Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Subnautica is a survival (horror?) based game about being isolated and alone without guidance. There are basically no tutorials, the game just organically drip feeds you new goals in the form of upgrades and blueprints and radio transmissions.

The loop of the game is

Explore
Farm
Return to Base
Craft

And crafting let’s you travel further and explore more.

The only true “hump” for me is that there are two base rooms that basically 100% bottleneck your upgrade/tech progression and you can’t really break out of the early game without them, so that’s honestly the only part of the game I’d recommend using a (100% SPOILER FREE) walkthrough on, because it’s how you upgrade both your base and also your uh... well I don’t wanna spoil it but in any case that’s the only part that felt a little too obfuscated for me.

Go explore, look around for stuff, try thinking like a caveman and don’t forget that harvesting plants is two fold! You can harvest their fruits but you can also take clippings from them! I was stuck for like an hour before my brother came to watch me and he’s played this game for like 500 hours and was like “you can harvest vines with the knife” and WHOOP suddenly I can make Fiber Mesh to craft this and that and...

All I can say is that I’ve been playing for like 15 hours and have only JUST made my way out of the starting area and begun building a satellite research facility like a mile away from my starting base and have had two moments of environmental storytelling that dropped my jaw.

Subnautica is supposed to feel overwhelming, you’re a teeny tiny fish in a big, big pond. Just stay calm, watch your o2 levels, and for the love of god save ALL THE TIME.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Mar 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Bust Rodd posted:

The only true “hump” for me is that there are two base rooms that basically 100% bottleneck your upgrade/tech progression and you can’t really break out of the early game without them, so that’s honestly the only part of the game I’d recommend using a (100% SPOILER FREE) walkthrough on, because it’s how you upgrade both your base and also your uh... well I don’t wanna spoil it but in any case that’s the only part that felt a little too obfuscated for me.
Yeah, this one is a bit finicky, so there's a clear recommendation I would give: do not bother with serious base building before you've been to the floating place. However, plonking down a single hallway tube and putting a solar panel on top will give you a lasting, self-contained oxygen tank and storage location for nearly the entire game. Those are worth placing all over the place for sheer convenience and not even expensive.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I absolutely hated the floating place, loving hated it. Because I knew that once I left it, I needed to sink into the abyss with just darkness and water around me and that's like my biggest trigger of anxiety in games like this.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, this one is a bit finicky, so there's a clear recommendation I would give: do not bother with serious base building before you've been to the floating place. However, plonking down a single hallway tube and putting a solar panel on top will give you a lasting, self-contained oxygen tank and storage location for nearly the entire game. Those are worth placing all over the place for sheer convenience and not even expensive.

Hmmm I’m really not sure what this is?

Are you talking about RASPUTIN DONT MOUSE OVER THIS YOU DWEEB
The Aurora or the Sunbeam alien temple island?

Because I have Multi-Purpose Room and MoonPool from wreckage and I’m really enjoying base building a ton.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I think you can only get multi-purpose rooms from certain ruins you can find in-game, and the floating island is one of the first you'll go to. You can tell it's there because you get a radio signal from that place. If you manage to find it somewhere else then disregard that advice.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

“I don’t want to give spoilers. Think like a caveman. Build fiber mesh stuff.”

“I then started building a satellite research facility to nuke the abyss with.”

Lmao

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
I mean, the dream of any caveman is to discover fire, invent tools, develop technology, and eventually harness the fires of the very atom itself to displace the gods and become lord of all creation, no?

I played subnautica back when it was still early access; Steam says I last played it Jan 2018. I really liked it at the time, and put it down to wait until it was 'finished.' I'm excited to pick it up again on my couch.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Sorry, after 40 hours of that game it's a bit hard to remember what is obvious and common knowledge and what you only figure out over the course of the game. I figured if it's something you can look up in the blueprint tab of your menu, it's fine to talk about.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I just finished FF7R and I remember people saying they turned into kingdom hearts. Why do people say that, this is nothing like kingdom hearts? Like this has nothing to do with the themes of it and the story wasn't remotely similar. Is it just something some famous youtube guy said and then everybody parroted it?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I meant satellite as in "a separate facility from my main base so that I don't have to swim two miles everytime i fill up my backpack", lol, sorry. The coolest part of Subnautica, for me, is that the game is entirely about DOWN instead of UP. Also, the setting being underwater is cool, because the tradeoff of nearly limitless mobility but you can't breath is just amazing. As far as I am aware I won't be going UP any time soon, but honestly who knows. My last big tech upgrade was something I was really not expecting at all, so at this point its safe to say Subnautica is fully outside of my expectations and i really have no idea where it's going.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I just finished FF7R and I remember people saying they turned into kingdom hearts. Why do people say that, this is nothing like kingdom hearts? Like this has nothing to do with the themes of it and the story wasn't remotely similar. Is it just something some famous youtube guy said and then everybody parroted it?

Because people are assholes.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The one on one fights play very much like Kingdom Hearts boss battles imo

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
FFVII-R is "like" Kingdom Hearts only in the sense that it takes a hard swerve out of the thing it was notionally about into full bad-anime metaphysics about confronting the personification of fate and it does so with this kind of characteristic gracelessness that a lot of people associate with Kingdom Hearts. I definitely don't think the game as a whole is anywhere near what comparisons to Kingdom Hearts suggest it might be, but in that sense it did kind of get me thinking in those terms.

I guess it's also notably the case that with FFVII-R, Square Enix have finally managed to craft the action-RPG hybrid they've been trying and failing to invent since the original Kingdom Hearts. They've gone through a lot of attempts in a lot of systems but FFVII-R is the first time that all the things they've tried to tie together have both worked entirely on their own terms and had any kind of harmony together.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

FF7R is like Kingdom Hearts in that both are good

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Would've been my thought as well. It does have that action-RPG gameplay that FF13 was trying and failing to be.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Really: this.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The combat in FF7R is the conclusion of all the work that Kingdom Hearts has been building on for years, the parallels are many and extremely obvious. The storyline getting metaphysical and needlessly clunky with lots of unnecessary ghosts is also a very large similarity.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

There is no such thing as an unnecessary ghost. Ghosts are always needed, even if nobody realizes it.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I don't think it plays that much like Kingdom Hearts. KH is much more about mobility

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Pablo Nergigante posted:

This, also the combat system in KH2 is DMC level amazing so they don't need to have 'finally perfected' anything.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Sakurazuka posted:

This, also the combat system in KH2 is DMC level amazing so they don't need to have 'finally perfected' anything.

Yeah it's really good. KH3 combat feels great too but it's almost a little too easy since you have so many different options

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
They patched in a way to turn off Attraction Attacks because the overwhelming consensus on release was that they broke the game completely and removed any semblance of difficulty for basically every non-boss encounter.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Caesar Saladin posted:

I was so excited to play Disco Elysium but my government won't let me.

So do it anyway. All you need is a PSN account in a different region, right?

Assuming you're :australia:

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020

Cardiovorax posted:

Would've been my thought as well. It does have that action-RPG gameplay that FF13 was trying and failing to be.

Idk if id agree with it being a failure considering 13 - LR combat is probably one of my favorite battle systems ever and well probably never get anything like it again. Do love the 7r system tho and it does take inspiration from it

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
I stopped playing Subnautica for some reason on the PS4, how is the PS5 version? I'm super sensitive to framerate unfortunately so if its improved I might start it up again.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

HampHamp posted:

I stopped playing Subnautica for some reason on the PS4, how is the PS5 version? I'm super sensitive to framerate unfortunately so if its improved I might start it up again.
It normally has a locked 30 FPS, but on PS5 you can supposedly unlock the framerate by following these instructions:

quote:

This game has a locked 30fps & runs pretty bad on Ps4 & Pro but on Ps5 you can unlock the fps. Press L1 + R1 + X + Square at the same time, type vsync on the Console. Game will run up to 210fps or more.
I don't have a PS5 yet, but it seems legit.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
I have the PlayStation 5

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
The actual ps5 version is forthcoming around the time of the sequels launch right?

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020
Yes i beliebe so. Im being a patient gamer because of

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Disco Elysium has a -20% discount for PS Plus subscribers until April 7.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006

Billy Gnosis posted:

The actual ps5 version is forthcoming around the time of the sequels launch right?

Did not know that, thanks! I mean I'm in the middle of like 8 games so I'm sure I can wait.

Not sure what to do about yakuza 7 - I love it but I started on PS4, not realising saves wouldn't transfer to PS5. Not sure if I can be arsed to do it all over again, I'm like 50 hours in. Massive first world problems.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

ZeeBoi posted:

Disco Elysium has a -20% discount for PS Plus subscribers until April 7.

:monocle:

That is pretty awesome.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

HampHamp posted:

I’m finding it buttery smooth and beautiful, the only thing I’ve really seen on my Nanocell is that sometimes my base will pop in about 50 meters before the surrounding countryside comes in through the murky water, but that only happens at night.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m finding it buttery smooth and beautiful, the only thing I’ve really seen on my Nanocell is that sometimes my base will pop in about 50 meters before the surrounding countryside comes in through the murky water, but that only happens at night.
That happens even on PC, I think. It's likely to make the base more of a landmark that you can use for orientation.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Is redeeming codes on the store broken for anyone else?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
So am I loving crazy and rushed in too fast or does Subnautica not have automated ityool 2021?

Saves. Autosaves.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 30, 2021

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Sakurazuka posted:

Is redeeming codes on the store broken for anyone else?

The entire goddamn store is broken for me.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

So am I loving crazy and rushed in too fast or does Subnautica not have automated ityool 2021?
Automated what?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Someone sell me on Disco Elysium. I’m kinda burned out on those sorts of big brain text heavy deep complex idea “not like your average game” games. I don’t know, they usually leave me cold compared to something that lets me just punch skeletons or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Someone sell me on Disco Elysium. I’m kinda burned out on those sorts of big brain text heavy deep complex idea “not like your average game” games. I don’t know, they usually leave me cold compared to something that lets me just punch skeletons or whatever.

this ones got voice acting.