Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
So I guess before I'm at the absolute end-game, I'll probably just stick to Hammer because I'm not about to start making a bunch of Elemental Bows before I know what sucks and what doesn't (lol the tobi bow still seems really good though)

But... I'm getting distracted because i need this Almudron Gunlance. Are elemental gunlances decent in this game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raccoonboy
May 31, 2011
I got a reward for getting all sub camps but no idea what it was.... any ideas?

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend

Blockhouse posted:

my friends talked me into playing this I am a monster hunter baby and everything is intimidating and not very tutorialized.

I'm trying to learn longsword but I can't hit for poo poo with it. Meanwhile dual blades and hunting horn both instaclicked and while I'm not what anyone would say "good" I'm at least not totally ineffective when using them. Any tips for properly using the hanzo steel?

Get comfortable with weapons that work for you now until you learn the moves of a monster (mine is barroth). Then switch it up to all the other weapons.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Blockhouse posted:

I'd happily drop it - I tried Lance for a bit, ended up hating it - but iaijutsu is cool as gently caress so part of me really wants to make it work

Though I'm tempted to immediately despise you for hating my favorite weapon, Lance is another one that suffers bigtime from lack of tutorializing (it's one of the most mobile and aggressive weapons, but comes off as the opposite of those at first), so I can't fault you for that.

Longsword is overall the series' most popular weapon, so I'm sure somebody will have a good tutorial vid to post. In the meantime, just keep tripping, just keep tripping, just keep tripping tripping tripping.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Raccoonboy posted:

I got a reward for getting all sub camps but no idea what it was.... any ideas?

It's a little sticker for your guild card. Basically just an Achievement/Trophy, since the Switch doesn't come with an out-of-game tracker.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

MechaX posted:

So I guess before I'm at the absolute end-game, I'll probably just stick to Hammer because I'm not about to start making a bunch of Elemental Bows before I know what sucks and what doesn't (lol the tobi bow still seems really good though)

But... I'm getting distracted because i need this Almudron Gunlance. Are elemental gunlances decent in this game?

Its not really a thing since shells don't take elements. Element will only matter on your melee attacks.
edit: that is to say element or raw damage doesn't really matter for gunlances, what you are looking for is shell level and sharpness mainly.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Hellioning posted:

It's a little sticker for your guild card. Basically just an Achievement/Trophy, since the Switch doesn't come with an out-of-game tracker.
Which will likely translate 1:1 to actual Achievements when it hits Steam.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Shine posted:

25% of goons love to bonk!

Lance main here, submain Horn. Team Pokebonk.

Speaking of weapon stuff:

:siren: If anybody makes sweet MH weapon gang tags, then we can do the whole gang tag thing. :siren:

So if anybody has any Lance Lance Revolution tags or whatever else (I forget who posted LLR; compliments to them), feel free to post them here (or PM me, since the thread's very fast right now).

I came up with Lance Lance Revolution but graphic design is not my passion

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Many weapons aren't intuitive until you have better muscle memory for the monster you're fighting.

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

Is there a site or somewhere in the hunters notes that specifies whether or not you can chop off a tail? I’d like to know when I should be concentrating on that.

It’s also a bit annoying in the hunters notes that you can’t see a drop unless you’ve already received one (even if you’ve already hunted the monster several times). I’m trying to get a pale bone off khezu and I never have, I see on Kiranico that it can be a broken part reward but I don’t know which part.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Imaginary Friend posted:

Get comfortable with weapons that work for you now until you learn the moves of a monster (mine is barroth). Then switch it up to all the other weapons.

This is good advice. Rathian is my go-to for a new weapon. All of her moves are super telegraphed and easy to avoid, and most have long recoveries, so you have a very nice offense/defense flow when fighting her. She was my first fight with World Hunting Horn, and that was when I discovered the unbridled joy of bonking.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

does anyone know if you can edit the action bar? I'd like to put Show Off 2 on their instead of Greeting or whatever but it seems like I can only move stuff around on it, not replace them

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Gaukler posted:

Is there a site or somewhere in the hunters notes that specifies whether or not you can chop off a tail? I’d like to know when I should be concentrating on that.

It’s also a bit annoying in the hunters notes that you can’t see a drop unless you’ve already received one (even if you’ve already hunted the monster several times). I’m trying to get a pale bone off khezu and I never have, I see on Kiranico that it can be a broken part reward but I don’t know which part.

I haven't looked at the Hunter Notes in Rise, but in World the Notes would indicate if a tail was severable.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Blockhouse posted:

my friends talked me into playing this I am a monster hunter baby and everything is intimidating and not very tutorialized.

I'm trying to learn longsword but I can't hit for poo poo with it. Meanwhile dual blades and hunting horn both instaclicked and while I'm not what anyone would say "good" I'm at least not totally ineffective when using them. Any tips for properly using the hanzo steel?

I think longsword is one of the harder weapons to learn, which makes it weird that every game pushes it as the default weapon. Use what clicks with you - dual blades are a great newbie choice as they are dead simple, and hunting horn is better than ever this game, so go hog wild with them.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

MechaX posted:

The best element is explosions

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

MMF Freeway posted:

IIRC it was even shortened in Iceborne. It was stupid broken in base World, poor raths would just never get back up

Fond memories of just DUNKING on Azure Rathalos pre-IB. What a joke of a fight.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

If you hate lance you just hate yourself!

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
here's some other weapon gang tag ideas

GS- Large and True Charge
DB- Will it Blend?
Hammer- KO Krew
HH- Absolute Doot
GL- Team Rocket
Bow- Dash Juice Addicts
LS- Human Garbage

LeninVS
Nov 8, 2011

Does anyone know where I can farm jaggi's on highrank?

There doesn't appear to be a mission to spawn them, and I cant find them on any map

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

LeninVS posted:

There doesn't appear to be a mission to spawn them, and I cant find them on any map

At risk of stating the obvious, but usually the small mons appearing on any map will appear on the quest details. Are Jaggi not listed on any? (Still in LR myself).

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

LeninVS posted:

there's usually a few in the shrine ruins

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

fought like 12 hr rathalos today im tired

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Poniard posted:

fought like 12 hr rathalos today im tired

this but 12 hr zinogres

just give me the plate you fuckface

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

this but 12 hr zinogres

just give me the plate you fuckface

im gonna do that tomorrow

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Yeah but fighting a monster 12 times means you're really good at fighting it now, right?

LeninVS
Nov 8, 2011

DrHammond posted:

At risk of stating the obvious, but usually the small mons appearing on any map will appear on the quest details. Are Jaggi not listed on any? (Still in LR myself).

They do, but when I go to the levels that they are listed in, I can't find them

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

grieving for Gandalf posted:

does anyone know if you can edit the action bar? I'd like to put Show Off 2 on their instead of Greeting or whatever but it seems like I can only move stuff around on it, not replace them

You can but the option name is kind of confusing. When you're editing the action bar it's communication settings or something like that, it lets you swap out the 4 sticker/pose/shoutout actions they have by default with different ones.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Tagichatn posted:

Yeah but fighting a monster 12 times means you're really good at fighting it now, right?

no

my friend launched me into some attack and got i stunned and died

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Poniard posted:

no

my friend launched me into some attack and got i stunned and died

Ah, MonHun. Never Change.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

just the usual hammerbro workplace hazard

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

So I managed to get a set of armor that gives me Guard 5, finally. Now the problem is I don't see any Lances that I feel like are currently worth making. The one that comes closest is the Pukei-Pukei one, so I guess I'll do that, and I'll use the Izuchi one as filler. I'm sad that I can see the endpoints of weapons now and know that the tree isn't worth continuing on, it makes the game feel less magical :( If only this game had Generations' method of upgrading.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Poniard posted:

just the usual hammerbro workplace hazard

Don't tell anyone, but we ALWAYS do it on purpose

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Don't tell anyone, but we ALWAYS do it on purpose

both that friend and i play hammer :ssh:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Poniard posted:

both that friend and i play hammer :ssh:

You have made an excellent choice. :hmmyes:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I beat Village Magnamalo and what a fun fight but also man they barely tried to have a story in this one didn’t they

I actually kind of liked that World had a bit of a narrative and from what I hear this game even at high rank literally doesn’t have an ending yet

Anyway time to beat him in Hub too lol

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Also I know MH doesnt need a story but the characters are sooo good and likeable that I want more of them. Dango cat song

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
I really hope they re-work the Talisman farm. It's 2-3x as efficient to just spam rampages over and over again to get the tickets to meld, and MAN that gets boring after the 20-30th time.

Rest of the game is great, but this easily makes Rise second place behind world for me.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
can other hunters not see you striking a weapon pose? because I've been spamming that poo poo after every hunt and no one ever joins me

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

MMF Freeway posted:

can other hunters not see you striking a weapon pose? because I've been spamming that poo poo after every hunt and no one ever joins me

They're just posers who hate fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
They probably just didn't notice in that last second rush to "Oh poo poo, I have to hit a mining outcrop!"