Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Didn't All Might have a sidekick? And Nana had Gran Torino?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
https://twitter.com/YonkouProd/status/1376647476912943107

Heads up, might be an unexpected break this week.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Mraagvpeine posted:

All Might had Nighteye, whose job as his sidekick basically seems to have been "does all the paperwork and constantly whines about The Prophecy".

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!

Mraagvpeine posted:

Deku will have Aoyama to spell out the next villain to chase in elaborate cheese displays.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Much respect to Turtle Girl for having the courage to stick her neck out like this.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

amigolupus posted:

We know Deku's going to chump Muscular, but the main thing I'm curious about is how Deku will inspire these stubborn survivalists to believe in heroes again. Is it just going to be him taking hits meant for the others, or will he do something more awe-inspiring?

Deku will use one of his new powers "mind control" to force people to like heroes again

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

If AFO was held in the US instead and he did his little jailbreak ploy, he'd get a dozen villains hell-bent on destroying society, and a thousand nonviolent drug offenders who want to see their family again.

Those are my idle thoughts when I hear people want the story to go overseas, thank you.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

AFO wouldn’t be in prison in the U.S. because of his presidential immunity.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

AFO would join forces with Kingpin, Lex Luthor, and Mr. Sinister and the world would've ended by now.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Didn't Vigilantes hint that the US has far more limited quirk restrictions since it's considered part of "the right to bear arms"?

Dude with Bear Arms: Yeah, that's right

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The supposedly strict Quirk restrictions in Japan are never actually seen being enforced.

Katsuki would be serving a life sentence at this point if they were.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I still hold by my theory that the government spirits away any kid with a mind reading quirk when discovered.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Mraagvpeine posted:

I still hold by my theory that the government spirits away any kid with a mind reading quirk when discovered.

If they didn't grab Shinso - someone with the power to physically compel anyone who he talks to to do whatever he wants them to, which is potentially the most society destabilizing quirk in the manga besides AFO, Momo, and Twice - they're probably not grabbing anyone.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Mar 31, 2021

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Mraagvpeine posted:

Nana still went off to die alone, and All Might still took on most of the responsibility for everything on his own until he got too infirm from missing internal organs to keep it up. They have confidants and friends, but the OFA holders we see don't actually seem to trust in the ability of other people to shoulder the weight of actually doing anything that they consider serious business.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

There's a human lie detector in Vigilantes and she seems to be fine and well adjusted.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Kanos posted:

If they didn't grab Shinso - someone with the power to physically compel anyone who he talks to to do whatever he wants them to, which is potentially the most society destabilizing quirk in the manga besides AFO, Momo, and Twice - they're probably not grabbing anyone.

Isn't it pretty obvious when Shinsou uses his Quirk? Like, I don't know that he could actually subvert the government or anything.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
We should go to America just to let Hori have fun drawing quirk Texas.

King Hill! Quirk: Propane

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

Isn't it pretty obvious when Shinsou uses his Quirk? Like, I don't know that he could actually subvert the government or anything.

yeah his quirk is pretty limited as mind-control powers go. he can't compel the afflicted to do anything that requires much in the way of higher thought, and one good shock knocks them out of their trance

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Nuebot posted:

Nana still went off to die alone, and All Might still took on most of the responsibility for everything on his own until he got too infirm from missing internal organs to keep it up. They have confidants and friends, but the OFA holders we see don't actually seem to trust in the ability of other people to shoulder the weight of actually doing anything that they consider serious business.

I wonder if Bakugou taking a hit for him is what convinced Deku to run off alone. He's always looked up to Bakugou and put him on the same level as All Might and he almost died trying to protect Deku, that's probably really messed with him.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Rand Brittain posted:

It activates whenever he wants it to with no indication that he's doing it. The only restricting conditions are that you have to respond to something he says(so if you just don't reply to him at all it doesn't work) and it can't be over a phone or anything, it has to be in person. In the joint training arc he demonstrated that they don't even need to realize they're responding to Shinso, since his new trick was using a mask to imitate other peoples' voices. Anyone who doesn't know about his quirk is basically completely defenseless against it, because the trigger can be as innocuous as Shinso asking "how are you" and the target responding "fine, thank you".

Oxxidation posted:

yeah his quirk is pretty limited as mind-control powers go. he can't compel the afflicted to do anything that requires much in the way of higher thought, and one good shock knocks them out of their trance

He was able to compel several people to willingly wash out of a gigantic tournament in front of a crowd of thousands of people with no issue, and during Joint Training he was able to compel people into paralysis in the middle of an active fight. We haven't seen him do anything more sinister with it because he wants to be a hero and has been explicitly fighting against the idea that his power is inherently villainous for his entire life, but there's nothing to suggest he couldn't get people to do some messed up stuff. If you wanted to extrapolate how the government could use Shinso's power in a lovely but effective way, think about Hawks - with Shinso as a government agent, political undesirables could suddenly have an upswing in "walked off a balcony" or "drank rat poison".

The only people we've seen break Shinso's control once established are Deku(who did it with the help of OFA ghosts and literally breaking one of his own bones), Ojiro(who took an active body check from someone else), and the beast kid from 1B, who was completely helpless on his own and only broke free with the help of his teammate who had foreknowledge of what Shinso's quirk does and how it works.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Mar 31, 2021

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Shinso was probably an utter nightmare growing up.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Kanos posted:

He was able to compel several people to willingly wash out of a gigantic tournament in front of a crowd of thousands of people with no issue, and during Joint Training he was able to compel people into paralysis in the middle of an active fight. We haven't seen him do anything more sinister with it because he wants to be a hero and has been explicitly fighting against the idea that his power is inherently villainous for his entire life, but there's nothing to suggest he couldn't get people to do some messed up stuff.

no, he defined his limits pretty clearly. making you stand still or turn around and walk into a wall is within his capabilities, but he's not even able to make somebody write their own name when they're tranced. they have all the agency and intelligence of windup toys

could he force them to horribly injure themselves if he was so inclined? probably! but that alone isn't enough to make him public enemy no. 1 like you're suggesting. i'd put the meatball kid over him in that category

e: to respond to your edit, even something like "drink rat poison" wouldn't be an effective command, because the afflicted wouldn't have the mental capability to identify what "rat poison" is

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Funky Valentine posted:

Shinso was probably an utter nightmare growing up.

Big props to his parents for having a kid with that power and raising him well enough that he actively wants to use it to help people despite the limitless opportunities it provides to do the opposite and despite the prejudice he faced.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Considering his power is literally mind control, I’m actually impressed that Shinso wound up in the hero course rather than just straight up becoming a villain.

I forget, have we seen him since the Joint Training arc?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

no, he defined his limits pretty clearly. making you stand still or turn around and walk into a wall is within his capabilities, but he's not even able to make somebody write their own name when they're tranced. they have all the agency and intelligence of windup toys

could he force them to horribly injure themselves if he was so inclined? probably! but that alone isn't enough to make him public enemy no. 1 like you're suggesting. i'd put the meatball kid over him in that category

e: to respond to your edit, even something like "drink rat poison" wouldn't be an effective command, because the afflicted wouldn't have the mental capability to identify what "rat poison" is

He can also just not give you any orders and force you to stand there helplessly until he either captures you(which is what his entire new hero gimmick and training with Aizawa are based around, and what he attempted to do to beast boy) or kills you(if he was a villain), or has any of his allies and associates do one of those things.

Like yeah he doesn't have WMD nuke power like Shigaraki or AFO but the power to basically shut someone's brain down and remove all of their ability to resist what you plan to do to them is ridiculously dangerous even if he couldn't give them any commands at all, and it's almost uncounterable if you don't have foreknowledge of how it works.

e: Remember how Stain managed to murder a shitload of professional heroes with combat training despite having what amounts to a much shittier and more limited version of Shinso's quirk?

Kanos fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Mar 31, 2021

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Larryb posted:

Considering his power is literally mind control, I’m actually impressed that Shinso wound up in the hero course rather than just straight up becoming a villain.

this is literally his entire character arc

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

kidcoelacanth posted:

this is literally his entire character arc

that's a funny way to spell backstory

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Dr Subterfuge posted:

that's a funny way to spell backstory

thank you for respecting my cultural differences

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Kanos posted:

He was able to compel several people to willingly wash out of a gigantic tournament in front of a crowd of thousands of people with no issue

The people who washed out of the tournament did so of their own volition, because they couldn't remember how they'd won that round and didn't feel like they deserved it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Shadowlyger posted:

The people who washed out of the tournament did so of their own volition, because they couldn't remember how they'd won that round and didn't feel like they deserved it.

Which makes no sense at all in the context of his ability and how we know it worked later.

How did he coordinate multiple people without any kind of abstract commands to the point where they could win and advance?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Which makes no sense at all in the context of his ability and how we know it worked later.

How did he coordinate multiple people without any kind of abstract commands to the point where they could win and advance?
Horikoshi might have adjusted some of the details of Shinsou's quirk at the last minute, or changed his mind slightly. Like if his power worked like Karma from New Mutants and was pretty much possession, that would have explained that stuff.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

TheKingofSprings posted:

Probably just some really simple "hold this pose" and "go that way" commands, followed by just staying as far away from everyone else in the cavalry battle as possible.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Nonexistence posted:

We should go to America just to let Hori have fun drawing quirk Texas.

King Hill! Quirk: Propane
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-njtZmmUw4

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

The most offensive thing about that is how non-clean burning that propane is.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

socialsecurity posted:

The most offensive thing about that is how non-clean burning that propane is.
That's why it's a nightmare.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The people Shinso mind controls can be given orders to do anything that doesn't require beyond surface-level thought.

He describes this in the manga by explaining that he could for example- ask a brainwashed person to "write Tsuyu Asui" on a chalkboard, but couldn't ask them to "Write the name of the frog girl on the board". In terms of evil he could tell someone to write an exact phrase he tells them on a suicide note and then jump out of a window or chug rat poison, but he couldn't say- brainwash them and have them write down all the passwords to their bank accounts or whatever.

It's basically a shittier version of the Death Note's rules for compelling a victim.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
lmao

https://twitter.com/ShonenSalto/status/1377276647758520322?s=20

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Horikoshi is living the dream.

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!
The amount of people on the internet straight up thirsting for Deku to straight up murder Muscular is weird as hell given not like two chapters ago homeboy was literally like "One For All isnt for killing, im not even gonna kill the homicidal maniac with WMD fingers possessed by the soul of our great enemy if i can do anything in my power to avoid it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Kithkar posted:

The amount of people on the internet straight up thirsting for Deku to straight up murder Muscular is weird as hell given not like two chapters ago homeboy was literally like "One For All isnt for killing, im not even gonna kill the homicidal maniac with WMD fingers possessed by the soul of our great enemy if i can do anything in my power to avoid it."

Yeah, but Shigaraki has a sad backstory and Muscular doesn't(yet).