Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If someone climbs a tree on Taskmaster they had drat well better include that in the edit

e: Tree Wizaaard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

My Lovely Horse posted:

If someone climbs a tree on Taskmaster they had drat well better include that in the edit

e: Tree Wizaaard

One of the tidbits Alex mentioned in the first episode of the official podcast is that so far, every single season has had a comedian asking if they can climb onto the roof of the house.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Ladies and Gentlemen. I give you... competitive walking

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Until I see an episode of that on my tv, i simply have to believe that it's fake.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
maybe they meant competitive wanking and then got autocorrected

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I can't see why it's any more or less ridiculous than competitive running, honestly. Or speed-walking for that matter. It also sounds like part of the competition is in presenting great views and not just walking through them.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

smellmycheese posted:

This is unbelieveably Alan Partridge 2.0.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

When it comes to Partridge you won’t find anything recently to top this

https://twitter.com/accidentalp/status/1375158973003878404?s=21

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Julio Cruz posted:

maybe they meant competitive wanking and then got autocorrected

they're making TV Go Home shows again?

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Pablo Bluth posted:

To be honest Wozniak had flown below my radar before TM. He's got a podcast I'm going to give a go; St Elwick's Neighbourhood Association Newsletter Podcast.

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/podcast-edition-1/id1484451923?i=1000454429677

He's really good, he's also got a short lived game show with Diane Morgan
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/mr-gameshow-with-mike-wozniak-diane-morgan/id1059696968
and is a treat whenever he's on the Beef and Dairy Network.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
The Great is the worst thing I've seen on TV in a long time. It's just Skins but a costume drama. Who on earth is that for :/

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

smellmycheese posted:

Race Across The World is really struggling with the restrictions on travel.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
The "all shapes and sizes" bit could be just the ticket for the Rik Waller TV come back we've all been waiting for!!!!!! :corsair:

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Line of Duty is such a guilty pleasure, it hates coppers almost as much as me.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Is it guilty? I thought it was prestige.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

All the outdoor scenes in the new Line of Duty look like something out of Zombieland. The fact they're not mentioning the pandemic at all - or pretending it's not set during it - is slightly off-putting.

Adrian Dunbar makes the show tbh and I watch it because of his performance. Everyone should speak to coppers like he does.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
Steve Wright on Radio 2 keeps saying he watched it but he's not going to talk about it and it's piquing my curiosity

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
What's funny in THE CIRCLE is that everyone has pretty much accepted that Syed is a catfish but they like him enough that they want to keep him around. And to be fair, my post from when the series started was a bit down on him (and Tally) but he's come out if it really quite likeable and his biggest crime was getting a bit excitable at the start.

He also isn't blinded enough by his crush on Manrika that he can't see her faults, particularly how she's acted recently.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
'Finding Jack Charlton' was on BBC2 last night, and is up on the iPlayer and is well worth the watch. It uses Jack's job with the Republic of Ireland as the basis, but there's so much more to it than that, mainly touching on Ireland itself, his strained relationship with his brother and ultimately his battle with dementia. Still, the moment when he's watching some footage on a laptop and instinctively cuts through the fog to go "Paul McGrath!" as the memory came back almost ended me

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'd never even heard of that film, and don't really have much actual interest in football honestly, but I'll have to track down a copy and give it a watch. Some sports documentaries are fascinating even if I know nothing about the sport. The surfing documentary Riding Giants is one of my favourite documentaries for instance, and I've never been surfing or even thought about doing it. Senna was a great documentary too, partially because it's just a really well made documentary about a really cool guy, but also because I watched a lot of F1 growing up since it was one of the few things I could hold some measure of interest in to connect with my dad. Finding Jack Charlton could be really nice for similar reasons, in that one of my earliest memories is watching the Ireland v Romania quarter final match in Italia '90, perched on the back of my parents couch at what would presumably be 7 years old and afterwards myself, my sisters and my mom packed in to the car to drive through the town and see everyone celebrating. Then finding Ole, Ole, Ole, the Irish World Cup song for that one campaign on jukeboxes in pubs for years afterwards and always enjoying it.

Also, to the guy who mentioned Do the Right Thing, thank you. I've listened to half a dozen or so episodes in the last few days, including the one with Doc Brown, and it's a fun podcast. I kind of hate the formatting and the humor of the host, since she always builds up every scenario with a quirky anecdote and then asks an almost completely unrelated question at the end and it wears thin fast, as does someone shouting the names of the names of the various parts of the show, but the actual discussion is really good in each episode I've listened to and it's given me something 7 seasons long to work through at my leisure.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

tsob posted:

I'd never even heard of that film, and don't really have much actual interest in football honestly, but I'll have to track down a copy and give it a watch.

Are you in Ireland? It's on the Virgin Media Player:
https://www.virginmediatelevision.ie/player/show/2036/183173/0/Finding-Jack-Charlton

tsob posted:

Senna was a great documentary too, partially because it's just a really well made documentary about a really cool guy, but also because I watched a lot of F1 growing up since it was one of the few things I could hold some measure of interest in to connect with my dad.

Not really into F1, but love documentaries about it. If you haven't seen it, 1: Life On The Limit is great (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1_(2013_film)). It's a history of the (lack of) safety within the sport, but is also a good general overview of the sport itself.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Mickolution posted:

Are you in Ireland? It's on the Virgin Media Player:
https://www.virginmediatelevision.ie/player/show/2036/183173/0/Finding-Jack-Charlton

Not really into F1, but love documentaries about it. If you haven't seen it, 1: Life On The Limit is great (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1_(2013_film)). It's a history of the (lack of) safety within the sport, but is also a good general overview of the sport itself.

Thanks, for the link and the recommendation.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Pretty much every episode of ESPN’s ‘30 for 30’ is well worth a watch even if you have zero interest in the sport it covers. Some absolutely fascinating tales.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

Pretty much every episode of ESPN’s ‘30 for 30’ is well worth a watch even if you have zero interest in the sport it covers. Some absolutely fascinating tales.

June 17th, 1994 is the best one I've seen probably. Maybe the OJ one is better, but there's not much in it.

For anyone who hasn't seen it, it's about the day of the OJ chase, but if I remember right, it's just TV footage from the day and goes around lots of other huge sports stuff happening that day, like the start of the World Cup, Arnold Palmer's last round at the US Open and some big games in Basketball and Hockey.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah it’s crazy just how much was going on that day. It’s usually the top pick of people who watch the show.

The 4 part OJ doc isn’t part of 30 for 30, but is absolutely fantastic. Was great watching it along with the FX drama that aired around the same time as they didn’t overlap as much as you would think.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Spuckuk posted:

Line of Duty is such a guilty pleasure, it hates coppers almost as much as me.

We've just started it recently, just getting into season 3. It's great but these shows have a tendency to suggest that the bent coppers are bad apples that need to be rooted out (by a sexy Irishman) rather than looking at the institutional problem. It might go that way in later seasons though idk.

That's why I loved the Shield - every police officer in that show was a complete and utter piece of poo poo with the possible exception of Claudette who is ground into dust for her convictions (and she does plenty of dodgy stuff too).

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I like the San Francisco Quake episode. Here’s what it looked like on the television during the World Series: https://youtu.be/Z8ExMR0c0aM

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Oof, the last few minutes of that Jack Charlton documentary hit hard. His wife standing off to one side watching silently while she narrates that she can't leave him alone, as Jack watches a video of himself singing from 1990 just after Ireland have been knocked out of the World Cup and afterwards her asking if he remembered any of it as he shakes his head. It's kind of weird to see the perspective that Charlton acted as a way to bring Ireland and England together (or at least make Ireland more benign to England; whatever about the other way around) and the 1990 World Cup success became such a symbol of renewal because I can vaguely recall some anti-English sentiment around me growing up and know my parents were quite poor and times were generally hard as I was born and in my early life but it's been different for as long as I can realistically remember so it's always a little odd to consider how different the country was and how much changed so quickly and now to think that football might have been part of the solution.

I still find it shocking that mother and baby homes, institutional abuse by nuns over unwed mothers etc. was a thing until about the time I was born because when I hear about it I automatically think of it as something from the 50s or maybe the 60s. Not the late 70s or even early 80s. Which presumably is why Paul McGrath's mother had to give him up for adoption after returning from London. Which I hadn't known about till now either. I didn't really know much about him at all really, given how passing my interest in soccer was. It's disappointing but not shocking to hear her suffered a lot of bullying growing up due to his skin color.

Also odd to see the crowds of people thronging Dublin to welcome the Irish team back. Which, I've joked before that if Ireland ever win the Rugby World Cup (since we at least have a reasonable chance of doing that compared to football), that the country would shut down for the week and that's based on fleeting memories of how the quarter final match against Italy was treated but it's still weird to see images of shops putting up notifications of closure because of the match from back then and what must have been a notable percentage of the country turning up to greet the team back. I know realistically that with modern trends that wouldn't happen, but it really does feel like it would regardless.

tsob fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 31, 2021

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

The 4 part OJ doc isn’t part of 30 for 30, but is absolutely fantastic. Was great watching it along with the FX drama that aired around the same time as they didn’t overlap as much as you would think.

I'm pretty sure it was part of 30 for 30. Anyway, doesn't matter, it's a great watch. I was about to post that it's on iPlayer, but it seems to be expiring tonight, so if anyone's got 8 hours to spare today...

Totally agree with you about the FX one, too. That was just on the right side of silly and I really enjoyed it, then the documentary expanded on stuff I didn't know/remember. It seems like there have been so many documentaries in the last few years that cover the LA riots, but the episode on that was great.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

If you like sports documentaries, Jon Bois is the absolute master of them, and all his work is on youtube, including Fighting in the Age of Loneliness, a 5 part history of the entire history up to the present day of MMA as a sport.

Everything he's made is incredibly interesting, and worth watching (but especially FitAoL, The Bob Emergency, The History of the Seattle Mariners, and his entire "Pretty Good" series) he's also fantastic at deadpan comedy through all of them.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
His stuff is all good, I'm a big fan of the Dumbest Boy Alive especially.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

It’s all about the DeVry game for me. This is incredible and basically art

https://youtu.be/T4afzQyGo5Q

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
That tingle you get the first time you hear Adrian Dunbar say "bent coppers" in a new season of Line of Duty

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Gemma aka James aka Hunter spitting his dummy out was pretty lol

Bacon Terrorist fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 1, 2021

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

https://twitter.com/MisterABK/status/1376635209005867016?s=20

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Just watched the first two episodes of the new Stacey Dooley show "This is my house". Sort of a combination of through the keyhole and call my bluff but styled like a bitchy reality show.

For something that is fundamentally very trashy it's incredibly engaging and watchable.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Colour me intrigued

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Created by Richard Bacon

Wezzo
Sep 15, 2007
Rated PG

Mainwaring posted:

Just watched the first two episodes of the new Stacey Dooley show "This is my house". Sort of a combination of through the keyhole and call my bluff but styled like a bitchy reality show.

For something that is fundamentally very trashy it's incredibly engaging and watchable.

I thought it was surprisingly fun too, extremely compelling - and with minimal spoilers, I enjoyed the connection between the first two episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

Wezzo posted:

I thought it was surprisingly fun too, extremely compelling - and with minimal spoilers, I enjoyed the connection between the first two episodes.

Yeah, that convinced me they know exactly what they're doing with this show.