Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Are people buying used 3080s for inflated prices? I'm trying to raise cash for a business I'm starting, and I've got a 3080 founders edition. I'm not playing many games right now and there isn't much I'm interested in until later this year so I am considering selling it and buying another one sometime down the road when supply is more reasonable. What kind of price could I get?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Most AIBs have released their reBAR updates

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-enables-resizable-bar-on-geforce-rtx-30-graphics-cards

The links are towards the bottom of the article

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I got my Bar update done this morning and it shows as working on my FE. The process took like 15 seconds so it was painless compared to a MB bios flash.

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5165

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

D-Pad posted:

Are people buying used 3080s for inflated prices? I'm trying to raise cash for a business I'm starting, and I've got a 3080 founders edition. I'm not playing many games right now and there isn't much I'm interested in until later this year so I am considering selling it and buying another one sometime down the road when supply is more reasonable. What kind of price could I get?

"Sometime down the road when supply is more reasonable" doesn't seem likely for 2021 so make sure you really don't want a new 3080 for a long time. The 3080 prices are bonkers in Canada, not sure in the US.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

repiv posted:

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-enables-resizable-bar-on-geforce-rtx-30-graphics-cards

I have to update my MOBO and GPU bios? Seems like a big walk for a nebulous performance gain...

(For instance, the promised 5% FPS gain promised in Cyberpunk would be... 2-3 FPS in my case)

change my name fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Mar 30, 2021

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Fallom posted:

That’s a firmware update for the card. X1 is software and doesn’t have firmware updates.

Whether or not that’s “the” BIOS update I’m not sure. They’ve put out BIOS updates in the past to fix small issues.

Ah well there you go. But yeah I don’t think it was THE update to resize my bar either—it must have been a couple of weeks ago at this point.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

repiv posted:

I wonder if my Asus X570-I board, which already has reBAR support in BIOS (v3001), needs an update to take advantage of this feature...

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Hemish posted:

"Sometime down the road when supply is more reasonable" doesn't seem likely for 2021 so make sure you really don't want a new 3080 for a long time. The 3080 prices are bonkers in Canada, not sure in the US.

Is it still almost impossible to get one even if you take the effort to use these bot programs that scalpers are using to get cards for resale on ebay? I got lucky and got my card the first week of release so I haven't been paying much attention, but I thought it wasn't that bad if you used some of those bots and had patience.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Updated drivers and clenched the booty hole while the vBIOS updated, came out the other side unscathed. A quick run around in Cyberpunk got me a 10FPS boost over what I was getting last night.

Not bad for a free update.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

Hemish posted:

"Sometime down the road when supply is more reasonable" doesn't seem likely for 2021 so make sure you really don't want a new 3080 for a long time.

alternatively, how have your bowel movements been lately?

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Helllllp, which one do I pick (GPU is Gigabyte 3080 Gaming OC)

edit: Just find the proper VBIOS number through the Aorus Engine app, I'm a dummy

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Mar 30, 2021

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Ffycchi posted:

https://i.imgur.com/X6bV1aM.jpg

It's been a grand time..

https://i.imgur.com/sar9CIe.jpg

But it also has been a grand time.

Good christ.
:(

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Fauxtool posted:

LTT's VerifiedActualGamer is up, GPUs are still available as of the original time of posting.

I went for the 3080 and the 3090.
The 3080 is still validating the quiz results and 3090 let me buy after about 20s of waiting.
Gotta say, the quiz was a good touch. If you had to look up the answers then you probably would not be able to complete it in time. The KOTOR one was the toughest for me. I picked turn based because i remember pausing in combat, but I think I had it confused for Mass Effect which I would consider real time with pausing.

how long did they give you to buy it again?

Also you were allowed to buy two?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alan Smithee posted:

how long did they give you to buy it again?

Also you were allowed to buy two?

about 2 min to checkout
the 3080 never finished loading but the 3090 was very smooth with no loading delays or other server crashing you would expect from the site being hammered. I was not able to attempt buying 2 so i cant tell if it was allowed

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Nvidia is easing up on the artificial segmentation for VM passthrough

https://twitter.com/PellyNV/status/1376897068955009033?s=19

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Twerkdad posted:

Updated drivers and clenched the booty hole while the vBIOS updated, came out the other side unscathed. A quick run around in Cyberpunk got me a 10FPS boost over what I was getting last night.

Not bad for a free update.

Mine left me on a permanent black screen for 15 minutes so I rebooted, 3080 FE was disabled in device manager, had to reenable and reboot and now it says it is applied.

Maybe don't gently caress with it if you aren't playing one of those specific supported games. I get the feeling like RMAs aren't going to be speedy right now.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Okay, I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I updated my vBIOS (using the correct revision number), I updated the graphics drivers, I went into my ASRock motherboard BIOS and enabled the 4G thing and Resizable BAR... and both Nvidia Control Panel and GPU-Z are telling me that BAR's still not active. What gives?

edit: CSM is disabled as well

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Mar 30, 2021

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Is your Windows installed in GPT/UEFI mode? Someone up thread mentioned their motherboard disables reBAR when booting in legacy MBR/BIOS mode

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Yeah people keep saying to make sure CSM is disabled in your motherboard BIOS (I guess technically in your motherboard UEFI interface). Anybody correct me if I’m misinformed.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 30, 2021

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
how long before someone lets you do it on the 2080ti :mad:

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

repiv posted:

v nice

Butter Hole
Dec 8, 2011

That was a bit of an annoying process. I updated my motherboard bios for my Aorus z390 last night with their QFlash feature, which was pretty painless. Dialing my overclock back in was a little annoying but not a huge deal.

The 3090 vbios update was a little more nebulous. The utility said everything was good, but after I restarted I just got a black screen, no video. I reset CMOS battery because I had to do that after my OC attempts last night but that didn't help. Eventually realized I could enter my pin and get windows sounds, so the thing was posting. I used onboard video and confirmed Windows is coming up, then went into BIOS. I had to disable CSM and that fixed it.

There's nothing about that in the NVIDIA guide, so I imagine a lot of people are going to be having the same issue. Something to look out for!

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Butter Hole posted:

That was a bit of an annoying process. I updated my motherboard bios for my Aorus z390 last night with their QFlash feature, which was pretty painless. Dialing my overclock back in was a little annoying but not a huge deal.

The 3090 vbios update was a little more nebulous. The utility said everything was good, but after I restarted I just got a black screen, no video. I reset CMOS battery because I had to do that after my OC attempts last night but that didn't help. Eventually realized I could enter my pin and get windows sounds, so the thing was posting. I used onboard video and confirmed Windows is coming up, then went into BIOS. I had to disable CSM and that fixed it.

There's nothing about that in the NVIDIA guide, so I imagine a lot of people are going to be having the same issue. Something to look out for!

Yeah this definitely doesn't sound worth it imo

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

i don't know what CSM is but after the 3070 FE bios update, MSI motherboard update, and enabling RBAR in bios everything seems to be running fine for me

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, I did the update, it took like 15-20 seconds and rebooted and it's working so wasn't a big deal for me. I already had the MB bios done a month ago.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

And of course, updating the motherboard BIOS did the trick. I don't know why it should have, the mobo already had support for Resizable BAR and the update notes mentioned nothing about it, but it did.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah people keep saying to make sure CSM is disabled in your motherboard BIOS (I guess technically in your motherboard UEFI interface). Anybody correct me if I’m misinformed.

Welp my PC can't boot without CSM because I'm MBR ride-or-die. Guess no rebar for me.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
If you still have a legacy boot disk you don't necessarily need to reinstall Windows, mbr2gpt may be able to convert your disk to UEFI. I did this and it took me like 15 minutes, almost all of which was loving with reagentc since it was broken for some reason

Very easy to enable rebar

edit: on my evga 3080 flashing the BIOS took like 30 seconds, just required me to type "y" twice, and had no issues

Malloc Voidstar fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 30, 2021

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Fauxtool posted:

about 2 min to checkout
the 3080 never finished loading but the 3090 was very smooth with no loading delays or other server crashing you would expect from the site being hammered. I was not able to attempt buying 2 so i cant tell if it was allowed

How many of these do you buy? Are you flipping every single one?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vintersorg posted:

How many of these do you buy? Are you flipping every single one?

1, none

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

repiv posted:

Will this make gaming on linux less of a 14 hour youtube tutorial of fprotting tarballs?

Passburger
May 4, 2013

Craptacular! posted:

Nah I don’t wish him ill or anything I just personally don’t want to watch him be a dork on my screen.

Welcome to my treehouse club.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

nerdrum posted:

Will this make gaming on linux less of a 14 hour youtube tutorial of fprotting tarballs?

Yeah, it’ll be shorter videos saying “install Windows in a VM”.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Passburger posted:

Welcome to my treehouse club.

No Linuses allowed.

Linuses?

...Linusi?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

repiv posted:

when are we getting sr-iov though

e: like, i don't want to have 2 gpus and a reverse kvm switch to play games if i want a janky experience wine/proton is right there

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

nerdrum posted:

I was using Moonlight to stream my games from a Windows desktop to a Windows laptop and the laptop was running hot as hell and crashing all the time, and whole stream would lock up if I typed things too fast... I booted the laptop up with an Ubuntu thumb drive and installed Moonlight to that and now it's been two weeks of the laptop running cool and quiet. I don't even have the thumb drive in it, the OS has just been running in RAM for weeks as I sleep and wake it.

2021 is not the year of linux on the laptop, but for "receive streams from this GPU and don't do anything else" it is kicking rear end.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I'm a little confused about the Bios updates. My 3080 has a silent and performance mode. In December I updated the performance mode bios to V2 and today I updated it for the resizeable BAR support. If I switch over to the quiet Bios do I need to perform both updates or will the Resizable update released today include the V2 update as well? It seems like there's a difference between the nvidia update and the Asus update.

The bios updates are found here: https://rog.asus.com/ca-en/graphics-cards/graphics-cards/rog-strix/rog-strix-rtx3080-o10g-gaming-model/helpdesk_download

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Zero VGS posted:

I was using Moonlight to stream my games from a Windows desktop to a Windows laptop and the laptop was running hot as hell and crashing all the time, and whole stream would lock up if I typed things too fast... I booted the laptop up with an Ubuntu thumb drive and installed Moonlight to that and now it's been two weeks of the laptop running cool and quiet. I don't even have the thumb drive in it, the OS has just been running in RAM for weeks as I sleep and wake it.

2021 is not the year of linux on the laptop, but for "receive streams from this GPU and don't do anything else" it is kicking rear end.

no joke as long as your laptop isn't some exotic piece of poo poo chock full of proprietary garbage, just installing linux usually adds 30-50% to battery life

unless you specifically need windows for some work or game poo poo, linux on laptop owns bones

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Truga posted:

no joke as long as your laptop isn't some exotic piece of poo poo chock full of proprietary garbage, just installing linux usually adds 30-50% to battery life

unless you specifically need windows for some work or game poo poo, linux on laptop owns bones

I always thought windows was better on battery than linux, is the opposite now true? itd be neat to eke out even 15-20% more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Anyone do shuffle today? It started early which was weird and then discord chatter saying they won but then got oos before their reserved time ended