Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

the Antibirth floors are hard as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ArfJason posted:

i think the alt floor progression is unlocked after killing blue baby three times. i would have thought itd be revealed a bit later but it seems fair enough

Hush, not blue baby

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Oh thats much better then

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
oh, there's a Bullet Visibility setting in the menu that gives enemy shots a glowing aura! Dunno if it's new or has always been there but drat that's handy when things get hectic

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Has anyone figured out how to open the door to The Corpse yet? I can confirm that Mom's Knife DOESN'T work like it did in Antibirth.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Has anyone figured out how to open the door to The Corpse yet? I can confirm that Mom's Knife DOESN'T work like it did in Antibirth.
You build the knife pieces and then stab the door?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ArfJason posted:

from what i gather the new content is mostly relegated to mid-late game, but ab+ on a fresh file felt harder than base rebirth on a fresh file did, though i was working with like 6 year old memories when it came to doing ab+.

At launch Afterbirth and Afterbirth+ did make the game harder for new players because the more difficult alternate floors, enemy variants, and bosses were just tossed into the game regardless of your progress as long as you had the DLC installed. One of the booster packs fixed this by adding a bunch of new Achievements to the game, so you're not dealing with Void Portals or Big Horn or the Burnt Basement until after you've beaten the game many times.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Big ol' spoilers for the new path:

This is the hard one, you might want to click this -> In Downpour/Dross 2 there's a room with a white fire and a room with a mirror. Touch the fire and you die and turn in to the Lost, then go to the mirror room and pass through the mirror. On the other side, make your way to the item room to find the first key item. Return to your body if you don't want to continue as the Lost.

This one should be kind of obvious, if you explore floors fully -> In Mines/Ashpit 2, there's three yellow buttons around the floor and a tall room with a minecart in it. Push all three buttons to activate the minecart track and hop in the minecart. Just follow the track to the next key item.

Once you have these items, just continue as you would in Antibirth.

Beto Rocha
Jan 2, 2010

Psychedelicatessen posted:

This is the hard one, you might want to click this -> In Downpour/Dross 2 there's a room with a white fire and a room with a mirror. Touch the fire and you die and turn in to the Lost, then go to the mirror room and pass through the mirror. On the other side, make your way to the item room to find the first key item. Return to your body if you don't want to continue as the Lost.

Wow, this happened to me this morning and i didn't know how to get my body back. Ended up losing to the boss as the Lost, also there's a cool new effect when you lose the holy mantle.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Psychedelicatessen posted:

Big ol' spoilers for the new path:

This one should be kind of obvious, if you explore floors fully -> In Mines/Ashpit 2, there's three yellow buttons around the floor and a tall room with a minecart in it. Push all three buttons to activate the minecart track and hop in the minecart. Just follow the track to the next key item.

Once you have these items, just continue as you would in Antibirth.

Thank you so much! Just because I'm staggeringly dumb and therefore bad at puzzles, is there anything else you have to do in the mausoleum?

Edit: Nope, looks like there are only two knife pieces now? Cool!

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 31, 2021

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Thank you so much! Just because I'm staggeringly dumb and therefore bad at puzzles, is there anything else you have to do in the mausoleum?
You only need the two pieces to make the knife, there's nothing to the puzzle in Mauseleum 2, besides stabbing the flesh door after Mom.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Are there any advantages to taking the alternate paths besides challenge?

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
posting for the first time in years to inform people that currently the glass cannon no longer destroys your health???? instead it breaks if you get hit and then you have to charge it to use it again. some of the regular items have been tweaked which is throwing off my "do I abandon a run" calculus.

Princeps32 fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 31, 2021

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Barf why is the content locked behind hush. I hate hush and liked pretending it didn't exist.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Unlocks, item rooms always have 2 items (but not quite like in Antibirth) and the challenge. I also think the boss rush timer is more lenient on the alt path, it was still open at 21 mins.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

PIZZA.BAT posted:

treasure rooms on the alternate path floors let you choose between two items, though one of them is hidden from you until you pick it up.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

it's good to play again but I still think starting damage should be 5-7 MINIMUM, or enemies should have half as much health

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

tried a game at lunch lazarus on hard. got through downpour and that was maybe the first time playing this game where i was like 'hey i am actually like noticing a graphic of some artistic choice in this game instead of ignoring all the art'. died in some mine level

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Does this game use Steam Workshop for mods?

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

So many new trinkets... so hard to tell what they do...

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Black August posted:

it's good to play again but I still think starting damage should be 5-7 MINIMUM, or enemies should have half as much health

Yeah I've always thought there should be a starting DPS upgrade across the board. The current is dated.

Enemies actually do have slightly less HP now--apparently you used to have to drop enemy health to negatives to kill them and now they die at 0. It's noticeable on some of the early enemies.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
ive always thought that with how much of a bitch they are to deal with some times, regular spiders should die with 1 shot less

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug
I'm enjoying Repentance so far, but its rough to play unmodded again. I hate dealing with curses and I am really used to having Good Trip. I miss Eden's Favor too.

Sininu posted:

Does this game use Steam Workshop for mods?
Yes, although an expansion just came out, and none of the mods work for it yet. Mod support is supposed to come back, but not yet. Presumably players who don't own the latest expansion can still use mods from the steam workshop.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The Negative now provides a passive damage upgrade if you take it. Something to keep in mind if you're going through the Antibirth route.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

I'm enjoying Repentance so far, but its rough to play unmodded again. I hate dealing with curses and I am really used to having Good Trip. I miss Eden's Favor too.

Yes, although an expansion just came out, and none of the mods work for it yet. Mod support is supposed to come back, but not yet. Presumably players who don't own the latest expansion can still use mods from the steam workshop.

Thanks, was wondering if it's going to be annoying or not to use mods. Also, do mods disable achievements in this? Thinking about buying it and I really don't want to go consult wiki every 5 minutes.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
ive never once tried a single Isaac mod, but from what i recall they disable achievemnts, or at least some of them did? in retrospect idk if the info mod did that

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
It's going to be PURE HELL to get through these extra stages path as some of the harder characters.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
drat some of the new stuff is *hard*

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the alternate Mausoleum floor is pretty cool

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

ArfJason posted:

ive never once tried a single Isaac mod, but from what i recall they disable achievemnts, or at least some of them did? in retrospect idk if the info mod did that

You must kill mom once achievement free and then you can run mods and still get achievements

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

ArfJason posted:

ive always thought that with how much of a bitch they are to deal with some times, regular spiders should die with 1 shot less

I feel like spiders and flies should always die in 1 hit no matter what your damage is

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Chin Strap posted:

You must kill mom once achievement free and then you can run mods and still get achievements

Wait really!?

That's great, then I'll get the expansion after mod support comes back and I put a mod that helps mitigate the early floor slog.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Wait really!?

That's great, then I'll get the expansion after mod support comes back and I put a mod that helps mitigate the early floor slog.
For what it's worth, the shop on the first floor is now also accessible without a key, so there's a slightly higher chance of getting more items at the start.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

ArfJason posted:

The only pc mod i have ever used was the one for item descriptions in isaac

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
when afterbirth+ first came out mods disabled achievements (and therefore progression) but after everyone complained that that was extremely bad they backed off on it. afaik cheevos are all mod safe

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Also: drat the new Mom fight is :stare:

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

The only pc mod i have ever used was the one for item descriptions in isaac

The one that disables the screen-filling pop-ups is a must. There's a graphics mod that just re-sprites some of the recolors I'm partial to as well.

Whoever was saying it's too dark, try turning up the gamma a bit. Going to 110 is helping a lot.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Edmund: We want to make the game harder to break

My very first Repentence run:

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

So my first run with Bethany, I ended up having my spirits all gain different tear effects and their look changed as well. .

Is this normal or a special interaction with an item I had?

I first noticed it after grabbing Dead Sea Scrolls. Gained spirits that teleported enemies to different parts of the room, lobbed mini ipacec, stunned, etc, all shortly after I got that effect from the scroll. Coupled with a 2 bar charge, that's a hell of a synergy. Only other idea was Rainbow baby causing it?

Eclipse12 fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

The one that disables the screen-filling pop-ups is a must.
There's a toggle for those on the options screen now.

Sininu posted:

Thanks, was wondering if it's going to be annoying or not to use mods. Also, do mods disable achievements in this? Thinking about buying it and I really don't want to go consult wiki every 5 minutes.
Installing and enabling/disabling mods is trivial in this (once mod support comes back).