Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

oh i just found this image from pages ago still loaded in a tab and i was gonna say: why did they program it this way, where the shooter suddenly just fires some random other direction? surely it would be more realistic and less frustrating to have the shooter fire straight and the alien dodge it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
never played xcom but I would guess it works better in the way more common case of the alien being 20 yards away

it must be adding a fixed perpendicular offset to the target’s position, so it creates a near miss at range but looks ridiculous when the distance to target is about the same as the offset

haveblue fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Mar 28, 2021

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

the frustration is the point, have y’all never played xcom

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

https://twitter.com/antodemico/status/1376253443376037895?s=21

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

hades is good

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/kuvosa/status/1337851448478994432

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

jesus WEP posted:

the frustration is the point, have y’all never played xcom

i have not had xcom

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i have not had xcom

its a lot of fun

https://giant.gfycat.com/SpanishBlankCanary.webm

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The best X-COM game is X-COM Apocalypse. The worst X-COM game is X-COM and X-COM 2. The Bureau is second-best.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lol I forgot to watch the newest MATN FO4 Survival (all damage is permanent, no healing items) on Sunday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpElmNBprms&t=2912s

Timestamped ^^ An almost-bad thing with three VATS misses and then just when you think it's all good an unpleasant surprise.

lmao I'm sure that radscorpion just materialised from out of the ether

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The best X-COM game is X-COM Apocalypse. The worst X-COM game is X-COM and X-COM 2. The Bureau is second-best.

the bureau was shockingly good, i recently played it for the first time and it was super enjoyable all the way through

the new xcom2 owns though, pretty close to the perfect xcom game

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
xcom2 is fantastic and the expansion makes it much better

worth playing the first time without the expansion though

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

I loved xcom 2 but just can't get through the expansion for some reason. all the game mechanics are pretty neat but something about it drags for me.

I think part of it might just be the terrible writing. it's no worse than a typical AAA game but the """badass""" dialogue of all the new characters is super grating

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
play the new isometric turn-based shadowrun game expansions (not the base game, base game sucks). prolly the best written xcom-like. combat sucks a fair bit in it tho

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

play the new isometric turn-based shadowrun game expansions (not the base game, base game sucks). prolly the best written xcom-like. combat sucks a fair bit in it tho
yeah. hong kong and dragonfall were great. easy as piss to blast through with simple builds like quickness/assault rifle or area-attack mage. but the writing is fun

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

It's been sat in my backlog for a year without playing, but as a bunch of you loved Disco Elysium, the Final Cut is released today (might be already)

Free upgrade for all players
New Political Vision Quests
New Characters
New Clothes
New Cutscenes
Full English Voice Over
Full Controller Support
+ more!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lmao I'm sure that radscorpion just materialised from out of the ether

I had a giant radscorpion do a Tarhiel on me on the road out of Concord. Nearly shat myself. However, it either died on impact or was dead already. No skill magazine of Icarian Flight though :(

(My character was like level 9 in survival mode, with his best gun being a short hunting rifle with gently caress-all for upgrades. Not a situation where you want any radscorpion dropping by.)

psiox posted:

the bureau was shockingly good, i recently played it for the first time and it was super enjoyable all the way through

the new xcom2 owns though, pretty close to the perfect xcom game

Remember the original trailer from 2010?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdVb4UnqO7A

Can you go prone/crawl in XCOM 2? If not, it's poo poo.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Mar 30, 2021

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

the radscorpion is not as good as the missile under the nose or the super mutant literally inches away from finding and killing him, but it was still very good

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I just realized that trailer looks like it was made with the Bioshock engine.

And I guess there's a likelihood that it was?

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

anyone played the original x-com lately?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

ARK has got to be one of the most incredibly disappointing games. I thought it was going to be like subnautica on land or something and it wasn't that at all. it wasn't anything really, just super janky.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
ark is the gold standard for lovely survival. full of jank, bad survival mechanics, and nothing interesting to make up for any of it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the only good thing ark ever gave the world

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

had a friend try to get me on arma 3 then ark and i no longer trust this friend's recs on games

i dont mind jank in a game from 1997. its insane to me that valheim is this polished as an alpha and ark is still an extreme buggy shitpile after being out so long

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i bet that friend loved paintball/airsoft too

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Shaggar posted:

i knew a guy who was extremely into airsoft and he was very much into ark and arma. ran his own servers and everything. I tried, but just... no.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

word on the street is the only good xcom game is that Mario Vs rabbids game

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

word on the street is the only good xcom game is that Mario Vs rabbids game

its a surprisingly good game. i hadn't touched a turn-based game since ff tactics advance and bought it on a recommendation and it was a ton of fun

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Mayro and rabbits game was pretty good and surprisingly deep

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Shaggar posted:

its like you're peering into my soul so accurate is this statement

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

gears tactics is a good xcom-like, has some cool mechanics to encourage more aggressive play. mutant year zero is cool too though in the opposite direction as gears, you can't really survive except by being as sneaky as possible

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

a bunch of ea garbage is available through game pass and I’ve discovered that the battlefront 2 campaign is actually really good

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Boiled Water posted:

its like you're peering into my soul so accurate is this statement

yeah, same

gently caress I spent a lot of money on weird gun nerd larp poo poo when I was in college

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

nintendo just needs to make another advance wars to scratch my turn-based strategy itch.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

nintendo just needs to make another advance wars to scratch my turn-based strategy itch.

You might enjoy Unity of Command 2. It's got fairly deep turn based strategy mechanics and plays much more smoothly than other games in its genre, sometimes bordering on puzzle-game style.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I once bought Fire Embolism Pool of Radiance because like an idiot I thought it was a turn-based tactical wargame.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Lysidas posted:

xcom2 is fantastic and the expansion makes it much better

worth playing the first time without the expansion though
xcom2 was pretty fantastic but the Avatar Project countdown was a constant anxiety inducing distraction for me. I just wanted to do random skirmishes and upgrade my dudes.

Laser Squad was the best xcom

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

that recent x-com was only okay although the breach mechanic was fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

wargroove is good