Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Karloff posted:

It's hard, but I think the best way forward is to unlink the sensation of drinking with the sensation of watching films. I've had my problems with drinking, although not so much doing it casually while enjoying other activities, but more overdoing it at social events leading to frequent blackouts etc, but I did use to smoke weed way too much and intrinsically tied my film watching to my weed consumption to the extent that I thought I couldn't enjoy a film without smoking weed.

Though I do occasionally smoke casually with friends I don't at my home anymore and not while watching films. What it took was practise and time, I just had to retrain myself not to associate the feeling of smoking with watching films. With drink, what I use to help with not going too far on nights out is swapping drinks with similar textured things like Kombucha or sparkling water with flavours etc which might work for you. I still do have that compulsive need to be consuming something while sitting down and watching something, or playing something, so teas are also a really good shout. They're cheap, and providing you don't throw any sugar in are extremely low calorie and give your hands something to do while watching.

Another avenue is to refocus on why you enjoy films, and try to enjoy them in a different way. Your mileage may vary on this but I find meditation and present moment awareness of a film can improve the experience tremendously. There's nothing in drink that actually improves the film, it's just that nice feeling of relaxation and ease that drink provides you, but I've found that lovely feeling of ease and well-being never gets better than my first sip of my first drink which is before any alcohol has hit my system, which means that feeling is available to me without alcohol. This could be seen as woo nonsense ymmv, but it's helped me unhook from seeking stuff compulsively, if you feel that you want something (a drink etc), just allow yourself to sit and experience that sensation non-judgementally without acting upon it.

Breaking a habit is hard, but it's constant repetition that gets it done. So the more films you watch without drinking the easier it will be. There was a time when I thought I wouldn't be able to enjoy any films/games without being high, but now the thought doesn't often occur to me. Thinking of the benefits also helps. I've always been into fitness and exercise daily, but it's amazing how much drinking like a maniac on the weekends can hamper your progress. I am much stronger and feel a lot better having cut down my alcohol intake.

This is a brilliant post and extremely helpful. I appreciate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Geekboy posted:

Ignoring Hot Fuzz, even to get laid, is just too much.

New thread title

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Karloff’s post is great advice. Additionally, I’m not a beer drinker so I can’t speak to that, but I’d gotten in a habit of drinking cocktails on weeknights (a combination of quarantine and working 7 days a week has made “weekend” sort of a non-concept,) and I’ve been trying to curtail that. There are a few things that make for healthier substitutes:

1) If you have a diet soda or water, gussy it up a little. Throw it in a glass over ice and a citrus wedge. Adding some bitters can help improve the flavor and make it more complex.

2) There are Italian sodas like San Pellegrino’s Chinotto that mimic the flavor of apertifs and digestifs. They have a bitter, complex flavor that is what I’m often seeking in a cocktail, but without the alcohol and fewer of the calories. Nice for a slow sip with a book.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i've been doing the mocktail thing to cut back on drinking too. club soda w/ lime is a good classic sober drink (also a good thing to order if yr out with friends at a bar and don't want to drink, most bartenders will just assume you're the designated driver and give it to you for free).

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I hit a wall with drinking after my Mom died and then a few months into COVID, so solidarity goon friend. The mocktail advice here is really solid.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i've been doing the mocktail thing to cut back on drinking too. club soda w/ lime is a good classic sober drink (also a good thing to order if yr out with friends at a bar and don't want to drink, most bartenders will just assume you're the designated driver and give it to you for free).

I just do this with regular ol' mineral water.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've been into sparkling water lately. Satisfies my cravings for soda

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
There's probably a certain decline in movie-watching that would be inevitable if one stops drinking, if only because movies are a sedentary activity and you're likely going to feel more energized and into doing other more active things than sitting on the couch. So that's a positive and something to be celebrated, plus the desire to watch movies will definitely regenerate after a period of time, even if it doesn't quite get back to the frequency it was.

I was thinking about it last night and it occurred to me that I might actually watch better movies if I quit drinking, because I'd be more motivated to actually engage with interesting stuff instead of having a few drinks and watching John Wick 3 for the eighth time or whatever. But the quantity would definitely drop.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 30, 2021

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I have been enjoying movies more often and more actively since scheduling a block of time each week for watching one. It also helps motivate me to watch longer films; if I’ve got three hours of my schedule marked out, then it doesn’t matter much if a movie is 90 or 160 minutes.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Anonymous Robot posted:

I have been enjoying movies more often and more actively since scheduling a block of time each week for watching one. It also helps motivate me to watch longer films; if I’ve got three hours of my schedule marked out, then it doesn’t matter much if a movie is 90 or 160 minutes.

Yeah, scheduling it probably helps. My problem tends to be thinking "I can't devote 2 hours to this," then spending 4 hours binging a TV show I've already watched.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I used to only watch movies while drinking, and only after I drastically cut back on my drinking (down to like one or two drinks a week) did I realize I couldn't clearly remember large chunks of movies because I was drunk halfway through the movie. I don't remember having a definite "I'm going to watch movies sober now" moment, but I'm glad I do, because I'm a little more willing to try something unusual rather than a fun horror or action movie. I still occasionally get in a slump where I don't want to watch movies, but it's not because of drinking. I was looking on all my streaming services for something to watch on Sunday, but nothing sounded good so I just played Diablo 2 instead. But I grabbed a copy of The Omega Man from the library because I recently read I Am Legend and I'm hella stoked to watch it.

I think there are lots of factors that determine if you're in the mood for a movie or not. I'd say just give it a bit of time, don't beat yourself up about not watching movies, and keep an eye out for something fun that really sparks your interest again.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, scheduling it probably helps. My problem tends to be thinking "I can't devote 2 hours to this," then spending 4 hours binging a TV show I've already watched.

Yeah. I have been working 50-60hr/7 day weeks since COVID started, and being structured and intentional with how I spend my time has been freeing for me and allowed me to use my scant spare time in a more rewarding way.

I was spending way too much time scrolling my phone and watching youtube videos. It all came to a head a few weeks ago when I took a week vacation for the first time in almost a decade. I was looking forward to having lots of free time and resting, but I actually felt tyrannized by the combination of free time and the need to be productive. I had a really bad time, and I didn’t do any of the leisure and self-fulfillment things I had been hoping to. towards the end I realized that, maybe I don’t know how to de-stress anymore and I’m hosed up from overwork, but being intentional with my time and making sure that I devote time to restful activities does a lot more to counteract that than just thinking “at this time I’ll be free.”

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

duz posted:

He's in the third Scorpion King movie along with Dave Bautista, Ron Perlman and Temuera Morrison. There's been five Scorpion King movies so far and I can't recall any of them being worth watching, even the first one that still features The Rock.

If you're desperate for a Conan the Barbarian knockoff movie you could do worse than the first one but yeah there ain't much to it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I know I'm late about this but I just found out that Criterion finally released a box set of Wong Kar-Wai's movies but Kar-Wai made them change all the movies to look worse as a joke. That is the funniest goddamn thing.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Gripweed posted:

I know I'm late about this but I just found out that Criterion finally released a box set of Wong Kar-Wai's movies but Kar-Wai made them change all the movies to look worse as a joke. That is the funniest goddamn thing.

The whole saga has been incredibly funny.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The WKW set is worse, but the Varda set also had a batch of restorations that made all the movies look like they’d been dunked in pee.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I have a family member that quit drinking by going all-in on tonic water. It's just disgusting enough that it scratches that alcohol itch.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Welp, time to go watch Giant Lizard and Big Monke on HBO Max.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Gripweed posted:

And basically everyone is annoyed by it. I know some people have defended the decision by saying that this is the way they were always supposed to look and it was home video that got it wrong. Ok, maybe that's true, but if those releases have stayed somewhat consistent throughout the years, you probably have to accept the fact that the majority of people who are familiar with your movies are familiar with those versions, regardless of what you were thinking in 1998.

It's like how, despite being Director and Cinematographer approved, DO THE RIGHT THING went from being the hottest day of the year to kind of overcast.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The WKW set is worse, but the Varda set also had a batch of restorations that made all the movies look like they’d been dunked in pee.

L'immagine ritrovata has decided that films made by Americans, Italians, French, and Chinese from the 60's to the 90's should all look the same.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day

DrVenkman posted:

It's like how, despite being Director and Cinematographer approved, DO THE RIGHT THING went from being the hottest day of the year to kind of overcast.

Wait what's this? I almost bought the criterion earlier this week.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

They took the red color grading out of the picture.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What are y'all's favorite instances of the title of the movie being used in dialogue?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Welcome... to Jurassic Park.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Frankly my dear, we're all just a little bit gone with the wind.

Or something, it's been a while.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

If I’m gonna die then I’m gonna die historic on the fury road

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

feedmyleg posted:

What are y'all's favorite instances of the title of the movie being used in dialogue?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiqPmsBYieA

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

"Open the 2001: A Space Odyssey's doors please, Hal"

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spatulater bro! posted:

Frankly my dear, we're all just a little bit gone with the wind.

Or something, it's been a while.

This is the line:

https://twitter.com/Saythetitle/status/909933269982105605?s=19

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
it's gotta be Face/Off

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
"I can't wait to get Out Of Africa."

LesterGroans posted:

it's gotta be Face/Off

It's actually this though

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

LesterGroans posted:

it's gotta be Face/Off

Every time I see that title I parse the “/” as the little pause between the words Cage gives when he says the line.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

LesterGroans posted:

it's gotta be Face/Off

:hmmyes:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

feedmyleg posted:

*ominous music*

"You know what day it is, don't ya?"
"Yeah, it's Friday the 13th Part 3 in 3-D."

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

The title drop in The Departed will always be funny to me.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Flying Zamboni posted:

The title drop in The Departed will always be funny to me.

it does own that even the title of that movie demands to be said in a bad Boston accent

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Every time I watch Saving Private Ryan it takes me out of it a little, especially since it's during a heartfelt speech about the pointlessness of war. It totally works in the context but I can't take it seriously knowing that they're saying the movie's title.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

"Wow this really has been Saló: or the 120 Days of Sodom!"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Morgan Freeman: "These murders, there's going to be Se-Seven-En of them."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SX0XqoFqAmA&t=50s