern Virginia.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen restaurants that crowded. Even in the before times. No masks anywhere, even on people walking around.

Pandemic is over!

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Per NYT, 16% of the USA is fully vaccinated, with 29% having at least one dose. There's still a lot of tinder lying around for the brushfire and it's really not helping that we're in cold/warm/cold cycles. Cold enough for idiots to fly down to Florida to get COVID, then they come home and it's too cold to be outside and they spread COVID. Then there's a week where it's warm (for everyone to socialize and get COVID), then it goes cold and everyone retreats indoors to spread COVID.

You'd think that vaccines being an actual thing, with eligibility increasing, that people would just calm the gently caress down for another month or two. But nope, SPRING BREAK WOOOOOO

I still have to catch myself to not be angry at people outdoors unmasked - the true problem is people indoors. But some of the Florida poo poo is people packed in so tight that they're swapping spit just by talking.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Spring break is focused among the unvaccinated population. Also low take up rates. Also good weather has pushed people outside and people want to resume their lives.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

facialimpediment posted:

Per NYT, 16% of the USA is fully vaccinated, with 29% having at least one dose. There's still a lot of tinder lying around for the brushfire and it's really not helping that we're in cold/warm/cold cycles. Cold enough for idiots to fly down to Florida to get COVID, then they come home and it's too cold to be outside and they spread COVID. Then there's a week where it's warm (for everyone to socialize and get COVID), then it goes cold and everyone retreats indoors to spread COVID.

You'd think that vaccines being an actual thing, with eligibility increasing, that people would just calm the gently caress down for another month or two. But nope, SPRING BREAK WOOOOOO

I still have to catch myself to not be angry at people outdoors unmasked - the true problem is people indoors. But some of the Florida poo poo is people packed in so tight that they're swapping spit just by talking.

As long as it keeps killing the poor, minority, and urban dwellers, desantis considers this a win

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

The CDC is also saying that it's safe to be three feet apart in schools. Funny how science lines up so well with what politicians want and it's bizarre how the science changes so much country to country.

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2021/p0319-new-evidence-classroom-physical-distance.html

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/axios/status/1376908308112572418

https://twitter.com/MattGertz/status/1376908950189305857

Legislating from the minority is apparently less fun than performative lib-owning and getting paid more.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Best Friends posted:

The CDC is also saying that it's safe to be three feet apart in schools. Funny how science lines up so well with what politicians want and it's bizarre how the science changes so much country to country.

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2021/p0319-new-evidence-classroom-physical-distance.html

Guidance is based on acceptable risk, risk levels are set politically.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

Crab Dad posted:

his new song and video slaps

shits on fire

He will have promoted his new album to #1 with almost zero marketing expenses, bulldoze madison avenue and hire this kid's team.

Madonna and Lady Gaga have used this kind of shock publicity successfully but I dont't think they ever intentionally broke Kayfabe about it.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
He's in the new Logitech commercials, too.

Because webcams need spokespeople.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

facialimpediment posted:

Legislating from the minority is apparently less fun than performative lib-owning and getting paid more.

Hope he gets the job and leaves right as Newsmax goes under from the Dominion Lawsuit. Couldn’t happen to a better person.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

facialimpediment posted:

What is wrong with that man's face? I don't think I've ever seen a real person who gave me the uncanny valley effect before.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Sacrist65 posted:

He will have promoted his new album to #1 with almost zero marketing expenses, bulldoze madison avenue and hire this kid's team.

Madonna and Lady Gaga have used this kind of shock publicity successfully but I dont't think they ever intentionally broke Kayfabe about it.

I've been saying this lately. He is either a total genius or has the absolute best marketing people ever. It doesn't hurt that he is completely owning everyone on twitter/instagram.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Lemniscate Blue posted:

What is wrong with that man's face? I don't think I've ever seen a real person who gave me the uncanny valley effect before.

Looks like a parody of a televangelist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

facialimpediment posted:

Definitely, all the grifters saw Rush getting hundreds of millions without having to worry about reelection or a tiny bit of accountability.